Advanced Search

Author Topic: Marioluigi001's Strength In Numbers Custom Maps V1H Released  (Read 12426 times)

July 11, 2014, 12:58:22 AM
Read 12426 times

Offline marioluigi001

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 12, 2012, 11:53:24 PM

• View Profile
Sorry this update took so long, I've been extremely busy lately because of school.

I really like Mission Mode / Strength In Numbers ( If you don't know, it is a mod where you choose a robot master and play a stage just like the normal 2D series, but in 3D, playing as Megaman, Protoman, Roll, or Bass) So I took a shot at making my own Strength in Numbers Maps.

I'll put a link to each thing you need to play these maps.

MM8BDM-V4a

https://mega.co.nz/#!KURhwRjJ!Tc_LsjEQSAH9kIhdeEbgLBT0kb5Ckyz6oqvX_DLoaQM

Find The RM Map pack

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p37f1nof05n7ceq/Find+The+RM+Mappack.pk3

Megaman Mission Mode / Strength in Numbers

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7dre42y6qqe5fiy/MMSP-PublicDemo1d.pk3

Marioluigi001's Mission Mode Map Pack V1H

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nekxwwhh652zj72/Marioluigi001%27s+Mission+Mode+Maps+V1H.wad

This map pack includes a stage for

Giga Roll
Bomb Man
Fire Man
Hard Man

(click to show/hide)

Change Log:
(click to show/hide)

Special Thanks
(click to show/hide)

Note: For these maps to work, the "No Monsters" setting in gameplay options must be turned off.

Note #2: Boss Doors are activated by pressing the "Use" button.

Note #3: There is a weird glitch with the buttons where when you press Use it wont activate it, this is usually fixed by walking around the button while pressing Use, and eventually, it will activate. If anyone can tell me how to fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

All Resources used in this map pack belong to their respective owners. I take no credit in making any of the resources used.

And if you have any suggestions for a stage you want me to make,  post, or message me. But please note I can only make stages from Megaman 1-6 and there are some bosses from those games I do not have.

Enjoy! And feel free to tell me what you think of the stages.

July 12, 2014, 04:42:50 AM
Reply #1

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: June 05, 2013, 05:19:32 PM

• View Profile
Re: Marioluigi001's Strength In Numbers Custom Maps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »
I figured since you went to the effort to make these, I should do my best to review it. Right now I've only done Bombman, because I found quite a bit to review. I might do Gigaroll later.

Spoilering since this is pretty large and has a lot of large screenshots.

(click to show/hide)
It's really nice that someone is taking initiative with making MMSP maps, but this map needs a lot of reworking to be playable. It took me about two hours longer to write this than I had planned, so I'm not going to detail Giga Roll's stage today; I might do it tomorrow when I have a day of free time. I've never made an SP map myself, so I stuck with just general mapping advice and just tackled the larger issues mostly.

July 12, 2014, 05:25:54 AM
Reply #2

Offline marioluigi001

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:25:54 AM »
Thank You for taking the time to review my maps. I will try my best to fix at least a few of those problems that you have mentioned. But you are correct, I am actually not good at coding things at all.

July 12, 2014, 05:37:17 AM
Reply #3

Knux

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:37:17 AM »
Must be tough trying to do everything on your own, but remember to be receptive of feedback as you are being. It will help you in the long run.

EDIT: I also suggest that you look at the Coop maps and see what's good about them, then try to follow those standards. Copying at first is okay, as it will help you get a good feel about what a playable map is.

July 12, 2014, 05:43:35 AM
Reply #4

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:43:35 AM »
Yeah, I bet if you can get the mapping aspect up to a good enough standard, you could find someone who might help code you some enemies; I know TailsMK4 is going to make Woodman's boss and enemies for the two people collaborating on Woodman SP, for example. You should work on the map aspect before asking for a vote a confidence, but it's something to think about once that's done.

July 12, 2014, 06:46:02 AM
Reply #5

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:02 AM »
Indeed, I'm the one coding enemies, and I actually do have a Bomb Man boss, but I lack a few sprites I need to make it complete. Anyway, I guess it was because I did not have the Find the RM mappack that I never saw any enemies in these maps, but really you should have included the coding for the bosses. I wasn't even aware until I saw this thread again that the bosses actually existed. So anyway, onto the maps. Linnie covered pretty much all I wanted to say, other than that the enemy placement is sometimes kind of evil on the Bomb Man map, like the Sniper Joe Defense Team there. I also wanted to say that the Bomb Man map is way too short. You need to probably triple the length of the map for it to be a decent size. Regarding the Giga Roll map, I will say that the map design was a little bit better, but as a WIP stage Giga Roll is a decent start.

(click to show/hide)

The Giga Roll map has some potential in it. If I am provided the necessary graphics needed for attacks and such, I actually can code a Giga Roll boss for you if you want. I'd really focus on increasing the quality of your maps first before you start asking for additional things. I'll let you use some of the enemies I made once I feel your maps are good enough quality that people will be interested in playing through them. I thank you for attempting to do some Coop maps, and hope you'll take our advice seriously to improve your maps. I'd really consider studying the MMSP maps, though, as people will definitely play and replay maps with quality near to that level. Good luck with your maps!

July 12, 2014, 07:06:54 AM
Reply #6

Offline marioluigi001

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:06:54 AM »
You may want to make it a little more obvious that the hallway right after the first Sniper Joes has a part that you can fall to your death. The problem is, it does not look like a pit. Extend the outside bit of that section a little more so it doesn't look like it cuts off the next room, and place the Blader Spawners a little further away from the hallway over the previously mentioned pit. On the next room, the Cannons are positioned badly. They cannot hurt you as long as you're not in their line of fire. Their shots literally do not land on any of the platforms. The hallways in general are VERY narrow. You need to have hallways at least twice the current width, three times is preferred imo. As Linnie mentioned, model your maps after the ones that CutmanMike made, as his maps are very good quality maps. The mets in the next room literally have one chance to attack you, then they fall in the spike pit and can no longer attack you. Maybe place an obstacle there instead of enemies. The long room with the Two Crazy Razies REALLY needs monster blocks, as they can fall on the lava and no longer be a problem. That room produces a TON of hall of mirrors effect, btw. DO NOT release maps without making sure every linedef has needed textures. You're missing some in that room. Try using the Map Analysis feature in Mode menu.

The Two Hotheads in the map are placed in VERY evil spots. You will NOT survive if you didn't grab the very easy to reach E Tank in the room. Seriously, make players earn the right to get access to the E Tank. It's very easy to find and get, and place some other enemies on the top floor there instead, maybe a Sniper Joe Grenader and a couple of Beaks. What's with the Cannons in the outside area? The enemy placement here can be placed better since it's very easy to just run among the columns and never get hit. Speaking of enemy placement, the lone Escaroo is placed WAY too close to where the player enters the little area. When it does the bomb attack, the bombs explode as they start coming down, making avoiding the area-of-effect damage impossible. Consider how far the first Escaroo is placed in Toad Man's stage from the wall players jump down from. Even THAT is a little too close, but the bomb attacks are survivable. The various doors through the level, btw, are far too large. Also, you don't need to have the player press "Use" to open doors. Try studying how Gumballtoid did the doors in his hotel map. They're composed of a linedef that opens and closes a door, and said door is actually a sector that rises up and down.

One last thing, consider redoing your maps in Zdoom (Doom in UDMF format), as you will get more choices on how monsters interact with your map, and it's almost a simple copy and paste from the example map to begin mapping. All of MM8BDM's maps are being or have been switched over to UDMF if I recall correctly.

The Giga Roll map has some potential in it. If I am provided the necessary graphics needed for attacks and such, I actually can code a Giga Roll boss for you if you want. I'd really focus on increasing the quality of your maps first before you start asking for additional things. I'll let you use some of the enemies I made once I feel your maps are good enough quality that people will be interested in playing through them. I thank you for attempting to do some Coop maps, and hope you'll take our advice seriously to improve your maps. I'd really consider studying the MMSP maps, though, as people will definitely play and replay maps with quality near to that level. Good luck with your maps!

Thank you very much for telling me what I need to fix. I've actually already started fixing most of the flaws in both maps.

Edit: Fixed some of the issues in both maps.

July 13, 2014, 10:53:43 PM
Reply #7

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: Marioluigi001's Strength In Numbers Custom Maps V1B Rele
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Alright, so I took a look at the new Bombman, and first thing to say: definite improvement. It's great to see someone responsive to criticism, and one can go far by learning from such.

(click to show/hide)

Again, this is definite improvement, keep up the good work, you're moving forward now.

July 13, 2014, 11:56:09 PM
Reply #8

Offline marioluigi001

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »
Thank you so much for giving me the advice for improvement. I really appreciate it.

July 14, 2014, 07:22:32 AM
Reply #9

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:22:32 AM »
Without a doubt, the maps are better. Still some things remain, though...

(click to show/hide)

So yeah, keep up the good work. It's tough to do maps like these with just the current resources. That'll end the day my Coop Enemy Resource Pack gets released (maybe the end of this summer, we'll see), along with some actual bosses to place in levels.

July 15, 2014, 09:43:54 PM
Reply #10

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: Marioluigi001's Strength In Numbers Custom Maps V1C Rele
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
I see V1C is out, let's take a look.

Bombman:
(click to show/hide)

Fireman:
(click to show/hide)

So, overall, Fireman in its first form is in better condition than the first forms of the other two maps, though it still needs progress.

July 15, 2014, 10:43:18 PM
Reply #11

Offline marioluigi001

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
Thank you for telling me what I can fix in the maps. I'm actually trying to fix the issues now. But there are a few things I actually don't know how to do.

1. I tried placing fire pillars in the level, yet they don't come up to hurt you. Is there something I'm missing in making them come up?

2. I actually don't know how to make the lift stop at a certain height both going up and coming down.

If anybody knows how to make these things happen, do you think you can help me out?

Edit: I've actually tried switching the maps to Zdoom (Doom in UDMF format) and it screwed the maps up big time, to the point of being unplayable. So I don't think I'll be able to make the fences the way Tails said to. I don't know what actually caused the maps to become screwed up like this. Thankfully I had a copy of the maps so I didn't lose any progress.

July 15, 2014, 11:18:34 PM
Reply #12

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:18:34 PM »
Alright, so I checked the Fireman issue and it's pretty simple. Even though you have the spawner there, you also need the Fireman script from the map for it to work:

Script 3 OPEN
{
Delay(35*3);
SetActorState(16,"Fire",0);
Delay(35*3);
SetActorState(17,"Fire",0);
restart;
}

After that, you just need to set your fire pillars with either the 16 or 17 tag, as shown in the code. If you set it to alternating codes, the pillars will alternate in their firing pattern due to the delay.

As to the second question, you should use action 35 (Floor Raise by 8px) instead of what you have, that way you can set the height you need, which would be 135 in this case (135*8 = 1080, the difference between the bottom of your platform and the floor of the boss door). You could do similar with action 36 for lowering the floor, though, again, I think it'd be more efficient to just have it go up once, remove the lowering code, and put a teleporter that opens when the platform gets there. Perhaps make it so when your platform starts raising a door behind you shuts so you can't just jump off and wait for the teleporter to open.

July 16, 2014, 03:44:15 AM
Reply #13

Offline marioluigi001

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »
Thank you so much for your help. I will try to fix the issues right away.

July 16, 2014, 03:19:25 PM
Reply #14

Offline Linnie

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: Marioluigi001's Strength In Numbers Custom Maps V1D Rele
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
I only now noticed the comment about the fences.

I checked back to V3B Bombman since it was done in Hexen, and here's how you add fences in that version:

On the linedef you want the fence, give it action 121, Line Identification. After you do that, go to "Flags" and check the box titled "3D Midtexture." Then you just add the midtextures and you have your fence.

Proof of concept:
(click to show/hide)

Now, I noticed there's one line horizon that still needs to be fixed in V1D Bombman, ironically the one that made me notice the line horizon issues in the first place. In the line of platforms leading up to the first place with fences, the next platform is still obscured. It should be immediately noticeable going through the map since it completely obscures the platform.

Fireman, is looking pretty nice. Now that the pit of inescapable death is gone, you could probably do well to widen that chute downward a bit just so it doesn't cause a stackup in multiplayer mode (most multiplayer servers will have players go through each other to avoid exploits, but it's still good to keep known issues like that taken care of just in case a host forgets to put that server variable up).

I want to ask you for the code you used to make the Killer Bullets, because I can't find it anywhere in your wad. Their coding is odd, to say the least, and I'd like to look at it.

Overall, I'm liking what I see now. You fixed the lift, have almost all the visual bugs taken out, and to be honest I think I'm running low on the advice I can give you since I'm not very knowledgeable on single player maps.