Advanced Search

Author Topic: Changing the Base Skin: Giving the Tournament Robot a Face  (Read 25310 times)

May 09, 2016, 11:49:35 PM
Reply #30

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
Re: Changing the Base Skin: Giving the Tournament Robot a Fa
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »
Well there you go.

I'd suggest removing chest and shoulder pieces, using Protoman's jumpsuit as basis (arm pieces/belt/boots blue, shoulders black, torso and legs cyan), and perhaps making Maestro a little shorter.

As for his helmet...

(click to show/hide)

This is the best I could make: a mixture between "Sniper Joe" and Doomguy's helmet. A face-covered, slightly oval-shaped helmet with few linear marks on his jaw area, his ear pads and over his "eyes", a black monitor display acting as a visor with two digital eyes a-la Galaxy Man (with no physical separation between it and the lower/upper parts of the helmet, flat and uniform), and a single protusion on the front top that very slightly comes down.

May 10, 2016, 12:23:18 AM
Reply #31

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 12:23:18 AM »
To be honest.

It's really off putting. Like many of the new "skinners" will just make edits of this skin (not like the default Mega Man has been edited before), like many new M.U.G.E.N. programmers edit Kung Fu Man (that needs to be made a skin as well).

I mean why have a "Mega Man 8 bit deathmatch" game if Mega Man isn't the default skin?

May 10, 2016, 02:27:24 AM
Reply #32

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 02:27:24 AM »
Because everything minus this one skin is from the Mega Man series, in 8-bit, and even this skin is based off a generic NPC character from all 6+ games of a different Mega Man series (Battle Network).
Having folks edit this new base skin honestly won't happen as often as you think, most who base off Megaman is because most of the time he is used by the source material they are using. And having edits of this skin could even work out as a "custom" version of, heck some people might even adapt their edits to the character as their own person (if they don't have one).
And keeping in line of his origin design being the Normal Navi, in Battle Network, ALL navi's look like a normal navi (with their own names, evident in 4) until the user customizes them, which is where the bosses come from. So the whole "visual change" idea ends up working in line with the source material further.

May 10, 2016, 03:22:58 AM
Reply #33

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 03:22:58 AM »
First off this isn't called "MegaMan Battle Network 8 bit Deathmatch".

And second, Mega Man edits come off as lazy.

May 10, 2016, 04:30:53 AM
Reply #34

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 04:30:53 AM »
I don't really follow your logic, bass44. This is still a Mega Man game, having a little nod to another series in the Mega Man franchise isn't out of place. It's not even the exact same character or anything, it's simply a little allusion.

Mega Man edits don't really have anything to do with this--the character is not an edit of Mega Man, nor are any other skins in the core (barring capcom's own edits, such as MM10 Bass)

We didn't name the game Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch because Mega Man is the default skin. We called it that because the game itself is based on Mega Man and it's 8-bit and an FPS.

May 10, 2016, 04:33:57 AM
Reply #35

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 04:33:57 AM »
Quote from: "Kapus"
I don't really follow your logic, bass44. This is still a Mega Man game, having a little nod to another series in the Mega Man franchise isn't out of place. It's not even the exact same character or anything, it's simply a little allusion.

Mega Man edits don't really have anything to do with this--the character is not an edit of Mega Man, nor are any other skins in the core (barring capcom's own edits, such as MM10 Bass)

We didn't name the game Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch because Mega Man is the default skin. We called it that because the game itself is based on Mega Man and it's 8-bit and an FPS.

Okay think about this for a second.

Mega Man is the main character of the game. It makes sense to have him as the default skin.

May 10, 2016, 04:49:59 AM
Reply #36

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 04:49:59 AM »
There's hardly a main character in the game, though. Even in the story, Mega Man only appears as a helper character. The game is based around the Mega Man series, but as far as the story and campaign goes, Mega Man as a character is not the focus.

May 10, 2016, 04:50:31 AM
Reply #37

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 04:50:31 AM »
There's hardly a main character in the game, though. Even in the story, Mega Man only appears as a helper character. The game is based around the Mega Man series, but as far as the story and campaign goes, Mega Man as a character is not the focus.

I still DESPISE this idea. End of story

May 10, 2016, 06:47:01 AM
Reply #38

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
MMX has an aggregate review score of 88.50%
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
I honestly never thought the "MM" in MM8BDM was referring to the character and was instead encompassing the entire franchise, since every title in the series starts with the words "Mega Man". You're gonna tell me Mega Man is the main character of Mega Man X, or that Mega Man Zero also stars Mega Man? The logic used to name those other games is the same logic used to name this game as well.
Having said all that, the eyes on Maestro bum me out and I hope you can make those white squares look less unpleasant.

May 10, 2016, 11:49:49 AM
Reply #39

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
Maybe try for either an Astro Man-style eye display or even a Sniper Joe / Break Man-style visor. Except with two eyes like normal people have. Musashi is probably on the right track here.

I would also like to point out that there's nothing stopping you from replacing the base skin with whatever you like, post-release. If you want it to be Mega Man, hey, more power to you.

May 10, 2016, 03:23:48 PM
Reply #40

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
For awhile I've been in favour of changing the base skin, as it just seems silly to have loads of Megamans running around in online matches, which ends up happening a lot. It's also degrading for Megaman, as he's the main hero of the series and makes an appearance in the game, not being the player character.

While I've liked the idea of the base skin being Sniper Joe, due to them being mass produced, I'm starting to like Maestro more. Makes more sense for Dr. Light to make a robot like Maestro, especially since he probably stopped making Joe robots.

I say change the bass skin to Maestro. If not, Sniper Joe. It really is about time the base skin stopped being Megaman. Just make it clear at the start of the game that the player currently has their appearance-changing-thing disabled. Do so through Dr. Light's introduction thing.

May 10, 2016, 05:08:48 PM
Reply #41

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 05:08:48 PM »
I'mma say this again, if you're gonna add Maestro, change his design to be more basic and boring: no chest pieces, no shoulder pads, an even color distribution a-la Mega Man/Proto Man.

May 10, 2016, 06:10:53 PM
Reply #42

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: PJSalt
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
This is still a Mega Man game, having a little nod to another series in the Mega Man franchise isn't out of place.
technically we've already done it

X teleporting in when you clear the MM6 chapter, for starters :ugeek:

May 10, 2016, 10:27:56 PM
Reply #43

Offline chuggaafan1

• Standard Member

• not a fan, really
  • Date Registered: November 26, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »
i'm a sucker for anything bn-related so basing maestro off a normnavi is an instant plus, but i just feel like this is a good idea as a whole. you're not megaman, you're another robot built by doctor light, which the joe series bots aren't (anymore, anyways). a sniper joe would make sense for being mass-produced, but they're not light bots.

May 10, 2016, 10:57:33 PM
Reply #44

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: Maestro 8 bit deathmatch.
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »
Oh wow I guess I'm wrong because I'm the only person who doesn't agree with this.