Advanced Search

Author Topic: Brutal DOOM  (Read 15608 times)

June 30, 2015, 03:09:36 AM
Read 15608 times

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
Brutal DOOM
« on: June 30, 2015, 03:09:36 AM »
There is some weeks ago, Brutal DOOM v20 is released, some people dont like it because there was some problems between Sergent Mark and some others guys, i dont know and i dont care, i mean, better to play a mode if it's good hu ?

Anyways, it's what i posted in the zandronum forum, about the news things of Brutal doom v20 (compared to vanilla doom).
Brutal DOOM is not only a weapon mode who buffed the weapons:

The zombies have more HP than Normal doom and shoot faster than the normal one who is just "walk around, shoot 1 bullet, continue to walk a little and then, die with 1 or 2 bullet of the pistol of Doomguy, In brutal doom, you need to hit the head to kill them quickly (and it can hard to do it, but you can use the scop mode with alt). same with shotgunner or machinegunner, they are more reactive and have more HP.

Some ennemies can be killed in 1 shot of SSG, like the cacodemon, or the Revenant, but you need to be really in close range....
Like stuck on a cacodemon but it can be dangerous, same with the revenant, you need to shoot the head really close.
In an other way, Cacodemon can dodge your attacks by, suddenly "dashing" on the air, it's really hard if you try to kill them with a Rocket Launcher.... they shoot the fireballs faster too.

The revenants spam more the little rockets but the splash damage is not so powerful, except if you take the rocket directly on you.
It's like the cyberdemon, he can spam more rocket (like 5) but faster than the vanilla cyberdemon, but yeah, if you take the rocket directly on you, it hurts.

What about if vanilla Cyberdemon shoot only 1 rocket who do a huge splash damage who kill you in 1 shot? You seem my point, Brutal DOOM try to make the gameplay faster with more dodge and with a precis gameplay (you can headhsot the zombies or revenant to kill them faster but it's not so easy).

The point of brutal doom is to improve the gameplay in a way, in the v20, the weapons are more balanced than before and all of them are helpful, the grenade is what we need in DOOM, a weapon a do a rounded trajectory, angle..... (like a grenade launcher), you can have only 20 grenades by bag, but the power is really great, a good way to be tactic. The grenade is maybe very powerful but it doesnt explose directly on the ennemy, so it's balanced in that way.

What about the Baron of Hell ? he can charge a 5 plasmaballs but need a little time to do it. He can take an explosive barrel and throw it at you, the Hell Knight can shot the plasma balls faster too.

The imp seems to have more HP too, shoot fireballs faster and can jump on your to slash you.
Like some others ennemies, sergent mark added more balance between strong stuff and weak stuff to make an other new gameplay for the game.....

Some ennemies can be killed faster in a way but you need some skill to do it, if you do well, you deserve your success, if you fail, you was just not accurate/precis. It's not just spam ennemy with autoaim/no-mouselook (but i respect this way to play because it's basically doom.)
For the reload, the reload of the weapons are just for the style but it can be done very quickly (except for the Double gun but yeah balance..) but the best is when you change the weapons => it's done VERY QUICKLY, so, in doom vanilla, when you change a weapon, it can be dangerous sometimes, in brutal doom, it's not more a problem.

The "finish" are not so easy to do, it can be dangerous if you have a strong ennemy near you who wait to hit you when you finish an ennemy....and it gives only 10 hp now....

What about the special difficult 10/12 scale who make the ennemy 2x Faster? I did it with Udoom, it was full of fun. :)

The Double Gun is good but it's only for 2 weapons, the m4 type and Plasmagun, the Double M4 is less precis than the usual m4 and the double plasmagun is not precis at all (for balance with the normal plasmagun). I use double plasmagun against Cyberdemon, Master Spider (from far) or against some ennemies waves....
Each weapons has really his role, the mancubus weapon is pretty helpful too (fun to burn a zombies who go everywhere and burn the other, they start to attack the burnt zombie and then, you can attack them in their back lol :)

I play often the normal DOOM (with mouselook) but Brutal DOOM is a good way to play a faster and very precis gameplay than just classic'... and anyways, maybe DOOM is like a perfect game but it's always fun to have some ideas who can make the game more accurate in some others ways.....

But im happy to see Brutal DOOM v20 is popular, more than before:

TRAILER BRUTAL DOOM V20.
https://youtu.be/oSzYliSASKc
The trailer get like 350 000 views and a lot of likes in 1 week...see now.... near 800 000, crazy, im not scared for the community of this mode (:

June 30, 2015, 04:31:36 AM
Reply #1

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
Re: Brutal DOOM
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:31:36 AM »
Brutal Doom is a nice mod, I'll give credit where credit is due.
It's a nice change of pace from original Doom and has a lot of aesthetic touches and changes that make the experience feel like slightly more than Doom.
Buuuut...I find it to be a bit...shall I say...over the top.

Also as I recall V20 has some compatibility thing with FreeDoom. Accomplished by porting over a large amount of vanilla Doom assets to do so, this feature violates most laws of copyright. I can't say I'd be happy with supporting the mod under such conditions.
I...I will say I appreciate the Baron picking up and throwing the barrel, though...that's kinda neat...

June 30, 2015, 01:55:15 PM
Reply #2

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
"over the top" = you mean, overrated or overhyped?

i posted this too:
There is an other thing too, with Brutal DOOM, you can't play some wads who have a lot of ennemies, it can lag a lot.... or if there is some custom ennemies, it can't work well :/ (like resurgence, scythe or valiant).

DOOM is run&gun but Brutal DOOM just modify the style of gameplay.... I played Resurgence and Hell Bound (last maps have a lot of ennemies, specially map29 :/ ) with the normal doom, as always, it's a ton of fun.
If i play some wads who has not a lot of waves (like doom2reloaded, or TNT), i use Brutal DOOM for the fun' (:

Valiant seems to be a nice special wads but you can't use brutal doom at all, with this wad. :)

June 30, 2015, 03:43:00 PM
Reply #3

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
I've heard about Brutal Doom's popularity before, but I've never actually played it myself. I've heard some pretty horrible things about the author, and I refuse to support him as a result. Let's just say he's permanently banned from the ZDoom and Zandronum forums and leave it at that.

June 30, 2015, 04:00:23 PM
Reply #4

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »
Quote from: "Beed28"
I've heard about Brutal Doom's popularity before, but I've never actually played it myself. I've heard some pretty horrible things about the author, and I refuse to support him as a result. Let's just say he's permanently banned from the ZDoom and Zandronum forums and leave it at that.

You play a mode if this mode have a devroom who has a good notoriety? It sucks.....You could just try to have some funs, i dont care about who made some modes, if i have fun with it, i will play with it, that's all.

I knew a guy who removed all the friends He had on facebook because they arent communist like him' (like me lel), it's the same thing. Fun before Notoriety is more important :/
Or it's like if you say "this mode is not popular, i wont play it" in an other way....
When convictions, notoriety, popularity, will take the spot of fun, friendship and others, the world wont be fun anymore :/
And yeah, i have heard about that too, but i dont care, it's weird..... :o

At least, Brutal DOOM is very popular so, in a good side, it wont die.

July 01, 2015, 01:26:22 AM
Reply #5

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:26:22 AM »
I 'd think twice before playing any game made by toxic developers. But that's besides the point.

I tried Brutal Doom once, was pretty fun, although the raunchyness and over-the-top violence seemed to me like it steered away a bit too much from Doom. You see, classic Doom (from what little I can recollect) is more about fear induced by mildly grotesque violence and very moody and ominous ambience and creatures, while Brutal Doom was just obscene and chuckful of gore for the sake of it. Classic Doom took gore and sprayed it in fair portions when it needed it, while Brutal Doom just pours gore with little rhyme or reason 'till you get this extremely salty food that veers away from Doom's humble arcade-style, pseudo-slapstick early 90s american saturday morning cartoon violence.

July 01, 2015, 01:36:45 AM
Reply #6

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »
It's not just the atmosphere who change (gore or not, it's always fast paced anyways), the gameplay is pretty different too.
The gore of brutal doom is more comical, specially with some finish (:
And in 93, there was some limit for the engine, like horizontal shoot with autoaim, i play doom with very low autoaim (or never) and Mouselook ON.... Really better if you need to kill a shotgunner who is under and behind a cacodemon, by exemple.... DOOM (vanilla) is very good but not perfect....what if it was made in 2000 year? : p

July 01, 2015, 01:44:56 AM
Reply #7

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:44:56 AM »
Brutal Doom basically puts that silly "Doom comic" thing into the game. So yeah, it's supposed to be crazy. It gets rid of part of Doom's charm, though.
Not sure who said this sentence first, but:
Doom’s hardly the cleanest of games, but it has a boyish charm to it - Doom is Eddie winking at you on the cover of an Iron Maiden album, Brutal Doom is a screaming face being pressed into a meat grinder on the cover of a Cannibal Corpse album.

October 21, 2015, 02:39:35 AM
Reply #8

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 02:39:35 AM »
The updates for the next v20b

https://youtu.be/27LMy3sCbBA

Very good, specially for the evil marines of Scythe and others ;)

EDIT: Starter Pack Video, this mod can become more and more awesome! =)

It seems, you must use the jump, nice, could be interesting!

October 22, 2015, 11:54:12 AM
Reply #9

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
Quote from: "MusashiAA"
Classic Doom took gore and sprayed it in fair portions when it needed it, while Brutal Doom just pours gore with little rhyme or reason 'till you get this extremely salty food that veers away from Doom's humble arcade-style, pseudo-slapstick early 90s american saturday morning cartoon violence.
This is, for the most part, my opinion on Brutal Doom.

I will admit, the "Classic" class added in V20 is a nice touch to keep the game fast paced.

October 22, 2015, 03:57:27 PM
Reply #10

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
But the mod is actually well balanced between the weapons and the ennemies (at least, since v19 because i started with this version). It's not a mod who is "wtf" and it makes DOOM really harder with a way to shoot who is more precis.... (i can't imagine some wads like the last maps of resurgence with brutal doom...even in the easiest difficult)
I think, a lot of people try to give a lot of hate against Brutal DOOM because it's very popular, a lot of websites (even some french websites) did a lot of review for it....it give to brutal DOOM, some popularity, and like that, people can know what is doom (in general) like the mods, vanilla ect.... But a lot of people are jealous.
Also, i talked with Sergent Mark, he is a nice guy and im sure he had his "bad" moments like every people....also, when people starts to bash (for free and fun) a mod You worked a lot on, the programer can become mad, legit when the mod is well made, specially....

October 29, 2015, 02:19:21 AM
Reply #11

Offline jacob

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2015, 02:08:52 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 02:19:21 AM »
I can kinda understand being upset about the suicide thing, but I don't know the whole story, and doubt I'll get it, so i'll stay quiet. But have we really gotten to the point where someone jokingly putting the n word in code gets this kind of reaction? All the non white, and a couple white, coders I've met are fucked if thats the case.

Its still one of the better more fully fleshed out mods so meh if its fun its fun thats what matters. Usually I couple it with other mods because why limit myself but still even alone its pretty fun. If you dont like it fine, but lots of people do so yeah

January 04, 2016, 06:35:48 PM
Reply #12

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
v20b released!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »
Here the trailer:
(click to show/hide)

The wad use the style of duke nukem 3D level design, realistic style with some fun stuff (like supermarket and shop) tanks and sentry but it's really well made, the wad is not too hard and made to be played in the hardest mods.
Also, it adds new epic boss ! (and new metal style musics ;) )

January 05, 2016, 02:40:15 AM
Reply #13

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 02:40:15 AM »
Oh, yeah, the starter pack. It has some nice maps (Some of them were taken from Freedoom and edited, though).
A really bad thing in this map pack are some death traps with no warning in a couple of hell levels.

January 06, 2016, 03:40:02 PM
Reply #14

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »
Quote from: "Laggy Blazko"
(Some of them were taken from Freedoom and edited, though).
I knew Map07 seemed strikingly familiar. (aside from being another Dead Simple clone, of course.)

It was bugging me all throughout playing it, I thought it was just a coincidence.