Advanced Search

Author Topic: Expanding the Library  (Read 4208 times)

September 30, 2011, 04:21:26 AM
Read 4208 times

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
Expanding the Library
« on: September 30, 2011, 04:21:26 AM »
This question is more about Vanilla MM8BDM than about the mods, so I believe it should go here.

Anywho, I've been talking about this for a while with people on other servers, and I wanted to know what you all thought.

MM8BDM is great, but the music list is quite limited, especially after so many months at the game. The music tracks from the I and X packs are very highly spoken of when they are included as .WADs.

My idea is this: Why not take the music files from the I and X packs and include them in the next version of MM8BDM (V2D, I presume)?

I realize the lack of a longer music library is a simple problem, but this would seemingly be a very simple task on the part of the programmers.

I'm eager to hear the thoughts of CMM, Ivory, and anyone else who worked/works on the game, but the opinions of the people of Cutstuff are important too.

September 30, 2011, 04:40:18 AM
Reply #1

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
Re: Expanding the Library
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:40:18 AM »
If you want certain music, make it into a music pack. It's like saying "I want pokemon music put into mm8bdm" when Megaman has nothing to do with pokemon. It's as simple as extracting the music wad from the pack in Slade/SLumpEd and dropping it in your skins folder. Stop being lazy and make your own music packs/inserting custom music instead of meaninglessly adding clutter to mm8bdm.

September 30, 2011, 04:43:26 AM
Reply #2

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:26 AM »
I agree with Bik. Someone could just make a Cutstuff community music pack, with all the songs from the most popular map packs. Or something.

inb4kevmusicpack

September 30, 2011, 04:45:30 AM
Reply #3

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Lockity lock lock
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 04:45:30 AM »
You don't even need a community music pack. All you need to do is download some mp3s, name them something 8 or less letters, put them in slade/slumpEd, save it as a .wad, then put it in the skins folder.

September 30, 2011, 04:48:19 AM
Reply #4

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 04:48:19 AM »
Bik does a great job summing up why I don't want to see the music in MM8BDM. It's pointless.

September 30, 2011, 04:57:20 AM
Reply #5

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:57:20 AM »
Yeah, I went and made a music pack for AMP if you want to hear fighter x music if you like. I guess it's dependent on whether or not you want to go into slumped/slade/xwe/whatever and simply transfer all the music over into a fresh wad file. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, if that.

September 30, 2011, 04:59:58 AM
Reply #6

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
IDMMUS7 Is already in the game!!!1
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:59:58 AM »
You can actually get the music from any map pack into the game without using Slade. Move the map pack into the Skins folder, and you have all the music ready to go.

I would personally like to see the return of ICTFMUS3 in the map MMCTF10, however. Just arbitrary preference.

September 30, 2011, 05:02:56 AM
Reply #7

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:02:56 AM »
Quote from: "Ice-IX"
Move the map pack into the Skins folder, and you have all the music ready to go.
Doesn't that normally crash the game?

September 30, 2011, 06:45:13 AM
Reply #8

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »
I don't think you guys have grasped the point.

Hosting servers allows one to change music at times to set a unique mood.
As far as I know, dropping music in my skins folder does not allow clients to hear the songs.
I thought the music in I and X packs were good for MM8BDM in any stage, so I offered a suggestion to make servers a little better.
For my suggestion, I'm called lazy.

Ironic, considering omitting the songs in the main version of MM8BDM could be viewed as lazy in and of itself. A very small amount of work makes these songs available to everyone in a server, and makes the game a little more user-friendly as a whole.

I honestly don't understand the resistance. (except from Bik, since he's just trolling and I know it).

September 30, 2011, 06:54:00 AM
Reply #9

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Quote from: "Sean Nelson"
We have, we just don't like the idea.
That's why you host map packs, for more music and areas to play in
As far as I know, dropping music in my skins folder does not allow clients to hear the songs.
If both the client and the server host has them, they'll be heard. But also, what if the players do not like the extra songs? Wouldn't that just be more work to remove them than to download a music pack which isn't mandatory for play?
I thought the music in I and X packs were good for MM8BDM in any stage, so I offered a suggestion to make servers a little better.
Then host the map packs without the stages in rotation if you like the music, but not the maps.
You are if you can't make you own pack to listen to them.
Ironic, considering omitting the songs in the main version of MM8BDM could be viewed as lazy in and of itself.
But mm8bdm is made to be as 8-bit as possible, attempting to emulate megaman in an fps-like way, not to be an mp3 player.
 A very small amount of work makes these songs available to everyone in a server, and makes the game a little more user-friendly as a whole.
Again, that's why you host map packs
I honestly don't understand the resistance. (except from Bik, since he's just trolling and I know it).
So making valid points is considered trolling now? Hmm, since Ivory agreed with me, does that make him a troll too, Sean?

September 30, 2011, 06:58:53 AM
Reply #10

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
I thought the music in I and X packs were good for MM8BDM in any stage

That's exactly your problem right there.

You thought.

And it appears most people think differently. Or at least they don't think the way you do.

"Add a mod's music to Vanilla because they're cool, because they fit, and because Vanilla needs more music variety"

That's your point.

Vanilla doesn't need more music variety than the one it has (the OST of 7 MM games, plus some extra tracks from 2 other MM games). If you want more music variety for your MM8BDM experience, go make a music pack.

No, they do not fit. Sonic music or Earthworm Jim music doesn't fit in Vanilla Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch. 8-BIT MEGA MAN music fits in Vanilla MM8BDM. 8-bit, MM-styled original compositions are just stretching it.

No, they're not cool. That's subjective judgement.

September 30, 2011, 07:20:04 AM
Reply #11

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
I sure hope I'm not a troll because I don't think the music Mr.X and I picked out for respected maps should be placed in MM8BDM.

Anyways, I believe that MM8BDM should remain pure. Outside of Ducks in Space and Goblins n' Ghouls(though that one is very much justified), MM8BDM is pure mega man. That's the way it should be. I don't mind using non Mega Man music in my mappack. It isn't the main game, it's just a mappack for it. As with any other mod out there.

I also don't really understand how having songs from popular mappacks in MM8BDM makes it more user friendly. Maybe mod maker friendly because I can ditch the bulk of the IX-Pack's weight.
Your intentions are fine, I can understand why you would suggest this. It just isn't practical to do.

Now if you really want to the IX-Pack's music anywhere, any time.
    1) Open up Slade3 or SlumpED (Heck even using a simple zip folder can make it work)
    2) Make a wad or pk3
    3) Open up the IX-Pack
    4) Navigate to the music.wad and open it up
    5) Copy and paste the music into the wad or pk3
    6) Save it
    7) Toss it into your skin folder(Or announcer folder works too).
    8) Play the game and listen to earthworm jim anywhere you want.

September 30, 2011, 07:30:52 AM
Reply #12

Offline ice

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 05, 2010, 05:09:31 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
A better suggestion would of been adding the left out MM2-6 music (MM2 Wily 2, or MM4 Cossack 1 or even the MM4 finnal boss battle)

September 30, 2011, 07:49:24 AM
Reply #13

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:24 AM »
I believe there's a music pack for that lying around in the skins section.

However, keep in mind that the music in the vanilla MM8BDM is only songs that are used in a stock map or the campaign. Having the extra Wily themes, while being nice, would just be wasted space since they would never get used in-game, and are only there as another option.

September 30, 2011, 08:11:12 AM
Reply #14

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
It'd be different if it were the CW soundtrack.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:11:12 AM »

Ironic, considering omitting the songs in the main version of MM8BDM could be viewed as lazy in and of itself. A very small amount of work makes these songs available to everyone in a server, and makes the game a little more user-friendly as a whole.
No, I do not see the point. As server host, you control the WADs necessary to join the server. As such, by adding the IX-pack to the list of wads required, everyone who joins will have that music available and you can play that music at any time. Thus, if the IX-Pack is hosted and the IX-Music were to be in the main game, it would be redundant! Allowing for such a redundancy would be lazy.

If you want to change the music as host, add the IX-Pack and you can. The only reason I see left is that you want to change the music to IX music without hosting the maps. There is no reason not to host the IX-Pack. The IX-Pack is the greatest standard of quality custom maps available, and it'd be a shame not to enjoy them. "Preference" is not a valid reason. If you always host IX, the desire to have music in the main game will vanish.