Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Treble Sentry variant for team modes.  (Read 3542 times)

July 12, 2015, 08:31:45 PM
Read 3542 times

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] Treble Sentry variant for team modes.
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »
So when recently going back to play Mega Water S.'s stage on campaign mode, I noticed something about Treble Sentry. Even now that we're at v4, he still doesn't target enemies on team modes. Now I understand that this is some sort of engine issue in which all homing or enemy targeting fails to work properly on team games, however I can't help but remember something in particular from awhile back.

See, in a custom CTF map pack, I specifically remember Treble Sentry being different. When collecting the item to summon Treble, the pickup icon would say "Treble Strike" as opposed to "Treble Sentry". On these maps, Treble would behave differently in that instead of targeting opponents, he would either fire rapid spreadshots forward, or circle around constantly firing bullets. This was a great workaround for the inability for Treble to target opponents in team games.

So my question is, why the heck has this not been included into the main game? This seriously seems like a no brainer and would be very easy to implement. Simply change the coding of the pickup item to check the gamemode being played, and if it's a team game, give the player Treble Strike instead of Treble Sentry. Easy change that would make Treble not seem like a doofus in team modes.

August 02, 2016, 05:18:52 AM
Reply #1

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Treble Sentry variant for team modes.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 05:18:52 AM »
Actually, Lego tells me it's entirely because Treble is a monster, not a projectile like all other summons in the game. See, the weird part's that homing works totally fine in team modes, except for CTF specifically. Try using Hornet Chaser sometime, it's the best way to immediately notice whether homing works or not.

You could just change Treble to a projectile with no collision that deals zero damage, and have him fire shots that have pin-point perfect "homing" for 1 tic. The shots would redirect themselves to a player but continue to move straight forward (as they have now lost their homing), which replicates Treble's current behavior of aiming at an enemy player and firing. Actually, because Treble is now a projectile that shoots more projectiles, he'd have the added bonus of not killing its owner or any allies (since you can't normally take damage from your own weapons, but a monster can damage you because it's a monster).

August 02, 2016, 11:30:28 AM
Reply #2

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
See, the weird part's that homing works totally fine in team modes, except for CTF specifically. Try using Hornet Chaser sometime, it's the best way to immediately notice whether homing works or not.

I'm more surprised this hasn't been reported on the Zandronum issue tracker yet.

October 16, 2016, 03:21:13 AM
Reply #3

Offline Megaman94

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 08, 2013, 08:49:51 PM

• View Profile
    • http://sonicfansunited.forumotion.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 03:21:13 AM »
See, the weird part's that homing works totally fine in team modes, except for CTF specifically.

I was playing with bots in Team Deathmatch mode, and Treble Sentry does not behave has it should. As you can see I am on the Dr. Light team and Treble does not home in on players on the other team. (i.e. Bass on the Dr.Wily Team). There isn't a way they can fix this for team game modes?

October 16, 2016, 03:29:46 AM
Reply #4

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 03:29:46 AM »
You could just change Treble to a projectile with no collision that deals zero damage, and have him fire shots that have pin-point perfect "homing" for 1 tic. The shots would redirect themselves to a player but continue to move straight forward (as they have now lost their homing), which replicates Treble's current behavior of aiming at an enemy player and firing. Actually, because Treble is now a projectile that shoots more projectiles, he'd have the added bonus of not killing its owner or any allies (since you can't normally take damage from your own weapons, but a monster can damage you because it's a monster).

I'm pretty sure that this solution named here would work.