Advanced Search

Author Topic: Things to improve this awesome game  (Read 27097 times)

July 15, 2010, 04:44:56 PM
Read 27097 times

Anonymous

Things to improve this awesome game
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
First i want to note, that you did a great job this far imo.
But still i have some improvements on my mind to get more mega man feeling in the game, but i dont know if skulltag is able to even do this.

-Jump height
mega man can jump really high and so should you be able to in this game, perhaps not as high as in 2d mega man, but at least twice as high as is now
- slide and crouch
you should add megamans slide ability but i doubt it is possible in skulltag. but if its possbile it would be great to be able to slide into enemys and beeing able to do some damage this way. at the same time you should disable the ability to crouch, since megaman cant do that :-)
- level hazzards
i like the metal man stage the most since it got those neat conveyor belts and i think you should add more hazzards like spikes, flying scissors etc.  and if possible the vanishing platforms.

i think those things would drasticly improve the megaman feeling of the game, but still im aware most things might not be possible on skulltag.

July 15, 2010, 04:56:31 PM
Reply #1

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
Re: Things to improve this awesome game
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
You will be able to slide into enemies in the final version with the charge kick power-up and there are more stages with hazards (such as Quick Man's lasers of doom) in the final version.  Check out some videos in the gameplay videos thread.

July 15, 2010, 05:08:12 PM
Reply #2

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »
You can already crouch, and I'm sure more people would be annoyed with the hazards, considering all the people that fell off Bomb Man's stage. Quick Man has some lasers, but it's not really a focus of the game. Jumping height could be increased but all the stages are built around the current height so Mike would have to rework them, and sliding isn't possible in Doom. You can use the charge kick, but it's more of a dash.

July 15, 2010, 05:18:19 PM
Reply #3

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
I'll try messing with the jumping but if you can jump more than 3 tiles up a lot of levels will not play out as planned, as Yellow Devil said. Sliding is out the question because 1) sprites and 2) You can't change the player's height on the fly. As for hazards, there's enough but I'm not trying to go overboard. This ain't no smash bros  :p

July 15, 2010, 06:42:33 PM
Reply #4

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
as i said, im aware that some things might not be possible, but what does crouching in doom acutally do if u cant change a players height?
wouldnt it be possible to combine charge and crouch into a slide?
im totaly aware about the fact, that higher jump leads to changes in the level design, but its supposed to be megaman and i cant imagine a megaman game where you cant jump over the enemys projectiles.
Concerning the level hazzards, i cant comment on the levels that arent in the beta, but the maps(besides the bosses) have allways been the star of megaman games. at least some of the more powerfull weapons could be hard to reach, for example by memorizing a vanishing platform pattern.
all my ideas where directly connected to what makes megaman gameplay so fun and i think i would make the game feel more like a megaman game.

July 15, 2010, 07:09:05 PM
Reply #5

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
While it would more Megaman like, you must understand there has to be a balance between the gameplay and Megaman elements. Too many hazards irritate the player and honestly, I don't imagine the slide to be that useful. I think Cutty has done a great job in making fun gameplay with Megaman elements.

Remember, this supposed to be Deathmatch.

July 15, 2010, 07:17:51 PM
Reply #6

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
First of all, the disappearing blocks are in Heat Man's stage.
Second, this game is not a platforming game, it's a first person shooter deathmatch.  Yes, those elements would make it more Mega Man-like, but they don't work well at all in a first person environment.
Third, there are enough stage hazards.  If there were more stage hazards, they would interfere with the actual player vs. player action and would make some players (i.e. me) frustrated.  The same thing happened with Smash Bros. Brawl.  There's so many stage hazards in that game that I feel more like I spend more time dodging hazards than fighting, which isn't good in a fighting game.

July 15, 2010, 07:27:09 PM
Reply #7

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
Not to mention you can indeed jump over enemy projectiles.

July 15, 2010, 07:48:21 PM
Reply #8

Offline BEan

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 14, 2010, 07:34:03 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
I hate the disappearing blocks.

July 15, 2010, 07:57:53 PM
Reply #9

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
You'll love this then

July 15, 2010, 07:58:55 PM
Reply #10

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
Wow, that looks so hard. I sure hope them Crash Bombs are worth it! Is Heat Man the only one with the blocks?

July 15, 2010, 08:01:18 PM
Reply #11

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »
you guys seem all to have seen/played more stages then the ones in the demo, so if the other maps have all those elements forget my concern.
and jumping over projectiles right now is nearly impossible and not very usefull. yes, its an fps, but you have to think outside the box sometimes not mentioning that everyone who played a quake game knows that aircombat (even if via rocket jumps) is awesome.
and why wouldnt sliding be usefull? if you could slide under someone projectiles it would be very usefull and naturally it should make a fair amount of damage if you acutally hit someone.

July 15, 2010, 08:03:24 PM
Reply #12

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
You'll love this then

awesome :-)
and btw. traps dont have to come in the way of pvp since you can make it that you only have to traverse them to reach powerfull weapons, like seen above.

July 15, 2010, 08:04:24 PM
Reply #13

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
But if you're trying to use sliding to make the game more Mega Man like, wouldn't the sliding do no damage?  Also, I haven't played more than the demo, my information comes from the videos in the "gameplay vidoes" thread. (somebody needs to fix that spelling error)

July 15, 2010, 08:06:16 PM
Reply #14

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
Jumping over projectiles is easy and useful, and I've never played Doom. Mega Buster is easy to dodge, as is the Gemini Laser, Hard Knuckle, and Atomic Fire. Needle Cannon can be a problem, as can the Ice Slasher due to their rapid fire, and Search Snakes, Napalm Bombs + Air Shooter can't be jumped over effectively. You should try jumping.

Guys, Mike said it before, Sliding is impossible.