Advanced Search

Author Topic: Cutstuff Mapping Jam 2: FALCON JOINS THE FIGHT!  (Read 20007 times)

September 01, 2014, 07:37:24 PM
Reply #30

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
No cheating!
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
Did anyone find the secret Creeper face yet?

September 01, 2014, 07:43:00 PM
Reply #31

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
Re: Cutstuff Mapping Jam 2: FALCON JOINS THE FIGHT!
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Sorry Caprice. Probably disregarded your map a bit too eagerly because I thought it was a joke.

The main problem is the buildings. These often use what I would describe as 'interior' textures on the outside, and they look unbroken and mesh-y when repeated in high frequency. Main offender for this is the Burner green and black diamond tiles, which line the outside of a large majority of the buildings around. The interior, on the reverse point, uses a lot lot lot of blue and black textures, which are lined across multiple walls haphazardly and well, lazily. They aren't broken up, no pillars in the corner or anything, no real variety and burner textures are kind of bad to begin with. The exterior is MUCH prettier, except for the side houses which seem to use misplaced large blue textures with black lines. Also, these houses don't use pillars correctly, the sides should have pillars too so that every part of the pillar is exposed rather than being a separate texture on the sides, the misplaced blue. The grass, not as bad, but there's simply so much unbroken terrain that it blends into a blur of ugly green with barely any defining features. Using a black ceiling works with the outside linedefs, but not with the trees and random monking found in the centre.
Tengu is used well. Nature is used well.
You should be breaking up your textures to improve readability and using textures with less detail when applying them over multiple walls, so your walls don't blend and become ugly at a distance. Use a larger variety of textures and provide more visual focus in certain areas through use of small details and decoration to break up blandness meshing, and make things look overall more professional and lively.

September 01, 2014, 07:56:41 PM
Reply #32

Offline Caprice

• Enthusiast

• open hole
  • Date Registered: May 28, 2011, 10:52:19 PM

• View Profile
    • i left my soda in the freezer oh no!!
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Ah, that is a lot more helpful, thank you!

September 02, 2014, 03:09:12 AM
Reply #33

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
you sound like an sjw
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:12 AM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
Hi I noticed you judged my weapon layouts for a good chunk of said review.
You don't criticize those.
Ever.

I've said it countless times that I'm not good at those, trying to teach me otherwise isn't going to be of any use.
(Although Tengublade is needed in order for the prank to exist)
I like the criticism despite me becoming near immune when I taste a certain flavor in said review.
You know what I'm talking about.
Yes, you do. Weapon layouts are just as important as the map geography itself, and should be judged just as harshly.

Just because you're bad at something doesn't mean you're exempt from criticism.

September 02, 2014, 05:10:06 PM
Reply #34

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
Yeah, I kinda agree, but only because he's trying to censor
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
We had a huge conversation about this yesterday on Skype, and it simply came down to "you simply can't teach Rozark to get better at weapon layouts, just trust Smash to do the layouts for him" or something like that. Either way, trying to stop people from bringing up flaws in your map sounds... eh, it's his choice, I guess I shouldn't butt in.

September 02, 2014, 09:19:27 PM
Reply #35

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
Honestly weapon and item layouts come down to opinions and experience with weapon sets...playing modes like duel and deathmatch a whole bunch and seeing how weapon and item layouts balance out in other maps could help mappers get the experience they want out of their maps. This has been extremely helpful for me since I enjoy duel and small deathmatch games, so I obviously tailor my maps and weapon sets around environments and experience with those modes in hopes achieving a proper balance.

tl;dr - weapon sets, regardless of whether people are good at them or not, come down to the responsibility of the mapper to learn how weapons work and how strong they are in situations they see appearing within the maps they create.

September 26, 2014, 10:20:46 PM
Reply #36

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Hello everyone! Bumping this thing after a few weeks.

So people had maybe fun times making maps in a short period of time, I dunno if you did or not that's not my job to say, and everyone played on them for a bit and at the very least, they were completed maps.

That being said, playing the pack it is very evident that well...these maps were made in a short amount of time, because they were. And why that's a neat little thing for when it first came out, it's not so neat now.
So here we are with starting the next version.

Basically, I want to release a polished and revised version of this pack to make the maps from "playable but ehh" to "hey this is kinda decent to play on!"
However, I can touch up my map all I want, that's not enough for revamp things. So if you've made a map for the pack and you want to revise your map, fix up bugs, change weapon layouts, Idunno, this is the time to do it! Basically the strict time limit is off, though I'm hoping a month is long enough for revisions to happen. If you have a revision, just PM me or send it over Skype.

However, for this revision there actually will be a little bit of quality control. So if some of the maps just don't get anything at all to make them better, they're going to be canned when the revision comes out.

Thank you all very much, and I'm hoping that some people might be interested in making their maps better without a strict deadline!

May 15, 2023, 09:39:17 AM
Reply #37

Offline Hunters120

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 19, 2019, 10:14:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2023, 09:39:17 AM »
Hello, I couldn't see the map card when entering through those stages.