Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Indicate time left for assist items  (Read 2530 times)

May 30, 2016, 11:40:40 AM
Read 2530 times

Offline IamaMedalHunter

• MM8BDM Extender

• Whimsical Metal Cyclops
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2014, 12:00:09 AM

• View Profile
    • Medal's Youtube, idk, I'm not a YTber
[Suggestion] Indicate time left for assist items
« on: May 30, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
The assist tools are an important aspect of this game. Some help you get somewhere, some help you attack your enemies. While it's not important to know how long until your attack-assisting pet's energy is drained, I feel like it's needed for mobility items that last a while.

For Rush Jet, Beat Call and maybe for Treble Sentry, Tango Roll, Beat Assist and Reggae : display an icon on a corner with an ammo bar that drains for the time the assist is being used.

For Item 1, since it doesn't strictly "belong" to the player, have it blink as it's about to disappear.

May 30, 2016, 02:07:05 PM
Reply #1

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Indicate time left for assist items
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:05 PM »
I second this.

Treble Sentry, Tango Roll and Reggae might not be in need of it, but the others would definitely benefit from this. Now that you mention it, it's surprising that Item-1 doesn't already have the blink before it disappears.

May 30, 2016, 03:41:20 PM
Reply #2

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
See I'm opposed to the map-affecting summons for a couple reasons:

1. You can have multiple summons of the same type out at once.

This can either be the result of a given map's structure or just by milling out two uses of the item from the same pickup. Either way, you can have at least two out at one time, which would make keeping track of these units in terms of timers far more difficult as the UI would begin to either look cluttered or the implementation would be counter intuitive and unclear.

2. They don't particularly last all that long.

Treble Sentry fires a number of burst shots before disappearing, and Tango is a straight projectile. Having a UI element for Gemini Laser would make about as much sense as having one for Tango.

While I guess this type of thing could be nice for items like Beat Support, as it doesn't do the blink thing other items like Rush Jet and Rush Marine do for whatever reason, I don't think it would be the best thing for items like Treble, Tango, and Reggae.

... Though, the amount of time Reggae scouts an area should be looked at, I think. Given how vast of an area he can cover and how long he lasts, he can kind of shut down an area for a dude.

As for Item 1, I had implemented flashing already for this coming version.

August 02, 2016, 05:14:59 AM
Reply #3

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 05:14:59 AM »
Treble Sentry would be nice to have a duration visual. Just put a bar over his head that drains over time or whatever, that'll do just fine.

As for Beat Support, Rush Jet, and Rush Marine, it would be nice to see exactly how much "fuel" you have left with them. Especially Rush Marine, since you can leave water and then come back, and it resumes its fuel count where you last left off.

March 09, 2017, 07:23:57 PM
Reply #4

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
Personally I don't think it's worth the HUD clutter but if someone can make a neat way to show the timers we can consider it.

Putting bars over the assists themselves while they're out in the open is more hassle than it is worth so we won't be doing that.