Advanced Search

Author Topic: What are you favorite FPS? (except mm8bdm)  (Read 12596 times)

April 22, 2015, 05:32:58 PM
Read 12596 times

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
What are you favorite FPS? (except mm8bdm)
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
You can say what are your favorites fps and why.

Mine are:

1/Heretic, Doom-like with Medievial/Fantastic mystic style, the OST is pretty special too. I like how is the inventory too, the tome of power modify all your weapons and make them stronger/differents, also, you have a lot of differents zones: forest/ forest with creek, Citadel, Castle, Church, Volcano/magma..ect.... Need more love for Heretic but yeah, he is very unpopular anyways, maybe my favorite FPS, there wont be a new one but i hope there will be some others extensions for this Heretic. (I need to finish Horde of Chaos, Master of Chaos and an other of 1 episode, fanmades.
2/Doom: The only FPS where you have a so dynamic style, you can kill 3 or 4 ennemies with a Super Shotgun, those ennemies can hurt you a lot too, fast move, some good weapons, the rythm of doom is perfect for me. With Brutal Doom, it becomes more than perfect, like Crazyyyyy, but good :)
3/Duke Nukem 3D: Funny FPS, Good and fast moves, a nice inventory, some funny weapons (like the shrinker or laserbombe thing), there is the vertical line too in this game, but you have a lot of variety of maps and it's like realistic, even if it's old, it's really good.
4/Quake: Awesome gameplay, pretty well made, i dont like a lot the atmopshere but the gameplay is very good and very agressive i like it
5/Hexen: I finished only the first one with the 3 characters,i need to finish the expension.....Only 4 weapons for each characters but the atmosphere and the level design are awesome....mystic style. (:
I could say Wolfenstein, but i didnt like the last one (TNO) and the 2001 one is not so......huge' :/
I need to try blood, but i need to find a way to play with mouselook (yeah i need it >< )

April 22, 2015, 08:19:46 PM
Reply #1

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
Re: What are you favorite FPS? (except mm8bdm)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
3 best FPS:
Doom: yes.

Quake: I love its atmosphere (its weapons look quite gothic, so I think they fit Quake's medieval themes as well as sci-fi themes) and its physics (pushing friends away with a rocket launcher is priceless).

Wolfenstein 3D: The enemies use mostly strong hitscan weapons and run faster than most enemies in other games, but they can be killed very quickly (except for bosses). This makes it the most tense classic singleplayer FPS, IMO, while still being fast placed.

I also love modern military shooters like CoD, but I woudln't count them as favorites. Except for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but it's not actually "modern" anymore, so...

April 22, 2015, 08:40:45 PM
Reply #2

Offline Ghoulitine

• Athlete
  • Date Registered: December 30, 2013, 10:23:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »
I don't really have any favourite FPS.
Blood and Shadow Warrior are pretty good, so is the reboot of Shadow Warrior, its alot more linear, but still pretty fun.
I kinda want to include TF2, but i can't, simply because there is always something in that game that i just cant stand. (random crits f.e.)
Played it for quite some time though, so, yeah.
A game that had quite some flaws but is still pretty fun to me is "Oddworld - Stranger's Wrath". It's basically an ego-shooter platforming hybrid,
and actually an underrated game.

April 23, 2015, 12:22:36 AM
Reply #3

Offline -FiniteZero-

• Standard Member

• I'm somwhere.
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

• View Profile
    • http://s4.zetaboards.com/Mega_Storm/index/
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:22:36 AM »
A decently large part of my life was spent playing the first Halo, so I suppose that.

April 23, 2015, 04:26:22 AM
Reply #4

Offline Tfp BreakDown

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 13, 2012, 10:48:09 PM

• View Profile
    • http://askmagnetman.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:26:22 AM »
For me:

1: Marathon (Bungie): Basically the Mac equivalent of Doom, except minus demons and hell-themed levels and more aliens and space/tech levels. It does have rather unique things to it that are rather interesting (the weapons, the oxygen meter, the story, theme, and the music.) Also the Security Officer (or mark iv cyborg, church, or whatever you want to call him) is one of my favorite video game protags. Also I really need to beat the first game and get the other aleph ports of 2: Durandal and Infinity. I will say if it weren't for Red vs Blue and Samsara, I would've never heard of this gem.

2: Bionicle Heroes (DS version): Probably one of the first FPS games I've played in my past (Doom and Halo were the others.) Definitely different from the console and gba versions. I loved (and still do) Bionicle, and seeing the game play of it from GameSpot just made me want it. I still remember that Christmas night when I opened it and played it. Next to ZX and Pokémon Black, this game was the one I would replay constantly. Great looking levels, nice music, interesting layouts, and fun weapons were definitely the highlights of the game. I just wish the shoulder buttons on my 3ds weren't busted, otherwise I would play it still. I also hope to one day recreate the weapons in the game for 8bdm (Especially Matoro's and Kongu's weapons). Also I wouldn't mind seeing the whole game recreated in another engine.

3: CyClones (Dos)  (Raven software): A rather obscure doom clone for dos. Definitely has some interesting things about it. I can't say much on the account I have made zero progress in it, but seeing the latter parts of the game from a playthrought definitely make it look tough but still fun.

4: Metroid Prime (Nintendo): I can see why many enjoy this title. Great music. Amazing atmosphere. Interesting gameplay. You might remember me posting something negative about it awhile ago, well, I was stupid for kinda posting it (as it was coming off from negativity from me getting beaten by the Omega Pirate) as well as me being sucky at the game. One day I hope to beat it (and hopefully not on the mini GameCube screen)

Honorable mentions go to:
Wolfenstein 3d: being the granddaddy of FPS games
Doom 1/2: not much to say here other than it's amazing on how well it holds up today
Halo: mainly for memories with my bro and for Red vs blue.

April 23, 2015, 06:30:33 PM
Reply #5

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »
Depends... are you counting fps rpgs or just quest/arena shooters?  Because I play the former WAY more.

April 28, 2015, 12:35:48 AM
Reply #6

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
All the FPS! ^^

April 28, 2015, 04:10:04 AM
Reply #7

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:10:04 AM »
Quote from: "Laggy Blazko"
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but it's not actually "modern" anymore, so...

it shall be forever modern in my heart
i actually don't play many FPSes at all so I don't really have any favorites except for MOHAA which is perfection

April 28, 2015, 07:44:39 AM
Reply #8

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:44:39 AM »
I haven't played a large number of FPS games, actually. I have tried each of the internal wad games ZDoom and Zandronum run, though. Out of that batch, Strife is definitely my favorite.

Other games I've tried and I guess somewhat liked were Quake, [Quake Live olo,] Marathon, Portal, [Portal 2,] Team Fortress 2 [this one kinda got dull for me,] And E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy seems like a neat game that I really should finish.

April 28, 2015, 03:30:43 PM
Reply #9

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »
Lemme pick a top three!

Doom: Do I really need to say?

Blood: Hard as nails, but has a lot of charm to it that other FPS's haven't replicated. The world around you is dark and dreadful, but that doesn't stop Caleb, the protagonist of this game, from exacting his sadistic revenge. Rather than a silent hero or buff badass, you take the role of a wise-cracking, sinister cowboy from the very grave he was thrown in. Top it all off with explosive weapons, a tasteful bit of movie references, and black comedy. I highly recommend this game to any fan of the 90's FPS genre.

Quake 2: Metal as fuck. Right at the start of the game, you're thrown into a fast-paced gunslinging treat. Keeping with its predecessor, the speed and pace of the game is top-notch, but also adds a hub-world of sorts with various puzzles unlocking new areas. It's this form of progression that keeps the player hooked and eager to see what's behind that next door. Aside from the weapons and beastiary, one of my favorite aspects to Q2 is the soundtrack. I mean, just listen to this.[/list]

April 28, 2015, 05:43:07 PM
    Reply #10

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
    • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
      • My Famitracker Covers
    « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
    Probably just Doom and Metroid Prime.

April 30, 2015, 06:57:29 PM
    Reply #11

Offline Endymion

• Standard Member

• Master Magician
    • Date Registered: February 26, 2015, 03:18:18 PM

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
    There are only one FPS I really like, the Unreal Tournament 2004. But if you ask me, the MM8BDM with the Justified Classes is far better than the UT2004. All of the characters are completely different, while in other FPS the characters just different skins. :P

April 30, 2015, 11:22:06 PM
    Reply #12

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »
    The biggest thing is: even in vanilla, megaman 8 bit deathmatch has a lot more various maps (fire, ground, lava, wood or water maps), and a tons of differents weapons or items who are useful (Rushjet  *w* )
    A lot of weapons are like a lot of others, but at least, there is always something who make them different from an other (Ice Slasher/Needlecanon). :)
    But yeah, the topic is made for the others fps....Actually, the fps are not made only for multiplayer, Endymion, do you have a solo fps You like ? by exemple. (like Doom, Wolfenstein TNO...idk)
    but yeah there is mmsp too

May 04, 2015, 01:08:51 PM
    Reply #13

Offline Endymion

• Standard Member

• Master Magician
    • Date Registered: February 26, 2015, 03:18:18 PM

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
    Not really. I like the Duke 3D, but that isn't much difference compared to other FPS. However there are one... I really like the Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy's singleplayer.

Actually I not really like the whole FPS concept. I like more the old-style beat 'em ups on the 16 bit consoles. Those was fun to play, and requires only a hour to goes through a game. :)

===EDIT===

It is not actually a singleplayer story drived game but a multiplayer-imitator arena shooter (like the MM8BDM), one of the most famous game in the genre. Yes, it is the Unreal Tournament. The Unreal Tournament 2004 isn't that popular like the classic UT, but I prefer over that.

March 03, 2016, 04:41:24 AM
    Reply #14

Offline benblack

• Standard Member
    • Date Registered: March 02, 2016, 09:18:50 AM

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »
    My favorite FPS games are Doom and Halo. Doom is almost irreplaceable. It is by far the best I witnessed. I would also like to say that rainbow six siege has quite impressed me. I recently acheter rainbow six siege and I found it quite intriguing and a good FPS game indeed.