Advanced Search

Author Topic: [NEW] Sprite submission guidelines  (Read 5618 times)

May 04, 2017, 10:14:04 AM
Read 5618 times

Online CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
[NEW] Sprite submission guidelines
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »
Looking to submit some improved/additional sprites to MM8BDM? That's great! HOWEVER due to the huge amount of submissions for minor sprite tweaks, it's important that you submit your new sprites correctly.

PNG files for sprite sheets!

A simple one but jpgs, gifs or any other compressed format is not suitable for raw sprites. Use PNGs!

Use the correct colors

I can't stress this enough as many sprites submitted have incorrect palettes or introduce new blacks and whites into the sprite. This is mostly important for skins or sprites that are cyan/blue, which usually means they will use translations in game to change their colors. Here is an image containing the correct colors for reference:

You can use graphic program's fill tool to check if you are using the correct colors!

Show a comparison

If you are submitting updated sprites, always include a comparison image (zoomed in if possible) to show what is different. This helps the development team decide if they should be included. Here is an example:

Submit a WAD or PK3 file!

Again if you are submitting updated sprites, try adding them to the game first! I know most of you are capable of doing this yourselves and it saves me a lot of time. Use SLADE to create an empty pk3 or wad file containing the new sprites. The sprite names/offsets aren't too important if you don't know what they should be. Here is a tool to help you split your sprite sheets into individual files, which can help speed things up a bit.

Please follow the guidelines above or your sprites will not be submitted for the core game!

May 30, 2017, 08:57:15 PM
Reply #1

Offline AisMadeBY

• Standard Member

• YOU ARE EXPECTING A MM8BDM USER! BUT NO! IS AIS!
  • Date Registered: May 16, 2017, 02:54:40 PM

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt!
Re: [NEW] Sprite submission guidelines
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
I make Chillman's sprites from 0.. then i want to post them here xD (I'm working on Sunstar and Saturn, so maybe ill publish them soon as possible) Everyone, what you think about it? :)

May 31, 2017, 01:12:51 AM
Reply #2

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »
You weren't supposed to post them here. You should've made a new topic with the sheet.

Besides, I'm already working on a skin of Chill myself at the moment.

May 31, 2017, 01:20:57 PM
Reply #3

Offline JuliusCesors

• Standard Member

• FreezeMan isn't all that menacing
  • Date Registered: April 27, 2017, 03:56:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
im looking to do solar man sprite sheet if no one doing it or if I can find a appropriate program, any suggestions

May 31, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
Reply #4

Offline JohnVyttalRay

• Standard Member

• The flames of justice are eternal
  • Date Registered: September 12, 2016, 08:03:55 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
As far as I remember, there are people doing all the RMs except Pump Man, I didn't see or hear about someone doing a pump man skin.

May 31, 2017, 05:29:05 PM
Reply #5

Offline JuliusCesors

• Standard Member

• FreezeMan isn't all that menacing
  • Date Registered: April 27, 2017, 03:56:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »
well the main problem is i have lack of depth perception so trying to make the sprites in different angles is an extremely hard job