Advanced Search

Author Topic: Original DOS Completion Project - Off Hiatus  (Read 25631 times)

March 17, 2016, 03:27:34 AM
Read 25631 times

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
Original DOS Completion Project - Off Hiatus
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:27:34 AM »
Finally getting around to making this topic, while Dood and team work on the new DOS Reborn "The Robots Are Revolting!" expansion featuring all new material based off SnakePixel's work (please support its progress and eventual release), this project will be continuing the work we had done and will be based off the source material.

-=Welcome to the Original DOS Completion Project, or OPCCP as I've dubbed it. Sorry, not fancy artwork to go here.=-
This thread will be slow due to the bulk of the work left is all map making.
-Discord channel for this project for those who wish to assist in any way or follow the production closer.

I'm also trying a new concept for this project, as I originally planned to finish this myself which will be putting a lot of work on myself, though I plan to work on each map 1 by 1 and only moving on after each has been finished. The concept I am bringing up is a "Volunteer Co-Mappers".
"The hell you mean "Volunteer Co-Mappers?"," simple, the idea is, in the near future I will be putting down a list of the maps, in the order I will be working on them, if anyone is interested they may request to work on a map WITH me, similar to mapping projects held before. This extends to people who might wish to simply do a little bit of work and submit a room for a map to help the process of the map making along. This is entirely an individual desire too, I won't be pestering about this either and will be working on the maps solo if no one volunteers.
The idea is 2 fold as well: A) Newer/inspiring mappers can work along side a slightly more experienced mapper to learn some tips and such. B) Lightening work load for both myself and anyone working on a map with me.

-=Special Thanks for work atm=-
Weapons = All completed courtesy of Badz (Some coding touch ups needed though)
Original projects = Blaze and Dood for heading the prior two attempts of the project, this wouldn't have gotten THIS far without it.
Blade Man = Knux for the room he provided that will be used in the final version of the map.
Dyna Man and DOS Wily = Ivory for running the FTM mapping competitions they were made in and the 3 map sections used in them for each.
Skins = Everyone who worked on the original skins, Dood (Shark, Bit, Oil, Blade), Nitrobro (Dyna, Torch), FTX (Volt's running frame), Super Bondman 64 (Sonic), Blaze (Half of Wave), myself (Volt and the other half of Wave), and Korby (Volt's side frame).
Music = Kacklebango made a wonderful soundtrack for this project, and I even managed to get the Boss music he had made (not sure if it is the same DOS Reborn will be using)
Tiles = Nemz made tilesets for every map, and I thank him (part of the reason I wanna finish this is so they don't go to waste)
Botchats = Mr_Broker or course

-=What is left=-
Finish touching up weapon balancing and coding.
Maps: list below
Skins: see below
Sprites: see below

-=Map Status=-
In hopeful appearance order = Green is complete, Blue means there is a starting point, Purple will mean being worked on, and Red means nothing is done for map.
Sonic = Will be redone from scratch, middle room concept will remain, rest of map done over.
Volt = No work
Dyna = Completed by myself for FTM1.
Bit = Completed by myself, but Dan Hibiki is also making an alternative version.
Shark = Completed by myself with all new design.
Wave = No work
Oil = Entire map will be scrapped and work will be done from the start
Blade = Map will be remade from Knux's starting point
Torch = Map will be remade from scratch, central room will be carried over and redone.
Wily = Completed by myself for FTM2

-=Skins=-
While all the skins are complete I have decided to use new base sprites which I hope to have skins for in the future if there are any willing to assist in making them.
The bases are here
(click to show/hide)

-=Other Sprites=-
For actors we are going to be using some of the enemies designed for a DOS Remake which is why this project went into hiatus, I don't want all of the work to go to waste for now so there are some new enemies featured, some unused concepts from older games and some of the original enemies as well.
These ones are already 8-bit, but rotations are needed (not all frames need rotations, and the Telly doesn't need rotations)
(click to show/hide)
These 2 need to be converted to 8-bit and need rotations (Watchdog doesn't need to be walking)
(click to show/hide)

Proof of concept/Screenshots
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

March 17, 2016, 07:33:31 AM
Reply #1

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
Re: Original DOS Completion Project
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
Glad to see you're working on this again.  What did you change with Torch though?  I'm not seeing anything.

I still hate the way some of those tiles look in wily's fortress though, clearly not 8bit.  Can't say I'm happy with how those columns turned out either though, and that's on me.

March 17, 2016, 08:03:33 AM
Reply #2

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
Glad to see you're working on this again.
First, thank you, this is a project I want completed personally, too much work was put into it to simply scrap it completely I think. I'm also very happy about the DOS Reborn expansion as well, since it solves most of the problems this one had.

What did you change with Torch though?  I'm not seeing anything.
Yea, when I say changed the textures I mean the in game ones, not the patches (the textures you made), the usable textures as they appear in game/DB is what I changed.

I still hate the way some of those tiles look in wily's fortress though, clearly not 8bit.  Can't say I'm happy with how those columns turned out either though, and that's on me.
Actually, the pillars in the screenshots is me, I made this new texture to use for the pillars due to the old ones not matching up to the top parts as much.

March 17, 2016, 08:51:05 AM
Reply #3

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »
Not sure what you're talking about exactly but here, these should work better.

If you need anything tweaked to work in a map just shoot me a PM.  I'm usually quite happy to help fixing any bugs or oversights.

March 17, 2016, 09:12:50 PM
Reply #4

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:50 PM »
Thanks Nemz, I'll replace them when I get around to it, though I'll be making the adjustments to the textures I had added to match these ones (such as the flashing floors) I could probably use another interior wall texture if anything, doesn't help that a good 60% of the stage had a black background.

March 18, 2016, 01:20:24 AM
Reply #5

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 01:20:24 AM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
flashing floors

???

March 18, 2016, 02:53:08 AM
Reply #6

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:53:08 AM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
flashing floors

???
The 3D floors seen as the stairway, the lights on the sides are animated, as they were in the source stage.

March 18, 2016, 03:58:53 AM
Reply #7

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:58:53 AM »
They are?  Huh.  I guess I need to watch that again rather than just looking at vg atlas.

March 18, 2016, 04:14:53 AM
Reply #8

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 04:14:53 AM »
There IS 2 versions, the one you made resembles the floors later in the stage, while the one I did for the 2D floors resembles the ones earlier in the stage.

March 18, 2016, 06:00:47 AM
Reply #9

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 06:00:47 AM »
Okay, look again and refresh your cache if necessary.  flashing lights for everyone forever.

"You got: Epilepsy!
Get your weapons ready!"

March 18, 2016, 06:13:41 AM
Reply #10

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 06:13:41 AM »
Okay, look again and refresh your cache if necessary.  flashing lights for everyone forever.

"You got: Epilepsy!
Get your weapons ready!"
I see nothing different, I even looked on a different computer.

March 18, 2016, 06:31:33 AM
Reply #11

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 06:31:33 AM »
You don't see all the animation tiles on the left?  Here, let me try again.  Not sure what the deal is there, works for me.

March 18, 2016, 07:23:18 AM
Reply #12

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 07:23:18 AM »
Still no, I really can't see anything different from when you first posted the picture, I even saved it to compare.

March 18, 2016, 07:42:41 AM
Reply #13

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »
huh.  very peculiar.

March 18, 2016, 11:39:40 AM
Reply #14

Knux

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
If you mean the flashing light tiles to the left of the sheet, I see those. They're the ones that resemble Spark Man tiles.