Advanced Search

Author Topic: Why I think Mega Man needs to move forward  (Read 3829 times)

May 08, 2017, 03:07:40 AM
Read 3829 times

Offline PacManFan

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 05, 2014, 03:49:42 AM

• View Profile
Why I think Mega Man needs to move forward
« on: May 08, 2017, 03:07:40 AM »
Gee, it's a been a while since I posted here AGAIN, huh? Now, I don't want to sound like that kid who did that racist Mega Man 9 review, But I had mixed thoughts when 9 and 10 were released. 9, I was okay with considering a lot of people wanted a "callback" game for a while, 10 though... Wasn't my cup of tea, And what really turned me off from both games was the removal of the charge shot and slide. Now before I begin, I want to tell you guys what I coin as "NSMB Syndrome", Which is moreso being over-reliant on nostalgia/"callback" elements (especially moreso when it's used more than once or multiple times in a row in just a few years), not introducing much new or barely making a change. Such examples are so:
(click to show/hide)
This has been something that has bugged me with so many game franchises, The term obviously being coined from New Super Mario Bros. and the effect it had on the Mario series during the Wii U era. Now, This is fairly old but a while back there was news about Capcom having a survey of which franchises fans would like to see make a comeback - One of which being Mega Man 11. Now, I know there are going to be people who are going to disagree with me, But IMO - If Mega Man DOES come back, It needs to really be a true Next-Gen sequel to Mega Man 8, Moreso in gameplay and mechanics especially. Because if they go for another "NES 8-bit callback with no charge shot or slide"? It's going to have the same negative effect NSMB had on the Mario series and the reliance of Green Hill Zone/Classic Badniks being shoved into Sonic games. ((And my personal complaint, Pac-Man being limited to his arcade roots instead of being able to expand upon that ALA Pac-Man World))

What do you all think? Is it time for change? What do you want to see?

May 27, 2017, 06:15:13 AM
Reply #1

Offline ZipZap

• Standard Member

• M a s t e r s O f S c i e n c e
  • Date Registered: November 19, 2016, 02:13:43 AM

• View Profile
Re: Why I think Mega Man needs to move forward
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 06:15:13 AM »
i thought megaman had to move forward to get to the end of the stage.
but i guess this works too.

June 05, 2017, 02:20:48 AM
Reply #2

Offline PacManFan

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 05, 2014, 03:49:42 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:20:48 AM »
i thought megaman had to move forward to get to the end of the stage.
but i guess this works too.
...Clever. :P

Seriously though, Hopefully to all who are reading this can get what I am trying to say.

June 12, 2017, 05:25:16 AM
Reply #3

Offline Blues22475

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 26, 2012, 03:15:11 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:25:16 AM »
I just want to see a new Mega Man Game period from Capcom; they have been just re-hasing things over and over again. I get it: it can get a new generation of gamers into the series, but it's not introducing something new. If they do release a "next gen" game, I would rather they release something that is 2.5D as they clearly showed they couldn't handle 3D games (Mega Man X7 is case and point) unless they can prove they learned something from that experience.

June 17, 2017, 08:09:04 AM
Reply #4

Offline Heihachi_73

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2014, 10:59:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
I would be fine with the Powered Up/Maverick Hunter X style - 3D graphics with 2D side scrolling movement. If the game has no chargeable shots or sliding, or NES style graphics/music on a brand new console e.g. Nintendo Switch, it's a deal breaker - I don't play wannabe ROM hacks.

Also, Megaman should actually look like Megaman in the official drawings, not the shitty Americanized version from Smash Bros. or Megaman Universe or the complete and utter failures of NES box art, where Megaman has gone from an obese construction worker to being Robocop (MM2 PAL versions, excluding Germany which got it right) to the MAD Magazine kid (US MM3/4/5).