Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn) [V2A Released!]  (Read 130443 times)

February 06, 2016, 10:53:22 PM
Reply #45

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn)
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
Haven't had an update in a while, let's change that. Here's a weapon preview for you all!

Shark Attack

Shark Man's weapon is a reprogrammed version of small marine topography robots that he used to survey the ocean floor. They slowly patrol forward until they find a target, which prompts them to charge toward it. As you can see, Buoy Man isn't too fond of them!

Speaking of Buoy Man, his skin is almost finished, which would put us at three completed skins (1/3rd of the way there, whoo!). Everything is else is progressing about as well as you can expect from a bunch of students who started their second semester recently-- slooooooowly. Rest assured, however, we're still working behind the scenes. Come back for another update soonish!

February 07, 2016, 04:55:40 PM
Reply #46

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
Definitely something shark-like! I love it.

February 08, 2016, 10:20:59 PM
Reply #47

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:59 PM »
Were my weapon concepts looked at?

February 08, 2016, 10:59:41 PM
Reply #48

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
They were considered, but we ultimately decided that we didn't want to use them for various reasons. As far as your Shark concept goes, we felt like a dashing weapon would be a bit too simplistic since your description of it was pretty much Charge Man's attack. Shark Attack was also one of our earliest concepts that we had from the get-go, so we stuck with it.

February 08, 2016, 11:02:34 PM
Reply #49

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
Mind updating the list of what is taken and concepted out? I'm curious if you were able to find concepts for the remaining weapons, have textures being made for maps yet and if all the maps are taken yet.

February 08, 2016, 11:06:12 PM
Reply #50

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 11:06:12 PM »
I just updated the list last night. All of the maps are taken, but we're still thinking of ideas for a few more weapons, and we're really behind on texture work. It's to be expected, since we're kind of making up the aesthetics as the maps roll in at their own pace.

February 08, 2016, 11:13:51 PM
Reply #51

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »
Oh hey, didn't even see that. Nice. Good to see the progress is being made. I might have an idea for Dyna's weapon I'll pass to you on skype if you don't have anything similar, as for Petrol though not sure. Textures are understandable due to the way you are making them.
I recall someone bringing up that a lot of the old music won't really fit the new designs and likely stages, are new tracks going to be made to compensate for stages that no longer fit? Or will that be decided once they are done and textured (which would likely make it easier to come up with songs)?

Edit: Also remembered, similarly to music, I also feel many of them should probably have new bot chats. Namely Sonic, and Torch (I don't remember what some of the others had but there is probably more). Simon's Torch looks rather prim and proper so I feel something along the lines of a "polite gentleman" might fit the new look. As for Sonic, he kinda looks like a 90's DJ with roller skates, perhaps an idea of how he might have lines such as "And we-we-we-we're on air!" and "Sonic Man, signin out."

February 09, 2016, 08:38:11 PM
Reply #52

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
90's DJ Sonic makes me giggle.
I'd love to see that.

February 13, 2016, 06:37:20 PM
Reply #53

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
Howdy, folks! I've got a whopper of an update for y'all today, but first, a quick heads-up.

We're starting on a more regimented updating routine, alternating between juicy teasers like this one, and menial, here's-what-we-did progress updates to keep folks in the know. In this way, we hope to not only build anticipation for our first release, but keep everyone here on the DOS Reborn team motivated. I'm super excited for what we have in store for the weeks to come. Our aim is to make this expansion as core-worthy as possible, such that it will be enjoyed long after its initial release, and for our circumstances as students in the midst of their school routines, I'd say we're doing well so far.

Lots of progress has been made these past two weeks -- lots of weapon concepts have been hashed out, a couple more weapons have been completed, skins are being pumped out like mad, and we're in the midst of trying to get some steady progress on maps. For today's update, I'll be showing off a new weapon and a new skin.

(click to show/hide)
Bubble Bath

Buoy Man's weapon is a close-range "shield" weapon in a similar vein as Ice Wall. It fires small bubbles that quickly inflate and become much larger, before slowing to a halt in the air. The bubbles then hang around for about 8 seconds before popping unceremoniously. While in motion, the bubbles also bounce off of surfaces, so there's no harm in firing blindly. Though only a bit stronger than the Mega Buster, this weapon can be used to create walls of hazardous bubbles that can deter chases or seal off parts of the map temporarily. In the hypothetical game, this weapon would be Torch Man's weakness.

Certainly, if the map were awash with bubbles, even trying to navigate would be a death sentence.

...and here it is!

(click to show/hide)
We've received new bot dialogue from The_Broker, so shout-outs to him. To that end, we're giving a little bonus to offline players: if the core MM8BDM campaign is played with DOS Reborn loaded, Dr. Samba's Robot Masters will take the stage in the tournament, and fight alongside King's army during the rebellion. Of course, the expansion will have its own campaign, but we thought this would sweeten the deal a bit.

We've also got OrangeMario doing sound effects and filling in our musical gaps, and Duora Super Gyro has taken MMDVOL, meaning all maps have been claimed. We're still unsure whether or not this will see completion before MM8BDM v5, but stay tuned for more DOS Reborn in the coming weeks. We're hoping to have a map ready to show off for the next teaser.

See y'all next time!

February 13, 2016, 07:01:41 PM
Reply #54

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
Oh sweet, the concept here is pretty awesome and it looks pretty good in action from the images given. And good, regular updates will certainly keep interest in this expansion consistent.
I do have a suggestion to make, which can be a bit easily done looking at the team for this. Since you are adding the bots to the core game campaign when played with this, I kinda want to suggest something I did back for the original. Do some simply core map replacements for some maps to add the weapons to them as well, such as Bubble Bath appearing in Bubble, Dive, or Pirate as well. Obviously not a lot of maps should have them, but just enough so they appear in more then just the RaR maps.

February 13, 2016, 08:26:24 PM
Reply #55

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
we're giving a little bonus to offline players: if the core MM8BDM campaign is played with DOS Reborn loaded, Dr. Samba's Robot Masters will take the stage in the tournament, and fight alongside King's army during the rebellion. Of course, the expansion will have its own campaign, but we thought this would sweeten the deal a bit.

Oh man, I'd love this so much; though I'd prefer if it'd also work for the other chapters in the story mode and not just the ninth (&Bass). Though I bet limitations would get in the way of applying DOS content to the other chapters. And while I'm sure it'd be impossible to see it happen without modifying them directly, if one wanted to get creative and add DOS Weapons into the core game's maps if DOS Reborn is loaded, as fortegigasgospel noted above.

With the way this expansion is going; it seriously feels a lot more like official Mega Man canon material by this point. I'd love if somewhere down the line &BassWS gets the same treatment in the future.

February 13, 2016, 09:07:03 PM
Reply #56

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
They'll appear in every chapter, except for Wily Tower for plot reasons. Besides that chapter, the only maps that won't have them are fortress stages and MM8DUO.

February 13, 2016, 10:20:46 PM
Reply #57

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
Ah, I misread it a bit.
Anyways I think that only some stages of the campaign should have a DOS bot running around, preferably the ones that by default only have 5 bots or less (such as Hard, Gyro, Blizzard, and Burst. Other stages that already feature a plentiful number of bots be default would keep their bot list. At least that's how I'd approach it.

February 15, 2016, 12:18:05 AM
Reply #58

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 12:18:05 AM »
Thought we were finished for the weekend? So did we, until we ran into a little snag with graphics!

We're still fixing up some issues with Shark Attack, but we're nearly at the point where we can put in the final sprites for it, including weapon icons. However, we on the team have come to an impasse as to what we should use as a weapon icon- a tiny shark, or a shark fin. We can't seem to come to an agreement for what we should use, so we'll throw this one out to the public!

Vote for what you'd prefer in the poll I'll be putting up. I won't put a limit on it, but we'll know when to shut it down. If anything, I'll probably close it next week when we give a progress update.

If neither of them strike your fancy, we have a third option available:
(click to show/hide)

Thanks in advance! go tiny shark

February 15, 2016, 12:30:32 AM
Reply #59

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!
  • Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 12:47:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
I think the grey shark fin looks kinda similar to Tengu Blade (or at least I get a Tengu Blade impression) so I'm not to sure about that one. I'd say the most recognizable one is the grey tiny shark since the navy tiny shark kinda blends with the black in its tiny icon size.