Advanced Search

Author Topic: Stardust's Workshop  (Read 188625 times)

July 06, 2014, 06:18:35 AM
Reply #360

Offline MrL1193

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 25, 2013, 05:50:14 AM

• View Profile
Re: Stardust's Workshop (The Saxton Hale Rebirth ++ domain)
« Reply #360 on: July 06, 2014, 06:18:35 AM »
(click to show/hide)

On the subject of Dio Flash, the most common attitude toward him that I've encountered on servers seems to be, "Dio is OP, but I still like him this way." I've already voiced my own opinions on him in servers, but I'd like to reiterate my earlier suggestion: Promote Dio to Secret Boss status and leave his power level where it was before. You've already mentioned that you tried to make the secret bosses somewhat more challenging than the average boss and Dio already seems to meet that criteria (at least before the most recent nerf; I haven't seen much of him since then), so why not let him fill that role instead? To me, at least, it would certainly feel like more of a "reward" than getting stomped on by giant feet or encountering one of two relics from a bygone Saxton era who honestly aren't all that interesting to fight anyway. (Neo's battle theme is the best thing about him, really; Talbain can pull off the dash-'n-slash far more effectively.)

July 06, 2014, 10:49:24 AM
Reply #361

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
the potato effect part II : revenge of the masked ketchup bo
« Reply #361 on: July 06, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
Music for my posts too, hurr durrr -- not fitting but eh
(click to show/hide)

@alex
(click to show/hide)

butttttt now concerning the topic again.

@LD
(click to show/hide)

@MrL
(click to show/hide)

July 06, 2014, 03:09:55 PM
Reply #362

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #362 on: July 06, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »
Quote from: "MrL1193"
Quote from: "LordDamager"
why does hale himself have no real change. new skin, new hud, less damage. Oh and pretty twilight sparkles when he rages. Saxton hale, who the mod is named after, is probably the most bland and unneeded hale now, with how everyone else is setup. Even clunky derpy Moocho Mun has more abilities then hale himself. The only thing that makes him stand out is how he (probably?) gets the most health, which doesnt do him much good other then stall matches.
I think we can allow for at least one "simple" boss--one boss that you don't have to read the instruction manual to know how to use. Besides, Saxton himself is more or less staying true to his TF2 roots.

Scrooge McDuck is probably more fun that Saxton Hale with the addition of Pogo Cane.
I almost feel like we're shaming the character Saxton Hale by keeping him at this point.

ALSO HAVE A REMINDER THAT "ZA WARUDO" OR RATHER "THE WORLD" IS THE NAME OF DIO'S STAND AND NOT QUITE THE TIME STOP ABILITY'S NAME

though it's The World's power to stop time so ok

TOKI WA TOMARE

.. Hey, I have a question; in this mod, when people shoot The World, will Dio Flash take damage as well? That's how all stands work.

July 06, 2014, 03:41:33 PM
Reply #363

Offline LarissaFlash

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 27, 2014, 04:22:13 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 06, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
Yeah , the stand IS the one that has to take damage, not Dio.

July 06, 2014, 04:24:47 PM
Reply #364

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: June 05, 2013, 05:19:32 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 06, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
You know, if people dislike a gimmick enough that they'll mess with their computer settings to not have to endure that gimmick, I think that's a sign that maybe the gimmick isn't very enjoyable, not a sign to make the gimmick even more annoying. Just my two cents on that line of thought.

July 06, 2014, 04:59:48 PM
Reply #365

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #365 on: July 06, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »
Quote from: "Linnie"
You know, if people dislike a gimmick enough that they'll mess with their computer settings to not have to endure that gimmick, I think that's a sign that maybe the gimmick isn't very enjoyable, not a sign to make the gimmick even more annoying. Just my two cents on that line of thought.

Enough people both like and dislike it Linnie. You can't please everyone.

July 06, 2014, 06:43:17 PM
Reply #366

Offline LordDamager

• Standard Member

• Its me.
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2013, 10:39:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 06, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »
Im not here to take a "stab" at star, as you people think. im pointing out several issues here that were not being handled. nevertheless, im not going to continue with this. if you want to just assume that im only trying to troll instead of actually give helpful advice, then ill just drop it here. I only wanted to point out things that could be done to improve it, not put down the mod again. Oh well, no point in beating a dead horse.

July 06, 2014, 10:23:37 PM
Reply #367

Offline MrL1193

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Dio and Secret Bosses
« Reply #367 on: July 06, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »
The issue I have with the current secret bosses is that it's difficult to get them to appear (or, at the very least, it takes many rounds to get lucky enough times), but when they do appear, they just don't feel like much of a "reward." Like you said, the secret bosses should be something special, something to look forward to, but I just don't get that feeling from the main three.

Berserk Roll, as another Saxton clone, doesn't feel like anything special, and now that rage is based on HP, she's even less interesting. I won't go off into how I dislike her as a character idea again, but I know there are others who feel the same way. There are also those who like her, but I still don't think exciting half of the players and annoying or enraging the other half is very good job performance for a secret boss.

Neo DS isn't much better in terms of gameplay and he still seems to have durability issues. Some people still hate the character idea for being a power trip for Neo; I don't because I wasn't around to see the original drama, but I can understand why some would hate him.

Gamma's Feet...ugh. Before, they were giant, slow damage sponges that took way too long to kill and would usually win just by tiring out opponents. (Ever tried beating a near-dead foot and a healthy one all by yourself, just using the non-upgraded Duo Fist? It takes forever and it's not fun.) The last update seems to have made them faster, but their gameplay can still be awkward at times, as others have mentioned (though I do think they're more interesting than Roll or Neo). And, of course, as character ideas, you either like them and think they're funny or you don't. (I don't.)

Akuma is the one secret boss who really feels like he fills the role well, but he's incredibly rare. He's also practically unbeatable (unless he gets telefragged...or falls into one of Duora's many custom pits :l). Mind you, both those things are fitting for the resident "secret secret boss," but the rarity means he doesn't get to do much, really.

This is where Dio comes in. Dio is quite a well-received boss overall; the only problem is that he's too powerful. But the thing is, he's kind of like Akuma to a small extent in that his power seems to contribute to his status in a way. I actually do understand when people admit that he's OP but still don't want him nerfed. Turning Dio into more of a glass cannon would help put him on the same level as other bosses, but it would also make him feel a bit less impressive when he just gets mobbed and destroyed, you know? (Not to mention the fact that he needs quite of lot of HP to get his rage.) Turning him into a secret boss would allow us to get the best of both worlds; he could still be powerful and impressive (though still beatable, unlike Akuma), but he would be doing his thing in a more appropriate way. I admit that I would be a little sad not to see him as much, but at least he could still be the fun and extra-challenging boss people liked before, and if anything, people would be even more pleased to see him when he does show up this way. (Perhaps you could turn one of the other secret bosses--maybe Roll or Neo--into a regular boss instead? Even if they do show up more often, I think it would be preferable to treating them like "rewards" when they're quite the opposite for some people.)

Anyway, I don't know if you'll make the change to Dio or not. (It seems like you're reluctant to do so.) But I'd at least like to say that I hope we can get better secret bosses than the ones we have now (aside from Akuma).

July 06, 2014, 11:55:37 PM
Reply #368

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:37 PM »
I'm not Star, but upon reading about the recent discussion regarding turning Dio into a secret boss...I was neutral about the idea until MrL started talking about why he should be a secret boss, and to be honest, I think I'm kind of sold on the idea. I think the mod's secret bosses should be Dio Flash (and this gives him a good excuse to get buffed a bit), Gamma's feet, and Akuma. It was interesting seeing Roll and NeoDS return, but it's been proven many times that neither concept was working out that well, and to be honest I get disappointed when Roll shows up after what seems to be like 30-50 battles or so before a secret boss appears. I think it's time to finally put Roll and NeoDS to rest, and make getting a secret boss actually exciting for once. Heck, people have actually suicided or spectated just before a boss is defeated that normally would count as a perfect, so perfects are not that easy to obtain. I think the current count of 5 is perfect at this time. At least it isn't 3 in a row.

That said, I don't think this mod is going to get updated for a while, but it's an interesting thought. I personally think it's worth experimenting with, but ultimately it's Star's call here since I'm not in development anymore.

July 07, 2014, 09:58:34 AM
Reply #369

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #369 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »
I'm not Star either, and I can't say that I'm really a(n important) member of the devteam either. But as someone who has watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I fully support Dio's role as a secret boss.

July 07, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
Reply #370

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 07, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »
I kind of think the exact opposite should happen. Currently there are a lot of outright boring hales in the game (Gilgamesh with his crap hitbox, All of the incredibly boring cut/paste from TF2 bosses) and they just don't much. Dio has always been (at least in my opinion) one of the very interesting hales as he's a challenge, and has different ways to avoid him than other hales. Instead of just moving Dio aside, it would make everything a lot more interesting if the other hales were buffed up to his level of interesting design, challenge, and fun.

...Ok, maybe not all the way up to how hard it is to defeat a Dio, but around that area.

July 07, 2014, 03:11:14 PM
Reply #371

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 07, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »
Might as well complain about Gilgamesh publicly seeing as how he was brought up.

You removed the multi-sword mechanic that made Gilgamesh stand out from the crowd of "hey look mommy I have a boring melee"... and then give him a stunning Jump to make it easier to connect with his melee? Like okay, the stun would've made sense if Gilgamesh still had his other swords, as the stun time would've made up for the probability of drawing a "lesser" sword (Masamune or Excalipoor). As it stands, however, the stun does nothing but infuriate whoever's hit by it, and Gilgamesh's always-on Excalibur is so powerful you don't even need the stun most of the time. Heck, I'm not even sure why Jump has a stun effect; it was supposed to explode, but I guess it was changed to avoid getting in the way of your precious Scrooge McDuck. (Speaking of which, why is his rage obituary still "kicked out of the party"? They're Robo-Ducks now. There isn't a moon party anymore.)

I agree with diversifying the other bosses and bringing them up to Dio's standard. I always enjoy seeing Dio show up; I can't quite place it, but there's something immensely satisfying about playing as Dio and fighting against Dio. His improved jump height lets him get around some maps like Bomb Man and Dr. Cossack's Citadel without having to use his somewhat-awkward super jump; at the same time, that awkward leap briefly stops players around him, which may disorient them a bit and make it easier to land a hit on them. His attack also has two different modes: a tap attack that throws the stand, and a charge attack which adds multiple hits and increases the stand's range. That alone adds this unique shift in gameplay when Dio gets rolled as a boss. The tap attack is fast and Dio's stand comes back to him rather quickly; on the flip side, the punch barrage has much more power and range, but leaves Dio himself vulnerable for a significant amount of time. Both Dio and the other players have to try and predict each other's moves, which creates this interesting counter-duel strategy instead of the usual "run forward and swing your melee repeatedly" seen in so many of this mode's other bosses.

tl;dr - Make the other hales interesting like Dio, don't banish Dio to the secret boss dimension, bring back Gilgamesh's other swords.
y'know it was kind of a slap in the face to have Gilgamesh gutted out the same version I bring you guys his voice clips :<

July 07, 2014, 08:01:48 PM
Reply #372

Offline MrL1193

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 07, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
It would be just lovely if every single boss could be made as interesting as Dio, but that's a lot easier said than done. :?

I want you to realize that I didn't just pick out Dio for this purpose because he's an interesting boss. Nor am I using "secret boss" as an excuse for any boss or gimmick which is considered unfair. (You don't see me recommending that we kick Talbain upstairs so people will stop complaining about the darkness.) I suggested Dio in particular because he's in a very unique position: Everyone agrees he's overly difficult, but even though that would normally result in application of the nerf hammer, people still don't want to see that happen because he's just too fun as it is. (I think even Freeman touched on this a bit in his post.)

The thing is, that level of challenge (for the survivors, mind you) that's part of why he's fun simply isn't acceptable for a normal boss. A normal boss is supposed to provide a fair fight--that is, all things being equal, the boss should win roughly 50% of the time. So if you want to keep the higher level of challenge that Dio provides, the only appropriate way to do it that I can see is to make him a secret boss instead, because those guys aren't bound by the fairness rule.

There's also the matter of making secret bosses actually feel like rewards. I can see why you would want to fight an interesting boss as often as possible, but the thing is, if you just carry that idea to its logical extreme, you're going to end up with the worst bosses taking up the "secret boss" roster. Instead of being rewards for good survivor play (or plain old patience), the "secret bosses" instead become the reject pile, comprised of all the lame bosses that weren't interesting and popular enough to join the normal boss society and show up on a regular basis. It would feel like a total slap in the face to be told that you get to fight a "secret boss," only to meet a boss that no one wanted to see in the first place. Even though it may pain us to see good bosses less often, I really think it's only appropriate that they be the secret rewards, not the rejects.

I find it interesting that even though everyone regards Akuma as being "teh coolest," no one's asking for him to be brought down to normal boss status. It makes me wonder what people would be saying now if Dio had been a secret boss from the start. Would you guys be clamoring for him to be brought down to normal because no "good" boss should be limited to such rare appearances?

July 07, 2014, 08:07:59 PM
Reply #373

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
No one's clamoring for Akuma because he has 1 million HP or something. Dio doesn't really seem that overly challenging really. It isn't a 50-50 for sure, but it isn't a 90-10 in the Hale's favor either.

The same thing applies though. Secret bosses are secret, you rarely seem them show up. So why would you make the normal bosses all the boring ones? A secret boss should feel like an accomplishment yes, but you don't want to actually accomplish that if all your bosses are "look at me ma I'm exactly like Saxton himself just with a different face!!11"

July 07, 2014, 08:20:17 PM
Reply #374

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: June 05, 2013, 05:19:32 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 07, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
Since Scrooge got brought up by Smash, I have to ask something that's been bugging me, why doesn't Robo-Duck have any rotations yet? I'm perturbed by how long that's taking; the lack of rotations makes the rage awful aesthetically, and it feels like it shouldn't've replaced Moby in its unfinished state.

Also that Amazon music is unfitting, I told SJB over and over how unfitting it was and he still pushed it and now it's in and it is just so unfitting.

I also agree on tricking Gilgamesh out a bit. I actually didn't have much of an opinion for it in the old days since there was less variation in general, but it feels like standards have been raised since then and Gilgamesh could use that random weaponry to stand out.