Advanced Search

Author Topic: Dimpsy's World Maps (Good News!)  (Read 21332 times)

May 09, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
Read 21332 times

Offline Dimpsy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: January 15, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

• View Profile
Dimpsy's World Maps (Good News!)
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
Hello! It's me again, the one who makes skins. I recently learned how to make maps too so I may as well start making some, don't expect a whole lot. Tried to get help but nobody would seem to provide anything at all.

===Gigapolis Zone===
My first map, this one is from Sonic Chaos. Sonic Chaos is a Sega Game Gear/Master System game that stars Sonic and Tails, as it was called Sonic & Tails in Japan. The only difference between the two versions of the game (Game Gear and Master System) is that some songs were changed, which is kinda strange and questioning. This map is an almost replica of the original Gigapolis Zone, brought to life into a 3D world. Sadly the tunnels that were in the stage do not work, and I couldn't get permissions to add Monitors and Springs. I don't even know how to add Springs to begin with, the prop, sure, but not the entire command it should be giving.

Screenshots :
(click to show/hide)

Download - http://www.mediafire.com/?qf1h26995c04rpn

===Monstropolis Apt.===
What ya get when you put BBB&B and SRB2's "House" wad in a blender. Basically a Hotel/Apartment map where Cutstuff users can have rooms to stay in. This map was mostly made for roleplaying and for just hanging out.

Screenshots :
I posted several screenshots of the map in the last page for you to look at, but I will be posting updated screenshots here very soon...

Download - https://www.mediafire.com/?e550i88vri28r39

Credits:
- TailsMK4 (Ring Ring prop, building of his own room, and help)

My Skin Page : viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5389
My Mod Page : viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6266
My Sprites Page : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9618

May 09, 2013, 06:38:10 PM
Reply #1

Offline Colonel ServBot

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 30, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

• View Profile
Re: VirtrualSonic's World Maps (GIGAPOLIS ZONE)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
Hmmm, not bad from what I'm seeing in these screen shots.
It's actually rather great considering its your first map. But some of this looks weird. Like the blue, laser looking things and the orange things.
But it's good.

May 09, 2013, 06:40:48 PM
Reply #2

Offline Dimpsy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »
Quote from: "Colonel ServBot"
Hmmm, not bad from what I'm seeing in these screen shots.
It's actually rather great considering its your first map. But some of this looks weird. Like the blue, laser looking things and the orange things.
But it's good.
Every single texture, apart from the tops of the textures are taken STRAIGHT from the game, even the blue and orange things. But thanks.

May 09, 2013, 06:43:08 PM
Reply #3

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
I don't really like what I see in the screenshots. I see a load of (very powerful) weapons scattered around in flat, easy to reach areas.

I can't tell a whole lot about the layout from the screenshots, but it looks a little maze-like. The textures look a little odd as well. I think they're pushing the color limit a bit.

Oh yeah, and the map is missing a proper skybox.

May 09, 2013, 07:00:42 PM
Reply #4

Offline Dimpsy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
Quote from: "Kapus"
I don't really like what I see in the screenshots. I see a load of (very powerful) weapons scattered around in flat, easy to reach areas.

I can't tell a whole lot about the layout from the screenshots, but it looks a little maze-like. The textures look a little odd as well. I think they're pushing the color limit a bit.

I did write "first map" for a reason, thanks anyways.

May 09, 2013, 07:02:10 PM
Reply #5

Offline Rena-kun

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 02, 2011, 12:34:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://overlordofcute.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »
Quote from: "VirtualSonic43"

What part of FIRST map do you not get?
well he knows that, he's just telling you so you can improve on the map and also improve as a map-maker. if i made the first of something i'd want people to be critical so i can improve my skills.

May 09, 2013, 07:07:21 PM
Reply #6

Offline Dimpsy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
Quote from: "Rena-kun"
Quote from: "VirtualSonic43"

I did write "first map" for a reason, thanks anyways.
well he knows that, he's just telling you so you can improve on the map and also improve as a map-maker. if i made the first of something i'd want people to be critical so i can improve my skills.
I needed help a month ago and I got nothing, what did ya expect out of that silly?

May 09, 2013, 07:18:32 PM
Reply #7

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
Well, you're going to get some now, so try not to be dismissive.

I'll boot this map up later and check it out so I can give more feedback.

May 09, 2013, 07:34:09 PM
Reply #8

Knux

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
Quote from: "VirtualSonic"
I did write "first map" for a reason
What reason would that be? You really shouldn't hide behind the fact that it's your first map to justify having mishaps. Trust me, you'll only be shooting yourself in the foot. If you want the map to have a good chance at being hosted and/or get better at mapping, I strongly advise that you get ready to take some criticism.

Of course though, there's nothing wrong either if you're just doing it for fun or to get the hang of map making. Either way, listen to what others say about it. It does help in the long run.

May 09, 2013, 07:49:54 PM
Reply #9

Offline Dimpsy

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »
Quote from: "Knux"
Quote from: "VirtualSonic"
I did write "first map" for a reason
What reason would that be? You really shouldn't hide behind the fact that it's your first map to justify having mishaps. Trust me, you'll only be shooting yourself in the foot. If you want the map to have a good chance at being hosted and/or get better at mapping, I strongly advise that you get ready to take some criticism.

Of course though, there's nothing wrong either if you're just doing it for fun or to get the hang of map making. Either way, listen to what others say about it. It does help in the long run.
It was mainly just a first true map that I can showcase what I "can" do in a map. That means no ladders, spikes, water, and teleporters. Just a basic map I made, but I will expand upon it later.

May 09, 2013, 08:05:07 PM
Reply #10

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
For future note, if the music is part of the actual map (Not optional/duck music/20 other songs) then it's fine to include it in the map. Just don't clutter it with un-needed songs.

May 09, 2013, 08:35:41 PM
Reply #11

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Or was it MM10BLA?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
Mr. X's first map was MM6YAM.

You don't have an excuse.

May 09, 2013, 11:25:24 PM
Reply #12

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 08, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

• View Profile
It was MM10BLA. I helped test it.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »
Please note (like everyone else says) that using "first map" as a shield for criticism is a fantastic way to make yourself look like an epic moron in the eyes of the entire community, with ridicule sure to follow. If you want to suck less, look at other people's maps. See how they work and flow. Look at Doom mapping tutorials, too - the same principles apply for basic room design.

May 10, 2013, 05:18:57 PM
Reply #13

Knux

Re: Or was it MM10BLA?
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
Quote from: "Korby"
Mr. X's first map was MM6YAM.

You don't have an excuse.
Because everyone totally starts off well, right? Except it was terrible fighting there, until Mr. X did the adequate changes to it, making it dozens of times better.

VS, I'll take a look at this map later and give you some tips. Since you said you're just seeing what you can do, I'll go easy on it and hopefully, you can learn something that'll help you later.

EDIT: Alright, I've looked at it. I see that you have mastered making slopes. You know, since you've just started making maps, this one's good for making tests and learning other things. For example, the walls have a sky texture. If you instead want a pit around the stage with a real sky, do the following:

- Make a sector surrounding the stage, then lower it and give that floor a BLACK texture.
- Make a square sector outside the map (256x256) and give it 255 brightness. This is your Skybox. Place those sky textures in the walls, ceiling and a BLACK texture on the floor of this sector.
- In this same sector, place a Skybox Viewpoint, located in Cameras and Interpolation, and give it a ZHeight of 8. Also make sure it's in the center of the Skybox.
- In the sector you made around the map, select the walls and give them all Action 9 (Line Horizon). Finally, take all of the ceilings in the map (except the Skybox's) and give them the texture F_SKY1.
- Test your map (F9).

For a pit that kills players, go see a tutorial. It's all in there.

Now then, you want to concentrate on the layout before even adding a health capsule. Try to add interesting stuff to those empty places, so that the map doesn't feel too plain. Also, when making any place, try to have more than one way into it. This is essential because DM maps are fast paced, meaning that players need routes to sneak up around opponents. Avoid dead ends for now, although I saw none.

Here's a very nice tutorial for beginners:

http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2512

Still have questions? Feel free to ask.

May 15, 2013, 05:18:27 PM
Reply #14

Offline Dataman

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 16, 2013, 11:34:28 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Welp, Time to get working on Dataman's stage tileset. *opens paint and starts spriting*