Advanced Search

Author Topic: [EXPANSION] Kirby's Adventure  (Read 48514 times)

October 23, 2011, 06:15:25 PM
Reply #30

Offline Super Bondman 64

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: May 11, 2011, 04:50:39 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/08/16/bond-man-the-phantom-robot-master/
Re: [EXPANSION] Kirby's Adventure
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
Quote from: "Duora Super Gyro"
Im going to continue my Butter Building Stage since I already have the textures, but I was kinda wondering. Are there suppose to be 3 stages for each world, if not what are the three squares for beside the world pictures for.
Thank you for continuing that, Duora!  The squares are indeed supposed to stand for different maps for that world, but the fact that there are three doesn't actually mean anything.  I just meant them to signify that there could be multiple maps per world-- we could have more or fewer than three, depending on how many maps people want to make.  
Quote from: "Strange Metool"
Bondman, are you going to update the front page?
I am, but since it's made up of picture files, and takes a bit more time to update, I had only been planning on doing it once or maybe twice a week.  I'll do it now, though, since I have time.

Also, I've been a-working on the Poppy Bros. Jr. skin-- what do you guys think so far?  The only thing I think looks off is the smile on his side frames; everything else I'm pretty happy with.  On the right I have some apple rotations (not quite done yet), and I was going to ask what everyone would think of having an alternate "apple-rider" Poppy skin, just for fun.
(click to show/hide)

(And if anyone wants to use the apple rotations for a falling apple actor, they can.)

October 23, 2011, 09:17:09 PM
Reply #31

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 09:17:09 PM »
I would much rather have one map per level.

Poppy Bros looks very good. The mouth on his side frame should probably shrink by a pixel or two.

October 24, 2011, 01:03:25 AM
Reply #32

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »
Mind if I change Hothead for Toss Tortoise?

I believe I could do him well, and Hothead is too hard for me, a simpleton.

October 25, 2011, 04:25:08 AM
Reply #33

Offline Super Bondman 64

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:08 AM »
Go ahead, Star Dood, that sounds good!  If you had anything done already on Hothead, you might post it for the next person, but it's fine if you didn't.

Also, Kapus, having thought about it a bit, I tend to agree with you about the map number-- having one map per world would probably be less redundant and a bit more achievable, besides being likely more polished.  One exception might be for CTF maps, though, since if we decide to have any, they wouldn't be compatible with the other game modes.

Also, I'll keep working on Poppy Bros. Jr.  Do you think the alternate skin for him sounds like a good idea?

October 25, 2011, 06:43:11 AM
Reply #34

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 06:43:11 AM »
I'm assuming you mean an alternate skin of him riding on an apple.

Sure, go ahead.

October 25, 2011, 05:51:30 PM
Reply #35

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
I'll take Javelin Knight, it's easy enough for a first skin.

October 25, 2011, 09:17:23 PM
Reply #36

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
Ok. slight problem with the textures. something happend to my texture pack, for some reason the only thing in my wad is one lump that looks like a pk3 when you export one into a random wad. sadly my textures werent complelty finished so I dont have any of them now.

And as for the levels, I think we should do 3 levels for each world, one small one large and a ctf stage (I love CTF) but thats just me.

October 25, 2011, 10:06:41 PM
Reply #37

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
Here's the W.I.P:

The ones in the far left and far right are alt. walking poses. They look like the originals but the pose itself is the same as in the first walking poses.
Which ones should I keep?

October 26, 2011, 04:03:38 PM
Reply #38

Offline DarkAura

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
I finished up with Spark and Fire, and I may need someone to test it.

I'll also throw in Laser, Cutter, and Hi-Jump as well.

October 26, 2011, 05:01:14 PM
Reply #39

Offline Lio

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 11, 2010, 01:48:55 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
Cutter is taken by me.

To be quite honest, I won't feel comfortable while working it until we work out stuff like palettes, trophy system and HUD styles.

October 26, 2011, 05:29:37 PM
Reply #40

Offline DarkAura

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »
Forgot that Cutter was taken, sorry.
I guess I can try working on Crash, Hyper, and Mix.

EDIT: How exactly will Hyper be given, As an item or immediately after pickup?

October 28, 2011, 12:45:59 AM
Reply #41

Offline Super Bondman 64

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
Manibogi, those sprites look great so far-- thanks for working on that!  As far as the walking sprites, I might go with the main ones, since even though the others are more like the ones from the game, the main ones seem to make a bit more spatial sense.  As a suggestion, you might remove some of the pixels from the groove on top of his head for the front/back frames, so that it matches that in the diagonal ones.

I don't know if it would help any (and maybe you've already seen these), but you might be able to make use of these sprites from other Kirby games as inspiration.  Maybe you could work that green, glowy thing he does into the skin as his hurt frame. :cool:
http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_ad ... sheet/3001
http://spriters-resource.com/snes/kirbystar/sheet/2888

And thank you for working on all those weapons, DarkAura; that's a huge help!  I'll add those to the front page next time I can update it.  I would guess that Hyper should come into effect immediately after pickup; it might be too overpowered if people could save it for later.

Also, both to Lio and DarkAura, sorry things have been a bit disorganized so far for weapons.  I'm not really sure what could be done about the HUD, besides just having a Kirby hand (which I think could work, if done right); for the palettes, though, where the games do not have a canonical color for a weapon already (yellow for Beam, blue for Freeze, brown for Stone, etc.), I think that it would probably be okay for the weapon designers to decide for themselves.

For the whole trophies thing, my plan was to make a poll to get some sort of general consensus before deciding.  But first, I'll list the possibilities that I'm aware of so far, so that people have the opportunity to make other suggestions before I set up the poll.  So far, I have:

1) Ordinary MM8BDM-style weapons

2) Proto Buster/Bass Buster style weapon pickups only, which would replace your main weapon; multiple could be held as items in the inventory at one time, but only one could be actively equipped (something along the lines of the stomach thing in Kirby Squeak Squad). [Shade Guy's idea]

3) Roboenza-type class-morphing weapons.  This would actually involve making the different weapons into different classes, with different attributes (like armor, jump height, etc.).  This could work either through item pickups (so that several could be carried at a time), or through class-morphing upon contact with trophies, without pickups (like how it works in the game).

Probably the more outlandish options would be more interesting, and allow for new kinds of in-battle strategies, but at the same time it might make the expansion less compatible with the main MM8BDM game, and the existing body of add-ons.  I don't personally have any experience with the nitty-gritty of Skulltag programming, so please correct me if any of these options are impractical/impossible.

October 28, 2011, 01:53:49 AM
Reply #42

Offline DarkAura

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 01:53:49 AM »
I agree with having the weapons replacing Normal, but I don't agree on them being items. My idea would be that ya can't pick another power of if ya already have one (other than Normal). For the weapons I'm trying to work on, I'm suggesting we put in an alt-fi-*shot fired* Wait! *bullet stops* Hear me out first. We should make the weapons have an alt-fire that dispels the ability back to Normal and spawns a star, in a random direction, that another person can pick-up and obtain that power. *bullet disappears*

For Hyper, I was planning on replacing the current weapon with a "marker," give the player Hyper, and automatically activate it. Then, when Hyper is over, it takes the marker, replaces it with the appropriate weapon, and take Hyper away. It's the way I'd do it, but I bet there's a simpler way of doing it.

October 28, 2011, 03:18:37 AM
Reply #43

Offline Sora

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: April 22, 2011, 06:23:08 PM

• View Profile
IT BE OPINION TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:37 AM »
I think the Proto/Bass/item system would werk best for the following reasons:

1: It would keep the player from having multiple powers. - By having the main wep be replaced with each upgrade, you can effectively keep one power at a time. Also, discarded wep could turn into a bouncing item someone else could pick up, if someone like to code nightmares.

2: It would be (mostly) easier to program using this system then majorly altering another system/creating one from scratch. - This comes from my lazy side, but it seems like it would be simpler and easier to use the current item system.

3: It would be a homage/reference to the actual games. - Pick up a power (Inhaling it) > Activating a power (Swallowing it) > ??? > PROFIT (PROFIT)

So yeah, that's what I think.  Also:

(click to show/hide)

That is all.  :ugeek:

October 28, 2011, 06:02:26 AM
Reply #44

Online Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 06:02:26 AM »
You could have the "bouncing star" be a projectile that shoots out of a player when they activate another power. This star would deal 1 damage, give you the power, and then heal you.

Obviously, this would require a ton of new damagetypes/near identical star projectiles, so it may not be worth it, but it's an idea.