Advanced Search

Author Topic: "Playing to win" in 8BDM  (Read 9358 times)

May 16, 2013, 04:15:55 PM
Reply #30

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
Re: "Playing to win" in 8BDM
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »
Quote from: "Tengu and Tango"
I think this is why the game is dead. You might as well re-name the game to "Saxton Hale 8-Bit Mega Man Edition." I honestly don't remember the last time I saw a remotely populated server that didn't have the same 20 people playing the same mediocre mod.
I can't agree with this anymore, seriously. The same damn mode can get so repetitive, I mustn't be the only one who's grown tired of it or worse, quit altogether.

Not to lash out at other people's opinions but can anybody tell me why Saxton Hale is so populated after all this time?

May 16, 2013, 04:33:57 PM
Reply #31

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
Same reason to why Classes and Roboenza were so popular in their day?

May 16, 2013, 04:45:13 PM
Reply #32

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
Yep. Roughly said, there is (and always will be) a popular wad that you don't like.
Live with it.
Or just keep on complaining that the majority has bad taste.
And no, CTF is not the answer to everything.
And using the buzzwords "quality" or "balance" just makes things completely annoying.
Fun is a very subjective thing, just saying. And Saxton Hale can be kind of fun, if you play it every now and then (not all the time though).

One thing I forgot: 2 or 3 always empty vanilla DM servers should be more than enough. And they always exist. For months already (Deathwind Vanilla, Alternia mm8bdm dedicated, Grandvoid Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch)

May 16, 2013, 04:46:11 PM
Reply #33

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
Quote from: "Ivory"

They were new.

I suppose few of us do remember Roboenza being the thing on the top of the Doomseeker page?
I remember that.

May 16, 2013, 05:14:47 PM
Reply #34

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Quote from: "Zerokk"
They were new.
Zerokk said exactly what I was about to say,
I can understand new mods becoming popular for their time, but Saxton is far from new now.

I guess whining about its popularity won't do me any good though, so I'll stop here.

May 16, 2013, 05:15:34 PM
Reply #35

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 05:15:34 PM »
Quote from: "Turbodude"
Quote from: "Zerokk"
They were new.
Zerokk said exactly what I was about to say,
I can understand new mods becoming popular for their time, but Saxton is far from new now.

I guess whining about its popularity won't do me any good though, so I'll stop here.

youre right guys!  :cool:

May 17, 2013, 08:58:09 PM
Reply #36

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »
Quote from: "Turbodude"
Quote from: "Tengu and Tango"
I think this is why the game is dead. You might as well re-name the game to "Saxton Hale 8-Bit Mega Man Edition." I honestly don't remember the last time I saw a remotely populated server that didn't have the same 20 people playing the same mediocre mod.
I can't agree with this anymore, seriously. The same damn mode can get so repetitive, I mustn't be the only one who's grown tired of it or worse, quit altogether.

Not to lash out at other people's opinions but can anybody tell me why Saxton Hale is so populated after all this time?

im sick of this mod too. although, i dont know if its the mod, or the people who go on those servers everyday that make me hate it. while the mod is still pretty buggy, the majority of the people who all they play is this mod are always bitching about a hale being op or whatever. dont get me wrong, i bitch about balance sometimes, but this is like constant everyday, and the people who bitch about it everyday make no attempt to stop playing the mod and instead choose to annoying others with their bitching.

another thing that bothers me is the lack of people going to other servers. at least in the roboenza/classes days, there were an even amount of people going to other servers besides those two. nowadays, all i see is people playing saxton. there's like so many other servers that rarely get played.

May 17, 2013, 09:35:36 PM
Reply #37

Knux

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
The following isn't directed at anyone in this thread, but I want to say it.

Hating a mode is one thing. But berating the people who play it is just wrong. Just play whatever you want and let other people enjoy themselves. Sure, it can be annoying to have so few people in the rest of the modes, but if it's fun for them then that's perfectly fine. As stated already, there are other servers up with different things, so just join one of those if you don't like Saxton that much.

May 17, 2013, 10:25:48 PM
Reply #38

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »
Quote from: "Knux"

Hating a mode is one thing. But berating the people who play it is just wrong. Just play whatever you want and let other people enjoy themselves. Sure, it can be annoying to have so few people in the rest of the modes, but if it's fun for them then that's perfectly fine. As stated already, there are other servers up with different things, so just join one of those if you don't like Saxton that much.

*cough*

Anyway, you're right.

May 18, 2013, 01:06:52 AM
Reply #39

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 01:06:52 AM »
Quote from: "Knux"

ok, maybe im wrong to stereotype people who play saxton everyday, but i never said they can't enjoy it. i have been to empty servers before and stayed there waiting for people. sometimes i wait for as much as a half hour before i actually leave. servers aren't fun when there's only a couple people in there, even if it's a mode i like. not saying people should do this or shouldn't do that, i just find it annoying that saxton's the only server i find people in.

i know you said that post isn't directed at anyone, but i can tell you said it because of my post

May 18, 2013, 04:52:45 AM
Reply #40

Knux

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:45 AM »
Quote from: "Watzup7856"
i know you said that post isn't directed at anyone, but i can tell you said it because of my post
No, because you weren't the only one talking about it. There was an argument going on about it, so I directed it to everyone in general. In any case, haven't we gotten off topic here?