Advanced Search

Author Topic: MM8BDM Death Races  (Read 9640 times)

February 12, 2011, 07:11:15 AM
Read 9640 times

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
MM8BDM Death Races
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:11:15 AM »
How many of you played F-Zero X for the N64? If you did, you should remember a mode called Death Race, where you had to retire all of your rivals on a short track. The game wouldn't end until everyone or you were destroyed.

I'm bringing in my own version of this mode to MM8BDM in the form of a race involving the Wavebikes (since they are the only kind of transportation besides the Rush Jet). Since I figured doing an actual race mode for Doom might be challenging to do, a mode that would suit Deathmatch and Last Man Standing would be much more attainable.

What makes this map pack stand out from the others is the fact the courses are designed to be race tracks, and the wavebikes are your machines. I even did a quick texture of my own for a finish line (though it shows up too brightly ingame...wonder how I'll fix that). I have some pictures of a test track of mine, but the track itself no longer exists. These will be replaced when Cut Man Castle is finished.

(click to show/hide)

I had a lot to say for what is my first project, but the important stuff is out of the way. I'll have some questions at the end of this post asking the community about their opinions on some topics I want to discuss.

One issue that might come up is this: How will players find each other? The answer is patience, but most maps will have shortcuts to help players catch up with one another. Also, the maps will be made as such so you can go both forwards and backwards.

Weapons for DM:

(click to show/hide)

To-Do:

(click to show/hide)

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask. Also, if you guys wouldn't mind, could I get some opinions on some topics I'm curious about?

Topics

Should Time Stopper still be in, or should I keep it out?
Should the Wily stages be made as well?
Should running into walls cost you your bike?

February 12, 2011, 08:02:47 AM
Reply #1

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Re: (Concept Testing) MM8BDM Death Races
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »
Well I'm certainly looking forward to this. Sounds promising and fun! Good luck.

February 12, 2011, 09:09:33 AM
Reply #2

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
Looks quite fun. Ideally, It would be excellent of you to do all of the maps. Of course, I'd still be happy if you only did a few of them.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Fire Man's level to see how you can utilize fire traps and lava pits.

February 12, 2011, 03:32:49 PM
Reply #3

Offline ice

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 05, 2010, 05:09:31 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
theres already a thread for this

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1363

Although cutman, gutsman, elecman, and some other tracks has not been created yet

February 12, 2011, 06:15:28 PM
Reply #4

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
Quote from: "Shade Guy"
Looks quite fun. Ideally, It would be excellent of you to do all of the maps. Of course, I'd still be happy if you only did a few of them.

Since I wasn't sure how big of a project this could be, I only asked for MM1 bosses. The other RMs already in MM8BDM will definitely be considered later, with possibly some of Wily's stages and some custom courses. If this project turns out to be a success, I'll allow other people to give track making a try, as this project will take a while for me to do because of how busy my life is.

For right now, I want to see how everyone thinks of the concept with Cut Man's official track (similar to what was seen in the test map, but much larger and possibly with more obstacles and more varied layouts). This will make it much easier for you guys to make tracks as well, since there will be an official example for you guys to look at.

Quote from: "Shade Guy"
Personally, I'm looking forward to Fire Man's level to see how you can utilize fire traps and lava pits.

Heh, I know Fire Man was definitely one I was going to do, because my current plan involves actually racing on the lava itself. As for fire traps, we'll have to see. I might place some of those on the course to keep players alert.

Quote from: "ice"
theres already a thread for this

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1363

Although cutman, gutsman, elecman, and some other tracks has not been created yet

I even checked your topic before I worked on my project. Yours is much different from mine, right down to the main concept (yours is actual racing while mine are death races). Plus, Death Race is killing each other, not racing each other, although I might open a Time Trials competition later for the official tracks.

February 12, 2011, 08:21:31 PM
Reply #5

Offline TERRORsphere

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DoomThroughDoom
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »
Me and my friend Decino are working on a little race map. When I release it, feel free to use it as a base.

February 12, 2011, 09:18:25 PM
Reply #6

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
Quote from: "DoomThroughDoom"
Me and my friend Decino are working on a little race map. When I release it, feel free to use it as a base.

That's a nice offer, but I rather I build the base on my own. You are free to use it to make a custom course if you feel like it. I'll start accepting submissions after I figure out Cut Man's track.

February 13, 2011, 04:23:26 AM
Reply #7

Offline Asd967

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: November 01, 2010, 03:59:45 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:26 AM »
Marvelous fitting idea, Tails.

I tip my hat off for you. I'm looking forward to it, chap.  :cool:

February 14, 2011, 09:09:00 PM
Reply #8

Offline Ashley

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 02:17:35 AM

• View Profile
Re: (Cutman's Track Started) MM8BDM Death Races
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Sounds like a normal race system, to me... Or LMS on jetbikes.

Needs more detail into why it's different.

February 15, 2011, 07:16:57 AM
Reply #9

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: MM8BDM Death Races
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »
After working a few more hours, my pack's first track is not ready for release yet, but I can give some details on the track.

CutMan Castle

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I based the shape of the track off of CutMan's weapon. Since this is the first map in the rotation, it does not feature some of the hectic and hostile activity future courses will have.

The track itself is not complete, as I plan to add some more textures and obstacles on the course (more blocks and some of those Cutter machines, and maybe another texture or two). I was debating whether or not to add an outside section for a shortcut, but I am not sure yet. Since I'm trying to discourage the use of camping (which would be hard to do anyway if you're being chased), there are not that many weapon energy pellets around, and there are no health energy pellets. Otherwise, it is a very easy map to get around in. Speed Wavers will find that the course will take around 15 seconds to lap, so it's short for a map, but longer than my test map was.

And all of those boxes outside the maps are actually where the player starts are. You'll hop in a teleporter and appear inside the track with a wavebike. Those teleporters have been tested and are working correctly, so I think all of the noticeable bugs about how the course works should be squashed.

February 17, 2011, 01:41:34 AM
Reply #10

Offline MagnetMan497

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 13, 2010, 04:48:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:41:34 AM »
How exactly is Centaur Flash a "cheap weapon"? all it does is deal damage. If you are going to not use that at least don't use Flash Stopper either :/

February 17, 2011, 03:00:33 AM
Reply #11

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »
SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM MY EYYYYYES.

Plus the INFINITY reach is kind of annoying.

February 17, 2011, 03:11:18 AM
Reply #12

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »
As a Centaur Flash-user myself, I'LL admit Centaur Flash is broken.  It has a huge radius, it does about as much as a buster shot, and it has a good ammo consumption.  By collecting the Centaur Flash at Dive-Man, one can carry around some W-Tanks and RAEP ANYONE YOU SEE.

February 17, 2011, 03:26:53 AM
Reply #13

Offline TERRORsphere

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DoomThroughDoom
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »
This is the part where I do a complete dick move and show a screenshot of my project in TailsMK4's thread.
(click to show/hide)
:)

Have another, for lulz  :p
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, don't for 1 second think I'm trying to make Tails look bad. My project, it may be a race game in MM8BDM, but it's very different. My races are just races, you can't even kill each other.

In Tails' races you can kill each other (I think anyway...)

February 17, 2011, 05:45:39 AM
Reply #14

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 05:45:39 AM »
Ah, I simply didn't know something like that was possible in Doom. Either way, I think I'm getting a bit more original this way.

Since this isn't a double post, just going to say that CutMan Castle will be delayed a bit longer, since I feel the map should be bigger (Rtist turned out to be a F-Zero fan like I am, so that kind of sparked my interest in this project), BUT I'll have a short map ready as well that is not related to the Robot Masters at all. Also, the maps will be LMS only, to further add to the theme of Death Race. I had considered also doing DM, but really the idea of Death Races is either kill or be killed. Only problem with LMS is that it may give weapons like Mirror Buster, but "smart" players will know how to deal with it, especially since you won't be able to recover weapon energy.

I'll post again with the v0.1 download after I finish the two planned maps (or after someone else posts here, whichever comes later. I just want to avoid double posting).