Advanced Search

Author Topic: Classic Rockman/Mega Man story Discussion  (Read 11598 times)

May 04, 2012, 03:00:50 AM
Read 11598 times

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
Classic Rockman/Mega Man story Discussion
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
At first, I wanted this to be just about discussing MM2's story, but seeing how there kinda isn't a topic for discussing the story of ANY MM games, I might as well start one for Classic Mega Man stories...

At any rate, I'll start with MM2...

Quote from: "From Mega Man Knowledge Base"
Overview: Dr. Wily is back, and now he's created eight of his own Robot Masters to defeat Mega Man. Mega Man will have to stop Dr. Wily's robots and bring him to justice again.

Story (from the game):

"In the year 200X, a super robot named Mega Man was created. Dr. Light created Mega Man to stop the evil desires of Dr. Wily. However, after his defeat, Dr. Wily created eight of his own robots to counter Mega Man."

We all know the story to this: Wily is back with Robot Masters of his own to "destroy Mega Man". Mega Man destroys each of them and tackles Wily's new castle fortress factory thingamabob, and eventually reaches the mad scientist. After a long and tedious fight, it is eventually thrown at the player the shocking twist that Dr. Wily is... an alien?. Then it is revealed it was all a ploy?. Wily is defeated, begs for forgiveness as usual, BLACK SCREEN, Mega Man begins a sort of walk going somewhere while scenes show a green valley village in the middle of some mountain range going through numerous seasons, Mega Man then looks above him, and a scene shows his lonely helmet sitting in the green pasture of a nearby mountain village...then the credits roll.

Was Wily trying to conquer the world again or not?
Where did the alien idea come from? Why would Wily come up with such a thing? Why is this the eponymous "mystery of Dr. Wily"?
Were the final cutscenes meant to symbolize something? And if Mega Man was actually walking home from who knows where, why did he go to a green valley in the middle of a mountain range, if his home in MM1 was in a nameless city? Did Dr. Light just moved out of the city or something? Probably needed some fresh air for his smoker lungs?
Where did Wily's new fortress come from? It is officialy stated that Wily's fortress in MM1 was a factory, but did this one just came out of nowhere? Was it just sitting somewhere in the world? Why didn't Light get to pinpoint its location earlier?

May 04, 2012, 03:03:55 AM
Reply #1

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
Re: Classic Mega Man story Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »
Dr. Wily could have just stuck the pico pico master in an open field instead of the fortress and he could have killed megaman. :l

May 04, 2012, 08:44:40 PM
Reply #2

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:44:40 PM »
Wily, in his very old age, didn't think these things through. THE END

May 04, 2012, 09:42:30 PM
Reply #3

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 03:06:04 PM

• View Profile
    • http://minimega.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
Oooo very nice idea for a topic, I love discussing this.

The way I see it, the title "The Mystery of Dr. Wily" is referring to the end part with him turning into an alien, and the whole idea he could be an alien. I know it's kind of weird to title a game about a part at the ending, but it's viable since Mega Man 3 (I feel) did the same thing; it was called "The End of Dr. Wily!?", and after defeating him, it looks as if Wily is crushed by a rock, and Proto Man mentions that it's "too late".

Another similarity between the titles is that both of these "events" are shown to be false almost immediately afterwards (Wily is controlling a hologram in MM2, his spaceship is seen at the end of MM3).

Why pretend to be an alien? Honestly, I think it was because Wily has an obsession with alien life forms (and how threatening they can seem). Ever since the first game, he's rode around in his UFO, he loves building fortresses in space, he took control of the alien Stardroids, he was the FIRST to reach the evil energy that came from space, AND he once again pretended to be an alien evil in Mega Man 10. What makes it so weird is, that as far as I know, Wily has never said in any official source that he loves alien junk. It can only be inferred by all the stuff that he does.

AS FOR the ending with Mega Man walking, I would guess it was just a cool, cinematic way Capcom came up with to make Mega Man seem more like a natural, normal person. In the original games, all you see is him killing stuff or being killed. It's hard to tell he's just a robot boy who does not actually want to fight. While the walking ending could mean all sorts of things, I think by being melancholy and showing that he took off his helmet, it shows that the "war" has come to a bittersweet end.

May 04, 2012, 09:58:56 PM
Reply #4

Offline brotoad

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: February 25, 2010, 01:33:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://brotoad.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »
unless of course he's walking in front of the burning remains of wily's fortress of course

May 04, 2012, 10:11:15 PM
Reply #5

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »
And the alien thing, as press said, notice how 4 of the 5 GB games final battles take place in outer space. Thats actually where the "Wily Station" name came from "Wily's Space Station" was the name of the final stages in I, II, and IV, And 10's subtitle is "The threat from outer space."

May 04, 2012, 10:14:34 PM
Reply #6

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
Quote from: "brotoad"
unless of course he's walking in front of the burning remains of wily's fortress of course

You, looks like burned fortress of doom to me

EDIT: Also, it still irks me how sudden and out of the blue the alien deal was thrown at the player. Back in 1987, the only precedent of Wily being obsessed with space and aliens was that he used an UFO as his personal transportation device. That's it.

May 04, 2012, 10:27:45 PM
Reply #7

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »
Musashi he's talking about MM7

May 04, 2012, 10:28:24 PM
Reply #8

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
It was the second game:  It's not like it was reversing everything everybody knew about a well developed character.  I think it was just a way to catch the player/Megaman off-guard and to set-up a nice little joke for the ending.

May 04, 2012, 11:23:28 PM
Reply #9

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »
Quote from: "Star Dood"
Musashi he's talking about MM7

MM7 at least had a proper epilogue right after the final battle. Hell, even MM1 had a proper epilogue. MM3's epilogue is, in my opinion, one of the best in the series. MM4, MM5, MM6, MM8... all of them had an actual ending, a real "conclusion". MM2's epilogue lacks in showing the player how the story wraps up in the end (which even its predecessor did, while leaving room for a sequel).

I wonder how a hypothetical MM2:PU would have rewritten the story...

May 05, 2012, 04:29:19 AM
Reply #10

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 04:29:19 AM »
then it just shows he's a badass!

What's cool about the alien thing is that it was such a weird plot twist, and since it was the 2nd game, it could have totally been true. Wily COULD have been an alien all along, and Mega Man could've blasted him then and there.

But what's COOLER (to me at least) is that he WASN'T an alien, and they show it right there in the game it was all a trick, and it sets up this running gag of Wily acting like he's not behind it when he's ALWAYS BEHIND IT. I know there are LOTS of people who are sick of Wily being the villain time and time again, but I really admire how they have stuck with it so long, where most other game series would drop a classic villain for some NEW COOL evil. Wily's persistence is just too classic, and it would be a shame for the game to end without him being behind it, somehow (SAR and MM5 for GB kinda do this, but even then, Wily is still mainly responsible).

I also really like how unique the walking at the end of MM2 is compared to any other ending in the series. I wouldn't trade the emotional feel you get from that for any text or extra story. They probably would change it with a remake though, seeing as how that ending probably only came about since they thought it would be the last Mega Man game. And that's totally fine, since the original wouldn't be going anywhere.

One thing I do want is an intro for Mega Man 3 : (

May 05, 2012, 04:37:11 AM
Reply #11

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 04:37:11 AM »
Quote from: "PressStart"
then it just shows he's a badass!

What's cool about the alien thing is that it was such a weird plot twist, and since it was the 2nd game, it could have totally been true. Wily COULD have been an alien all along, and Mega Man could've blasted him then and there.

But what's COOLER (to me at least) is that he WASN'T an alien, and they show it right there in the game it was all a trick, and it sets up this running gag of Wily acting like he's not behind it when he's ALWAYS BEHIND IT. I know there are LOTS of people who are sick of Wily being the villain time and time again, but I really admire how they have stuck with it so long, where most other game series would drop a classic villain for some NEW COOL evil. Wily's persistence is just too classic, and it would be a shame for the game to end without him being behind it, somehow (SAR and MM5 for GB kinda do this, but even then, Wily is still mainly responsible).

I also really like how unique the walking at the end of MM2 is compared to any other ending in the series. I wouldn't trade the emotional feel you get from that for any text or extra story. They probably would change it with a remake though, seeing as how that ending probably only came about since they thought it would be the last Mega Man game. And that's totally fine, since the original wouldn't be going anywhere.

One thing I do want is an intro for Mega Man 3 : (
And even in World 5 he was still the mastermind behind it. He just didn't make Sunstar.
And the Megaman serieses have always been consistent with there villians, X having Sigma, yea Lumine was the true final boss of 8 but Sigma was the creators of the New Generation Reploids, so still his fault, and he wasn't in Command Mission cause Sigma dies for good in 8 which takes place before CM.

May 05, 2012, 04:56:13 AM
Reply #12

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 04:56:13 AM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
And the Megaman serieses have always been consistent with there villians, X having Sigma, yea Lumine was the true final boss of 8 but Sigma was the creators of the New Generation Reploids, so still his fault, and he wasn't in Command Mission cause Sigma dies for good in 8 which takes place before CM.

MM Zero and ZX and Legends and Battle Network... and well, just about every series that isn't classic or X would like have to have a word with you.

May 05, 2012, 05:11:48 AM
Reply #13

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »
Lol, Battle Network for sure switched it up right away. It went back and forth a bit, too. BN2 was the first one I played, and loved the 'main' villain behind the whole thing. I really need to play through the X games, I just assumed Sigma was not the villain in some of em, but I guess not??

I dunno, I just feel like if you have a classic/cool enough villain, it's a waste to try and replace him with someone who tries to act more threatening and actually falls short. I'm the kind of guy who looks FORWARD to Ganon being the final boss in each Zelda, even though
1. That's not the case
2. TONS of people hated him showing up out of nowhere in Twilight Princess (not me though!)

May 05, 2012, 05:12:22 AM
Reply #14

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
Quote from: "Ivory"
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"

MM Zero and ZX and Legends and Battle Network... and well, just about every series that isn't classic or X would like have to have a word with you.
Battle Network Wily was behind Gospel, having given the information used by them and using the organization to try and make clones of Bass to use to break the seal on Alpha, as well as Regal's father which is what lead to Regal's life of evil.

Zero Series, bases around Zero 2 was about the "Dark" Elf, which was Wiel's creation turning it into the thing that corrupted Elpizio. Where Wiel wasn't directly connected to the events himself it was a run off of his own work, and we know he was behind everything in 3 and 4.

ZX everything was set in motion by Albert who was one of the three people running the world and spread his DNA into various reploids and humans to create the game of kings. Atlus, Sirnaq, Thetus, Aeolus, Aile, Vent, Prometheus, Pandora, Geru, and Serpert were all picked out by Albert to have his DNA which allows the Megamerging. Grey is a backup body of his and Ashe is his descendent from when he was still human so have his DNA through normal means.

Legends and Ryusei/Starforce are the only that don't have a recurring main villain/absolute mastermind that set other games events into motion.