Advanced Search

Author Topic: Roll's Spring Cleaning! (r1d, for v4c)  (Read 36677 times)

April 22, 2015, 07:29:15 AM
Reply #30

Offline JTE

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 20, 2015, 11:33:22 AM

• View Profile
    • http://srb2.org
Re: Roll's Spring Cleaning! (r1a, for v4c)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »
Quote from: "MusashiAA"
but then again that "issue" can also be solved with a proper group of assignable props.
What do you mean.

Maps are already assigning what props you can get.

You don't become Auto's Truck on Clown Man's stage.

April 22, 2015, 07:49:46 AM
Reply #31

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Quote from: "JTE"
but then again that "issue" can also be solved with a proper group of assignable props.
What do you mean.

Maps are already assigning what props you can get.

You don't become Auto's Truck on Clown Man's stage.

Oh

Well, good.

April 22, 2015, 08:32:42 AM
Reply #32

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
Taunts means blowing your cover, and in a game that's all about hiding in plain sight (which is the point of playing the game, and where most of the fun comes from), it's a completely terrible idea to implement them. Taunting is not "messing with the hunter's head", it's telling them where you are. You could put them in a separate, optional file, but memes are terrible and contaminating in the end, no matter how you look at it. I thought the fun about playing games was playing the game, not playing the "game within the game".

It's an -optional- voice clip to press.
If you want to play serious, nothing is forcing you to press the button.
Running in the 90's, some pokemon thing, epic sax guy, etc. (The usual prop taunts, you seem to be so focused on the word meme)
Optional buttons to press to improve on the fun.
In a strategic environment, it'll alert cleaners to your area, yes. However, they won't know which prop is you provided you hid amongst other props. You're baiting them to randomly hit things. It's more for the prop to do. It's fun.

Whatever, I'm done with it.

April 22, 2015, 10:42:38 AM
Reply #33

Offline JTE

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
http://imgur.com/QBHmrao WELL HELLO THERE DOOMBUILDER.
Yes, I did pack 300 things into this map, I'm glad you noticed. No, I don't have any more RAM for you, and my graphics card is dying so your textures seem to have gone missing.

Deal with it.

http://imgur.com/6Y17xYR Testing continues.

April 22, 2015, 02:49:25 PM
Reply #34

Offline NinjaBrad

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 01, 2012, 01:58:57 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
Ive really only ever been big on the TF2 version of prop hunt, where, suddenly shouting 'HELP' or 'good shot' can both fuck with hunters, and cause them to get an idea of where you are. it can be both funny, and is never ever forced. while i think memes are dumb, an array of taunts to mess with people can be funny

April 22, 2015, 02:55:02 PM
Reply #35

Offline Jdude330

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 22, 2013, 12:57:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »
Unfortunatley, the engine only allows ONE taunt, but I think screaming MEDIC! would be great.

April 22, 2015, 04:29:08 PM
Reply #36

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »
Quote from: "Jdude330"
Unfortunatley, the engine only allows ONE taunt.
Incorrect.
Wheel Gator, a skin I made about a year ago, has three randomized taunts.

Personally, I'm on the side of "no taunts" for this mod, though.

April 22, 2015, 04:44:01 PM
Reply #37

Offline JTE

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/NVUNwcv.png Do I have enough cats yet?

Hrm, there still appears to be no way of testing whether a given area is outside of the map bounds, overlapping a linedef, or at least getting/testing the tag number/tid of the sector an object is in... (And even testing floor textures doesn't seem to work with animated water.)

The closest I can get to sanity testing this is putting an invisible actor on the ceiling in every valid room and testing line of sight with it, I suppose.

April 22, 2015, 06:57:41 PM
Reply #38

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Want something cool added? Know what the best map is? Let me know!
ooh baby is it time

POSSIBLE COOL MAPS FOR SPRING CLEANING
    2 Wily 1 (lots of open space; enclosed areas to hide in; barrel heaven)
    7 Wily 2 (IT'S TURTLE TIME)
    Magic Man (basically an alternate Clown Man without heal panels; woo playing cards)
    Plant Man (another large, enclosed-ish map; grass might not be low-tier anymore)
    Napalm Man (TIGER UPPERCUT)

here are some neat maps to consider for this neat mode please and thank you

stay beautiful

April 22, 2015, 07:05:29 PM
Reply #39

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:29 PM »
While I did give idea about Taunt and Server Variable for free picking (or not. Up to the host, hehe! >:D ), I'm with them in this:
Quote from: "Lego"
Personally, I'm on the side of "no taunts" for this mod, though.
To be honest, I don't see any NEED for core change yet... Maps? Well, someone mentioned about what other maps could come in.

April 23, 2015, 08:10:53 AM
Reply #40

Offline JTE

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 08:10:53 AM »
Alright, so SCLIGHT can hold about 4000 props in the playable area with the new just-spawn-anywhere mechanism. Yes, I made sure to keep props from spawning outside of the map, AND they don't block the doorways, get in the water or fire, etc. The mirror broke, but it was worth it. Probably.

Now how many of those valid spawn locations are actually INTERESTING and what would be the best way to determine how to orient them is another story, but overall this is the direction I'm going now so I don't have to worry about manually placing literally 300 spawn points in every decent-sized map all over again.

April 23, 2015, 08:34:24 AM
Reply #41

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
(click to show/hide)

What have we done...

April 23, 2015, 09:13:26 AM
Reply #42

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »
(click to show/hide)

What have we done...

Nuclear Catsplosion

April 23, 2015, 12:50:16 PM
Reply #43

Offline JTE

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Ah... So that's what it's like back here?

Oh my god, TNT1, "----", and "####" all don't work on players AT ALL, and subclasses using the pain states of their parents try to go back to their PARENT'S spawn state instead... @___@ This is all so dreadfully awful to work with for how much it promises. I'm sure it works wonders for making simple objects and enemies, just... not players.

I'mma collapse asleep for a while, but progress so far:
    I've successfully made props spawn all over the map without any specific spawn points. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to it yet, so they're just sort of scattered around nonsensically (CAN I HELP YOU, SIR?). I'm probably going to run a release of it just like that, with the Clown Man map still doing the hundreds-of-predetermined-spots thing, and afterwards the plan is to build complexity into the spawning mechanism by making multiple props try to spawn together in little clusters, eg. a stack of barrels with a doll leaned up against them and a card on the top, or two PicketMans beating on a helmet.
    I'm halfway through moving props into their own individual classes and morphing prop players into those classes each round instead of just switching their sprites out. It's been giving me loads of trouble still, but the benefits are great: The list of props that spawn in each map is now made of class name strings, and new classes can be added without mucking with anything else, just by declaring a class and naming it in your map. Because they're seperate classes now, prop players can have different size hitboxes, different walking speeds (to more closely match the moving character they're mimicing), and scales (because most props are 2.5x scale, but some are only 2.0x and really tiny ones are 1.0x...) So yeah, I can do that. That's a thing.
    Unfortunately the default player sounds (including taunts) don't seem to work with morphed players, so if I really have to go down that road, it would be something I have to script entirely fresh I guess? @_@; I'd make it play a single Duck Hunt bark.when you taunt, for anyone who happens to be a Rush prop I guess.
    I've reduced the time limit to 3 minutes, moved the kill switch into an individualized script (where the activator is the player to manage), and set it to retry killing every frame until it works. Roll should not survive time over anymore, I most sincerely hope.
    I doodled in the back of the building in SCLIGHT, as seen in the screenshot at the top of this post, and removed the invisible walls on the sides so players can now go all the way around. DoomBuilder2 has been screwing with me the entire time, randomly stuttering and clicking on things while I'm trying to drag vertexes around, locking directional keys up in 3D mode and fighting with me over which lines belong to what sectors. :/ Such a pain.
    I added the water bucket as Roll's secondary fire, so now you can alternate between close range and long range attacks on the fly. The water balls splash out and disappear immediately upon impact with any surface, so if you don't splash a player, you're gonna take damage from it.
    Fixed the bug with the Beat cage and other Rolls awarding health for hitting them. You can stop stickfighting now, girls.
    Made respawning un-disguised junk players immune to brooms. I have a funny little plan for this.

How's that for a list, eh? Am I getting too chatty with what I'm currently up to, even when I'm not releasing things just yet?

April 24, 2015, 04:27:15 AM
Reply #44

Offline skully

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 18, 2011, 06:11:17 AM

• View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/dryfclr5
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:15 AM »
I have some suggestions for maps that can be converted for this gamemode.

MM1OIL, MM2MET, MM2DW1, MM2WOO, MM3MAG, MM3HAR, MM4PHA (This one would be rather interesting.), MM4RIN, MM5NAP, MM5CRY, MM6TOM, MM6PLA, MM7SLA, MM7SHA, MM8AQU, MMBBUR.