Advanced Search

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] Port Forwarding I CANT SEE MY SERVER ON THE LIST!  (Read 88934 times)

September 30, 2010, 02:08:59 PM
Read 88934 times

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
[TUTORIAL] Port Forwarding I CANT SEE MY SERVER ON THE LIST!
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
Introduction

Port Forwarding can be a huge issue when trying to host servers for your favourite PC games. MM8BDM is no exception. It can be a huge issue or a minor inconvenience depending on your router model, your technical know how and how well you can follow this guide!

Most likely you're here because you're behind a router, or have tried to host a MM8BDM server and failed. This tutorial will help you get started on your short/long journey to getting your router to understand that you want people to be able to connect to you!

Understanding you router

It took me a while to figure it all out because there were hardly any guides out there at the time. Today you can usually find helpful guides or forum posts that explain how it all works, but back when I started this it was all guess work.

First of all, you may or may not know that your router actually houses multiple IP addresses. The two you're going to be interested in are you external and internal IP addresses. Your internal IP address is your computer's IP address. It's usually something like 192.168.0.*. If you have more computers that use the router, you'll have the same IP but usually with a different last number. So for example you could have 192.138.0.1 for your computer and 192.138.0.2 for another computer. These are NOT the IP address that other players will connect to. Your external IP address, can be found at http://www.whatismyip.com and is the IP for the router. This is the IP address that people to connect to (and the one you give out, if you want friends to connect to directly).

Now the great thing about routers is that they're very secure. Unless you specify, certain connections will not be made and it will be impossible for you to host servers for games like Skulltag. What you need to tell your router is which ports are open for each individual computer. This usually involves going on to your router's admin page and simply adding your computer's internal IP address to a list of open ports. How complicated and how much effort is required to do this, is totally up to the manufacturer of your router. Some can be rather simple, while others can be so locked down you have to phone them up to give you access.

Opening the port(s)

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS BE PREPARED TO BACKTRACK THROUGH YOUR STEPS

The first thing you need to do is find out what your computer's INTERNAL IP address is. The easiest way to find this out (for windows users), is to hit the start button and click run (OR windows key + R). Then type cmd and hit enter. You'll get a lovely dos box pop up. In here type ipconfig.

You should see something like this. IP Address is your EXTERNAL. Default gateway is your INTERNAL IP address, which is the one we're after.

Now that we have our internal IP address, type it into the address bar of Internet Explorer. Yup that's right. You should get a login prompt pop up. If you don't know what the login and password is, it's most likely still the default one. Do a google search for your router model and "default password", usually you'll find one fairly easily. If it doesn't work, ask the one who pays the bills (your parents prehaps). If that one happens to be you, and you don't know your own password, you'll probably have to phone your internet provider up and they'll tell you what it is.

Your next step is to open the port for your INTERNAL IP. This is where things can get a bit grey. As most routers differ I can only give you hints to find what you need. Some routers just flat out say "Port Forwarding", while others label them as "Services" or some other weird name. When you've found it, it will usually ask you for your IP address and the port you want to open. The default port for Skulltag servers is 10666 but it can be anything (as long as that anything is the same port you host your sever with). Some routers will have multiple places to put this.

For some help, try searching on google for your router name and "port forward". Usually you'll find either an official guide from the manufacturer or a question and answer on a forum. Google is your best friend here, unless you happen to know someone with the same or similar router. If you give up, your last option is to phone customer support and get them to walk you through it. Sorry!

When you've opened the port (or you think you have) test it out by trying to host a server and see if it shows up on the server list.

Good luck! Post here if you need help and we'll try our best to get you hosting!  :mrgreen:

October 21, 2010, 01:41:54 AM
Reply #1

Offline Zellough

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 11, 2010, 05:50:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/IMAMEGAMANZERO
Re: [TUTORIAL] Port Forwarding
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »
i tried opening a port but my server is still nonfindable... i got a linksys router wrt54g v8

October 21, 2010, 08:26:10 AM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »
Post some screenshots of your port forwarding screens on your router menu to see if we can help out

October 21, 2010, 11:42:13 PM
Reply #3

Offline Zellough

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 11, 2010, 05:50:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/IMAMEGAMANZERO
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »
Oh nevermind thanks sorry for the trouble, i was able to fix it with the halp of my brutha

October 23, 2010, 08:45:36 PM
Reply #4

Offline Blueiscooltoo

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 08, 2010, 12:19:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »

What am I doing wrong? I add this and save it, and my server doesn't do anything.

October 23, 2010, 08:49:05 PM
Reply #5

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
192.168.0.1 is usually the ip of the router itself. Can you take a screnshot of your ipconfig window?

October 23, 2010, 08:51:46 PM
Reply #6

Offline Blueiscooltoo

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »

October 23, 2010, 09:00:28 PM
Reply #7

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
Ok as you can see from there, your IP ends in 6. Change the ip address in the port forwarding window to reflect that.

October 23, 2010, 09:06:23 PM
Reply #8

Offline Blueiscooltoo

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »
it still doesn't broadcast it online, the server still says lan, how do I get it to be online?

October 23, 2010, 09:16:08 PM
Reply #9

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »
Have you tried changing UDP to TCP?

October 23, 2010, 09:21:19 PM
Reply #10

Offline Blueiscooltoo

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
Skulltag wiki says I should have it on UDP, and I just switched it and still nothing.

October 25, 2010, 02:19:34 AM
Reply #11

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 02:19:34 AM »
hi every1

i have a little question of port forwarding

i cant host a srvr so doomthroughdoom tell me this
negrolum wrote:
Hi every1
i have a question that i have from the demo and de full version the problem is:

When i host a server i cant se any1 on my sever i give the ip to my firends and its the same they cant enter the server,(but i can enter to their servers     im from colombia so idk english very well, this problem is of the port i se one reply but i dont understand sorry

greetings,negrolum
_______________________________________cut quote_____
Either you're giving out the internal ip when you're supposed to be giving out the external ip.

Also it sounds as if you need to forward ports. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=751

ok i read the post and i started to have probelms...
so as you have read the quote idk english very well so i lost in this part
Your next step is to open the port for your INTERNAL IP. This is where things can get a bit grey. As most routers differ I can only give you hints to find what you need. Some routers just flat out say "Port Forwarding", while others label them as "Services" or some other weird name. When you've found it, it will usually ask you for your IP address and the port you want to open. The default port for Skulltag servers is 10666 but it can be anything (as long as that anything is the same port you host your sever with). Some routers will have multiple places to put this.

where i see the "hints" of serveices or port forwarding?

thank u for every help  :)

October 29, 2010, 11:28:56 PM
Reply #12

Offline KKSliX

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 28, 2010, 08:58:08 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
D-Link is acting like Quickman and won't let me find the port. It asks for the Application Name, but none of then choices from the list said Doom II, it only said Hexen II. I am really frustrated by this Quickman-like setup! This is about making me just about quit on trying to make a server. I also don't know where to place the port number, on the TCP or the UDP or Both?

November 06, 2010, 10:28:20 PM
Reply #13

Offline playerman

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 06, 2010, 10:10:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
i found port forwarding it looks like this

Ports - Custom Services

Service Name   (box)
Service Type   (box)
Starting Port (box)  (1~65534)
Ending Port     (box)  (1~65534)
Server IP Address   .  .  .  

but what do i have to do? :cry:.

also this is my first post yay :mrgreen:

November 06, 2010, 10:52:14 PM
Reply #14

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Name: Mega Man Deathmatch (or anything)
Type: I'm guessing this is a drop down with UDP or TCP? If yes, then UDP
Starting Port: 10666
Ending Port: 10666
Server IP address: You can find this out using ipconfig. Check the first post to see how.