Advanced Search

Author Topic: Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?  (Read 20142 times)

June 10, 2014, 12:37:12 AM
Read 20142 times

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:37:12 AM »
So, I'm trying out the Mega Man X series. I'll start with just X1-3 at the moment, as those I can emulate no problem.

I might try the Playstation ones if I can find a emulator that runs smoothly with my crap computer. There IS the X collection, but that's expensive. I don't have money. :

June 10, 2014, 12:51:05 AM
Reply #1

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 12:51:05 AM »
From a gameplay perspective, it's a fine series.  Once you learn all the things you're capable of in X, it flows really well, and is a ball to play (Even if the weapons are excessive at times whereas Classic's are not nearly so much).

From a storytelling/character design perspective, I think it's absolute garbage.  But no one agrees with me there, so take that with a grain of salt.

June 10, 2014, 01:28:09 AM
Reply #2

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:28:09 AM »
Mega Man X was my first Mega Man game and it holds a special place in my heart. The game was a great entry into the Mega Man series, offering lots to collect, but not going overboard with armor parts and plot-heavy stuff. The games are fluid and play like a dream, but in terms of plot I just can't get into it.

Maverick Hunter X is also a great game and Vile Mode is wonderful.

June 10, 2014, 03:09:03 AM
Reply #3

Offline Blutorus

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 07, 2014, 03:02:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:03 AM »
I really enjoy the series a lot, but the main sticking point for me is the gameplay. I am a die-hard fan of the Classic series, but the X series is a close second. The main point that I like is the armor capsules scattered around the world and other upgrades available.

Like most people, the story is pretty "meh", but it's not really anything that drives me away from the experience.

And since this is a Mega Man X discussion, I am really anticipating to play the fan game "Mega Man X Corrupted" when it comes out.

June 10, 2014, 04:53:56 AM
Reply #4

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »
The X series is wildly inconsistent in terms of quality, which makes such a question hard to answer.  The first is great, but it drops in quality after every subsequent release, save 8 which is merely okay.

In terms of mechanics:
    Wall-jumping is a complete game changer, making both stage design and boss fights feel completely different than classic.
    The weapons range from great to nonsense, but making them ALL chargeable was a mistake.
    Heart tanks are meh, but sub tanks are pretty cool.  The later 'rescue reploids' are just stupid though.
    Armor capsules are a great idea but in practice are either yay or meh.  Not a fan of the all-or-nothing armor styles later on.
    Gets a little too obsessed with mech suits and other sorts of movement that are just not as cool as wall jumping and dashing.
    From x4 onwards, if you're not playing as Zero you're doing it wrong.  X very quickly starts to feel like an afterthought.

June 10, 2014, 05:44:01 AM
Reply #5

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 05:44:01 AM »
The playstation versions are my favorite for the gameplay, good graphism and fast gameplay....

I liked a lot X5 and X6, X6 in hard mode is really hardcore (specially with the virus robots everywhere...) The game is really interesting. =)
X4 is epic too!

And it's cool because we can play with Zero =D

June 10, 2014, 12:42:55 PM
Reply #6

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
My brief thoughts on each game:

X1 - Brilliant game that had a lot of care put into it.
X2 - Same as above
X3 - Great game, though imo the plot and soundtrack fall short.
X4 - My favourite. They did a great job with this one. It just saddens me that it's so much easier than the others.
X5 - I've grown to not like this one. I appriciate the plot ambition, but the gameplay has multiple killjoys in it that stop me from enjoying the game as much as I would like to.
X6 - I love this game. Although it feels unpolished and whatnot, I get a crapton of fun out of this game since unlike in X5, the flaws don't stop me from enjoying the game.
X7 - Awful. The 3D gameplay could have worked, but they just didn't try with this game. The only redeeming quality about it is the music.
X8 - Fantastic. It fixed everything that was wrong with X7 and had a lot of effort put into it (much like X1). Most underrated in the series imo.

X is also my favourite Megaman incarnation, mostly because of the armours that he gets. I like that sort of thing. The only special armour that Zero got was that Mega Armour that never was.

June 10, 2014, 03:59:49 PM
Reply #7

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
X8 - Fantastic

Uh... nope?  4+4 stage arrangement is annoying.  Most stages are pretty damn lame, including the final ones. X's new armor(s?) work well but looks incredibly boring.  Giving Zero multiple weapons just slows down his play style.  Axel continues to exist.  

x8 is on par with x5-6 but with fancier graphics.  It only seems great because x7 was such a steaming pile.

June 10, 2014, 06:00:49 PM
Reply #8

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
4+4 stage arrangement is annoying
Incredibly annoying in X5. X8 barely had this.
Most stages are pretty damn lame, including the final ones.
I don't see how honestly. They all had something neat and likable to them (save Burn Rooster's stage, that stage was a bitch) and felt a lot more immersive than other X series stages. Also, flying through a late X series city in a 3D path was something that needed to be experienced, ad I'm glad they did it. Jacob Elevator stage is one of my series favourites by far for many reasons.
X's new armor(s?) work well but looks incredibly boring.
Kinda agree there.
Giving Zero multiple weapons just slows down his play style.
I never got that impression. To me it was more fun and interesting, as it added more variety to his attack methods. The glaive is really pro as well.
Axel continues to exist.
Except he's no longer a bad character. In X7 he was obnoxious and added barely anything to the game experience due to him just being an underpowered X clone with very minor advantages. In X8 however, he no longer acts like an annoying child and his new voice suits him perfectly, and his gameplay is actually different to what we've seen so far (yes, I'm aware about the Bass Buster. Axl is more different than 7 directions and a double jump) and can be used to the player's advantage for quick strategies.

x8 is on par with x5-6 but with fancier graphics.  It only seems great because x7 was such a steaming pile.
I would say it's somewhat on par with X6 but that's only because I really like X7 as I mentioned. I compare X8 to X1-3 in terms of how much effort and polish was, not just fixing up X7's many mistakes.

June 10, 2014, 06:56:48 PM
Reply #9

Offline MrGameGuyUltra

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 21, 2014, 06:47:28 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
I voted waffles.

June 11, 2014, 02:11:35 PM
Reply #10

Offline xavier45514

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 11, 2014, 02:04:20 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
i like it i like all of the games exept for one its x7 that game was bad i hated it

June 11, 2014, 02:54:20 PM
Reply #11

Offline Dr. Crasger

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 12, 2013, 11:55:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
It's alright, although I haven't played anything past X1 and even that I haven't finished.

June 11, 2014, 03:23:30 PM
Reply #12

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
Okay, after playing quite a bit of X1 and X3 (well, a hack of it that makes the game a bit more fun)...

I have respect for the X series, I can tell that it's generally well made.

But it's not my cup of cream soda, really.

The music's good, though.

June 11, 2014, 10:22:39 PM
Reply #13

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
I've only layed X1, X2 and X3. I really like its gameplay. And its explosions, of course. Heh heh.
But for some weird reason I only finished X 3, although I never could use any armor upgrade because I had to find a chip.
I still prefer the classic series in terms of characters and story, though.

June 11, 2014, 10:28:21 PM
Reply #14

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
Uh, you don't need the chips in order to use the armour's functions.
Basically you can have one out of four chips with the armour, as long as you have the part the chip belongs to.
And the chips give you an additional function you can use.
With the leg chip having the probably best one.
There's a secret golden chip that gives you everything the normal four do, though. But that one's hidden.

X3 is a great game and in my opinion under-appreciated. It added some interesting things to the X series and was quite unique in some ways. Objectively seen, X1 is probably better, though. And X2 is just kind of "just a sequel" to X1 ... which is why I don't really like it as much as X1 and X3.