Advanced Search

Author Topic: Wily's Iron Gauntlet - A 2v2 CBM Tournament!  (Read 18880 times)

June 01, 2018, 08:40:15 AM
Read 18880 times

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
Wily's Iron Gauntlet - A 2v2 CBM Tournament!
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »
20xx's mightiest robots gather to face a new challenge...!!

CURRENT PHASE: PHASE 3 - THE FINALS
The FINALS have begun! Best of 7 matches, double-elimination, and that's it! Four teams remain, one makes it out!

Challonge Link: https://challonge.com/wigfinals

Google Sheet containing every class each team is BANNED from using: Click here!

Banner credit to Pegg. See more of his work at his deviantart page here!

Welcome to Wily's Iron Gauntlet, a new kind of 2v2 class-based tournament! Featuring the same CBM TLMS gameplay that we're all used to, this tournament additionally demands that you run the gauntlet by preparing to play as and against a very wide variety of classes. As you fight through the competition, the classes you win with will become unavailable to you in the future! This means you and your partner will have to be able to pilot a full fleet of 'bots (or not-'bots!) to win and keep winning - and you'll have to be able to take on threats of the same diversity! An ambitious crossover of a huge 112 classes, prepare to see all your favorite classes (along with, admittedly, your least favorite ones as well) duke it out like never before!

Before getting into the specific rules (don't worry, it's not really complicated!), I should mention that a small, fun prize is being offered to the winning team and runner-up team of this tournament. Somewhat fittingly to a tournament initialized as WIG, the winning team will have the opportunity to select a single class in CBM to receive an alternate skin featuring a golden crown, included in the mod itself. The second-place team will get to select a different class to receive an alternate skin featuring a silver crown, included in the mod itself. A neat opportunity, yes!

NOTE: This is a 2v2 tournament, but if you don't have a partner, don't fear! You'll be able to sign up and look for others out there seeking a buddy to compete with. See section III for more details!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR/Summary: 2v2 CBM TLMS shared-lives tournament. When you win a map, the classes you used are unavailable to you for the rest of the tournament. Each player gets 1 class per map, mirrors are allowed but no doubling up. Tournament structure details and set length (# of lives, # of maps, # of wins) are TBD until I know how many entrants we have. See rules 4 and 5 for map- and class-picking procedures. Stage-striking for map 1 instead of stupid hour-long mutual picking during final map. Sign-up form at the bottom. POST MATCH RESULTS IN THIS THREAD, INCLUDING ALL CLASS PICKS, WHICH MAPS THEY WERE ON, AND WHICH TEAMS WON WHICH MAPS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents
I. Rules and Specifics
II. Stage-Striking Details
III. Signing Up

I. Rules and Specifics

Wily's Iron Gauntlet is a 2v2 CBM TLMS tournament, using a shared lives pool, progressing in 3 phases.

Tournament Structure:
NOTE: The following spoiler box carries the weight of all other Rules of the tournament.
(click to show/hide)
Additional Rules:

1. All matches must be played on verified servers: [TSPG] Painkiller: Wily's Iron Gauntlet Tournament Server 1 (IP: 149.56.242.162:10672) and [TSPG] Painkiller: Wily's Iron Gauntlet Tournament Server 2 (IP: 149.56.242.162:10709). Join password will be released to competitors when the bracket/matches are released. Any matches not played on these servers will not count. You may not share the join password with non-competitors without my explicit permission.

2. All verified servers will have the following relevant settings, in addition to the standard configurations for online play (like gravity, cheats, that stuff):
(click to show/hide)

3. All verified servers will be hosting the following files:
(click to show/hide)

4. The map-picking for each set shall proceed as follows:
(click to show/hide)

5. Class-picking shall occur after map-picking, and shall proceed as follows. Each player may only use 1 class per map, and teams may not double-up on classes. Opposing teams may play the same class(es).
(click to show/hide)

6. If a new version of classes is released prior to the start date of the tournament, we will switch to that version. If a new version of classes is released after the start date of the tournament, we will only switch to that version if it addresses one or more bugs that significantly and meaningfully affect general gameplay. If no such bugs are addressed (e.g., the only changes present are balance-motivated), we will not switch to that version.

7. Post all match results on this thread, preferably with picture proof. I can check the server if I need to, but it's more convenient for me here and for everyone else, too! Include ALL class picks in your results posts, in addition to which team won which maps. Both teams should do this so we have 100% certainty on accuracy!

8. I will keep an updated list of all classes that each team has won with, and the list of available classes for each match will be viewable as an attachment on that match on Challonge. To see what class you and your opponent may use for any given match, simply check that match on the Challonge site.

9. You are expected to be responsible and diligent when it comes to completing your matches. I will be staying on everyone's tails to get matches done, but I need cooperation from all participants for it to happen! Signing up means you are committing to the tournament; if you're gonna sign up and later decide you don't feel like doing matches for a while, either A) quit taking it so seriously and just play for fun!, or B) don't sign up!

10. Unsportsmanlike and/or inflammatory conduct will not be tolerated. If you enter this tournament you are committing yourself to being a respectful, cooperative, and communicative competitor. I reserve the right to disqualify, remove, or otherwise punish individuals or teams who do not abide by this rule. Examples of behavior that I will not tolerate and which are subject to removal:
- Excessive stalling of a match, either during a pre-game phase or in scheduling a time to play.
- Harassment of other competitors, including aggressive name-calling, trolling, heckling, inflammatory conduct, or unfriendly trash-talking.
- Harassment of spectators in tournament servers.
- Overly negative attitude and rule-skirting. This is meant to be a friendly, chill tournament. I have 0 tolerance for people who want to be difficult or who want to barely skirt the edges of breaking other rules. Questioning rules or rulings is fine, but cross the line of goodwill and you will be removed from this tournament.
- Attempting to lie about match results or class choices. I'm not an idiot.
- Collusion. I'm not an idiot.
- Other unsportsmanlike behavior.

11. Extended periods of a match going unplayed, and instances of disconnects during tournament play, will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

12. Cases of stalling will be handled on a case-by-case basis, with the option of requiring a new map to be chosen and the current round to be replayed there being on the table in extreme cases.

13. I reserve the right to expand and/or edit these rules as I see fit, with proper notification to all tournament participants if done so after the tournament has begun.

II. Stage-Striking Details

To try something a little different from most past tournaments, sets will no longer be structured by [team A's map]->[team B's map]->[mutual pick if necessary]. Instead, the first map of the set will be one from a selection of 9 predetermined maps, selected by a standard stage-striking procedure; what this means is teams will take turns blocking, or striking, maps from this pool of 9 until only 1 remains, which they will plan on.

How will this pool of maps be determined, you ask? Well, I certainly have my own ideas, but I figured I ought to listen to the participants as well! In the sign-up form there is a field to list 3 suggestions for the pool of 9 beginning maps. I don't guarantee that I will only pick maps from the suggestions, but I'll try to stick with major trends/popular picks if I can!

III. Signing Up

Below you will find the format I'd like you to use to sign-up for the tournament! There are two formats. If you know who your teammate is, use the first format! If you don't have a partner yet, don't worry! Use the second format, and you'll be able to find others looking for a buddy. I'll keep a list of unpartnered players at the bottom of this post, so you can look there!

Sign-ups are currently OPEN until SUNDAY, JUNE 10TH, 2:00 PM EDT (UTC -4). This date may change depending on entry numbers.

For partnered players:

Team Name:
Your Name:
Your Teammate's Name:
General Times Available (specify time zone!):
Ways to Contact (include relevant usernames if necessary!):
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions (three max!):
[Optional] Team Theme Song:

For unpartnered players:

Your Name:
General Times Available (specify time zone!):
Ways to Contact (include relevant usernames if necessary!):
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions (three max!):

Current Teams:
(click to show/hide)

Unpartnered Players:
(click to show/hide)

If you have any questions, concerns, comments, etc., about the tournament, please feel free to ask below or contact me on Discord! I'm in the MM8BDM Discord and the TSPG Discord, username is King Dumb#4247.

June 01, 2018, 09:36:05 AM
Reply #1

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Wily's Iron Gauntlet - A 2v2 CBM Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
I suppose we get the first 5 AM sign-up, hoyp.

Team Name : SCP Brand Forklift (Sonic Carries Pegg)
Name : Sonicfam1102 (SanicTrillster in-game)
Partner Name : Pegg
General Times Available : Sunday through Thursday, 7 PM to 3 AM EST (Subject to Possible Change)
Ways to Contact : Discord for Both (Trillster#2887 and pegg#1159)
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions : MM7STR, MM8DUO, MMBGRO
Team Theme Song :
(click to show/hide)

June 01, 2018, 02:57:32 PM
Reply #2

Offline Ru5tK1ng

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 25, 2016, 12:28:48 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
Sounds like fun can't wait till everything is finalized. Do you have a discord for this?

June 01, 2018, 04:09:13 PM
Reply #3

Offline Mobius

• Donator

• A3's magnus faber - Fait Accompli
  • Date Registered: October 12, 2009, 12:08:01 AM

• View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/TheZones/index.php?act=site
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »
There's a few things to fix. This is a glaring problem.

For Map 1, teams will engage in a stage-striking procedure, using a pool of 9 maps which will be determined prior to the start of the tournament (see section II for more details). After a coin flip, the player that wins the coin flip will take the first strike, and striking will occur in a snaking order, 1-2-2-2-1. That is, team A will strike 1 map, then team B will strike 2, then team A will strike 2, then team B will strike 2, then team A will strike 1 more to determine the starting map.

Losing a cointoss is meta. It allows the losing player to essentially strike out 3 maps to the winning player's 2 and that's 3 in a row.

June 01, 2018, 04:20:26 PM
Reply #4

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
@Ru5stK1ng, thanks! Yeah, unfortunately the concept of the tournament requires that those details specifically address the # of teams, but I have a few different set of details ready depending on how many we get. There's no discord right now. I suppose that's something that will happen down the line if it does.

@Mobius, I'm not sure if I see the issue? It's a coin toss, so you can't win or lose purposefully. Both teams strike 4 maps total. I use the term "winning" the coin toss just to mean who called it correctly. If "winning" let you instead choose which team strikes first, it's essentially the same thing with just an extra step for no reason. So I suppose maybe the language of "winning" can be misleading if you want to strike second. But beyond that I don't see what you mean?

June 01, 2018, 04:27:52 PM
Reply #5

Offline Mobius

• Donator

• A3's magnus faber - Fait Accompli
  • Date Registered: October 12, 2009, 12:08:01 AM

• View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/TheZones/index.php?act=site
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »
The fact a losing team can strike out 3 in a row before the winning team can puts the winner of the coin-toss at a huge disadvantage.

I was wrong. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Team Name : The M. E. T. A.
Name : [A3]Mobius
Partner Name : [A3]MGO
General Times Available : Monday-Friday 5:00PM to 11PM. Saturday is uncertain for me. Sunday all day.
Ways to Contact : https://discord.gg/FHWf5Ta
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions : MM1TIM, MM1DW1 & MM4DC1

June 03, 2018, 06:39:06 PM
Reply #6

Offline jdagenet

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 03, 2018, 05:56:29 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »
Team Name: GigaMans
Your Name: [A3]Jason
Your Teammate's Name: [A3]Avernus
General Times Available: Monday-Friday 4:00PM to 10:00PM CT. Saturday-Sunday all day.
Ways to Contact: https://discord.gg/2ztG948
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions: MM1TIM, MM1GUT, MM2HEA

June 03, 2018, 08:56:44 PM
Reply #7

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Team name: Once I get a partner, something to do with JoJo
My name: Bikdark/ Agent Arcadia#2073
My teammate's name: Unknown atm, trying to reel in one of 3 people
General times available: Guaranteed available 10pm - 3am EST, sparsely available other times during the evening/afternoon
Map pool: MM4DUS, MM6FLA, MM2CRA

June 04, 2018, 04:14:56 PM
Reply #8

Offline The_KillR_vibE

• Standard Member

• Blitz of the Stars!
  • Date Registered: June 03, 2018, 10:23:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
Wait a minute, looking at the counterpicking section of the ruleset, shouldn't the winning team be able to ban up to 3 or 4 maps out of all 9 in order to prevent the losing team from choosing a map that'll either give the winning team a disadvantage or the opposing team a significant advantage?

Team: Gusty Hammers
Alias/Name: Blitz!/~The Vibe!~
Teammate's alias/name: Kaze
General Times Available: [Eastern Standard Time] Around 2PM-11PM Mon-Thurs. Friday, around 9PM-12AM, fully available on weekends.
Contact Us!: Drop a DM on Discord! ~The Vibe!~#7427, Kaze#0811
Map suggestions: MM6KNI, MM7DW3, MM1BOM
Team Theme!:
(click to show/hide)

June 04, 2018, 09:43:32 PM
Reply #9

Offline Deku

• Standard Member

• Tornadoman is best flying robot master :D
  • Date Registered: October 24, 2017, 05:30:49 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »
Team Name : The Tornado Brothers
Name : Edgeshot
Partner Name : Blueboy!
General Times Available : Wednesday-Sunday 3:00-5:00 Pm (usa or mexico)
Ways to Contact : https://discord.gg/4wrk5jS
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions : MM8TEN,MM7DW2,MM9TOR

June 05, 2018, 01:45:47 AM
Reply #10

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 01:45:47 AM »
AYAYAYAII
Hope y'all motherjojos are ready to get your DEUS VULT on, because
THE STARDUST CRUSADERS
ARE READY TO SHOW YOU THROWAWAY STAND-USERS-OF-THE-WEEK HOW TO PUMP SOME HARDCORE HAMONeven tho hamon wasn't a thing from season 3 onward but whatev THROUGH YOUR WIMPY PILLARMEN VEINS. GRAB YOUR MEMEY TAROT DECKS AND BRITISH RAZOR-HATS AND WITNESS THE ASCENSION OF THE U L T I M A T E  L I F E - F O R M S... I mean uh... The muscular and VERY British Joestar family line. Yeah. Definitely that.

Starring: Bikdark as Joseph Joestar and Muzaru as Jonathan Joestar even tho jonathan isn't affiliated with the stardust crusaders in any fashion but whatev
Contact: Agent Arcadia#2073 for the dashing Joseph, and Muzaru#8503 for the gentlemanly Jonathan on discord.
Availabilities: Bikdark/Joseph is available 10pm-3am EST every day, guaranteed. Other times available will be determined on a weekly basis due to the sun-- I mean, hamon training. Muzaru's schedule is also somewhat grey, but he will assuredly make time.
Theme:
(click to show/hide)
Map picks are consistent with my other post's picks.

June 08, 2018, 10:52:50 PM
Reply #11

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
soon(tm)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »
I have just learned that I will be absent Saturday, June 9th, for most of the day. As such, I won't be here to start the tournament and thus there is no point ending the sign-ups then. The new deadline for signing up is SUNDAY, JUNE 10TH, 2:00 PM EDT (UTC -4). OP updated accordingly.

June 09, 2018, 03:20:56 AM
Reply #12

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 03:20:56 AM »
the lack of team themes is detrimental to our tournament experience

i demand that all teams supply a hype theme ASAP for the music pack

:v)

June 10, 2018, 05:59:48 AM
Reply #13

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 05:59:48 AM »
Team Name: #TheSensationalists
Your Name: #TuffBopman [Korby]
Your Teammate's Name: #TipToeLivesMatter [Michael]
General Times Available: #TuffBopman: 10 PM EST most days. Earlier times will vary by week. #TipToeLivesMatter: Pretty much always.
Ways to Contact: Discord: Korby#1111, Michael4797#8514
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions: MM3SPA, MM1DW1, MMCTF07
Team Theme Song:
(click to show/hide)

June 10, 2018, 05:37:14 PM
Reply #14

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »
Team Name: Don't Get Poked
Your Name: --;--;@
Your Teammate's Name: EazyDI
General Times Available: After 5 PM EDT (UTC -4) on weekdays, before then on certain weekdays/with advanced noticed. All day on weekends with advanced notice.
Ways to Contact: Discord - King Dumb#4247. You can find me in the 8BDM, CBM, and TSPG discord servers.
Beginning Map Pool Suggestions: MM3SPA, MM2MET, MM2DW3

New teams will not be accepted after 2 PM EDT today.