Advanced Search

Author Topic: Useless Robot Master Weapons?  (Read 7754 times)

May 26, 2017, 12:52:58 AM
Read 7754 times

Offline Time Killer

• Standard Member

• Creator of Jolt Blast Crossover AU
  • Date Registered: May 25, 2017, 08:35:29 PM

• View Profile
    • My World
Useless Robot Master Weapons?
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
Simple question xD

May 26, 2017, 12:59:17 AM
Reply #1

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: Useless Robot Master Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:59:17 AM »
I don't think Metal Blade is that great. It doesn't even work on the Buebeam Trap!

May 26, 2017, 01:06:51 AM
Reply #2

Offline Time Killer

• Standard Member

• Creator of Jolt Blast Crossover AU
  • Date Registered: May 25, 2017, 08:35:29 PM

• View Profile
    • My World
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:06:51 AM »
Time Stopper is just for those who can't beat Quick Man or his stage tho..

May 26, 2017, 01:11:56 AM
Reply #3

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:56 AM »
I agree with Korby, I like Metal Blade but it's not that powerful in comparison to Shadow Blade.

I'm not a big fan of the Spread Drill either. Doesn't seem to like hitting targets.

May 26, 2017, 04:33:06 AM
Reply #4

Offline GameAndWatcher

• Standard Member

• Gosh!
  • Date Registered: April 03, 2011, 05:44:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:06 AM »
Spark Shock is technically worse than Top Spin. It's not a good stunning tool, considering if you switch out of it while an enemy is stunned, it immediately becomes unstunned. It's only ever good against Magnet Man.

May 26, 2017, 05:52:15 AM
Reply #5

Offline ZipZap

• Standard Member

• M a s t e r s O f S c i e n c e
  • Date Registered: November 19, 2016, 02:13:43 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:52:15 AM »
(click to show/hide)

June 12, 2017, 04:06:05 PM
Reply #6

Offline Robo-Rose

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 11, 2017, 06:59:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
Two words.
Charge Kick.

June 13, 2017, 07:59:56 AM
Reply #7

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
Two words.
Charge Kick.
Care to elaborate? Charge Kick in Mega Man 5 is actually my favorite weapon, you just have to know what you can slide through or not.

Oh, and my pick for bad weapon is... well, maybe just Time Stopper. It's only useful against Quick Man, and even then you can still use Crash Bomb instead.

June 15, 2017, 03:27:39 PM
Reply #8

Offline ObsidianBrineCS

• Standard Member

• Mega Man Legends is a good series!
  • Date Registered: March 02, 2017, 06:49:42 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
Two words.
Charge Kick.

Well, someone made a video that Charge Kick doesn't suck.

This guy, played 8 stages, just using the Charge Kick. (except for end bosses)
Also, this is just Part 1. Crazy, right...? :shock:

Welp, time to bust out the ol' Game Genie

June 17, 2017, 12:44:52 AM
Reply #9

Offline chuggaafan1

• Standard Member

• not a fan, really
  • Date Registered: November 26, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 12:44:52 AM »
being good with a weapon doesn't inherently make it not bad, but charge kick is a bad example.

top spin wouldn't be so bad but it suffers from mega man 3 being rushed as hell.
thunder wool absolutely slaughters exactly three things in the entire game and is completely worthless against everything else
water balloon is worse than the mega buster in every way

June 17, 2017, 09:54:56 AM
Reply #10

Offline Heihachi_73

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2014, 10:59:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »
I don't think Metal Blade is that great. It doesn't even work on the Buebeam Trap!
Metal Blades don't work on a number of things where they would have been useful - Sniper Armor, Springer, Crash Man, Quick Man, and they are also weak against Sniper Joe, Tanishi, Kerog, Matasuboro... it only does 1 damage against Wily as well (what's that, it does 2 damage? Stop playing on "normal" mode!!!)

Useless weapons. Every single one from Megaman 5 and 6 could be classified as a useless weapon. All sixteen Robot Master weapons lose to the default Mega Buster and a tiny blue bird! Actually, Gyro Attack isn't too bad (it can be fired vertically), and Flame Blast seems to be the weakness of just about every enemy in the game, including sub-bosses. The rest are a joke.

July 06, 2017, 10:40:19 PM
Reply #11

Offline Skullman the ROM-hacker

• Standard Member

• Jump Jump, Slide Slide!
  • Date Registered: July 06, 2017, 03:25:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »
water balloon is worse than the mega buster in every way

You could upgrade the amount of shots allowed on-screen to 5 anyways, not really giving water balloon a purpose except for being Sword Mans weakness.

July 07, 2017, 12:05:35 AM
Reply #12

Offline Skullman the ROM-hacker

• Standard Member

• Jump Jump, Slide Slide!
  • Date Registered: July 06, 2017, 03:25:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
Two words.
Charge Kick.
Its not the best, but is it really worse than Power Stone?

July 18, 2017, 04:39:08 AM
Reply #13

Offline Heihachi_73

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2014, 10:59:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 04:39:08 AM »
Hyper Bomb. I think there is only one or two places in the entire game where it can even be used to an advantage, and only if you can't be bothered using the buster or Thunder Beam or Rolling Cutter or Fire Storm anyway, all of which are infinitely faster and use less weapon energy. If a Hyper Bomb could kill a Big Eye in one shot they may have just been worth using on that occasion, but they can't even do that.

Time Stopper is more or less an item rather than a weapon, given that it doesn't hurt anything whatsoever except for Quick Man. It can be useful against the Air Tikis to stop the horns and gremlins from spawning, the falling crabs at the end of Bubble Man's stage, the Moles in Metal Man's stage and in Wily 3 (or the presses after that section, so you can run under them without having to wait), the Pipis in the annoying ladder section in Crash Man's stage so you don't have to do the ladder jump trick or resort to Leaf Shield or Metal Blades (especially if you haven't got them yet), and can stop two out of the three Frienders (Hot Dogs) from spawning in Wood Man's stage. You can also use it against Heat Man at the start if you have trouble dodging his first flame attack, however I tend to use it to freeze the Sniper Armor in mid air just before the boss room, as I find Heat Man's first attack easy to avoid (just run toward him as soon as it lets you move and do a small hop).

I find Needle Cannon fairly useless in the NES version of MM3, it is basically just the buster with slightly varying heights on each shot, and does exactly 1 damage on every single enemy in the entire game. In the Wily Wars however, Needle Cannon goes through defeated enemies like Metal Blades do, which makes it a lot more useful than the buster, and with the horrible firing rate in that game it is much better to just hold down the button and use the Needle cannon's auto-fire when there are a lot of things on screen such as Poles.

Magnet Missile loses weapon energy way too fast to be of any real use, I tend to only ever use it against Hammer Joes, Hard Man and Doc Metal to be honest. 14 uses of a fast-moving weapon that can have two shots on screen? Yeah, not even bothering. Anyone who is less experienced who has also hammered the fire button against Hard Man will have easily run out of them long before Hard Man has been destroyed due to the invincibility frames the Robot Masters have, and then have to resort to the buster and do 1 damage for the rest of the fight. Using Magnet Missiles is like using the Crash Bomber in my opinion. Powerful but next to pointless - Crash Bombs at least get points for killing Blocky (in "difficult" mode) and Kukku (Atomic Chicken) in one hit, hurting Wood Man behind his Leaf Shield and doing decent damage to Quick Man if he wants to keep running into the wall while it is blowing up (even against Flash Man if he uses the Time Stopper near a wall, as the explosion ignores the freezing period), it is also of course required to beat That One Level so it is definitely better than the Magnet Missile.

Spark Shock is definitely useless. I think the only time I ever use it outside of bosses weak to it is to freeze the Bouncers (Bikky) just for comedic effect. In fact, it's probably the second most useless weapon in the entire franchise besides the Super Arm, and only because the Super Arm solely relies on blocks actually being programmed to appear the stage, rather than being able to summon them from the air like Guts Man does (or when using Guts Man in Powered Up, from the ground).

Dive Missiles are also underpowered, whatever damage they can do usually ends up being upstaged by another weapon, be it Drill Bomb, Ring Boomerang, Dust Crusher, Pharaoh Shot, and even Rain Flush in some cases. In fact, if you like spamming buster shots, even the Flash Stopper beats it and gives you an easy target that won't move or shoot back (provided it isn't a boss not called Pharaoh Man), even the Skeleton Joes that otherwise crumble if you shoot them with a regular shot go down in three hits while frozen. Made even worse that the Dive Missile doesn't even do the full weakness damage against the only boss "weak" to it, so it still takes ten hits just like using a charged Mega Buster. That alone puts them down to scrappy tier alongside Spark Shock and Super Arm. The Skull Barrier is definitely one tier above this weapon, as it absorbs shots that would otherwise hit you, does the full 4 damage against Dive Man (the irony), and stops rocks from being dumped on your head in Drill Man's stage. Dive Missiles don't even attempt to home in on an enemy that is immune to them, including Drill Man when he is invincible while digging.

I don't tend to use Plant Barrier much either, I'm not really a fan of shield weapons that vanish as soon as something touches it. Plant Barrier only gets seven uses as well, making it the most useless shield type weapon in the entire series. It can't even be thrown, unlike the Star Crash that preceded it (and unlike Plant Man's own version). Then again, most of the weapons in MM6 are pretty useless besides the Flame Blast.