Advanced Search

Author Topic: How did you find Cutstuff and MM8BDM?  (Read 26508 times)

May 11, 2014, 08:44:25 PM
Read 26508 times

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
How did you find Cutstuff and MM8BDM?
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
It struck me that we (or at least I) don't know a lot about how a majority of the members of this forum - especially the newer ones, but even notably as far back as 2011 - found MM8BDM and Cutstuff. For that reason, and just for curiosity's sake, I'm posing two questions:

1) How did you learn about MM8BDM?
2) How did you learn about Cutstuff?

Of course these questions are not just to new members; I encourage everyone to share how they found the game and the forum. I think it will be interesting to learn if and by how much the two are separated for new members, and how player/member attraction has changed, or hasn't. It could also be useful data for the future!

I guess I'll start it off. I learned about MM8BDM from Watzup7856, who showed it to me right around the release of v1c. I jumped straight into online play since he showed me how to, and learned about the forums just from in-game chat. After downloading some mods and getting Doomseeker, I began to see a lot more people more regularly, which prompted me to join the forums since I began to familiarize myself with the community. So I found the game and forums around the same time, and just by word of mouth.

May 11, 2014, 08:51:06 PM
Reply #1

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
Re: How did you find Cutstuff and MM8BDM?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »

I discovered that series of videos in mid-2011 and first tried the game in September of 2011.
My first time of actively playing MM8BDM online was October of 2011 - March of 2012.

Cutstuff? I first learnt about the site while downloading the game. And I learnt how to host horrible Chaosgenerator servers for christmas of 2011 sillyness by reading tutorials on the forums.
I started reading stuff on the community side of the forums around the same time I got added to Tengu's groupchat for the first time, but joined them 3-6 months or so after that.

tl,dr:
knowing the game: mid-2011
playing the game: late 2011
knowing the tutorial section: late 2011
knowing the community section and skype: mid/late 2012
joining: early 2013

May 11, 2014, 09:10:21 PM
Reply #2

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
Learned about MM8BDM in late 2010 from Shagg, who made videos when Roboenza was (super) popular. This was during v1b, and I started playing immediately. I joined the forums within a few days of playing because I had some screenshots to share, and eventually I stuck around. I got into the community mainly through Ashley's original skype group, where I made some vital friends and started contributing. The rest is history, I guess, and I'm part of the dev team now. Wow!!!

I learned about Cutstuff through MM8BDM. I didn't really care about Mike's other works, I just wanted MM8BDM.

May 11, 2014, 09:28:31 PM
Reply #3

Offline Tfp BreakDown

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 13, 2012, 10:48:09 PM

• View Profile
    • http://askmagnetman.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
I learned about mm8bdm through Protodude's rockman corner. He had the video showcasing all of the weapons in V1. This was around early highschool and when I had got my new laptop and I had wanted to download some games for it.

As for cutstuff, I learned about it through the mm8bdm wiki when I was looking for skins to use in 8bdm. Joined it later just to post an answer to the old and forgotten "Guess that game" forum game (the answer was Red Earth) and soon posted again to put some music packs. Gotten to know the community from online play mostly. other than that I'm a bit below in not noticable.

Extra: so far the only times where I have been absent for a while is when skulltag refused to work right and me breaking my laptop. Other than that it's been fine for me.

May 11, 2014, 09:43:43 PM
Reply #4

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:43:43 PM »
I learned about MM8BDM from brawlman9876, around the time the SGC Demo was out. I wasn't very good since it was my first time doing anything Doom-related, so I couldn't even finish the four Deathmatch matches playing against bots. I tried online later and wasn't too successful there either, though I ran into PowerGloveNinja (eh, haven't seen the guy in a while, so I forgot how his name was spelled), in a server where it was just the two of us. Pretty cool guy, though he pwned me good. Cutstuff I don't remember when I came across it, but I know I saw the forums link on the website while trying to find the download page for v1a, I think, and that was pretty much it. So yeah, I'm a true veteran since I was around pretty much since the game started out.

May 11, 2014, 10:02:26 PM
Reply #5

Offline Jatea

• Enthusiast

• same
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 02:32:48 AM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1339
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
so near the end of our Roblox days
I was doing things on Skulltag (when it was still called Skulltag) like Ghouls vs. Humans
and then the losers who made GvH created this new doom mod called 'MM8BDM'

the SGC demo was out there at the time so I played it for a bit and then went back to other Skulltag things
and then v1a came out and I was like 'this is cool I guess'

((and I managed to drag Travis and 'VirusNinja' into this mess, although it took a while; we were still having fun RP adventures on Roblox))

then Kenkoru told me to go get skype and join him and friends, so I did
and I think Cutstuff was mentioned there

now I'm still here

I actually don't know how everything really progressed but that's what I think happened

May 11, 2014, 10:15:40 PM
Reply #6

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
I originally came to Cutstuff because of Mike's Ghouls vs Humans mod. When Mike showed off the MM8BDM alpha, I took interest in it and stuck around as the new community replaced the old GvH community.

May 11, 2014, 10:19:29 PM
Reply #7

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
I sometimes wonder what will become of GvH, anyway
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
Back in the summer of 2011, I was in a Mega Man craze, having acquired the Anniversary Collection and played through it. I got curious and started searching up Mega Man fangames and discovered MM8BDM through some YouTube video I can't put my finger on. I downloaded the game (v1a, when in fact v2b was already in full swing), got my ass kicked on MM1CUT, but kept at it. I soon discovered I had an outdated version and updated posthaste.

After playing through a few chapters and getting familiar with the game, I got my hands on Doomseeker and hopped online for the first time. MM4DIV was the map, and naturally I got my ass kicked. Again. After finding I needed some mods, I found Cutstuff. Initially wary, I didn't register immediately. I got to know the community better, and registered a week or so after. I went on to learn about forum etiquette and proper syntax and diction, among other things. I still remember the days when I had 26 posts, and I smile when I think of the 1700 I've since accumulated.

When I look back on it three years later, it just amazes me how much I've changed because of this community. For example, in the span of around two and a half years, I went from seeing Watzup in Roboenza servers once in a while to having met him in person twice, and having many light and deep conversations in between. I've met countless other folks that I'm proud to be on such good terms with. I've had my share of experiences, good and bad, but I'm glad I became a part of the community. Needless to say, I'll be sticking around as long as I can.

May 11, 2014, 11:00:59 PM
Reply #8

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »
I first learnt of MM8BDM's existence through a WIP thread back when I was lurking on the ZDoom forums. I remember downloading the alpha version released for Skulltag, but I never actually played it. Don't have it anymore, though.

May 11, 2014, 11:34:47 PM
Reply #9

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »
Quote from: "*Alice"
Quote from: "Lego in the about yourself thread"
I came for the Shagg, and stayed for the swag. :ugeek:
This pretty much sums it up.

...Actually not quite.
I decided to try making a skin, which came out pretty terribly...if there are any screenshots left in existence you would find them in my thread, but I got rid of the skin long ago.
Honestly kind of embarrassed about my old self and how I used to act then...I thought that trainwreck of a skin was good.

May 11, 2014, 11:53:28 PM
Reply #10

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »
-I think I learned about the Ghoul series somewhere in 2009-early 2010, and I started playing GvH in february/-march 2010 during the cold demise days. (Random note: probably one of the first things I read in the chat was someone complaining about how OP Santa was =P)

-I also saw something about a Megaman related Doom mod but I don't remember when.

-I found the site when I was searching stuff about GvH and I read something about that Megaman thing. Then the SGC demo came out so I tried it.

-I had been lurking on the forums for a while but I registered once I made a skin.

May 12, 2014, 12:08:40 AM
Reply #11

Offline Dr. Crasger

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 12, 2013, 11:55:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »
I had been told about an old, canceled Mega Man FPS called "Maverick Hunter" by a friend. Not listening well enough, I had just searched "Mega Man FPS" and whoop de doo, I see some promotional videos for MM8BDM. I find them cool, so I decide to check out this "cutstuff.net" I tell the very same friend about it. He finds it interesting as well, he convinces me to download it; I check some of the tutorials here out, I set Doomseeker up, then I try out the vanilla modes.

I only probably really got into the community upon getting all the wads that Saxton Hale/Roboenza required at the time. Meeting most of the players. I find the community rather accommodating so I stayed, made a forum account and screwed around with folks, talking about random shit.

The rest is history. That was about a year ago.

May 12, 2014, 12:18:17 AM
Reply #12

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 12:18:17 AM »
It was late 2011/early 2012. I occasionally found videos related to MM8BDM, and I was quite interested in playing. I eventually downloaded MM8BDMv1d and played all the way to the final boss. .. Or, if I'm not mistaken, v2a came out before I got to the final boss. But I definitely did beat Gamma. I'm not sure if it was legitimate or not, I forget.

Eventually, I got on to playing online by Doomseeker. My alias was something among the lines of a rainbow colored "Gameboy".

I'm not sure what lead me to coming to Cutstuff, (perhaps frequent visits for wads, as I hadn't set up wadseeker yet) but I came around in April 6, 2012 as Zerokk. Unfortunately, I was the most annoying person at the time, constantly blasting out quotes from Portal 2.

.. Oh, am I going too far? I like bashing on my past self.

May 12, 2014, 12:55:25 AM
Reply #13

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »
Quote from: "Kapus"
I learned about Cutstuff through MM8BDM. I didn't really care about Mike's other works, I just wanted MM8BDM.

*SNIFF SNIFF*

It is interesting hearing how our members made their way here. MM8BDM promotion started pretty bad but I think we're pretty well known now. Just searching for 8-bit megaman on google nets quite a few MM8BDM related sites!

May 12, 2014, 01:06:51 AM
Reply #14

Offline Blutorus

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 07, 2014, 03:02:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 01:06:51 AM »
All the times I found out about Cutstuff and MM8BDM were back somewhere in 2012-ish.

I found MM8BDM through Shagg's playthrough with some of his pals in "MM8BDM Shenanigans". A few months after I saw the videos, I decided to get the game myself.

I actually saw the Cutstuff forums when I was googling "Megaman Fanmade Robot Master Ideas", and I so happened to stumble upon the "Fanmade robot masters" thread that brotoad started. I actually found out about the forums after I saw MM8BDM, but I didn't know they were both related.

So, a few years later, after I have gotten my accounts set up, here I am!