Advanced Search

Author Topic: I think we need a sweep  (Read 9197 times)

January 29, 2013, 10:08:28 PM
Read 9197 times

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
I think we need a sweep
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
Okay, seems that lately necrombumpers have become too active. So, it's about time we either lock and archive old threads or severely punish necroposters, but of course openning exceptions in case of projects if the necroposter is directly involved with the project. So, what is your say in this, people?

January 29, 2013, 11:15:15 PM
Reply #1

Offline Colonel ServBot

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 30, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

• View Profile
Re: I think we need a sweep
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
i say we delete the last five pages of each of the forums.

January 29, 2013, 11:20:57 PM
Reply #2

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
Quote from: "colonel servbot"
i say we delete the last five pages of each of the forums.
Oh please no. I don't want entire threads with potential historical significance to be lost forever. :(

January 29, 2013, 11:24:36 PM
Reply #3

Offline Colonel ServBot

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 30, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:36 PM »
Either that or archive them

January 30, 2013, 02:53:24 AM
Reply #4

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:24 AM »
A sweep of old topics isn't as necessary as a sweep of unused accounts because loss of information is no good.

"archiving" wouldn't really fix anything either.

January 30, 2013, 03:40:22 AM
Reply #5

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 03:40:22 AM »
Archiving would be either locking and moving or just moving to a place where people can read but can't post. Not sure if it is possible to do the later, and I'm not sure if it is possible to bulk move that all.

January 30, 2013, 04:04:21 AM
Reply #6

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:04:21 AM »
A subforum section were members don't have the proper permissions to post but do to see. Cause I know that is possible.

January 30, 2013, 03:38:03 PM
Reply #7

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »
I've checked around a bit before, not everywhere, but where i did look that actually had some traffic, i had reasonable amount of trouble finding any necrobumped and locked topic on the front page. So its hard to say but it looks like everything is just fine regarding that.

If it does turn out to be an issue, i dont know if the forum software can support such, but perhaps an autolock after 1-3 months of no reply? Perhaps even an auto-removal of topics 4-6 months old once they're auto-locked? (Obviously doesnt apply to stickies or anything of similar importance, untill they get unstickied.)
Or other time settings depending on the appropiate amount of traffic and how easily things get clogged up.

An archive might be a little messy, and in some people's eyes a tad redundant and useless to have around. If its that important for people they should be making a personal copy of it anyway, instead of requesting an archive for stuff not everyone may find usefull to store.
And if the above idea has no good software for it, perhaps the moderators could always do atleast still remove the very, very old topics every now and then.

February 08, 2013, 03:08:18 AM
Reply #8

Offline T's Inventions

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 08, 2011, 03:01:18 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:08:18 AM »
Quote from: "Beed28"
Oh please no. I don't want entire threads with potential historical significance to be lost forever. :(

I agree.

However, what we might be able to do is delete most of the more useless topics (that alot of the times the newcomers would make) to free up quite a bit of space.
Though most of the times the mods lock those topics, I don't think activating any kind of auto-topic-removal/locking system would be such a good idea.
But I do think manually deleting the most useless old topics would be a good idea.

February 08, 2013, 04:49:49 AM
Reply #9

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:49:49 AM »
I swore I read this as "I think we need a swamp" so I voted yes.

But anyway, I have 3-5 "noob" topics that I made that I would like deleted. That'll clear up some space :I

February 12, 2013, 06:41:02 AM
Reply #10

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
I feel like imping Unix and necroposting, just to go against
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:41:02 AM »
I don't know who started this, but the OP's attitude in general is starting to irritate me, as I find it inherently flawed.

Necroposts are not bad.

Bad posts are bad. Bad posts, as in, irrelevant, off-topic, or unnecessary are bad. If a person revives an old topic to make a bad post, it might "magnify" that post since now everyone forces themselves to look at it (in order to justify that attitude). So you punish that person accordingly: For posting useless shit. You don't go and restrict everyone's ability to bring up old threads if needed. (Unless you're an authoritarian dictator. "Punish all for the actions of one" is a great method of repression.) Try something progressive instead: Suggest that mods lock topics if the OP's conditions have been met. (For example, if the OP asks how to do something and is answered, the thread is locked.) This would cause future topics to be free of unnecessary necroposts!

I'm really more annoyed of the surge of people whining about impersonators and VKers. It's kind of redundant.

February 12, 2013, 09:03:35 PM
Reply #11

Offline Omnizoa

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 11, 2010, 10:12:14 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Quote from: "Korby"
A sweep of old topics isn't as necessary as a sweep of unused accounts because loss of information is no good.

"archiving" wouldn't really fix anything either.

But then how would I be able to log on a post every once in a blue moon if accounts got sweeped...? U_U

February 12, 2013, 10:12:46 PM
Reply #12

Offline HD_

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 13, 2011, 01:44:40 AM

• View Profile
Re: I feel like imping Unix and necroposting, just to go aga
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
Quote from: "Tesseractal"
I'm really more annoyed of the surge of people whining about impersonators and VKers. It's kind of redundant.

What does this even have to do with necroposting?

Considering impersonation is a legitimately bannable offense on the master server, why shouldn't people make an attempt to gather information and get them rightfully banned?

Why should votekick abuse be tolerated?

(I do agree with most of your necroposting view though; it isn't actually bad on its own)

February 12, 2013, 10:14:36 PM
Reply #13

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
I do agree with the fact that making threads about being kicked from a server is unnecessary (With the exception of some things such as that whole "No Kill" thing), but impersonators in the case of people like Unix is completely legitimate. Also like HD said, it has nothing to do with necrobumping.

You also said

Necroposts are not bad.

Yes, necroposts are not bad in your opinion. And your opinion is not always the right one. I'm sure most of the people here would beg to differ with your logic to some extent. I'm not saying my opinion is right either, but at least take that into consideration before "Large font you're wrong and I'm right" usage.

February 12, 2013, 11:14:22 PM
Reply #14

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: I feel like imping Unix and necroposting, just to go aga
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »
I don't know who started this, but the OP's attitude in general is starting to irritate me, as I find it inherently flawed.

Necroposts are not bad.

Bad posts are bad. Bad posts, as in, irrelevant, off-topic, or unnecessary are bad. If a person revives an old topic to make a bad post, it might "magnify" that post since now everyone forces themselves to look at it (in order to justify that attitude). So you punish that person accordingly: For posting useless shit. You don't go and restrict everyone's ability to bring up old threads if needed. (Unless you're an authoritarian dictator. "Punish all for the actions of one" is a great method of repression.) Try something progressive instead: Suggest that mods lock topics if the OP's conditions have been met. (For example, if the OP asks how to do something and is answered, the thread is locked.) This would cause future topics to be free of unnecessary necroposts!

Necroposts ARE bad
Usually, it is someone who didn't bother reading the last post date and just thought "Maybe I should bump it up!", and there! Bumped a thread whose OP either does not want to update or the OP isn't even here anymore! And this is a terrible thing. Not only brings up OLD topics, but most of the case are USELESS or ABANDONED topics.

Of course, I am AGAINST the removal of threads, but lockdown to PREVENT necroposting or SEVERE PUNISHMENT for necroposters would be more effective in "special cases".

However, of course, the OP reserves the right to bump his old thread, as well as trusty people of his (let's say: Yellow Devil and DarkAura are working on a map, but Yellow Devil started the thread. Considering the two are working together, DarkAura can STILL bump it into Yellow Devil's place).