Advanced Search

Author Topic: Chauer's Map Emporium  (Read 2579 times)

May 26, 2013, 06:20:50 AM
Read 2579 times

Offline Chauer

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 16, 2012, 12:00:06 PM

• View Profile
Chauer's Map Emporium
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »
So far only one map.
-- CHDM01 - Sunset Park --
-This map is a small, hard-to navigate valley.
-It isn't really bot-friendly, as bots will hardly exit the lower area.
(click to show/hide)
Download it here!

May 26, 2013, 10:44:23 AM
Reply #1

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Re: Chauer's Map Emporium
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
I suppose I should critic this. If there were no critics, there would be no improvement or self standards.

Before we begin with improvement notes, it feels like you mapped before somewhere/have a previous knowledge of how this works. That railroad décor looks nicely.

-I know/I'm fairly certain you used Slumped and/or Slade to put the music in. There's a certain mapinfo we put in the maps in order to use aircontrol and such. Create a new lump/file called MAPINFO and copypasta the following in the blank space, filling out the information in () erasing the parentheses afterwords.
(click to show/hide)
Anything else do not touch. Moving on.

- Use a program such as Audacity to loop the music/adjust the volume to a comfortable level. It'll decrease file size and make it appear/sound better.
-Avoid having multiple textures from multiple RobotMasters in a single map. Generally try to stick to 1-3 Tilesets.
-Despite the bots not being able to get back up, you should still place a ladder in locations that are needed. Also Thunderclaw feels useless with only one peg in such an awkward position
-Add health/ammo capsules. This is quite difficult considering it varies per map- just look at the core maps and get a feel for how and where to place them.
-When you think you're done with your map, hit F4. That'll run through and make sure there aren't any errors.
-Stick to increments of 32 when raising/lowering floors. When drawing, stick to either 16 or 32 increments unless absolutely required.
-Overall, have fun. I understand mapping can be tedious. However, it's quite rewarding and fulfilling once you finally complete your product.

I'm not good with weapon layouts, so I skipped them. Also on a personal scale the map is a "meh". A decent first map = yes. However, a map suitable for multiplayer and/or bot matches = no. As silly as it is, I don't exactly know where to improve upon this map. Make it bigger perhaps? Bigger as in, x4. I'm not saying blow up the map x4, i'm saying add new rooms and/or pathes.

Well, that's that.