Advanced Search

Author Topic: Roll's Spring Cleaning! (r1d, for v4c)  (Read 36705 times)

April 21, 2015, 03:38:00 AM
Reply #15

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Re: MegaMan 8-Bit Prop Hunt (release 1, for v4c)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 03:38:00 AM »
Quote from: "JTE"
I'm actually one of the primary programmers of SRB2

I knew I recognized that name. So it IS you after all!

April 21, 2015, 05:59:40 PM
Reply #16

Offline JTE

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 20, 2015, 11:33:22 AM

• View Profile
    • http://srb2.org
Re: Roll's Spring Cleaning! (r1a, for v4c)
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »
Alright. I stayed up all night refactoring code, fixing bugs, rebranding, adding a new map to the rotation, adding a proper client-side HUD display, adding a ludicrous amount of new spawn points for junk (hundreds of spawn points individually numbered... there has to be a better way.), adding Rush and Beat support to Roll, and adding boss music and victory music for the last minute / enemy.  Now we can play in Clown Man's vibrant purple castle, and I've eaten nothing but jellybeans for the last 12 hours.

And I still haven't added the bucket yet, this was just polishing off what I already had. ;(

April 21, 2015, 11:47:10 PM
Reply #17

Offline kuja killer

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 24, 2011, 10:56:18 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:10 PM »
Tried this out for a little bit (online server) - was alot of fun, i really enjoyed it. :) i almost won a round earlier with about 20 seconds left on timer. :P closest i've gotten.

I like this game mode. :)

April 22, 2015, 12:30:42 AM
Reply #18

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:42 AM »
Played it
It's fun, nice polish.
Some notes:

- If you're Beat on Light's Lab, due to not being able to fly, is nearly instant death. Other classes that are close to low tier (grass for instance) have at least a fighting chance somewhat. Beat does not.

- The tire prop clips into the ground. Fix that please or this prop will continue to be in negative tier.

- The timer doesn't work properly on Clownman. When it reaches 0, the cleaners don't lose. (Fix)

- Clownman provides health when you stand on circles, providing a more one-sided advantage to the cleaners. One could argue that this burns time, but that isn't a particularly good one.

- I heard something about models breaking/someone appeared invisible. Iunno, check this.

- Some map suggestions and unique props for them: (Questionable ones have a question mark)
Knightman: Candles and Knights
Magicman: Pretty much Clownman (propwise) without the healing from Clownman
Gutsman?: Miners return with more fun
Napalmman: Tigers make their appearance
Groundman: Worms
Turboman: Turbo Roaders hyyyyyyyyyyyyype
Shademan: Crows and more Knights(?)
Junkman: Provided you add in more junk type props (suggested earlier iirc), this map would be the perfect home for them
Tomahawkman: Cactuses (iirc) (Cactus Prop in general)

Super Ninja PS:
Consider adding Roll as a prop

I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
TAUNTS
THE PROPS NEED TAUNTS
RUNNING IN THE 90'S
MEMES
YOU KNOW, THOSE

Many thanks

I HAVE MORE:
Regarding the time ending glitch thing (or just in general):
When the round ends, give any remaining junk players a ranged weapon that ohkos the cleaners (or whatever damage value that's reasonable)

April 22, 2015, 01:56:31 AM
Reply #19

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:31 AM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
TAUNTS
MEMES

Please for the love of god, do not pander the lowest common denominator and add unnecessary memes/taunts. We have other mods to do that for us.

April 22, 2015, 03:36:41 AM
Reply #20

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
MEME8BDMEME
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 03:36:41 AM »
Quote from: "Bikdark"
TAUNTS
MEMES

Please for the love of god, do not pander the lowest common denominator and add unnecessary memes/taunts. We have other mods to do that for us.

At most there can be a taunt using one of many sounds that MM8BDM already has, and not some meme. Still, I doubt players wouldn't spam it if it were added.

Please, no taunts for the hide and seek gamemode.

April 22, 2015, 04:02:04 AM
Reply #21

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 04:02:04 AM »
Yeah, taunting while hiding is genius! Let's take it up a notch: turn everyone into a huge target... Yeah...

Terrible idea. Taunts wouldn't mix with this game. Unless it was for seekers only. Or, if added for the hiding players, it must be a low chuckle or giggle (Random?).

But a slightly more useful idea: have a Server Variable for choosing whether or not the props will be picked at random for players or if they are given a choice. The choice could be through weapon switching and Fire would activate it. But once you make your choice, there's no going back.

April 22, 2015, 04:12:36 AM
Reply #22

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 04:12:36 AM »
NO TAUNTS

NO MEMES

NO

DON'T RUIN IT

April 22, 2015, 04:14:35 AM
Reply #23

Knux

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 04:14:35 AM »
I was thinking that maybe in the future, each prop could be its own class to select from a menu akin to that of Team Sneaking. The purpose of doing this would be to give props whose real counterparts move their respective speeds. For props that don't normally move, the player could be given a one time use item that would allow them to dash insanely quickly for a second to sneak by and change position efficiently.

As the mod is right now however, it's pretty damn fun and a fresh breath of air. It truly feels like pressure is non-existent, which makes it a very relaxing way to kill time. What I find ironically funny though, it that I was thinking about an old Hide and Seek mod for Doom I used to play the other day, then not long after, this mod comes to life. Goes without saying that I'm really grateful for it!

April 22, 2015, 04:52:11 AM
Reply #24

Offline JTE

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 04:52:11 AM »
- If you're Beat on Light's Lab, due to not being able to fly, is nearly instant death. Other classes that are close to low tier (grass for instance) have at least a fighting chance somewhat. Beat does not.

- The tire prop clips into the ground. Fix that please or this prop will continue to be in negative tier.

The tire and beat can both lock their vertical position. And Beat CAN fly while locked. Just press the fire button to lock and altfire to unlock. It has always worked like this.

April 22, 2015, 05:32:03 AM
Reply #25

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 05:32:03 AM »
Quote from: "tsukiyomaru0"
Yeah, taunting while hiding is genius! Let's take it up a notch: turn everyone into a huge target... Yeah...

Terrible idea. Taunts wouldn't mix with this game. Unless it was for seekers only. Or, if added for the hiding players, it must be a low chuckle or giggle (Random?).

But a slightly more useful idea: have a Server Variable for choosing whether or not the props will be picked at random for players or if they are given a choice. The choice could be through weapon switching and Fire would activate it. But once you make your choice, there's no going back.

You've never played prophunt prior to this have you?
See, your idea is terrible. It'll just allow players to pick only the top tier props. The randomness in props is much appreciated variety.
The purpose of taunts is to mess with the cleaner's head. It's a tradition in the mode that -needs- to exist. It's fun. This is a fun mode, not a stupid serious one. Not everyone tryhards with this mode like you do. It isn't contaminating; it's enriching.

PS
Auto's Truck is a huge target. It already exists   :^)

April 22, 2015, 05:45:23 AM
Reply #26

Offline JTE

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 05:45:23 AM »
I know the SCLIGHT map is horrible partly because it lacks the deathmatch arena to give it more space to hide in and partly because it has a huge multitude of unique props that make it difficult to hide -- Rush, Tango, Beat, and Auto's Truck all appear only ONCE, and the tire and mailbox just have a random chance of appearing TWICE... Which doesn't give you much hope. This is compounded on by the special properties of the tire bouncing players back and auto's truck having a huge pushable hitbox, which indeed does essentially make anyone who turns into the truck just a big honking target (pun intended).

I'm not entirely sure what to do about that because the way I have it working right now, there is only one prop class and it just changes sprites going into different states for each prop type, rather than actually morphing into a different class somehow. I know there's ways to do it thanks to HeXen and the chicken morph thing, but I really haven't had any luck getting it working so far. This leads to more problems than just hitboxes too, sometimes props turn invisible or turn into the bucket because their hit animation bugged out (got interrupted somehow?) and returned to spawn state rather than disguising again.

And the timer doesn't kill all the Rolls half the time because I guess the tids AREN'T set properly somehow or something. Humm... Doom modding is difficult. :( I'll also need to figure out how to turn off the default music script so it doesn't give props the boss music when there's only one Roll left.

SPEAKING OF THE TIMER, 5 minutes is too long until we have a really large game going. I want to make it scale, but I'm not sure what values to throw in to start with. What sounds good to you? I think I'll try 1:00 + 30 seconds per prop, so that it starts at 1:30 with one prop, 3:00 with 4 props, and 5:00 with 6 props to find. Maybe it should cap out around there somewhere regardless of how many more players there are, though. How does that sound?

What else, what else... Ah. The clown man map is still only about halfway finished, I need to make an actual bridge to the bell tower so players realize it's intentionally accessible, block off the backs of some buildings with invisible walls so you can't hide completely out of view of the map boundries, and fill in some more of the blank spots with random props (the bell tower, the gold stairs in front of the bell tower, the top of the central FOF area, and the some of the train tracks are all completely barren). I also think it would be cool to allow players to open the train doors by bumping, so they can hide in dark tunnels too or something. Not sure though, I'd probably have to change the tunnels so it would actually be possible to see inside them. @_@;; Maybe I'll make it so the walls are just textured black but it's actually still full bright inside?

Summary list of bugs found in this version:
    Roll can heal off of Beat's cage because it's shootable for some reason even though hitting it does nothing.
    Roll can heal off of other Rolls because I guess I'm still doing this wrong. (Previous version actually only healed you when a prop's death state told you to heal.)
    Whereas in the previous version sometimes props would turn into the bucket when their pain state is interrupted, this version turns those props completely invisible. Darn it... :(
    Mettool helmets don't die when pushed into death pits, which makes some players go stand on the death pit to the downfall of any Roll who dares come after them, eesh...
    The global game timer still doesn't kill all Roll when time is up for some reason. I'm going to try again by using an ENTER-like script bound to each Roll, and it probably still won't work...
    Vacation Roll's attacking animation is missing a frame because I apparently skipped over it when importing from justified classes. Oops.
    I need to disable the default boss/victory music script because it shouldn't be causing a panic when there's still 3 junk left and only 1 cleaner.

Thank you for your help in testing this game mode. These bugs could not be found with bots alone.

I am still taking suggestions for what new maps and props to add next, submissions of new prop sprites, etc. if anyone is up for it. Want something cool added? Know what the best map is? Let me know! Don't want to post here for some reason? You can also contact me on Steam and IRC (on both Zandronum IRC and EsperNet) pretty much 24/7. I most likely won't remember anything you tell me in the in-game chat, sorry.

April 22, 2015, 07:05:48 AM
Reply #27

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:48 AM »
Taunts means blowing your cover, and in a game that's all about hiding in plain sight (which is the point of playing the game, and where most of the fun comes from), it's a completely terrible idea to implement them. Taunting is not "messing with the hunter's head", it's telling them where you are. You could put them in a separate, optional file, but memes are terrible and contaminating in the end, no matter how you look at it. I thought the fun about playing games was playing the game, not playing the "game within the game".

I guess some props are just too large or have too unique properties to be used, ie the tire and the Automobile. This really isn't a problem in the original mod, since the engine in that is far more advanced than what Doom's capable of without shitting itself up.

EDIT: Oh, and prop classes based on size and nature is a bad idea, just like being able to pick what prop you are. The wild card factor of getting randomly assigned props is part of the fun in this gamemode, and it can still be balanced as long as there aren't too many unique props in a map, or players don't get props impossible to "replicate".

April 22, 2015, 07:20:14 AM
Reply #28

Knux

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:14 AM »
What if all prop players were given an item to morph into another randomly selected prop only once? This would give them a chance to possibly get a better prop disguise if they got stuck with one that's relatively less favorable than the others. Though I would suggest the item be taken from prop players once the 30 seconds to hide are up, as it might be cheap otherwise.

EDIT - The timer idea sounds like a good plan, but it might require some playing around with the values, especially with a variety of maps.

April 22, 2015, 07:27:21 AM
Reply #29

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:21 AM »
Hmm, a chance to get a better or worse prop only once every round? I'm not sure, it sounds like a good way of tackling that "issue", but then again that "issue" can also be solved with a proper group of assignable props.