Advanced Search

Author Topic: Did your interest drop off after a certain game?  (Read 6741 times)

February 05, 2013, 04:54:55 PM
Read 6741 times

Offline corneilius

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2013, 09:05:02 PM

• View Profile
Did your interest drop off after a certain game?
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
I remember Megaman 1, 2 and 3 being the golden age, and 4 and 5 were okay, but when 6 came around I didn't even care. I mean, knight man, centaur man? That's when the robot masters stopped seeming to have any utility and just became campy or derivative of past robots.

The X series kept my interest as far as x3 or 4, but after that it was gone. Never tried legends, and the battle network and beyond stuff... well I'll leave it at that.

February 05, 2013, 05:35:01 PM
Reply #1

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
Re: Did your interest drop off after a certain game?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
I wouldn't call MM1 anything less than a good start to the series, but aside from MM8, I like the classic series.
MMX I stopped playing past X3 simply because I never had a playstation. (that I owned)
Battlenetwork and Starforce I ignored entirely because I played BN3 for a while, but lost interest because I found the series was too different from the platformers I was accustomed too.
Zero is by far the best series IMO. It pretty well irons out all the kinks with MMX gameplay and left a fast paced action game.
ZX was okay, the series needed ironing out more than what Advent did.
Legends is a different story. I like the game, but I would like the game more if it wasn't a megaman game. Outside of a few cameos, shoutouts and named the same characters, it felt absolutely nothing like a Megaman game. Even BN/SF which as different as they were, you still had a megaman air around them so they felt fitting. This game was ~1000 years after everything else and it didn't even remotely feel like X, Zero or ZX was leading into this.

February 05, 2013, 06:13:24 PM
Reply #2

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »
Quote from: "corneilius"
I mean, knight man, centaur man? That's when the robot masters stopped seeming to have any utility and just became campy or derivative of past robots.
And Toad Man wasn't silly?

While I agree that Centaur Man is a little odd, I don't really see much wrong with Knight Man. He was a robot master created for serious combat, so it's not unusual at all for him to be modeled after a warrior.

To answer the actual question, no. I have played all of the numbered titles in the Classic Mega Man series (save for the GB games) and my interest never waned. Sure, there are some games that I don't enjoy as much as others (MM5 is a little too easy and has weird weapons, MM6 relies too much on the adaptors), but I still love the series as a whole. I always end up coming back to the games to replay them.

February 05, 2013, 06:15:02 PM
Reply #3

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »
I'm still a huge fan of the franchise, although part of the reason why I got ZX is because I wanted a slight change in gameplay rather than the Classic/X gameplay that I keep playing, as it was starting to feel a little bit repetitive.

But after a certain game....ehhhh, not really. Although my interest and hopes to see Megaman in SSB4 died when Xover arrived. I really don't care about him being in the next smash bros anymore.

February 05, 2013, 06:19:17 PM
Reply #4

Offline Colonel ServBot

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 30, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »
Well, I can't say my interest dropped off,
The first Megaman was really frickinriddiculous hard. But I got used to it. The only thing I thought that was bad about the classic series was that it was a little cheesy. But, it was a good start for the story line.
During the X series, my interest did drop off a little because of X-2, but then it got better in X-3, then the rest were just awesome.
I hadn't played the zero series but i think it had the best character design.
I hadn't played any of the sf/bn games, but I've seen most of the bn anime, I think it's really cool.
But I was completely disappointed by the character designs in star force.
Well, legends is just... Awesome, I loved glydes design, and volnutts too. All the franchise needs is more manly voices.

February 05, 2013, 06:40:25 PM
Reply #5

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
I've only played megaman 1-8 and X 1-3 because... Crap, that franchise has way too many games for me.

February 05, 2013, 06:42:04 PM
Reply #6

Offline Donutyoshi

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 19, 2010, 07:36:36 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.donutyoshi.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
I really liked Classic for being simple and all. There's not a particular game that made me lost interest.
X series, I never really played X7 and later, due to fact it's not really available in GC or any workable PS2 emulator to use for my end. Don't really feel like buying a PS2/3 just for one/two games. Other than that, X series was decent too.
Zero series, the plot and concepts were interesting, but I never really played Zero 4 yet.
Battle Network, I honestly don't get what's wrong with this series as the fandom says. The games are enjoyable, despite the difficulty of the games. Although BN3 and later kinda got ridicious, with the two/three versions thing.

I never really played Starforce, Legends, and ZX, go figure.

Although I did watched the anime adaptions of both BN and Starforce, the original version with English subs, why? There's more episodes that never really made it in the english version and I prefered the Japanese names than Western.

February 05, 2013, 08:21:49 PM
Reply #7

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
I love the classic series as a whole. Every game has something that makes me want to come back to play it.

MM1's humble start didn't make it any less fun, and PU was a fantastic build off of it.
MM2's diversity of Robot Masters and settings made it fairly fun to play through.
MM3's addition of sliding and additional stages helped the game feel fresh.
MM4 added the charge buster and added things we see in the newer titles, like the Wily Capsule and the chargeable Mega Buster.
MM5 had some silly weapons but I found it fun to do buster-only runs.
MM6 added the Rush adapters and really pushed the limits of the NES.
MM7 was my favorite due to the inclusion of a parallel rival character and the transition to 16-bit.
MM8 wasn't bad, it was just different and I always found it fun.
MM9 was a wonderful throwback to the classic NES titles with some of the best weapons in the series.
MM10 was another throwback with more typical Robot Masters, but also featured the return of the Mega Man Killers.

I was also hooked on X1 for some time, as it was my first Mega Man game and the first game I was truly good at.

I haven't actually touched any other series thus far but Legends looks fairly good so I may give that a try.

February 05, 2013, 10:45:44 PM
Reply #8

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »
Advent is too much of a different game to inspire me to go back to it after the incredible feelings that ZX gave me.

BN5 sucks and I didn't really want to play BN6 for a while until I actually tried them. (BN6 is incredibly short though) At least BN4 was funny.

Legends is what

The rest of the series are hella cool though and I'll play all of those games probably for the rest of my life.

February 07, 2013, 12:27:37 AM
Reply #9

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »
i lost interest in NSMB in the middle of 2 for the 3DS, now the games are getting stale and old

February 07, 2013, 01:25:27 AM
Reply #10

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 03:06:04 PM

• View Profile
    • http://minimega.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »
How could you ever lose interest in any Mega Man series?

February 09, 2013, 01:36:31 PM
Reply #11

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
Classic - 8 tried really hard to make me give up, but 9 is the best in the whole series so I'm still a believer.
X - X7 was simply terrible, hitting bottom after a long slide.  X8 was an improvement but still 'meh' at best.
Zero/ZA - to me these are the same series, and while I enjoy them all I doubt they'll ever top z3's duel with Omega (and ZA shows they know it).
Can't speak to the rest.

February 12, 2013, 12:40:53 AM
Reply #12

Offline Darkus4223

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 09, 2012, 05:28:21 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 12:40:53 AM »
Easy, Megaman x 6 and then im nope.

March 08, 2013, 03:56:33 AM
Reply #13

Offline TheBladeRoden

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 14, 2010, 07:26:58 PM

• View Profile
    • TheBladeRoden's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 03:56:33 AM »
Right after Capcom betrayed Nintendo and put it all on the Playstation >:(

March 08, 2013, 03:28:42 PM
Reply #14

Offline VGS2

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 27, 2010, 11:53:43 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/VGS2
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »
Quote from: "TheBladeRoden"
Right after Capcom betrayed Nintendo and put it all on the Playstation >:(
Well to be fair, they are a third party company. The only reason they probably didn't do it earlier was because of Nintendo's "has to stay on our console for two years or so before you're allowed to port it" rule at the time.
Heck, they betrayed Nintendo even earlier than the Playstation days with the whole Wily Wars thing for the Megadrive/Genesis.
I dunno, that being said, I'm probably entirely wrong, who knows?

Anyways, staying on topic, I dropped out for a while after MM8BDM just glitched to buggery for me very early last year.
But then I realised that I missed all you guys too much, so I got a new copy of the game, burned my skins folder, and came back late last year~