Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn) [V2A Released!]  (Read 129739 times)

November 23, 2015, 05:46:48 PM
Read 129739 times

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn) [V2A Released!]
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
Alternatively known as "Third Time's the Charm."

Welcome to the new and improved Mega Man PC Expansion!

Get our skins & bots here!
Skin Pack
Bot Pack

Get the map pack here!
Map Pack
(Mirror)

Get the weapon packs here!
Weapons
(Mirror)

Whoa, whoa, whoa, those aren't the DOS Robot Masters at all!
I suppose I've got some explaining to do.
As many of you forum-goers know, I have been the leader of many expansions in the past, DOS being the most prominent. I was a staunch supporter of keeping things original and using the source material for the majority of my leadership tenure. However, over the summer, I finally realized that... well, the original DOS games really suck. And to be frank, the source material wouldn't translate right in MM8BDM at all. Seriously, DOS 3 had, like, three weapons that just fired a simple projectile forward, with no added features to them. No thanks.
Instead I was introduced to these awesome redesigns of the entire DOS cast, and decided to reboot the DOS project with completely new material-- new stages, new weapons, new Robot Master designs... essentially, new everything. So that's where all this comes from.

So is this actually the DOS Expansion, or is it something new?
That's up to the viewer to decide. As far as I'm concerned, it is, but the only thing this project shares with the old one is in name only. Pretty much everything else is new.

Okay, who's on your team? It isn't just you again, is it?
Not this time! My team is currently composed of the following 10 individuals (not including myself):
Caprice: Tileset Design
LlamaHombre: Mapper
Galactan: Mapper
Watzup7856: Mapper'
Thunderono: Mapper
Rozark: Mapper
Gumballtoid: General Handyman
Badz: Weapon Designer
Korby: Spriter
Lego & SmashBro: Design Consultants
Trillster: Weaponsmith
DarkAura: Photographer
FTX: Spriter
IamaMedalHunter: Spriter

Well, shucks, seems like quite the team. Mind if I join on?
Well, you can't just sign up willy-nilly. One of the big leadership problems that was my fault on the last one was that I just kind of handed out stuff to whoever wanted it. Now, I'll be going through a harsher vetting process. I would like to see some of your former work, if possible, and I'll require a majority of the current team members to sign off on your addition, as well. Don't let that discourage you, however-- we're a pretty open bunch.

What do you currently require, then?
We've already got some decent progress going at the moment, but admittedly, we're pretty short on hands for a project this ambitious. Essentially, we need everything-- spriters, skinners, weapon-coders, mappers, tile-set makers...

Also, feel free to put any of your own ideas into this topic! Some things are already set in stone, at the moment, but we're still throwing around concepts for a ton of things. Weapon concepts, map concepts, you name it, give it to us. We'll be certain to consider it for the project if it's up to snuff. One thing that would be especially helpful would be prop designs, as a matter fact. We'd love to get some common enemy props to dot the stages with. In fact, we might do something about that later down the line... (hint hint)

Wait, didn't NemZ already make all of your tiles?
Not quite. As we said, we're going with all new stuff here, and his tiles are built off of the source material, which we won't be using.

Will this have its own campaign?
That's certainly a goal for it, but it won't happen until after the first release, most likely.

What about those pesky custom weapons? Will there be a version that doesn't have them so I can enjoy the maps?
Yep! There will be a separate pack that will remove the weapons in order to make the expansion a little more server-friendly.

Special thanks go to:
SnakePixel, designer of all these sick concepts who allowed me to use them. Dude's an artistic genius; go check out his twitter page to see his stuff! (The DOS designs are buried at the moment, but a little digging will find them in a couple of minutes: https://twitter.com/snakepixel)
All of the members of the old team and those who helped with it, including NemZ especially. Sorry we never got to use your stuff to much effect.
Kackebango, for allowing me to use his music once more (and for composing some new tracks for this, as well!).
Rozner Labs & Hi-Tech Expressions, for making it all possible in the first place.

If you wish to apply for helping out, please send me a PM with your Skype name, preferred position (mapper, spriter, what have you) and a sample of your work if you have it.

Screenshots:
(click to show/hide)

November 23, 2015, 05:47:10 PM
Reply #1

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
Re: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
Progress List

(click to show/hide)

Skins: FINISHED!
Bit Man: Finished by IamMedalHunter
Buoy Man: Finished by Magnet Dood
Dyna Man: Finished by IamMedalHunter
Knife Man: Finished by IamMedalHunter
Petrol Man: Finished by FTX
Shark Man: Finished by IamMedalHunter
Sonic Man: Finished by IamMedalHunter
Torch Man: Finished by Magnet Dood
Volt Man: Finished by FTX

Maps
Bit Man: 100% Complete by Thunder
Buoy Man: 100% Complete by Korby/Caprice/Magnet Dood
Dyna Man: 90% Complete by Galactan (miner touch ups)
Knife Man: 100% Complete by Lego
Petrol Man: 90% Complete by Rozark (minor touch ups)
Shark Man: 100% Complete by Thunder/Magnet Dood
Sonic Man: 90% Complete by Watzup (minor touch ups)
Torch Man: 90% Complete by Thunder (awaiting props)
Volt Man: 100% Complete by Duora

Weapons
Drill Pike: Finished by Trillster
Bubble Bath: Finished by Gumballtoid
Dynamite Cluster: Finished by Gumballtoid
Knife Spread: Finished by Gumballtoid
Sludge Burst: Finished by Trillster
Shark Attack: Finished by Lego
Sonic Pulse: Finished by Badz
Blow Torch: Finished by Gumballtoid
Plasma Cutter: Finished by Badz

If you're a tile-set maker who wishes to help, consult the mappers first.

November 23, 2015, 08:51:11 PM
Reply #2

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
I've always wanted to try helping with this expansion. To sum up my strong-points, I'm a jack of all trades... except for mapping. With that being said though, I don't exactly have much to show as for experience, mostly due to none of it being properly released such as projects like VGC and MMWorld. Though I'd still love to help with this project in the form of weapons or general spritework.

November 23, 2015, 11:43:04 PM
Reply #3

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:43:04 PM »
I love that you're using the fan-made redesigns over the lackluster originals. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all turns out!

Also, I wonder if that unused/unseen scientist that SnakePixel named Dr. Samba would make an appearance in this expansion of sorts.

November 24, 2015, 09:14:50 AM
Reply #4

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
Hey, I remember occasionally seeing those DOS redesigns. A really good call that you all decided to use those instead of the original ones.

Will this expansion follow some sort of made-up plot or lore, or a retelling of the DOS plot? Will "Dr. Samba" and CRORQ appear in this story? Does SnakePixel know about this?

November 24, 2015, 04:43:08 PM
Reply #5

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
To answer these publically, yes, Snakepixel does know we're using his designs and he gave us permission to do so. As for the campaign plot, we can't spoil it of course, but Dr. Samba and CRORQ are going to be involved in it. We'll have to ask about using him, but I think it won't be problematic.

November 25, 2015, 01:48:22 AM
Reply #6

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:48:22 AM »
I really don't get why you'd abandon a project that was nearly complete in favor of starting over from scratch yet again, especially when now it pretty much is just a fangame expansion and nothing to do with the originals at all.

November 25, 2015, 02:02:19 AM
Reply #7

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:02:19 AM »
Because the originals were terrible games that are not worth representing with the subpar contributions that were in the unfinished predecessor to this expansion.
In addition, work on the old project had stagnated to a point where progress was likely never going to happen, much like the Megaman and Bass expansion I attempted to run long ago.

November 25, 2015, 02:06:45 AM
Reply #8

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
Hate to break it to you, but the old one wasn't even close to getting finished either. Only thing that was done were the skins, and even most of those were outdated and frankly pretty bad. Weapons weren't coded, maps weren't getting done, and almost no one helped with it.

I'd much rather make an expansion based on fanmade concepts with a lot of help than one based on a real game where I have to beg to get so much as a consideration to help me out with it.

November 25, 2015, 02:41:29 AM
Reply #9

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 02:41:29 AM »
If you aren't keeping some semblance of the original flavor I just don't see the point.  But whatever, good luck actually finishing something for once.

November 25, 2015, 05:10:25 AM
Reply #10

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 05:10:25 AM »
I see 1 issue, Sonic Man's redesign doesn't support his aquatic stage, as he has jets and not a hydro-dynamic design.
Are any of my weapon concepts being used or is absolutely everything being scraped? And why scrap the finished maps? Namely Dyna, like the only good map in there?
(click to show/hide)

November 25, 2015, 05:29:16 AM
Reply #11

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 05:29:16 AM »
Sonic Man was redesigned on the basis of speed and sound rather than on radar and aquatics. I think Simon probably wanted not as many water-based Robot Masters in his redesign, considering there's already three of them in the original.

I'm scrapping everything because we're using new sources. I'll probably take a look through the old weapon concepts, but to be honest we probably won't use them. Dyna's a good map to be sure, but it doesn't fit the sources we're using and I didn't ask for permission to use it, either.

To be blunt, I didn't ask you to be a part of this project since it's pretty clear we have very different ideas on where we want DOS to go. I figured you'd never agree with such a massive change in direction because you were a big proponent on keeping things original, so I decided against it. Plus, it's pretty obvious no matter what we did, the old DOS expansion was destined to go nowhere, because we were the only two working on it. In addition, I personally lost interest in it due to the fact that I was taking a lot of heat for making it based solely on the games. It was time to move on from it.

I want to say that none of this was personal at all. I just figured that in order for DOS to get released, it needed to go in an entirely new direction which I was almost certain you wouldn't agree with. As a result, I decided against letting you know about it. I'm sorry about that, but I figured it's what I needed to do as the leader of this project.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please bring it up with me in PMs.

November 25, 2015, 05:47:43 AM
Reply #12

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
Quote from: "Magnet Dood"
Sonic Man was redesigned on the basis of speed and sound rather than on radar and aquatics. I think Simon probably wanted not as many water-based Robot Masters in his redesign, considering there's already three of them in the original.

I'm scrapping everything because we're using new sources. I'll probably take a look through the old weapon concepts, but to be honest we probably won't use them. Dyna's a good map to be sure, but it doesn't fit the sources we're using and I didn't ask for permission to use it, either.

To be blunt, I didn't ask you to be a part of this project since it's pretty clear we have very different ideas on where we want DOS to go. I figured you'd never agree with such a massive change in direction because you were a big proponent on keeping things original, so I decided against it. Plus, it's pretty obvious no matter what we did, the old DOS expansion was destined to go nowhere, because we were the only two working on it. In addition, I personally lost interest in it due to the fact that I was taking a lot of heat for making it based solely on the games. It was time to move on from it.

I want to say that none of this was personal at all. I just figured that in order for DOS to get released, it needed to go in an entirely new direction which I was almost certain you wouldn't agree with. As a result, I decided against letting you know about it. I'm sorry about that, but I figured it's what I needed to do as the leader of this project.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please bring it up with me in PMs.

Honestly, I can understand your reasoning, I know I would have been against it yes, I will admit to this. Though I will say I probably wouldn't have minded a break of the two worded the way you did. I will personally hold onto the original version myself and so what I can maybe do with it and what Nemz supplied (I don't want it going to waste), who knows maybe I can do something with it all in the future.
I would be interested in obviously helping with a map here too of course, as I'm trying to get more active, either way I hope this turns out well.

November 25, 2015, 09:58:52 PM
Reply #13

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
something something subject to change
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »
Shaky P.R. aside, I feel like this topic is missing something here.  What could it be?  Preview of one of the tile sets and all of the robot masters?  No, that's there.  Detailed description of what the expansion's all about?  Check.  List of progress and who's doing what?  No, that's there too!  What're we missing here?  Hmm...

Oh!  I know!  Proof of Concept!
Let's fix that, eh?

(click to show/hide)

November 26, 2015, 02:09:02 AM
Reply #14

Offline bass+roll=love

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 16, 2015, 05:35:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:02 AM »
when will it be released?