Advanced Search

Author Topic: [TUTOR] Doombuilder and You: Mapping Essentials  (Read 13088 times)

April 13, 2015, 02:48:29 AM
Read 13088 times

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Existing, and such

• Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
[TUTOR] Doombuilder and You: Mapping Essentials
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:48:29 AM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
SO YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO MAP EH?

ARE YOU READY TO INVEST HOURS UPON HOURS OF YOUR LIFE DRAWING LINES, RAISING FLOORS, AND APPLYING TEXTURES?
IF SO, THEN YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!

Thanks to Zandronum 2.0 and UDMF, the old topic had become outdated. Rather than trying to correct things, I've taken the liberty of creating this tutorial on the craft of mapping and some basic design questions that are frequently asked. For the purpose of what I've written up I used the regular DoomBuilder 2. A version called GZDoomBuilder exists; I'd recommend using that if you have trouble telling where or what your 3D floors, ramps, or texture offsets look like.

Reference to the old topic Link: http://cutstuff.net/forum/index.php?topic=841.0
Doombuilder 2 Link: http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads
GZ Doombuilder Link: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/
The map I used in the tutorial Link: https://mega.nz/#!8f4i1RwJ!Bw3z_8hG86kWPRDLOBe2M2dVJRwG7b_U3wy0C9j6CK0

If anyone has anything else to add (or correct), feel free to post it below and I (or someone else) will link the tid-bit here.
Let's begin!

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter I: Setting Up and The Interface
Chapter II: Walkable Stairs and Textures
Chapter III: Ramps
Chapter IV: Basic 3D Floors
Chapter V: Windows and Skyboxes
Chapter VI: Death Pits
Chapter VII: Teleporters
Chapter VIII: Things and Saving
Chapter IX: Ladders
Chapter X: Jump Pads
Chapter XI: Railings and Brightness
Chapter XII: Map Info
Bonus - Tips
Bonus - Other Tutorials

CHAPTER I: SETTING UP AND THE INTERFACE
So you just installed the latest and hip level editor that is "The Doombuilder" You want to build lots of doom. First we're going to need to get you set up. Open Doombuilder and press F6. You'll be brought to the screen shown.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Select ZDoom in UDMF format. Next you'll want to add resources.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Locate and add your Megagame.wad file and your MM8BDMv##.pk3 file. (Where ## is the version number/letter)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Head over to the Testing tab and under application select the location to your zandronum.exe.
The skill level is 4, and copy/paste the text below into the parameters field (Without the quotes):

"-iwad "megagame.wad" -skill "4" -file "%AP" "%F" +map %L %NM"

Spoiler for Hiden:
Press Ok and enter in the map code for your map. Usually you want something like ROZ01 or LEG01, but for the time being let's just
put BOOTY. If it stays as MAP01, you're going to get an unfriendly Sniper Joe and accidentally replace Light's Lab.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Familiarize yourself with at least these things.
From left to right on each color:
RED BOX - New Map, Open Map, Save Map, Script Editor
BLUE BOX - Vertex Mode, Linedef Mode, Sector Mode, Brightness Mode, Make Sectors Mode(?), Thing Mode, Visual Mode
GREEN BOX - Snap to Grid, Merge Geometry (Have those two on), Copy/Paste Properties, Curve Linedef (These last few are only available during Linedef Mode)

Ctrl C - Copy
Ctrl V/Mouse wheel click - Paste
Shift + J - Join Sectors
Insert - Place a vertex/start drawing a line
Delete - Deletes desired thing
E - Edit
F - Flip Linedef
W - Enter Visual Mode
F3 - Texture/Thing Search
F4 - Error Analysis
F9 - Testing
(Moving in Visual Mode)
E - Forward
D - Backward
S - Left
F - Right
G - Toggle Gravity

Spoiler for Hiden:
Here's the grid. By default each square is 32 units and each "Blue" square is 64 units. This game uses a "Rule of 32" and you should
scale correctly towards that. There's a few exceptions we'll mention later on, for now just stick to the blue lines when possible.
Got all that? Good! Let's make a box!
Enter linedef mode and press insert to draw a fancy line. Draw a box. Woo.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Next you'll want to enter Thing mode and press insert. Go to Editor things and insert a visual mode camera. One exists by default, but with this you'll be able to track yourself much easier while in visual mode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I made a thing a bit too small. Select the line and press E to edit it. Stretch it out a few more units.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Make two more sectors on the sides as shown.

CHAPTER II: WALKABLE STAIRS AND TEXTURES
Flow is important in a map. Make -most- of your stairs walkable. Please.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Create smaller rectangle sectors in the appropriate area.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Press W and enter visual mode. The ceiling is quite low, so select the ceiling and raise it up using your mousewheel, remembering to stay in 32 units. Raise the two side areas up 32x3 and 32x4 units respectively. An easy way to remember what 32 units is is the red ! that appears on missing textures. A whole ! and the tiny space around it is 32 units.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Move the tiny rectangles in increments of 16 in a stair-like formation.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Silly me, I overestimated how many rectangles I'd need. Select the parent sector (1) followed by the child sector (2+). Hit Shift + J and you'll join both sectors together, making things much cleaner.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Be sure to delete any leftover vertices.

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you're like any normal mapper, you'll hate Airman with a burning passion. Destroy his corruption by adding in textures. Right click a side while in visual mode to enter this screen. Familiarize yourself with the properties tab; we'll be back to it later. For now click the sidedefs tab.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Most of the time you'll only want to bother with the red ! (or other textures) when placing textures.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Upon clicking the red ! you'll enter this screen. Find your desired texture. For the time being, I'll be using the red/blue Centaur squares as those provoke feelings of tutorials. Make sure you have All selected in order to see everything.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bam. It looks great. Maybe.

Spoiler for Hiden:
After you've let your inner artist paint everything blandly (and after the stairs are completed) you'll now have a room with walkable stairs leading to nowhere important. Congrats.

CHAPTER III: RAMPS
But senor, I want to have a fancy ramp!
Ok, have a fancy ramp. I don't care, it's your map. Make Ramphat City. Please don't that never goes well

Spoiler for Hiden:
Make a fun square here. (Romantic drawings oh yea)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Put your ramp height equivalent to the floor that you want to ramp on.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Apply the appropriate textures. Take note that the sides of the ramp are shown on a slanting angle, often times destroying certain textures. The front should also have a texture so that software users have nothing to worry about.

Spoiler for Hiden:
See that line? Right click it. Now is also a good time to note the little prong sticking out of the line. That is the direction the line is facing. Make sure it's jutting outwards.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You should click that highlighted box in red. It's the action box. Once you start knowing some sweet actions you can just type the number in. Go find Plane Align (Slope).

Spoiler for Hiden:
Copy the options shown here. Notably, Align floor. As shown you can also do ceilings but we're not here to do that.
Boom. Your map is now Darkman1 accessible.

CHAPTER IV: BASIC 3D FLOORS
The big daddy that renovated a whole version of MM8BDM mapping. Oh baby, we're going deep.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Create a square within a square. Delete the center portion to create a wall. Now is a good time to mention that the solid white lines means the line is impassable. It's a wall.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Tag the sector you want the 3D floor to be in.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Next create a "Dummy" Sector off to the side in an unplayable area. Right click one of the lines and the properties box will come up. Action 160>Sector Tag (Whatever the desired spot tag is)>Type Solid>Alpha 255. Reduce the Alpha for more transparent 3D floors.

Spoiler for Hiden:
If done correctly, the sides will light up when hovered over.

Spoiler for Hiden:
3D floor heights work abnormally. The ceiling is the part you're walking on (The floor in game) while the floor is the ceiling/underside of the 3D floor (The ceiling in game). For now set the 3D floor to the numbers shown and select your textures for the floor/ceiling.

Spoiler for Hiden:
A side-by-side of where the floor will end up. (Height relation, not the literal place where it'll end up)
Woo.

CHAPTER V: WINDOWS AND SKYBOXES
Unless you're a vampire you want sunlight; the outdoors can be great too you know. Let's put in a window.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's difficult to describe the important parts of it now but make this structure off to the side and you'll see why soon enough.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Raise the floor by 32 units there and lower the ceiling by 32 units. This creates a secure enclosed area that is comfortable to window solicitors.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right click the three lines selected. This is the "Horizon". Action it with 9, the Line Horizon.

Spoiler for Hiden:
After you're done with that, you'll want a special texture to allow your skybox to be shown. Look for the texture F_SKY1 and apply it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Draw a giant square off to the side, highlight the sector, and click curve linedefs. Make sure you have your wall textures set up
before you hit curve, otherwise you're going to have a real bad time. (Just apply textures for the floor/ceiling/wall before circling it)

Spoiler for Hiden:
This box happens. Mimic the settings and watch as that square becomes a circle.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Next you'll want to insert a thing. Go to thing mode and insert one. Scroll down to Cameras and Interpolation and add a skybox viewpoint. Make sure the thing is raised by at least 8 units. (Z height)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Time to create the actual window glass/pane/window. Add a line in the middle of that sector and give it action 208, translucent line.
Wrap it, Block it, make it impassable. Finally make it transparent for a desired look and feel.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Here's what things look like in visual mode.

CHAPTER VI: DEATHPITS
You know it's just a black texture right? Being a mapper changes your view on so many things.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Make a side room like so.

Spoiler for Hiden:
How it looks in visual mode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Select the area you want to kill people and give it a tag. Make the floor black or something.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Open up the script editor and go to the scripts tab. #include "zcommon.acs" should ALWAYS be at the top of the script page, so make sure you put it there. Add the simple lines of code shown to make your deathpit work. The first number is the sector tag, the second number is the damage (always set to 255), and the last segment is the death type. This exists for the correct obituary. MOD_FALLING for pits, MOD_ICE for ice deaths, MOD_LAVA for melting lava, MOD_SLIME for mutations, and MOD_WATER for drowning. Click the compile scripts button, hit ok, and your pit is ready to become the bane of everyone's fun.

CHAPTER VII: TELEPORTERS
ZDR 2.0 really screwed these up ('^')

Spoiler for Hiden:
Make two sectors as shown and apply a teleport floor texture to it. Depending on the location of the sector you'll need a different texture offset. Make sure the floor is raised 32 units.

Spoiler for Hiden:
What it should look like in visual mode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Insert a thing>Teleports>Teleport Destination. Adjust the facing angle off to the side.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Action Tab>Give it a new tag. Duplicate the destination for a 2 way teleporter and adjust the tag so they aren't duplicates. (3 for the first one, 4 for the second in the example)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Insert a thing>Sector Action>Actor hits floor.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Action 226>Script Number 973>Script Argument 1 is the tag you gave the teleport destination.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Duplicate for 2 way teleporters (Make sure to change the tag!) and place them on top of each other in the teleporter sector/area.

CHAPTER VIII: THINGS AND SAVING
Because oh how disappointed you'll be if you were to lose 6 hours of work.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The keen eye will have already noticed that I've had a deathmatch spawn sitting in the map for the past few screenshots.
Player Start>Player Deathmatch start. Have 32 of these.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Use the things marked with MM8BDM. Spread weapons, assists, health, and energy around the map in an orderly manner. If it's a party ball, make sure to raise the height of it so it isn't just being a lame party ball.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Click save to save your work, duh. Where as the first thing we put in was the map code, this is the actual map name. Name it something great. I heard Adjective Location is a popular naming scheme for this game.

CHAPTER IX: LADDERS
Expand the Dong, Donkey Kong. Apes totally climb trees

Spoiler for Hiden:
Create this fancy little shack off to the side.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The important parts while viewing in visual mode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Add a 32 unit long line where the ladder is going. Make sure the prong is sticking towards where people are going to climb up the ladder. Action 128>Force15>Repeatable Action>Player Bumps. If there's a ceiling sector coming down on the area above the ladder, you'll be able to climb above the ladder as well (Unintended area). You probably shouldn't be doing that. Alternatively, make the ladders activate on the front side only.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Give the sidedef a ladder texture. Presto. Complete.

CHAPTER X: JUMP PADS
The future is nigh.

Spoiler for Hiden:
This is pretty simple. Throw down another "Actor hits floor" thing and go to the action tab. Action 128>Force80, or whatever you want it to be. Put the thing on top of a raised sector, usually one that mimics fans. Yea we're done here.

CHAPTER XI: RAILINGS AND BRIGHTNESS
Gotta idiotproof those pits yo.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shown here is the grid size. For the time being, switch it to 16 units.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Create a line and right click to enter the properties tab. Lower Unpegged>Walkable Mid Texture.

Spoiler for Hiden:
For rails created like this, you want to put a texture on both sides of the mid area. Find your favorite rail.

Spoiler for Hiden:
How the ladders, jump pads, and railing look in visual mode.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Enter sector mode, go off to the side and drag over the entire map. This will highlight the whole thing. Right click a sector and turn the brightness to 255. This isn't doom; we like bright lights. Keep them on please.

CHAPTER XII: MAP INFO
This is horribly brief

Spoiler for Hiden:
Go to your favorite Slumped/Slade program and open up your map.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Create a new lump, MAPINFO. Below is a quick copy/paste:

map BOOTY "Uncharted Booty"
{
   next = "BOOTY2"
   sky1 = "BLACK", 0
   cluster = 1
   music = "GUTMUS"
   aircontrol = 0.5
   forcenoskystretch
   clipmidtextures
   evenlighting
}

The things you'll want to change for your own map:
BOOTY is the map code.
"Uncharted Booty" is the map name.
BOOTY2 is the map code of the next map. If it's the last map in the pack, then it loops back to the first map.
GUTMUS is the music code.

Save the lump changes then save the wad, otherwise it won't be saved.
Also NEVER EVER SAVE IN DOOMBUILDER AFTER SLUMPED/SLADE CHANGES WERE MADE IF YOU DECIDE TO DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. Re-open that map.
Yea done deal.

BONUS - TIPS

- 32 Deathmatch Starts.
- 255 Brightness.
- Stick to a 32x32 grid. 64x64 and 16x16 are acceptable at times, probably even 8x8.
- Don't draw a stagnating room. Unless it's a hallway, the majority of rooms should have at least 3 entrances/exits.
- Fix texture offsets to the best of your ability. Please.
- Take frequent breaks if you begin to feel a creative block. Don't demotivate yourself out of it.
- Don't put a wall texture on the floor, don't put a railing texture on the floor, etc.
- Be aware of OOPAs (Out of Place Aesthetics). Despite being aesthetics, these look, well, out of place and bad. Don't do it.
- Don't be too concerned about where the texture originated from. If it matches the overall feel or segment of a map you wanted to do, then use it.
- Need to replace a thing or texture? Hit F3!
- Once you're finished with your map, hit F4. Run the analysis and it'll pick up any errors you might've missed. If none show up, congrats! Your map is finished.
- SLOPED 3D FLOORS DO NOT EXIST.
- It's acceptable (and recommended) to have only about 8 weapons per map. Buster upgrades count towards this. The max that it should probably ever be is 10. Any more weapons than 10 and you're creating a mess.

BONUS - OTHER TUTORIALS
Things by other people that I probably forgot to add because this took so long to write up.

- General Architectural Do's and Don'ts: http://www.wired.com/2004/03/15-rules-f ... the-world/

- Mendez has a video tutorial collection, for those who are more visual than nonvisual: http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10315#p329324

PEACE OUT I'M OUTTA HERE

[9:21:07 PM] Rozark Kyouko: I listened to mario paint for 4 hours
[9:21:10 PM] Rozark Kyouko: I can't fucking take it anymore
[9:21:14 PM] Rozark Kyouko: you know what I switched to
[9:21:16 PM] Rozark Kyouko: darude sandstorm

[10:45:15 PM] Rozark Kyouko: Darude sandstorm for 1 1/2 hours
[10:45:18 PM] Rozark Kyouko: this project was brutal

April 13, 2015, 03:44:17 PM
Reply #1

Offline Jdude330

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: July 22, 2013, 12:57:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: [TUTOR] Doombuilder and You: Basic Doombuilder and Map T
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
Yay

Now i'm less screwed

thanks Rozark

April 13, 2015, 10:18:03 PM
Reply #2

Offline Rui

• MM8BDM Extender

• I believe in you!

• Date Registered: November 05, 2011, 12:47:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:18:03 PM »
>New tutorial

rozark you have done great for the world

I'm so glad this exists!!! I'm totally going to take the time to follow this step-by-step :D

April 14, 2015, 03:23:36 AM
Reply #3

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:23:36 AM »
Dude, awesome job!

May 09, 2015, 07:56:05 PM
Reply #4

Offline MatyuX320

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: May 08, 2015, 09:10:12 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
how to change the textures of the vertices of the walkable stairs in the part lower?

May 09, 2015, 08:08:48 PM
Reply #5

Offline Lego

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc

• Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »
You don't change the text of a vertex, you change the texture of a linedef.
Right click on the line you want to change the texture of in linedefs mode to open the properties menu. You can change the textures under the sidedefs tab.

October 22, 2015, 08:11:43 PM
Reply #6

Offline Jonnyloko280

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: May 25, 2015, 05:16:20 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
Hey! I wanted to know if its possible to make a house where i can walk in the roof...

October 22, 2015, 09:49:23 PM
Reply #7

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Existing, and such

• Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »
Yea it's possible, but you would need to make the roof flat or a completely solid house/can't enter the house due to sloped 3D floors not existing.

Unless "in" wasn't a typo and you meant literally inside the roof. In that case, good luck with roping a bunch of 3D floors to format the roof.

October 23, 2015, 12:28:07 AM
Reply #8

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• I'm purrfect

• Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 12:28:07 AM »
Technically, sloped 3d floors can exist, but only in OpenGL rendering. When you try to render sloped 3d floors in Software, they simply don't appear. Yet again another reason to drop software renderng off the face of the earth and stick exclusively to OpenGL (._. )

April 29, 2016, 12:03:23 AM
Reply #9

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• I'm purrfect

• View Profile
Re: [TUTOR] Doombuilder and You: Mapping Essentials
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »
I made a tutorial similar to this one, but using GZDB instead of Doombuilder 2. Hopefully it covers as much as needed for people to start mapping. I'll make another video covering water/teleporters/scripts when I find the time.

May 08, 2016, 07:23:08 PM
Reply #10

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• I'm purrfect

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 07:23:08 PM »
Sorry for the triple post, but here's another video that goes over even more aspects of mapping that weren't included in the basic tutorial. If you want to look at everything inside GZDB, here's the map file as well.

July 04, 2016, 03:56:19 PM
Reply #11

Offline TheRealRoyale

• Standard Member

• MOGMOGYUMMOGMOGMOG

• Date Registered: June 11, 2016, 04:58:20 PM

• View Profile
    • dat boi
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
for the sloping stuff, mine skips from 115 to 200. what i do?
EDIT: problema resuelto

July 04, 2016, 09:02:55 PM
Reply #12

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• I'm purrfect

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
Do you have a screenshot to explain what you're talking about? That always helps. I'm going to assume you're talking about the action numbers. If you type in "181" into the box right next to the word "Action", then you should see "Plane Align (Slope)" pop up next to the number 181. Then you should be able to follow the tutorial from there.

August 04, 2016, 05:05:47 PM
Reply #13

Offline TheRealRoyale

• Standard Member

• MOGMOGYUMMOGMOGMOG

• Date Registered: June 11, 2016, 04:58:20 PM

• View Profile
    • dat boi
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 05:05:47 PM »
How do i make chatting props? like cutman in dr light labs

October 16, 2016, 12:42:38 AM
Reply #14

Offline MetalMasher

• Standard Member

• Bloody Devotion

• Date Registered: June 27, 2016, 02:26:47 PM

• View Profile
    • Mega Man Rocks Discord:
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 12:42:38 AM »
Nice tutorial! but when i make windows, in the celling rate, when i put 32 the celling rate bugs and stays that red icon, how i make windows without that happen?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Who is the character to the right of the Cutstuff Forums logo above? (in lowercase, no spaces):