Advanced Search

Author Topic: CF's Sprite Junkyard - Air-Man's Sky Castle  (Read 23158 times)

October 29, 2012, 12:18:20 AM
Read 23158 times

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
CF's Sprite Junkyard - Air-Man's Sky Castle
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:20 AM »
Branching out from skins now, trying to help others sprite what they can't.
Hard Hat 3
(click to show/hide)
Hard Hat 4
(click to show/hide)
Rokko Chan
(click to show/hide)
Other
(click to show/hide)

October 29, 2012, 12:19:40 AM
Reply #1

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: CF Tries Something Different - Spike-Man
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
Not bad, though your way of splitting the tiles is rather awkward and could end up rather irritating to dissect.

October 29, 2012, 01:22:28 AM
Reply #2

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »
You know, that tileset kinda looks like it came out of MM1. I somewhat like the simplistic color scheme and sprite design. The cyan looks a bit out of place, though.

Try doing another one. It's all a matter of practice, patience and good observation.

October 29, 2012, 02:44:51 AM
Reply #3

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »
Quote from: "LlamaHombre"
Not bad, though your way of splitting the tiles is rather awkward and could end up rather irritating to dissect.
Well, the thing of the matter is those background segments come in lots of different sizes and in a seemingly random order, as you can see from the screenshots I took here.  I figured that, rather than try and fail to assemble a background myself, I'd just take the pieces and let people assemble them how they wanted.

Quote from: "MusashiAA"
You know, that tileset kinda looks like it came out of MM1. I somewhat like the simplistic color scheme and sprite design. The cyan looks a bit out of place, though.

Try doing another one. It's all a matter of practice, patience and good observation.
Simplistic?  And here I was, fearing I had gone overboard with colors!  Well, the cyan--again, we have the picture.  I thought it was closer to the Quick-Man-esque cyan than the blue I used for the bricks.

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I think I'll do another one tomorrow, but I'm not sure who yet.

I just now realized I missed a piece...gimme a minute to update.

October 29, 2012, 06:46:08 AM
Reply #4

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »
the blue blocks are recolors of Cutman's tiles from wily wars

October 29, 2012, 08:00:11 AM
Reply #5

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
Quote from: "Korby"
the blue blocks are recolors of Cutman's tiles from wily wars

Pretty sure it's all recolored WWCutman tiles, actually.  Would make sense.

Not a bad start at all, though I don't understand why you're cutting things off at such odd spots rather than 16x16.

October 29, 2012, 04:57:07 PM
Reply #6

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »
oh yes, I should have mentioned that they still do look nice.

gj son

October 29, 2012, 10:29:54 PM
Reply #7

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
Pretty sure it's all recolored WWCutman tiles, actually.  Would make sense.
Yeah, I'd noticed that, too--not all of Hard Hat's tiles are perfectly original.  I was going to start with Missile-Man (Before I realized I didn't know how to deal with the big domes in the background), and as I did, I noticed that some of his tiles were taken from WW1 Bomb-Man's tiles.
...Come to think of it, those clouds I couldn't capture and isolate earlier are probably the same clouds from the background of WW1 Cut-Man.  You wouldn't mind if I took them, would you?   :ugeek:

Not a bad start at all, though I don't understand why you're cutting things off at such odd spots rather than 16x16.
I knew I had to be doing something wrong; I just knew it.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll be better about it for the future, and come back and clean up Spike-Man later.

I've started working on Halloween-Man's tiles now; nothing too difficult about most of the tiles, but the trees and shrubbery in the beginning are probably going to give me hell.  I might not finish today.

EDIT:  Got a working draft up.  Can't be bothered to make any custom floors/ceilings right now, but I finished everything that was in the original.

November 02, 2012, 04:05:53 AM
Reply #8

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 04:05:53 AM »
Nope, I don't mind.  I'd appreciate a note of credit for ripping stuff,  but I meant what I said at the top of that first post about free use.  And BTW, the clouds actually are on multiple layers.  No wonder you had trouble, eh?  

Huh, seems that spike man is the only stage where the creator even bothered to recolor the WW tiles he was using.  Not sure why he bothered even doing the one if not all.  Every other stage in the game appears to use them almost completely unchanged, meaning I've already finished most of them.  

That's not to say you shouldn't do your own versions, however.  By all means, give it your best!  I've got no right to monopolize all the fun.  :mrgreen:

November 02, 2012, 07:53:49 PM
Reply #9

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Nope, I don't mind.  I'd appreciate a note of credit for ripping stuff,  but I meant what I said at the top of that first post about free use.  And BTW, the clouds actually are on multiple layers.  No wonder you had trouble, eh?
Oh, yeah, I forgot to say that earlier, didn't I?  The background has multiple layers of scroll, making it difficult to capture things because normally they're at least partially covered by another thing in the background.
Well, thanks for letting me use your stuff.  I'll be sure to remember that footnote.

Huh, seems that spike man is the only stage where the creator even bothered to recolor the WW tiles he was using.  Not sure why he bothered even doing the one if not all.  Every other stage in the game appears to use them almost completely unchanged, meaning I've already finished most of them.

That's not to say you shouldn't do your own versions, however.  By all means, give it your best!  I've got no right to monopolize all the fun.  :mrgreen:
I didn't see that so much in Halloween-Man, he doesn't look too similar to anything you posted so far...but that thought had occurred to me.  Chances are I'll probably take from your version, then give it any touch-ups I may feel it needs to match the HH edition better.

Update with Number-Man.  He was a complicated one, but he's finally finished.  Unfortunately, I'm a bloody idiot and I forgot to sprite anything custom, but whatever--I'll come back and get it sometime.
Next up is a request from our new member, verifaman...Edo Village from Legend of the Mystical Ninja?  I'm almost positive this'll end badly on my end, but he wants it for a map, and I am here to help mappers...

November 02, 2012, 11:22:20 PM
Reply #10

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:22:20 PM »
Quote from: "CHAOS_FANTAZY"
I didn't see that so much in Halloween-Man, he doesn't look too similar to anything you posted so far...but that thought had occurred to me.

That's because it's borrowing from WW Woodman, and I haven't' gotten around to the MM2 rehash stages yet.   :mrgreen:

November 07, 2012, 02:14:04 AM
Reply #11

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 02:14:04 AM »
That's because it's borrowing from WW Woodman, and I haven't' gotten around to the MM2 rehash stages yet.   :mrgreen:
Oh, I see.  Well, just as I'm welcome to steal from you, you're welcome to steal from me.  Hey, look; we're dividing and conquering.  If only I could actually reach the Wily Stages in these games to see if they look any different.

Update with Edo Village for Verifaman.  Good luck with your map, and I sincerely hope I did a good job.

November 07, 2012, 03:54:11 AM
Reply #12

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
Re: CF Tries Something Different - Edo Village
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 03:54:11 AM »
Wow, that Edo Village is amazing, nice work

November 07, 2012, 02:56:13 PM
Reply #13

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
Top notch work on the tiles, dude. They look great.

One thing, though- the background, with the buildings and such, seems really... small. If you attempted to put it on the map you'd either need the ceiling to be small or put another background above it, which would look weird due to the cutoff mountains.

Otherwise, though, nice work. The tree on the bottom is really cool.

November 07, 2012, 09:34:17 PM
Reply #14

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Nice job on the village!