Advanced Search

Author Topic: How do I make the game load .PK3 files from another folder?  (Read 2257 times)

March 12, 2018, 09:48:02 PM
Read 2257 times

Sig

How do I make the game load .PK3 files from another folder?
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question/has been asked before, but how can I get MM8BDM/Zandronum load PK3 files from additional folders within the "skins" folder? My skins folder looks like this currently, as I sort of wanted to organize it:

Is there any way to get the game to acknowledge the files within \download_skins and \download_music without having to put all the files into one folder?

March 13, 2018, 07:50:10 AM
Reply #1

Offline Sir Anon0mos

• Standard Member

• Sir An0n, has it all on UHF
  • Date Registered: July 29, 2016, 02:00:58 AM

• View Profile
    • Steam
Re: How do I make the game load .PK3 files from another folder?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »
If you're using Doomseeker, add those folders to your File Paths.

If you're playing offline or using the in-game server browser (Doomseeker is much more preferable), you need to add all the files you want to the Extra Command Line Parameter:

Open the MM8BDM executable.
Select "Add Files" near the bottom.
Add all the files you want.

Also, the Skins folder will only work with skins and music (and other client-side only files). Maps won't be read there. You can keep the folders there without any trouble, but don't put skins/music into sub-folders. Keep them directly in Skins.

If you want to keep organized, I suggest moving all of the non-skin folders into a new folder in your MM8BDM directory (I named mine "WADS") and direct Doomseeker to the new folder and sub-folders. You can then direct Doomseeker's Wad Seeker to add files to WADS, where you can sort them into your sub-folders.

March 14, 2018, 04:29:14 PM
Reply #2

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: How do I make the game load .PK3 files from another folder?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:29:14 PM »
The only things that will be autoloaded by the skins folder are the ones in the root directory. Subfolders will not be read automatically.
It is generally not recommended to load anything but aesthetic/audio changes in the skins folder because otherwise you'll cause conflicts when you attempt to join a server online.