Advanced Search

Author Topic: [EXPANSION] Kirby's Adventure  (Read 48634 times)

October 28, 2011, 09:35:07 AM
Reply #45

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: IT BE OPINION TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
Quote from: "Sora"
I think the Proto/Bass/item system would werk best for the following reasons:

1: It would keep the player from having multiple powers. - By having the main wep be replaced with each upgrade, you can effectively keep one power at a time. Also, discarded wep could turn into a bouncing item someone else could pick up, if someone like to code nightmares.

2: It would be (mostly) easier to program using this system then majorly altering another system/creating one from scratch. - This comes from my lazy side, but it seems like it would be simpler and easier to use the current item system.

3: It would be a homage/reference to the actual games. - Pick up a power (Inhaling it) > Activating a power (Swallowing it) > ??? > PROFIT (PROFIT)

So yeah, that's what I think.  Also:

(click to show/hide)

That is all.  :ugeek:

This sounds like a really good idea to me, I think we should do it.

October 28, 2011, 10:09:54 AM
Reply #46

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
Beware, I live.
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
For the HUD (at least, the health and ammo part of it), I was thinking we could make something similar to the HUD used in Kirby's Adventure, sprite sheet here: http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/kirbyadv/sheet/2623.

After looking at Spriter's Resource, it seems there are 3 main palettes: one for when Kirby has no ability, one for when Kirby has Ice/Freeze and one for when he has any other abilities. Since there are so many weapons for such little choices in palette, we could bend the rules a little bit and make some extra palettes for where their colour changed in later games...For example, giving Beam Kirby a more yellow palette. Some abilities will have parasols, swords, etc. so you can tell what ability they're using without changing their palette.

Also, I mainly put the Proto/Bass-esque item idea forward because I dislike the idea of instantly swapping abilities as soon as you touch a trophy. If Sleep ability isn't going to be a joke ability (ie. healing while using it like in Squeak Squad), then running into a Sleep trophy and instantly using it isn't the best idea.

October 28, 2011, 03:21:32 PM
Reply #47

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

• View Profile
Re: [EXPANSION] Kirby's Adventure
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Okay, the hurt sprites are done, but which ones should I use? I personally like the green ones but it would make it impossible to see what weapon is the opponent using. It's only for a split second after you hurt someone, so I don't think it's really that important.

October 28, 2011, 04:16:35 PM
Reply #48

Offline DarkAura

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »
Quote from: "Korby"
You could have the "bouncing star" be a projectile that shoots out of a player when they activate another power. This star would deal 1 damage, give you the power, and then heal you.

Obviously, this would require a ton of new damagetypes/near identical star projectiles, so it may not be worth it, but it's an idea.

^ The very thing I was trying to work on, but what if the person getting the powerup had exactly 1HP left?  :evil:

October 28, 2011, 07:16:04 PM
Reply #49

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
Well then we get a hilarious obituary.

October 28, 2011, 07:17:18 PM
Reply #50

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
Re: IT BE OPINION TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »
Quote from: "Sora"
I think the Proto/Bass/item system would werk best for the following reasons:

1: It would keep the player from having multiple powers. - By having the main wep be replaced with each upgrade, you can effectively keep one power at a time. Also, discarded wep could turn into a bouncing item someone else could pick up, if someone like to code nightmares.

2: It would be (mostly) easier to program using this system then majorly altering another system/creating one from scratch. - This comes from my lazy side, but it seems like it would be simpler and easier to use the current item system.

3: It would be a homage/reference to the actual games. - Pick up a power (Inhaling it) > Activating a power (Swallowing it) > ??? > PROFIT (PROFIT)
I must agree with this.

October 28, 2011, 08:52:27 PM
Reply #51

Offline Super Bondman 64

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: May 11, 2011, 04:50:39 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/08/16/bond-man-the-phantom-robot-master/
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
I really like the idea of using the altfire to discard your weapon, and of having a star be dropped that someone else could pick up; that sounds pretty cool!  Maybe the star should only come out when people discard it on purpose with the altfire, though (if that's possible), instead of any time you change powers.

For Hyper, would there be a way to make it work simultaneously with the player's previous weapon, or would it work better to just have it be a separate weapon entirely?  Also, it might be neat to have it so that when you run through people with it, they fly off in Wind Storm/Old Gravity Hold fashion.

Also also, I think that having a visible sword/hammer/star rod for the weapons where that would be applicable would be a really good idea as well, if people could make it work without inducing a whole lot of lag.

Manibogi, I do think the green frames look cool, but I would probably support your using the blue ones, since not having blue on the hurt frames might bother some players...

And, Sora, I'll put you down for Bomber then.  Looks... uh... good so far!  Thanks!  :cool:

Also also also, I was thinking about it, and I realized that there's a clearer, less ambiguous way to lay out the whole weapons thing into three separate questions (though some options kind of preclude the others):

1) Should the powers be implemented as weapons, or morphing classes?
2) Should the player have multiple weapons usable simultaneously, or just one?
3) If just one, should the player equip the power immediately upon pickup, or be able to hold on to multiple powers in reserve, as Proto/Bass Buster items?

Immediate pickup seems a little restrictive, but it might also allow for cool stuff, like those Sleep-filled trap rooms from the games, as well.  :geek:  Anyways, I think the consensus so far seems to be pretty universal for weapons, rather than classes, for having one weapon at a time, and for the ability holding weapons in reserve I think...  So unless there is a lot of disagreement suddenly, we may not need a poll after all.

If someone could make up a Kirby hand and some weapon/health meters for the HUD (since we'll probably have those any way we go), I can add them to the first post for weapon designers to use.  Does anyone have ideas about the weapons icons?  I don't know how flexible the Skulltag HUDs can be.

October 28, 2011, 09:05:28 PM
Reply #52

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
I don't think it was altfire, he said when you activate a new power, the old one bounces out of you.

October 28, 2011, 09:59:43 PM
Reply #53

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
Quote from: "DarkAura"
For the weapons I'm trying to work on, I'm suggesting we put in an alt-fi-*shot fired* Wait! *bullet stops* Hear me out first. We should make the weapons have an alt-fire that dispels the ability back to Normal and spawns a star, in a random direction, that another person can pick-up and obtain that power. *bullet disappears*

For Hyper, I was planning on replacing the current weapon with a "marker," give the player Hyper, and automatically activate it. Then, when Hyper is over, it takes the marker, replaces it with the appropriate weapon, and take Hyper away. It's the way I'd do it, but I bet there's a simpler way of doing it.

Nope. It was altfire.

October 28, 2011, 10:14:55 PM
Reply #54

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
For DarkAura's, yes, but I was referring to Sora's suggestion.

October 29, 2011, 12:48:57 AM
Reply #55

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2011, 12:48:57 AM »

And... it's finally done! Thanks for all the feedback Bondman. All that needs to be done now is to make it into a .pk3, however I don't have any experience with SlumpED, so it'll suck if I make it, because of that, I'll need someone else to do it.

October 30, 2011, 02:47:27 AM
Reply #56

Offline DarkAura

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:27 AM »
Quote from: "Super Bondman 64"
For Hyper, would there be a way to make it work simultaneously with the player's previous weapon, or would it work better to just have it be a separate weapon entirely?  Also, it might be neat to have it so that when you run through people with it, they fly off in Wind Storm/Old Gravity Hold fashion.

From 3DS:

Fortunately, I have a bad habit of whatever way I am trying to make something, I am actually making a different way. Hyper is going to be given in a separate acor, similar to Skull. It give the player Hyper, instantly switches to it like activating a buster upgrade, and immediately activates it. But, do ya really think that the enemies should be tossed around when hit by Hyper? Now that I think of it, I might consider it since my current version is a bit similar to KY's Starman, but it would have to do heavy damage as a fragging capability.

Also suggesting, if putting in classes for the weapons, giving specific groups of characters a unique death animation. Kirby has his, DeDeDe and Meta Knight as theirs, lesser enemies, mid-bosses, bosses, and possibly both Nightmares.

Quote from: "Korby"
Well then we get a hilarious obituary.

A power-star deemed Korby not worthy and takes his last health. DarkAura magically gains a frag.

Meh, not good at obituaries. We should ask CF for that.

Oh, and Meta Knight for an Eddie replacement.

October 30, 2011, 09:06:28 PM
Reply #57

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »
Ok, it feels like I've passed this on to about 3 people and nobody has ever said anything about finishing it so here's what I've done of the Pengi skin.

(click to show/hide)

November 03, 2011, 08:56:49 PM
Reply #58

Offline Super Bondman 64

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: May 11, 2011, 04:50:39 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/08/16/bond-man-the-phantom-robot-master/
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
The skin looks great, Manibogi; I can put it in a pk3 for you.  I'll also send you a copy of the finished file as well, if you want; just don't distribute separately it before the expansion is finished.  :geek:

Mr. X, thanks for bringing that up again-- Pengi looks great so far, and I can feature it on the front page for a while to see if someone will take it on.

Does anyone know whether Smash the Echidna is still working on/has finished the music for the expansion?  If he's not still around, I guess I could find the OST on the Internets someplace...

November 03, 2011, 09:24:51 PM
Reply #59

Offline Jafar

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 10, 2010, 02:39:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
If he hasn't, I could get the songs and loop them for you.