Advanced Search

Author Topic: My opinion on the Wily Bosses. Yours?  (Read 12268 times)

November 09, 2016, 11:28:24 PM
Read 12268 times

Offline supersonicman10

• Standard Member

• A Sonic fan who's not SammyClassicSonicFan.
  • Date Registered: November 08, 2016, 09:14:34 PM

• View Profile
My opinion on the Wily Bosses. Yours?
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:28:24 PM »
Wily Machine 1: The first one and it's... okay...
Wily Machine 2: I don't like it but I also like it... It's weird... In a overrated game but is still good... Also Metal Blade...
Wily Machine 3: It looks like it's based on a crab... and also it's stupid...
Wily Machine 4: Never make one of your bosses' weak point unreachable without a certain item and/or with some kind of weapon. That's dumb...
Wily Machine 5: Dumb. Just dumb. I mean, I kinda like it's design but... it's dumb. Also, the Wily Capsule drags on for way too long... Ugh...
Wily Machine 6: Has my favorite theme in MM6 and I love the boss.
Wily Machine 7: It's a challenge. By that, I mean the Wily Capsule.
Wily Machine 8: ...I love it and hate it at the same time... It took me so long to beat this.
King: ...never gotten to it but if there was one thing I would say if I ever gotten to it... It would be... NO. Like... here are some clips...
1:28 and 5:09
0:55 and 4:00
Wily Machine MM&B: *sigh* It's kinda like 8's.
Wily Machine 9: Best. one. Hard as hell, but the music for the boss is perfect...
Wily Machine 10: Music is also awesome but... pirate reference?
What's your opinions on the Wily Bosses?

November 10, 2016, 12:04:18 AM
Reply #1

Offline MegaVile

• Standard Member

• [Necromancer of Saxton Hale]
  • Date Registered: August 06, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

• View Profile
Re: My opinion on the Wily Bosses. Yours?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »
MM1: Its okay. Nice breather after dealing with FIREMAN, ICEMAN, AND GUTSMAN IN A ROW.
MM2: Metal Blades. Also FUCKING WONKY HITBOXES ON THE SECOND PHASES' BALLZ. THANK GODS FOR THE OHKO CRASH BOMB TRICK.
MM3: Spin2Win baby
MM4: Kinda hard, required all my etanks and ammo. The Capsule was just me sitting in a corner and PRAY I could dodge the ball CAUSE THAT THING HURTED LIKE HELL. Also only had Ring Boomerang ammo and 1/2 Pharaoh Shot ammo.
MM5: Never fought yet.
MM6: FUCKING. BEST. MUSIC!
MM7: Slow Intro. Also can you believe I killed the capsule first try? (I did it on FC)
MM8: Same as #5
MM9: Never got to sadly, never could get past wily 1.
MM10: I like it. Capsule theme is good, clever idea for a double trouble.
MM&B: Same as #5

November 10, 2016, 01:03:38 AM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:03:38 AM »
eh sure I like wily

MM1: Any excuse to use Rolling Cutter sounds good to me - it was my favorite weapon from that game by a landslide. Don't actually like Powered Up's much for this reason alone.
MM2: Worst boss in the game by a considerable margin. I'm convinced it's not possible to dodge those dumb fuck bouncing balls.
MM3: Neither the snail nor Gamma are particularly challenging but they're both pretty fun to fight. Could be better if they were harder.
MM4: Overall kinda boring - Wily Capsule's a fun fight though despite being short and easy
MM5: Slightly better than MM4's overall but pretty by the numbers. That said, I like it slightly less because not a single weapon in MM5 is as fun to use as Pharaoh Shot.
MM6: Easy and weak to Silver Tomahawk like the rest of the castle.
MM7: Probably the hardest fight in the classic series but having to endure the final boss Sigma fights lately have kinda nullified any challenge to this boss in my mind.
MM8: FC final boss theme is neat but aside from that eh I don't care much for mm8
MM9: Goofy, tough, and fresh on every playthrough. Great way to cap off my favorite game.
MM10: Good but too easy so you can't listen to the god tier music for as long
MMB: The Wily boss itself is just MM8's really - whatever man

November 10, 2016, 06:50:04 PM
Reply #3

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:50:04 PM »
MM1: Pretty good. Basic by kinda fun.
MM2: Uuughhhh, awful! It would be okay if it wasn't for that unavoidable attack on phase 2. There's no justification for it.
MM3: Either really tough or really easy depending on what weapon you use. Little hard to take seriously as well.
MM4: Little more challenging and interesting. Gotta think a little more about how to attack this thing.
MM5: Capsule fight was fun, but never cared about the machine.
MM6: Soooo much fun! The music is such a great final battle theme too! Fight was too easy though. :/
MM7: Easily one of the better ones. First phase had a decent range of attacks, and the capsule fight was insane and hectic. If only this was around for MM2 to take notes from.
MM8: It's alright. Little more enjoyable than most, but not as memorable.
MM&B: Same as above only less so.
MM9: Brilliant! Pretty clear why this one is so good.
MM10: Also brilliant. Great music and they got a little more creative with this one.

November 13, 2016, 07:05:34 PM
Reply #4

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »
Hm? I assume you mean just the Wily Machines?

MM1: Pretty easy, and finally actually gives me a chance to actually use Fire Storm on something
MM2: Terrible boss fight, if you run out of Atomic Fire and die, you're screwed
MM3: Pretty easy if you use Hard Knuckle for the first half, and then hop on Rush Jet to take out Wily in the second half
MM4: First half is pretty easy, though the weak point on the second half is a little hard to hit
MM5: Pretty easy. I used to think the weak point was way up on the top of the machine, so I was all like "how the heck am i supposed to hit it?"
MM6: I just recently learned that Wily Machine 6 doesn't have a specific weakpoint
MM7: Really really easy (especially compared to what comes after it), though the mini copies are a bit of a pain to deal with
MM8: This one puts up a bit of a challenge, though it's not unfair in any way
MMB: Pretty much the same as MM8's one, though it's much easier to get to it with low health because you fight Tengu Man directly before it
MM9: Guess who's never beat MM9?
MM10: I forgot how the Wily Machine 10 happens
MMDWR: Wily Machine World 1 is fine on the first half, but timing your Mirror Buster shots and your jumps over the claw in the second half is a bit of a pain
MMII: It's too bad that the Wily Machine World 2's weakness, Sakugarne, is so glitchy, as bouncing off its head is fun! This fight is the only part of the game where I may actually need to use an E Tank, so that's good I guess
MMIII: First half is easy, second half is a pain because Screw Crusher bounces off of the Wily Machine World 3's shots
MMIV: Wily Robo Iron Golem is like Gamma except cooler
MMV: I remember reaching the Brain Crusher for the first time, and being confused because none of the weapons affect it on the first phase. Having to push the Alabell enemies into it is kinda neat. The second phase is annoying, with the lowered spike ceiling, but I just recently learned that the second phase has a weakness to Spark Chaser, which makes things a lot easier
MMWW: This is a cool, but easy Wily Machine because all three phases are weak to Thunder Beam, haha
MMDOS: Wow, I have not beaten this game yet
MM3DOS: CRORQ's pretty simple once you get the right weapon to use on him. The "Nuclear Room" can be a bit annoying with the weird "gravity lasers", but Wily doesn't move around so its fine
RF2: Haha, jokes on you, this game doesn't have a Wily Machine! Actually, uhhh, Wily isn't even in this game!

November 13, 2016, 11:19:19 PM
Reply #5

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »
1: Thunder Beam destroys it.
2: Way too easy, as is with every other boss in the game.
3: Using Search Snake is the only way to make this boss challenging.
4: It was essentially a beefed up Wily Machine 2.
5: I hated this boss so much because the damage range is a joke.
6: It's the 5th Wily Machine but injected with steroids from the world's biggest syringe.
7: I never really learned the pattern to this one because I spent all my focus on mastering the Wily Capsule to the point where I never got hit once.
8: I only played the first level of this one, so I don't know.
MM&B: I'd say it's much easier than the scrolling level bosses.
9: I never made it past JewelMan's stage because of those damn chained platforms.
10: This was harder than the Wily Capsule itself, the pirate ship aesthetic was kind of cool I guess.

November 14, 2016, 01:01:06 AM
Reply #6

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
Re: My opinion on the Wily Machine bosses. Yours?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:01:06 AM »
MM1: The arcing shots of the first phase are kinda tricky to avoid, especially when you inexplicably lock in place briefly when the first phase is destroyed. For the second phase, you can safely hide underneath the cannon, so there's that.
MM2: The hitboxes on the second phase projectiles are completely screwed up. If it weren't for the Crash Bomb trick, it would have made a no damage run of this game all but impossible.
MM3: You can rapid fire both weakpoints for some reason (then again, the other Wily Castle bosses in this game had this problem).
MM4: The second phase is relentless with it's barrage of fireballs and an extremely hard to reach weakspot. Doesn't help it's one of the few bosses that's immune to Pharaoh Shot. At least you can hide underneath him in the second phase, though.
MM5: The first machine is neat, but it's nigh impossible to make it to safety if he manages to corner you. The second machine was pretty meh, despite it's impressive size and design.
MM6: The only Wily Machine that can be hit anywhere in all of its phases. Fairly interesting in that it fights you in an autoscrolling room, and in the second phase it occasionally reverses the scrolling, although it's hard to judge the varying arc of its jumps. Too bad the entire fight (Capsule included) is weak to Silver Tomahawk.
MM7: Another unmemorable one, especially compared to the infamous Capsule fight afterwards, despite nearly taking up the whole screen. The mini-versions it summons are annoying, though.
MM8: Fairly annoying in that it has a sizeable arsenal that can soften you for the Capsule fight, and you have no E-Tanks to back you up on.
MM&B: Just a redux of the MM8 Wily Machine and Capsule.
MM9: I only fought this thing once, but I remember looking it up on YouTube and some walkthroughs, and then spamming the weapons on the second phase and the Capsule in hopes of achieving the "Quick Draw X" challenge.
MM10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH4g_ua5es
joking aside, those first phase missiles wouldn't be possible on something like the NES

November 14, 2016, 02:14:47 AM
Reply #7

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:14:47 AM »
the Crash Bomb trick
Hm? What Crash Bomb trick?

November 14, 2016, 02:27:04 AM
Reply #8

Offline GameAndWatcher

• Standard Member

• Gosh!
  • Date Registered: April 03, 2011, 05:44:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:27:04 AM »
Hm? What Crash Bomb trick?

If you manage to have some extra Crash Bombs, one will instantly kill the Wily Machine.

November 14, 2016, 08:03:25 PM
Reply #9

Offline MegaVile

• Standard Member

• [Necromancer of Saxton Hale]
  • Date Registered: August 06, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
If you manage to have some extra Crash Bombs, one will instantly kill the Wily Machine.
To evaluate.
Wily Machine 2 has no invincibility frames at all. When it moves toward you. Shoot a crash bomb at it's hitbox and it's hp will drain to 0 in a second.

November 14, 2016, 08:18:17 PM
Reply #10

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:17 PM »
I usually just spam the fuck out of Metal Blade holding up and right and it goes down, for form 1 just jump and do it, you can get 3 hits out per jump usually, and if you aren't on hard it's 2 damage a blade.

November 24, 2016, 12:40:44 AM
Reply #11

Offline noVva

• Standard Member

• Drop the bass........get it
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2016, 05:29:32 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:44 AM »
MM1: for the first boss is ok i just spam the electric glitch
MM2: TASTE THE POWER OF THE METAL BLADE
MM3: Arigato Gyro (Jojo reference)
MM4: A bad boss to my favorite megaman game
MM5: Beat turns this boss in a joke a bad joke
MM6: BEST.MUSIC.EVER
MM7: Make me rage quit 7 times
MM8: A boss with a good theme
MMB: Fuck that king fight
MM9: The same with 6
MM10: Really a pirate?

December 11, 2016, 02:55:50 AM
Reply #12

Offline Heihachi_73

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2014, 10:59:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 02:55:50 AM »
MM4's boss wasn't that bad - unless you were talking about the Wily Machine rather than the UFO. I don't have much trouble with the Pharaoh Shot unless Wily happens to telefrag me or spawn right above or below me. Wily Machine 4 however, it always manages to corner me and dump a diagonal shot straight for me no matter how I try to avoid getting in that situation in the first place! Detonating the Drill Bombs or using charged shots isn't really a problem.

I usually just spam the fuck out of Metal Blade holding up and right and it goes down, for form 1 just jump and do it, you can get 3 hits out per jump usually, and if you aren't on hard it's 2 damage a blade.
Yes, on "Normal" mode, you can perfect-run Wily Machine 2 using just Metal Blades if Wily is the right position when the first form is destroyed and that you don't miss or have any shots deflected on the second form - of course if a buster-only perfect run can't be done even on normal mode (TAS aside), why not use what's left of Atomic Fire to one-shot the first form too! Once Wily's started firing those bouncing shots though that's the end of the perfect run if he isn't dead in the last 3 or so Metal Blades. Metal Blades really are overrated in that game, not helping that you can have 3 shots on screen and in normal mode (NES only) all shots do double damage. Yet they suck for killing hermit crabs and giant frogs!

Glad they fixed the Wily shot hitboxes in the Wily Wars, in that version you can avoid them quite easily, and a buster-only perfect run of Wily Machine 2 is a walk in the park - can't say the same about the eight robot masters beforehand though since the AI was altered on all of them, and in some cases are practically impossible to beat without taking at least one hit (Flash Man of all bosses - spams his Time Stopper whenever he wants and only takes 1 damage from the buster instead of 2 or 4; not only that, but Wood Man is the same size as Doc Wood too, and the Wily Wars engine gives them more invincibility frames, so you can't rapid-fire them the same way as the NES). The only ones made easier were Heat Man and Crash Man (one of Air Man's tornado patterns also goes right over your head though, nerfing at least one of his patterns, but no, it wasn't that annoying one and that one will most likely still hit you when you try to jump through it).

I often wonder why the Wily Tower (Wily Wars) boss was weak to the Thunder Beam throughout every form, given that you could choose 8 weapons out of the 22 in the first 3 games (that and the fact one of the earlier Wily stage bosses was also weak to it). Maybe it's a reference to MM1 (Wily Machine 1 actually was weak to it in Wily Wars, taking 4 damage per shot even in the second form) or the fact that nothing has come close to the Thunder Beam since the first game, even nerfing it by making it ridiculously slow doesn't affect it that much.

February 02, 2017, 08:07:15 PM
Reply #13

Offline supersonicman10

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »
BTW, I got better at the Wily Castle in MM9.

Also here's a rant by me on G+: https://plus.google.com/u/1/108470486041655730540/posts/BCtgg9BjWQt?sfc=false

A good things about MM9 is E-Tanks and M-Tanks.
A bad thing about MM9 is cheap deaths, cheap and unfair mini bosses and, starting at the start of the Wily Castle when you wanna go to the shop to get some E-Tanks and Lives.

I have no life. That first phase of Wily Machine 9. I swear to god, I can't hit that damn ball.

February 06, 2017, 06:18:24 PM
Reply #14

Offline supersonicman10

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
NVM. I beat Mega Man 9.