Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] MMIIGB themes for Robot Masters  (Read 4269 times)

August 16, 2017, 04:07:52 PM
Read 4269 times

Offline Ivan1997

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 16, 2017, 03:48:57 PM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] MMIIGB themes for Robot Masters
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »
I have a little music suggestion for Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch.

I know that Tengu Man has 2 alternate music themes when you select his stage, it'll either play his theme from the PSX version (TENMUS) or the Sega Saturn version (TENMUS2). So, in later versions of MM8BDM, I suggest that you'll try to incorporate Robot Master stage themes from Mega Man II/Rockman World 2 for the Game Boy. The music for the Robot Master stages in Mega Man II/Rockman World 2 is very different from their NES counterparts, and IMO, sounds pretty awesome, the only flaw is that it gets high pitched sometimes. Why not try and make the tunes NES styled (and less high pitched than on the Game Boy), and incorporate the music into the stages of the respective robot masters (like METMUS2, TOPMUS2, etc.), so that when you enter the stage, it'll either play the NES stage theme or the Game Boy stage theme, similarly to Tengu Man's stage in Mega Man 8? I think it would be pretty cool.

August 19, 2017, 04:51:05 PM
Reply #1

Offline NES Boy

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 19, 2014, 04:59:05 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] MMIIGB themes for Robot Masters
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
Here's a pitch-corrected version of the MMII soundtrack:

And to add to this, I think the same could be done for the themes of Cut Man, Ice Man, Fire Man, and Elec Man. Like in the third and fourth Game Boy games, their themes were based on their original NES themes. However, while the third and fourth Game Boy games used direct translations, the first game used different arrangements.

August 20, 2017, 09:43:41 AM
Reply #2

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »
I think I saw this suggestion before, and I think it was rejected. Can't find it, though. Regardless, I think it's a great idea.

August 22, 2017, 04:12:49 AM
Reply #3

Offline Ivan1997

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 16, 2017, 03:48:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:12:49 AM »
And to add to this, I think the same could be done for the themes of Cut Man, Ice Man, Fire Man, and Elec Man. Like in the third and fourth Game Boy games, their themes were based on their original NES themes. However, while the third and fourth Game Boy games used direct translations, the first game used different arrangements.

I agree. Also, I've found another video with a "fixed" soundtrack for MMIIGB/Rockman World 2 that is closer to other Mega Man Game Boy titles.

August 22, 2017, 05:09:39 PM
Reply #4

Offline Promestein

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 27, 2013, 04:02:37 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
RushJet1 made this a good while back. Anyways, as much as I personally enjoy the idea of having MMII music in MM8BDM as well, I know a lot of people would hate the idea. The best possible implementation in my humble opinion would be to have them in an 8-bit style, not just pitch corrected tracks, and reduce the chance of them playing from 1/2 as with Tengu Man to anywhere from 1/4 to 1/8.

September 09, 2017, 12:58:09 PM
Reply #5

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
The same reason why we don't use Wily Wars/Powered Up textures in the NES levels is applied here. More people have attachment to the original NES games rather than the spinoffs and don't want to alienate them with alternative content that they've possibly never heard or seen before. Tenguman's song is acceptable since the alternative song was from each port of the game which came out roughly around the same time.