Advanced Search

Author Topic: Player.damagescreencolor  (Read 2599 times)

January 12, 2013, 08:06:54 PM
Read 2599 times

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
Player.damagescreencolor
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »
So, I wanted to give a different screen color to the player when he/she gets hit by some kinds of weapons, and I have a problem with an error. Here is my screen setting in a nutshell :
Code: [Select]
actor Megaman2 : Megaman
{
player.damagescreencolor "red", 0.3,"MentalSovereignty" //<== Here is the beast !
states
//And then follow the states and stuff...

And here is the ZDOOM wiki about the Player properties :http://zdoom.org/wiki/Player_properties

...what I wanted to so is to have a -rather discrete, like 0.3 suggests it- red screen flash when the player is hit by the MentalSovereignty damage type. And, it looks like my dear MM8BDM can't accept it. Here's the error it displays when I try using my project on startup~

Code: [Select]
Execution could not continue.

Script error, "MYWAD.pk3:custom/playerstates.txt" line 3:
Unexpected ',' in definition of 'Megaman2'

...unexpected "," ? Teehee, that sure is something. The formula on the Wiki says Player.DamageScreenColor color[, intensity[, damagetype]]. Maybe has it something with the [ ] ?
Through I need help with it, please~

January 12, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
Reply #1

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
Re: Player.damagescreencolor
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Well...ZDoom has a plethora of features Zandronum has yet to implement. All of these are inaccessable to us for use as of this point.
In short, they have stuff that we don't, and boy does it it suck.

Basically, the new features that 8BDM took huge advantage of on the update was use of A_ChangeVelocity, A_ScaleVelocity, and A_SetAngle the instant Zandronum implemented them, this allowed for changes such as Top Spin and Power Stone receiving better rotations online, all of the everything that used to use recoil does not anymore (on account of A_ChangeVelocity causing drastically less lag) as well as other things I will not list because of the size.

The damagetype addition to player.damagescreencolor does not exist, similar to how full radius damage does not exist on A_Explode.

January 13, 2013, 10:32:26 AM
Reply #2

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Ah I see. Well, everything can't be perfect. That being said, when V3 has been released on Zandronum, for some reasons, some things were looking better, like the graphic, or- well the engine itself looked more powerful, so it's not that bad...
Through I found another way to change the screen color ; it seems that the PowerupGiver item class allows to change the screen color with Powerup.Color "RR GG BB". I think I'll go with that !

EDIT TO AVOID ANOTHER POST : Then your idea was really interesting, this new palette is so much diversified and..."alive" ! The colors are really interesting, also Mega Man isn't at all the kind of game that will use the dark Doom colors...

January 13, 2013, 01:10:15 PM
Reply #3

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
The graphical changes were due to a complete palette swapout in MM8BDM, an idea inspired by NemZ, and tailored by Messatsu and myself. I gathered the colors for use in the palette and Mess reordered them to better match the initial Doom Palette. The main reason I changed the palette was because the Software renderer has strict rendering limits to 256 colors, as defined by PLAYPAL in the last wad loaded. The engine itself didn't change how it rendered the game, we, however, changed how the game rendered the textures and objects in the game. However, I did not realize that this change would also impact weapon colors until later on, which then took advantage of the new palette's more accurate color choices.