Advanced Search

Author Topic: KD's Challenge Log  (Read 3316 times)

January 17, 2017, 08:34:03 PM
Read 3316 times

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
KD's Challenge Log
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:34:03 PM »
Welcome to KD’s Challenge Log. I've kept a little list of all the silly challenges I've discovered/completed (or Korby/Mickle/Venus have told me about), so I thought I'd format it a little and share it with everyone, in case anyone is ever bored and wants to try some for themselves. (This will be centralized so my old two threads on related matters can be ignored.)

KEY
Difficulties are just my opinion, and they are relative, meaning EASY challenges may not be easy by your everyday-gameplay standards, but are easy by the standards set by the rest of the challenges. Though many of the EASY challenges are actually pretty easy.
EASY (E) challenges are straight-forward and don’t require very precise or technical execution. Expect to spend just a few minutes on these, succeeding within a few attempts.
MEDIUM (M) challenges are usually straight-forward, but may require prolonged focus and/or more difficult execution. Expect to spend just a little more time on these, needing a few more attempts.
HARD (H) challenges may not be straight-forward, requiring some problem solving or experimentation before you start attempting to complete them. The execution may require endurance, prolonged focus, and precise inputs. Expect to have to grind these out pretty hard.
VERY HARD (VH) challenges may require significant planning and strategizing. They may also require very precise execution. Expect to spend a long time on these.
INSANELY HARD (IH) challenges may demand creative thinking, requiring you to discover new mechanics or hiding the solution behind non-obvious executional barriers. They may also require the strictest of precision in execution. Expect to spend lots of time on these.

No * = I have completed the challenge myself.
* = I have not completed the challenge myself, but I have confirmed it is possible. (For example, maybe I just haven't put everything together in one attempt.)
** = The challenge may or may not be possible.

GLOBAL RULES
1. Challenges must be completed under normal server settings. This means, in particular:
sv_cheats 0
sv_infiniteammo 0
sv_infiniteinventory 0
sv_gravity 800
sv_aircontrol 0.5
2. Only vanilla MM8BDM may be loaded, except in the case of the classes challenges, in which case only vanilla MM8BDM and classes-v8d.pk3 may be loaded.
3. Some of the platforming-based challenges may require SR50. You can see read about what SR50 is and how to use it here, in section VII.B.

CAMPAIGN CHALLENGES
These challenges all have to do with the MM8BDM single player mode.
(click to show/hide)
CLASSES CHALLENGES (CBM)
These challenges involve classes-v8d.pk3.
(click to show/hide)
PLATFORMING CHALLENGES
I’ll add to this list periodically. This is by no means an exhaustive list of every jump I’ve found, it’s just a small, interesting sample.
(click to show/hide)
SILENT FALL CHALLENGES
The premise of Silent Fall is to collect every weapon on the map (if there is more than one token of a weapon, you only need one) without making a landing noise (commonly referred to as a 'bloop').
Silent Fall Rules:
1. Collect every weapon on the map, excluding buster upgrades.
2. You cannot make a landing noise for any reason. (This means you CANNOT do the tricks from the Silent Fall competition that blooped but didn't make you lose.)
3. You must begin the challenge at the specified weapon token, with nothing acquired from the map.
4. You may use any items you acquire on the map, with the below exceptions. You may not use any weapons you acquire.
5. The following items are banned from usage – Rush Jet, Rush Marine, Eddie, Party Ball, Exit Unit.

NOTE: This is by no means an exhaustive list. These are just a selection of the doable and interesting maps.
(click to show/hide)
ZERO JUMP SILENT FALL CHALLENGES
Think of Zero Jump Silent Fall (ZJSF) as a sort of hard-mode Silent Fall. The rules are slightly altered, but overall the challenge is in the same spirit. The goal is still to collect every weapon on the map (excluding buster upgrades), and you're even allowed to use the weapons you acquire to help you out. There are some additional new catches though, most notably that you may not jump at all!
Zero Jump Silent Fall Rules:
1. Collect every weapon on the map, excluding buster upgrades.
2. You cannot use +jump or -jump in any way.
3. You cannot make a landing noise for any reason.
4. You must begin AND end the challenge at the specified weapon/item token. You may not have anything acquired from the map when you begin. You must be standing totally still to begin and end the challenge, and you may not fail upon ending it (meaning, you can't land on the ending with a landing noise).
5. You may use any weapons and/or items you acquire on the map, with the below exceptions.
6. The following items/weapons are banned from usage (though you must still collect them, in the case of normal weapons) – Treble Boost, Super Arm, Astro Crush, Time Slow, Ice Wall, Lightning Bolt, Exit Unit, Eddie, Party Ball, Rush Jet, Rush Marine.

NOTE: This is by no means an exhaustive list. These are just the ones I currently know of that are interesting. (On the other hand, pretty much any map with Tornado Hold is doable but isn’t very interesting.)
(click to show/hide)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Use this thread for discussion/questions about any of the above! Or, if you have any of your own challenges, feel free to share them here! I look forward to seeing some other people complete some of the really hard challenges.

January 20, 2017, 09:16:59 PM
Reply #1

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
Re: KD's Challenge Log
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
I'm 99.95% sure there was a super ol' topic that had a massive user-generate'd lists of achievements/challenges.
I can't find it though, but there were some decent ones on that topic if anyone bothers to unearth it from the pits of Cutstuff forum hell.

January 21, 2017, 12:31:12 PM
Reply #2

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
I'm 99.95% sure there was a super ol' topic that had a massive user-generate'd lists of achievements/challenges.
I can't find it though, but there were some decent ones on that topic if anyone bothers to unearth it from the pits of Cutstuff forum hell.

You might be out of luck, I recall it was posted in the forum game section back when inactive threads in there would be outright purged, and it wasn't saved into the forum game archive.

January 21, 2017, 11:49:37 PM
Reply #3

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »
I was in charge of it, and yes, it was purged from existence.

March 03, 2017, 03:06:27 PM
Reply #4

Offline IamaMedalHunter

• MM8BDM Extender

• Whimsical Metal Cyclops
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2014, 12:00:09 AM

• View Profile
    • Medal's Youtube, idk, I'm not a YTber
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
I was testing custom chat macros on MM9FAK and ended up screwing around, mostly with Item2. And eventually I've discovered a long trip above the bottomless floor from the Laser Trident ledge to the Item2 floor is possible to pull off.
(click to show/hide)

Done with vanilla only, no cheats, automap overlay can be useful to guide jumps timing :

-Acquire TornadoBlowWep, Item1 & Item 2 on the map (or enter "give TornadoHoldWep ; give Item1 3 ; give Item2 2" in the console because it's a bother to collect them again if you fail and besides, collecting's not the point)
-Stand on the Laser Trident ledge
(click to show/hide)
-Use your Items 1 to get away from the ledge and jump with Tornado Blow while aiming the closest to the wall further away
(click to show/hide)
-Use Item2 and when you reach the world's limit (shown on automap overlay), jump with Tornado Blow, trying to set yourself so you can see the Item2 floor.
(click to show/hide)
-Use your last Item2 and then, jump with Tornado Blow to land on the Item 2 floor. Landing on the ledge right before at the barrier is considered success too.
(click to show/hide)