Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestions] MM2AIR and MM7DW3 (Maybe others, too)  (Read 8981 times)

May 01, 2013, 07:45:26 PM
Read 8981 times

Knux

[Suggestions] MM2AIR and MM7DW3 (Maybe others, too)
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
MM2AIR

You know those Goblin actors that can be seen when going up the side stairs in the square sections? How about getting the impassable lines out of the way so that people can platform their way to the side? It's annoying enough having to watch out for pits, then there's homing weapons in the map, too. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd like another way out of the square sections from which I can see what awaits me instead being of paranoid of an Air Shooter to the face when going up the stairs to the middle.

MM7DW3

Actually, the map is pretty good. One of my favorites, in fact. Although ever since v2a was released, I've been thinking that the large, open area with Rolling Cutter and Freeze Cracker (Is it? Forgot the other one...) could use some cover. Maybe a pillar in the middle between them, or one for each. That would also give Rolling Cutter places to bounce off from.

MM4BRI

Just remembered this one. Because of all the jumping here, fighting is kinda difficult. Since this is pretty much all of the stage, expanding the size of the large steps might not be such a bad idea. Otherwise, just place run-by steps in their middles and/or sides for easier travel. Scorch Wheel is an excellent offensive weapon here, but the jumping hampers the speed boost.

I think I had others, but that should be it for now.

May 02, 2013, 12:34:22 AM
Reply #1

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Re: [Suggestions] MM2AIR and MM7DW3 (Maybe others, too)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
I definitely agree about Airman. I've always wanted to be able to jump on those things.

May 02, 2013, 12:38:23 AM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »
I added those lines because I felt jumping on those huge billdboarded sprites broke the immersion a little, I guess they can be taken out. Brightman probably needs some tweaks/replacing.

May 02, 2013, 12:40:13 AM
Reply #3

Offline DarkAura

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: March 06, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »
Do ya think it's possible for the textures in MM4BRI, other than it immediately switching the lights on/off at the snap of a finger, to fade to/from black instead?

May 02, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
Reply #4

Knux

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
The thing with that is that the blackouts aren't really a brightness change. What the script for it does is replace the textures with the "BLACK" texture. If it was to be done gradually, they'd need to make whole sets of dim textures just for something that will be seen for a second or two at best, so yeah. Too much work for something better looking.

Since we're talking about MM4BRI, I think that the dim steps used in MM4BRIX would be a great idea (especially since there's a pit in the stage).

...Perhaps removing the impassable lines on the Goblins might not be such a good idea after all. Because they're sprites, it's difficult to tell where their size starts and ends. Two other things, in that case:

1. Stairs or jump blocks.

2. Use the Goblin textures that Nemz made to make 3D platforms. May clash with the textures, but it makes it more obvious that it's a platform. This way, you can leave the actor Goblins blocked to prevent confusion.

May 02, 2013, 09:01:20 PM
Reply #5

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
Well...you could just take the sprites used in the game already to make textures to use for Platforms. With this being the case, all that would be needed is a top/bottom texture and then it would all be set to make as 3D Platforms. Not to mention, it would make the things look fantastic compared to what we have currently.

May 03, 2013, 12:06:07 AM
Reply #6

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:06:07 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to try that out and see how well it looks.

May 03, 2013, 12:08:21 AM
Reply #7

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 12:08:21 AM »
iirc, the unblockable linedefs on airman's goblin heads were added because way back in the day, item-1 users got up on there and zombies in roboenza couldn't reach them.

granted I could be wrong, especially considering mike put a reason here

May 03, 2013, 12:14:31 AM
Reply #8

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
I added those lines because I felt jumping on those huge billdboarded sprites broke the immersion a little, I guess they can be taken out. Brightman probably needs some tweaks/replacing.
You know... Considering 3D floors works fine, couldn't you turn the Airgoblins into 3D floors? after all, they just sit there.

May 03, 2013, 12:10:54 PM
Reply #9

Knux

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
I'm gonna check every core map today and see what else I can remember. For now though:

MM6WIN

I like the map, but going down the stairs into a dead end... I don't know, it doesn't feel quite right. I've gotten used to it, but it could be better. There is an Exit Unit and some hard hitting weapons in that basement (Water Wave, Power Stone), but that means only one person can get out safely unless the opponent delays them with Wind Storm. It's not bad, but if it were me, I would place stairs to the sides, with platforms for the power weapons. So that means they have to jump the middle stairs, and just run up the side ones. Walls would be great if this were to be done, just to prevent falling into pits (and look good).

Every DM I've played in the stage almost always results in a Power Stone war, which is hilarious. Not anyone's fault, either.

May 03, 2013, 02:16:00 PM
Reply #10

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Someone can go ahead and try to make one of the goblins 3d if they want to give it a go, I'm not sure how you'd make it look good though.

Also korby raises a good point, maybe that's why I did it  :ugeek:

May 03, 2013, 06:53:50 PM
Reply #11

Knux

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
Someone can go ahead and try to make one of the goblins 3d
Sure, no problem. Though it'll have to wait until later when I get home.

EDIT: So what I did was turn the Goblins into textures that go on 3D floors. They look extremely ugly, so I made some stairs too. You can go for either idea, and not need to use the Goblin textures. I did this on a hurry because I'm so tired, but that's the general gist of it. For the top of the Goblin blocks, I used a texture made by Nemz and gave it the light blue color instead of gray for the cloud afro. I also had to edit the side ones because they were a bit too big. But again, the blocks look ugly anyway. I'd replace them with the normal Air Man textures. At least they're easy to climb!

Look on the bottom half of the map on both sides. That's where I made the changes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2t5uzuhttusa9og

Also, worthy of noting: Software fucks up the top texture of the Goblin blocks for some reason, though they look fine on GL.

November 04, 2013, 10:13:13 PM
Reply #12

Knux

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »
Gigantular bump, but I need this brought to attention.
(click to show/hide)
The dead end room in MM4SKU needs more paths to help the flow of the game, and also to discourage camping.

How many (insert weapon here) walls have we had there, now...?

November 05, 2013, 12:15:26 AM
Reply #13

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
If Skullman was a map made for an official expansion today, I think it would probably be frowned upon because of this dead end. I'm in agreement.

I think a lot of old maps sort of get away with conventions that are out of favor now simply because they are old.  I doubt maps as simple (and obnoxious) as MM4BRI or MM6PLA would be accepted today. A map such as MM1ICE might also be seen as too linear. I guess this is why we have been going back and changing some of these old maps to fit today's standards (MM3MAG being a good example).

November 05, 2013, 12:49:31 AM
Reply #14

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 08, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 12:49:31 AM »
MM4SKU is the way it is because it's a remake of MAP01 of Dwango5. That is a very old map. It's also a classic, though, so I'd rather dislike any changes from that.