Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Remove Thunder Beam OHKOs  (Read 3643 times)

December 19, 2014, 06:36:55 PM
Read 3643 times

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] Remove Thunder Beam OHKOs
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
Thunder Beam can OHKO at point blank range, because the side beams will deal damage multiple times as well as the frontal beam. This will deal either 105 or 120 damage depending on how square with the victim's bounding box you are. This is a problem because it is not difficult at all to pull off and immediately turns the tide in an engagement, and it trespasses on the territory of actual melee weapons.

There are a few potential fixes, some of which are better than others.
-You could nerf the damage of Thunder Beam to prevent this. To cover both possible damage value you'd have to nerf it to 12 damage, but of course this would significantly nerf the weapon overall.
-You could increase the speed of the weapon by 4 units. This would change the damage values above to both being 90. Still extremely powerful (maybe too powerful, and still potentially OHKOing if your enemy moves backward at the right time).
-You can spawn the left and right thunder beams in different positions. The easiest thing to do would be to spawn them further to the sides of the player than the center beam spawns (that is, spawning the right beam at the players right edge and the left beam at the player's left edge.) This would prevent these beams from dealing damage to a frontal target on a point blank hit (this is because of technicalities that I won't get into unless necessary), so a square hit would do just 45 and an offset hit would do 75 at most. This is a pretty good fix but maybe looks a little weird in-game?
-With some more changes to the code you could instead spawn the left and right beams farther back into the player (i.e., not as far forward as the front beam). If you spawned these beams 12 units back from where they are currently spawned, they will not a point blank target in front of you, so you'd do only 45 on a point blank hit. This may the best option as it is not quite as weird looking in-game as the option immediately above, and doesn't hurt functionality at all otherwise.

December 19, 2014, 07:54:15 PM
Reply #1

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Remove Thunder Beam OHKOs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
Couldn't you just make the side beams do less when they're first spawned and then respawn them again to do regular damage when they are far enough from the player to stop OHKOs?

December 19, 2014, 07:57:50 PM
Reply #2

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
You could approach this in a variety of ways, to be honest.
My personal favorite out of the given suggestions was the speed increase.

December 19, 2014, 08:13:34 PM
Reply #3

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
Quote from: "Fyone"
Couldn't you just make the side beams do less when they're first spawned and then respawn them again to do regular damage when they are far enough from the player to stop OHKOs?
This is also an option yes, but the question then is by how much do you nerf them during that time period? Options include just enough to remove the OHKO, enough to do just "reasonable" damage (maybe down to 10?), or to nothing at all.

December 19, 2014, 08:45:26 PM
Reply #4

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »
I don't recall how big is the hitbox, so my best guess to make it less likely to hit all three at point blank would be by reducing the hitbox size.

December 19, 2014, 09:37:55 PM
Reply #5

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
Intuitively you'd think that would work, but in fact the way the beams (or any weapon's projectile, for that matter) are spawned and the way collisions are detected for dealing damage, reducing the hitbox size won't actually help (unless you gave it a radius of 1, which is of course absurd).

Personally I'm fond of moving the spawn location of the side beams slightly, as this changes the weapon very little aside from at point blank range.

December 19, 2014, 10:59:01 PM
Reply #6

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »
Another solution I can think of is so the victim gains PowerProtection to Thunder Beam for 2~3 tics as soon as they get hit by it. One experiment I did with that once resulted in the test dummy taking only one hit rather than many and it was a test involving multiple projectiles hitting it at once.

September 02, 2015, 05:45:06 AM
Reply #7

Offline mahmoudehab1000

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 29, 2015, 12:37:44 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
There is no one ko for thunder beam inside the game already maybe cause you cant target in a good way or something