Advanced Search

Author Topic: Gunslingers!! The Cowboy Duelist mod.  (Read 4802 times)

June 06, 2016, 08:23:26 AM
Read 4802 times

Offline Ehibika

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 15, 2015, 06:43:37 PM

• View Profile
Gunslingers!! The Cowboy Duelist mod.
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:23:26 AM »
No items....
No weapons...
No fancy gadgets or tricks...
No hiding...

Just you, him, and the guns in each of your hands.

Gunslingers!!, a mod that started primarily as a duel mod but is also viable in Deathmatch and Team LMS. designed for quick and highly skill based matches. the game pits you as one of 5 different colton models. each armed with the same gun and level of abilities. but carrying their own set of choice words for their opponent.

How does it play?

it's very simple really, you're armed with a revolver that has a clip of 6 shots, you have infinite ammo but reloading takes a bit of time. the revolver can fire as quickly as you can pull the trigger, but rapid fire makes all subsequent bullets veer off course and do a little less damage. so try not to make a habit of fanning the hammer all the time.

2 key mechanics are also present in this game mode. the ability to see enemy players behind walls, and damage drop-off with your bullets.

with the ability to see your foe's general location when not in your line of sight, the fight can start as quickly as possible with both parties being able to reach each other with minimal searching. and in games with more than one gunner, can keep an alert player from an unpleasant ambush by some yellow-bellied back shooter. which is important because of the second feature pivotal to this game mode: Damage falloff.

your bullets deal damage relative to the distance they travel from the one that shoots them. within a short radius around the user, damage falloff does not occur, and the bullets will do their full damage of 100 health. this area is what I call the "fatal zone", where one shot will down a foe instantly. past that small area, the bullets shrink in power until they reach their minimum of 25 damage.

mid ranged gun fights can end within 2-3 shots, but long ranged shootouts will always end with 4 shots.

how you take advantage of this is all up to you. you can try and ace the opponent with a close quarters fatal shot by hopping around the corner, but just remember. they'll always be able to do the same damage to you in that situation, and are just as aware of where you are as you are to them. they might be planning on doing the same thing in fact!

What is the goal of the mod?
First and foremost, it was intended to be a highly skill based duel game mod. with design choices being based off of common complaints I hear about duel. among those being the long waits. and the tendency for matches to drag on as opponents retreat for health and search for items.

here, I wanted to eliminate that. I wanted the opponents to be able to find each other immediately. I wanted them to be ready to go the moment they spawn. and I wanted matches to end quickly. but not quickly in the sense of he that spams first wins, or he that knows some secret advantage to dominate their foe will win.

The revolvers were made to be powerful and responsive, but demanding the player to have good aim, leading. and use of cover as you can't just run out guns blazing and hope for success. otherwise this will be all that's left of you:

What more needs to be done?
as it is now, it's in a working state, now I just need to flesh things out visually. make a hud that actually looks like the colton's revolver buster, and have some varying skins for all the different fighters. just to identify them from one another at least. while it's not important now since they all work the same, I do want to dable with giving them varying traits and stats that differ their play styles from one another.

not to mention, incorporate tumbleweeds in some way.

and while this would be out of my reach, I'd love to have some maps made specifically for this mod, once with more of a clear western or western steampunk theme to them.

Can I get the file?

A Best Ever server should usually be up most of the time, usually with western themed names when not using the word "Gunslingers", currently though, the latest file is available here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Qt8 ... npYY1dXQlk

Credits:
Celebi - Help with getting the Hudmessageonactor script to work online
Red_Lantern - Creator of the colton skin, which was pretty much my prime inspiration for this mod.

June 06, 2016, 09:24:17 PM
Reply #1

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
rip the streak 6/6/16
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:17 PM »
This is a lot of fun!  The only problem is that it tends to require more cover-based maps than ones reliant on rooms, since packed maps tend to have the players hugging walls and watching corners instead of getting into the heated gunfights you see on maps like MM1OIL.  You might be able to cut this down a bit by activating the markers at a certain distance, so that when the players are close enough to each other the indicators aren't visible.  That's been the biggest complaint from the servers, that the indicator can influence gameplay too much in close quarters.  I like the concept, though!  If I find some time between my own projects and DOS Reborn I might see about getting a map or two done for this.

June 06, 2016, 10:09:11 PM
Reply #2

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
Re: Gunslingers!! The Cowboy Duelist mod.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »
Largely boring and buggy. Fix reloading, remove (horribly coded) enemy sight, add footstep sounds. Needs a lot of tuning before people play it more than once and drop it forever.

June 07, 2016, 01:37:38 AM
Reply #3

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »
Yo, this is super fun. It's really simple to pick up, but it's challenging when you factor in finding cover, the spread the bullets do if you shoot too quickly, and going in for killshots. I also love the unique bits of flavor the mod itself adds- it certainly has a lot of character, from the obituary to the hats flying off to the silly class names. Nice work!

I will agree that the tracker kind of throws me off, but it's not a big concern. The matches fly by quickly and they're always fun to watch since they usually get pretty tense. I'd only recommend bumping the movement speed a tad- he feels super slow.

Looking forward to more updates for this.

June 07, 2016, 03:05:59 AM
Reply #4

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:05:59 AM »
I've had lots of fun with this just today. My only recommendation is, since LMS seems to be a thing, set up the tracer so it only appears in Duel. Having 15 different tracers on-screen is pretty disorienting.

June 07, 2016, 06:19:32 AM
Reply #5

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 06:19:32 AM »
Good mod but you should polish the lazy things like the mega buster obit and mega buster hud into something else more fresh (a new hud).
Also have the +INVENTORY.IGNORESKILL flag on the ammo because the ammo sound plays 6 times when reloading, but you get the the ammo 2 by 2 because of doubleammo. Have this flag so it gives you the ammo 1 by 1.
Speaking of which, have the reloading time only reload the missing amount of bullets and not the 6 bullets every time.
That aside yeah this mod is simple and good by me

June 07, 2016, 09:00:43 AM
Reply #6

Offline Ehibika

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
This is a lot of fun! The only problem is that it tends to require more cover-based maps than ones reliant on rooms, since packed maps tend to have the players hugging walls and watching corners instead of getting into the heated gunfights you see on maps like MM1OIL. You might be able to cut this down a bit by activating the markers at a certain distance, so that when the players are close enough to each other the indicators aren't visible. That's been the biggest complaint from the servers, that the indicator can influence gameplay too much in close quarters. I like the concept, though! If I find some time between my own projects and DOS Reborn I might see about getting a map or two done for this.

it being more cover based was admittingly intentional, as the damage dropoff was meant to give players the option of either trying to lead their shots further away knowing they have a higher margine for error, or taking the risk and trying to close in on the opponent for a high damage close range shot. but the markers do make attempting the latter difficult and even more risky than it should be. I'll implement a distance maximum so you only see them when you're sufficiently far away.

Largely boring and buggy. Fix reloading, remove (horribly coded) enemy sight, add footstep sounds. Needs a lot of tuning before people play it more than once and drop it forever.

Can't please everyone, but 4 out of 5 isn't bad. still though, give me some more details on these complaints. like what about reloading needs to be fixed beyond the unintentional 2 at a time ammo loading? exactly how is the enemy tracking "horribly coded"?

does it flicker a lot? that happens with pretty much everything online, not sure if I can do much about it.

is it inaccurate? again it does go a bit off center if you are at a higher or lower angle from them, so I tried to make it more of an approximation of where they are. I don't understand the math that the Hudmessageonactor function uses so I cannot really do much tuning to it.

but otherwise, it seems to do it's job as far as I can tell.

and what other things needs tuning? it's still in an early state so it's not going to be perfect right from the get-go, but I cannot fix what I don't know is broken.

Yo, this is super fun. It's really simple to pick up, but it's challenging when you factor in finding cover, the spread the bullets do if you shoot too quickly, and going in for killshots. I also love the unique bits of flavor the mod itself adds- it certainly has a lot of character, from the obituary to the hats flying off to the silly class names. Nice work!

I will agree that the tracker kind of throws me off, but it's not a big concern. The matches fly by quickly and they're always fun to watch since they usually get pretty tense. I'd only recommend bumping the movement speed a tad- he feels super slow.

Looking forward to more updates for this.

Thanks! and I'm going to work on the tracker. and I can raise the speed on the fighters some too, or at least the strafe speed since that's what I recall was specifically complained about. I tried to make the speed more in line with games like tf2 or overwatch as the base megaman moves rather fast. since leading shots is key, I didn't want classes to be able to move so fast that it feels like hammering the fire key yields better results more often than trying to judge the opponents movements and predict where they will be.

I've had lots of fun with this just today. My only recommendation is, since LMS seems to be a thing, set up the tracer so it only appears in Duel. Having 15 different tracers on-screen is pretty disorienting.

yeah, that was more of an experimental test at that time, I'll have it disabled for LMS in the future. that and make the deathsound only work in duel.

Good mod but you should polish the lazy things like the mega buster obit and mega buster hud into something else more fresh (a new hud).
Also have the +INVENTORY.IGNORESKILL flag on the ammo because the ammo sound plays 6 times when reloading, but you get the the ammo 2 by 2 because of doubleammo. Have this flag so it gives you the ammo 1 by 1.
Speaking of which, have the reloading time only reload the missing amount of bullets and not the 6 bullets every time.
That aside yeah this mod is simple and good by me

the huds in the works, with how badly my last 2 projects bombed despite all the work put into it, I was more focused on getting a functional product first, and then adding the visual elements as I go.

the whole 2 ammo thing was definitely a first for me, as I never had that happen to me before. thanks for the heads up on that flag.

and I'll make the reload time only reload missing bullets. I wanted reloads to be those strategic openings you have to put up with, and thus know when to retreat to cover so you can safely reload before the enemy tries to close in for a close range shot. my initial worry was that people would just fire one bullet and then immediately reload it over and over, and thus keep the opening short.

Ideally. I wanted the player to reload when they had 3 bullets or less.

June 07, 2016, 08:04:27 PM
Reply #7

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 08:04:27 PM »
Can't please everyone, but 4 out of 5 isn't bad. still though, give me some more details on these complaints. like what about reloading needs to be fixed beyond the unintentional 2 at a time ammo loading? exactly how is the enemy tracking "horribly coded"?
Reloading all 6 bullets when you've only used 2 seems wonky and unnecessary. Enemy tracking is REALLY laggy in terms of simply moving your crosshair around. Simply flicking your aim a bit makes the reticle-thing fly around until it eventually matches the enemy's location. Bit hard to explain but I'm sure you understand what I mean. Even then, I'm not sure if it's even worth keeping. I think Messatsu's "the hunted" mod made use of a similar system, but only displayed distance to your target, not their exact location. Eventually, with this system of knowing exactly where your enemy is, a metagame will pop up where the first person to move will lose. If there's some ambiguity then I think more risk and mindgames would be involved.

June 07, 2016, 09:37:49 PM
Reply #8

Offline Ehibika

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »
Quote from: "Bikdark"
Reloading all 6 bullets when you've only used 2 seems wonky and unnecessary. Enemy tracking is REALLY laggy in terms of simply moving your crosshair around. Simply flicking your aim a bit makes the reticle-thing fly around until it eventually matches the enemy's location. Bit hard to explain but I'm sure you understand what I mean. Even then, I'm not sure if it's even worth keeping. I think Messatsu's "the hunted" mod made use of a similar system, but only displayed distance to your target, not their exact location. Eventually, with this system of knowing exactly where your enemy is, a metagame will pop up where the first person to move will lose. If there's some ambiguity then I think more risk and mindgames would be involved.

Now that's the information I'm looking for. fortunately I've already answered the problem with the reload and the enemy tracking in today's update. for the latter, it deactivates once your in the general proximity of someone, and can even be toggled with a server variable to shut it off completely.

now the lagginess is something that really isn't my fault. it's more to do with zandronum's rather iffy netcode. plus the script is more so meant for finding the opponent in larger maps so in the very least, if it shows their general location, it's doing it's job.