Advanced Search

Author Topic: Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?  (Read 20246 times)

June 29, 2014, 04:11:21 PM
Reply #60

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
tl:dr version = X5 has garbage gameplay.
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
X4 is my favourite in the series. I just wish it wasn't one of the easiest.

X5 has a lot of gameplay flaws that heavily hold back my enjoyment with the game:
-Alia. She stops the gameplay around 10 times per stage just to say painful and patronizing stuff such as "break down the door in front of you to make progress" and "here is exactly what you need to do, even though you could have subconsciously found out through simply playing just like in every other Megaman game". Some stuff that she says would be helpful if she actually made it more clear as to what she's trying to help with. In the intro stage, most players will lose half their health bar because they are uninformed on their new crouch ability and have a ceiling fall onto them; "make use of the terrain" doesn't help us here. In Axle The Red's stage, she says "you can go proceed but be careful of the hole below you". This part is a blind jump into a pit where you must hold either left or up to avoid death. Bad level design and bad help. Alia also discourages non-linearity by questioning why the hell you want to go to a stage you're not told to go to, which in a Megaman game, is just wrong. Why take away all these things that made the series and its prequel series so great.
-Level desgin. Half the stages (Grizzly, Squid, Dizzy, and Skiver) feel unfinished. They feel as if they end too quickly and they lack enough level content. Duff McWhalen's stage is bullshit. Nearly the whole level is fighting a mini-boss who is not fun to fight, and if you want either of the armours, you have to backtrack most of this awful stage. Virus Stage 1.....that place can go to the deepest part of the Underwhere and rot there for all eternity. This is my least favourite level of any game, and for good reason. Quickman's stage in Megaman 2 was great, but Virus Stage 1 had to go ruin it. The screen moves down with you at all times, giving you almost no time at all you react to where you need to go, and there's a good chance that you will have gone a direction that will end up with you not being able to dodge the laser in the first place. Shadow Devil is mercy compared to this shit stage. Virus Stages 2 and 3 are just really bland and boring and have nothing going for them.
-Hunter Rank system. One of the things that can increase the rank is fast completion time. This discourages the player from wanting to go at their own pace, which is not a good thing. The hunter rank also has a higher chance of increasing if you destroy less enemies, in other words, you are considered a better maverick hunter for not hunting mavericks. What kind of fucked up logic is this?. Yes, I've tried ignoring the rank system. Doesn't work. The game pushes it in my face to much.
-Parts system. Which parts are given is not clear, and most playthroughs will only be able to obtain 5 of the parts.
-Balance. Zero's sabre can rapidly do 5 damage with little effort required, thus removing nearly all the feeling of true accomplishment that a player should get and making the bosses feel like mid-bosses at most. Yes, Zero is an SA rank hunter, but there still needs to be some form of proper balance with these things. Also, what exactly is the point of the boss levels? Them being 15 levels higher barely makes a difference.
-Armours. Falcon armour is the only one of X's armours which I don't like. I can appreciate the falcon inspiration and all, but that's about it. It's supposed to be a ability based armour, but aside from being able to reach bonus areas, it feels less mobile than the fourth armour. It really feels like X's weakest armour in the series. Gaea armour is cool, but in order to get it, you have to use Falcon Armour a lot which, like I mentioned earlier, requires backtracking a terrible stage. I can kinda see why it's gotten so late in the game though, as pretty much every boss is weak to it.

And none of the stuff on this list, aside from level design, I have a problem with in X6. Even then, the level design in X6 doesn't bother me nearly as much. Some areas feel lackluster and some areas don't let you progress, but even then, these issues don't feel very frequent throughout the game and do not hold back my overall fun very much.

I appreciate the story ambition, music and impressive visuals that X5 had, but that's about it. It badly messed up the key element of any game, the gameplay.

ninja'd
Quote from: "Threxx"
How is this an improvement? Reploids were placed in cheap locations that make some of them near impossible to rescue without taking damage from a nightmare, and the parts than some of them have are REQUIRED to beat the game if you fail to get X's armors or have Zero return. It's a stupid system, it's broken, and it should have never been implemented.
I've played through X6 on Xtreme mode many times and I've never once been anywhere near not being able to complete the game. The Falcon armour was given the airdash it needed in this game; that and the special weapons will allow you to complete the game.

June 29, 2014, 05:26:16 PM
Reply #61

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
X5 is my second favourite
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Quote from: "BiscuitSlash"
-Alia. She stops the gameplay around 10 times per stage just to say painful and patronizing stuff such as "break down the door in front of you to make progress" and "here is exactly what you need to do, even though you could have subconsciously found out through simply playing just like in every other Megaman game". Some stuff that she says would be helpful if she actually made it more clear as to what she's trying to help with. In the intro stage, most players will lose half their health bar because they are uninformed on their new crouch ability and have a ceiling fall onto them; "make use of the terrain" doesn't help us here. In Axle The Red's stage, she says "you can go proceed but be careful of the hole below you". This part is a blind jump into a pit where you must hold either left or up to avoid death. Bad level design and bad help. Alia also discourages non-linearity by questioning why the hell you want to go to a stage you're not told to go to, which in a Megaman game, is just wrong. Why take away all these things that made the series and its prequel series so great.
Mostly irrelevant. The most she takes away from you is a couple of seconds of button mashing.

-Level desgin. Half the stages (Grizzly, Squid, Dizzy, and Skiver) feel unfinished. They feel as if they end too quickly and they lack enough level content. Duff McWhalen's stage is bullshit. Nearly the whole level is fighting a mini-boss who is not fun to fight, and if you want either of the armours, you have to backtrack most of this awful stage. Virus Stage 1.....that place can go to the deepest part of the Underwhere and rot there for all eternity. This is my least favourite level of any game, and for good reason. Quickman's stage in Megaman 2 was great, but Virus Stage 1 had to go ruin it. The screen moves down with you at all times, giving you almost no time at all you react to where you need to go, and there's a good chance that you will have gone a direction that will end up with you not being able to dodge the laser in the first place. Shadow Devil is mercy compared to this shit stage. Virus Stages 2 and 3 are just really bland and boring and have nothing going for them.
You say those stages feel unfinished, the only one I'd agree with is Grizzly Slash. Squid Adler's level is long and complete, it included a jetbike section like Jet Stingray but unlike Jet Stingray there was an actual level after it, which was much better than just having a jetbike for a stage. Dizzy's level is longer and more fun than the level in X4 similar to it, Cyber Peacock, because the first section isn't just a race and the second has actual thought behind it other than press every button you come across. Skiver's is fine, has a few bits and pieces. Dark Hold makes Cyber Maze part 1 completely trivial. The quickbeams are no worse than Quickman's actual quickbeams, and in some respects are actually BETTER since they won't activate until after you pass them. Duff's stage, while boring, is very easy. You can destroy the missiles the midboss shoots in its second form, you can avoid the shots in the third easily and it's so easy to destroy the turrets on the first form it's not even funny. Only problem I have is the autoscrolling is slow, I'll admit it's not the best stage.

-Hunter Rank system. One of the things that can increase the rank is fast completion time. This discourages the player from wanting to go at their own pace, which is not a good thing. The hunter rank also has a higher chance of increasing if you destroy less enemies, in other words, you are considered a better maverick hunter for not hunting mavericks. What kind of fucked up logic is this?. Yes, I've tried ignoring the rank system. Doesn't work. The game pushes it in my face to much.
This doesn't matter at all. I stay at a B/A rank with X and it really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I go up to GA with Zero when I fight Dynamo, still doesn't matter. Nothing about that really matters at all.

-Parts system. Which parts are given is not clear, and most playthroughs will only be able to obtain 5 of the parts.
Easy to figure out with how you get parts after completing certain tasks.

-Balance. Zero's sabre can rapidly do 5 damage with little effort required, thus removing nearly all the feeling of true accomplishment that a player should get and making the bosses feel like mid-bosses at most. Yes, Zero is an SA rank hunter, but there still needs to be some form of proper balance with these things. Also, what exactly is the point of the boss levels? Them being 15 levels higher barely makes a difference.
Zero usually has less health as he can't access some of the heart tanks. Plus he has to get in close, obviously. When X has his weapons and upgrades, especially some parts like the ultimate buster, he ends up a lot more powerful than Zero is and often more mobile with the Falcon Armour or much much much more able to take hits with any armour. Plus he'll take less hits anyway due to range. Boss levels just determine whether or not you get parts.

-Armours. Falcon armour is the only one of X's armours which I don't like. I can appreciate the falcon inspiration and all, but that's about it. It's supposed to be a ability based armour, but aside from being able to reach bonus areas, it feels less mobile than the fourth armour. It really feels like X's weakest armour in the series. Gaea armour is cool, but in order to get it, you have to use Falcon Armour a lot which, like I mentioned earlier, requires backtracking a terrible stage. I can kinda see why it's gotten so late in the game though, as pretty much every boss is weak to it.
Are you actually kidding? Falcon armour X almost makes the game too easy. YOU CAN FLY. YOU CAN FLY THROUGH THINGS. The only thing that can damage you while you're flying is projectiles, and those can be avoided... Since you're flying. You can use it against every boss as the laser is powerful and the flying ability lets you ignore collision damage. PLUS the armour lets you use special weapons unlike the Gaea armour. Oh, the Giga Attack is the best available one in X5 too (not counting Ultimate).

June 29, 2014, 08:54:21 PM
Reply #62

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
X5 is my second least favourite.
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »
I want to feel the same way as what you wrote, but when actually playing, all these things really hamper my enjoyment.

Although...
Quote from: "Max"
Dark Hold makes Cyber Maze part 1 completely trivial. The quickbeams are no worse than Quickman's actual quickbeams, and in some respects are actually BETTER since they won't activate until after you pass them.
I always use Dark Hold on this stage, due to my hate for it. Never use Time Stopper on Quickman's stage. In Quickman's stage, the player has a second to see the screen below them and react to the layout they must overcome. In Virus Stage 1 there is almost no time to react and full use of the dash must be done.

Network Transmission had a very similar problem with the Bank level. The screen constantly moved down with the player and gave almost no time to react to anything. I guess the only reason I don't equally hate this level is because of how little I have to play the level and how it didn't copy the original level layout.

June 30, 2014, 03:21:31 AM
Reply #63

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on the Mega Man X series?
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:31 AM »
The parts system is not well implemented in either game.  x6 is different, but not really better.

1>2>4>3>8>5>6>7

June 30, 2014, 04:36:37 AM
Reply #64

Offline Threxx

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2014, 10:52:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 04:36:37 AM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
The parts system is not well implemented in either game.  x6 is different, but not really better.

1>2>4>3>8>5>6>7

This is almost exactly my order, except I put 8 and 5 ahead of 3... how uncanny.

June 30, 2014, 04:34:39 PM
Reply #65

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
X4 > X5 > X8 > X > X3 > X2 > X6 > X7

I don't like the SNES games too much

June 30, 2014, 04:51:11 PM
Reply #66

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
I've played every game through X1-8 except for X7. I want to give Command Mission a try sometime in the near future. Right now I'm neutral about it.

What is everyone's opinion on it?

June 30, 2014, 09:43:55 PM
Reply #67

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Haven't played it, but I don't really want to either.  Looks pretty bland.

July 01, 2014, 06:19:34 AM
Reply #68

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 06:19:34 AM »
I wanna note that X4 and MM8 were both casted in a small studio out in western Canada, not Japan.

July 01, 2014, 08:05:09 PM
Reply #69

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 12, 2013, 08:19:18 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
megaman x is good and so is megaman x 2(music is somewhat bad). megaman x3 is best on pc perhaps because of its easier difficulty. megaman x4 i havent played much but megaman x5 and x6 is the best. megaman x7 is a bit bad and x8 is too difficult. megaman x command mission is good however.

July 02, 2014, 03:05:28 AM
Reply #70

Offline Threxx

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2014, 10:52:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2014, 03:05:28 AM »
Quote from: "andreasaspenberg"
megaman x is good and so is megaman x 2(music is somewhat bad). megaman x3 is best on pc perhaps because of its easier difficulty. megaman x4 i havent played much but megaman x5 and x6 is the best. megaman x7 is a bit bad and x8 is too difficult. megaman x command mission is good however.

>doesn't like X8 because too difficult
>thinks X6 is one of the best games in the series

:lol:

July 20, 2014, 09:59:10 PM
Reply #71

Offline Swordkirby

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 02, 2014, 03:40:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
I only like the gameplay and prefer classic.

July 21, 2014, 12:01:50 AM
Reply #72

Offline The Killer Nacho

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2013, 06:14:13 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
Not even in the bandwagon when I say X6 is a horrendous game. I like to beat games on the highest difficulty, but doing so on X6 is just a stupid waste of time. The level design is poor, the amount of luck involved is insane, and when Inafune said X5 should've ended it and left, it really showed in the poor quality of work. Download the soundtrack for X6 and you've essentially played the game. Megaman X was fun (albeit slightly overrated). X2 was a good game that I think deserves more praise: excellent stages, weapons applicable to each stage, and well-placed upgrades (air dash was a great addition). X3 wasn't too bad for me because I knew the weaknesses, but Sigma is extremely overpowered for a player that is playing the game blind. X4 was innovative with Zero and I loved the creative way that they incorporated weaknesses without completely crippling the boss and making him look like a joke as X (the character) did. X5 was overly complex in a couple ways and was a mediocre entry overall. To be honest, everything after that just took the X series away from the classic, yet fresh feel that made me enjoy it in the first place.