Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Game Modes] Roboenza mods + Other Creations (Upd. 9/8/13)  (Read 134880 times)

April 02, 2011, 11:16:41 PM
Reply #30

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Mod] Rage Roboenza
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
Yea, I'm trying to figure out a good rate of regen for zombies.  

Regen rune is 5 health every 3 seconds.  
Quote from: "tsukiyomaru0"
Quote from: "Messatsu"
hm, the rate of regen is pretty quick though.  5 health every 3 seconds.  There must be a way to modify this.  I hope.
Try to get the code for Regenrune if you can.
The part I'm not sure about is how to adjust the actual regen rate.  For speed/haste you can just say speed 1.2 or something, so regen must have something similar but I'm not sure what it is.  In the meantime I'm using ACS to accomplish what I need.  I've got it at 5 health every 5 seconds, though that may be a bit low.  Probably will test both out and see how it goes.

April 02, 2011, 11:31:11 PM
Reply #31

Offline Asd967

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: November 01, 2010, 03:59:45 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
You could just get Plantman's coding on Classes mod and port it to the roboenza zombies.

April 02, 2011, 11:32:16 PM
Reply #32

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 03, 2010, 07:35:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
Part of the fun of the original though was overcoming the speed disadvantage to victory as a zombie.

Health regen is ok I guess, I will have to see it in action to know for sure. In general though there's two things that have diverged from DOOM's original formula that ruin modern FPS games.

Those are
    Regenerating health
     Sniper rifles

For zombies it's probably ok. There's probably better ways to balance this mode though than regenerating health. Things like climb speed and the now increased knockback being reduced come to mind.

Yes, a slight side effect of the zombie speed increase is a bit of an increased knockback. No one has yet pointed this out so I figure I ought to.

April 02, 2011, 11:36:02 PM
Reply #33

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »
Quote from: "SickSadWorld"
Part of the fun of the original though was overcoming the speed disadvantage to victory as a zombie.
Everything you need to know is here.

April 03, 2011, 06:18:59 AM
Reply #34

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
Quote from: "tsukiyomaru0"
Quote from: "SickSadWorld"
Everything you need to know is here.

This is only true for a small range of players. For me, original roboenza is only possible until about 10 players. Then it becomes nearly impossible to overcome the speed disadvantage without being well, mobbed. This mod seems to be a reaction of Mess's to servers getting large. In Rage, it's much easier to infect with zombie speed. This means: players who aren't as good(who FLOCK to roboenza) now have a chance at infecting, and the matches don't just end instantly as a weak player gets mobbed. You've admitting to not being good as an alpha yourself. Original roboenza is just 'wait around for a good player to be alpha, as the the not-good ones get mobbed to death' if the players exceed 10 (even 8 on small stages like... Flame Man).

tl;dr: Rage is better because it makes MUCH better for weak zombies to infect, and for last-survivors to win. Fast zombies are MUCH more interesting than the 'sponge' zombies. I miss infect weapon drops; the weapon itself though is fine(despite minor range issues). Zombie altfire also helps stop 'slow rounds'.

Actually the zombie killer part is the exact reason for Rage. I know that won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the goal of this mod is change it from a run away from zombies to an engage and destroy zombies style. I found zombies won if they infected a bunch of players right off the start, but lost if all the players ganged up immediately. So rounds tended to be very quick. I'm going to give Rage a buff, but reduce the frequency on which it occurs. The idea behind it is that when a player has very little chance of winning, there's a glimmer of hope.

An option I'm toying with currently for zombies is to give them a max of 300 health (vs 360 current max) but give them a regen rune.

I like this. To me, a balance would be: Make 'normal rage' for 3+ zombies, and let's say 'super rage'(the proposed idea with wtanks/wep energy refilled) for 7+ or even 9+ zombies. But your sentiment IMO reflects the reason the mod was created, which I agree with totally. BUT: I say no to regen-rune on zombies. Most of the mod is helping out "noobs" who aren't good at infecting, but to me regen-rune seems overkill. There's only so much weapon energy in some sets.

April 03, 2011, 06:30:38 AM
Reply #35

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »
Course, it could always be interesting for different types of zombies. becoming a random zombie type when infected.
varying from fast but weak, to slow sponge(though maybe not vanilla roboenza slow). Maybe some sort of zombie with new abilities like a long range zombie that can throw it's arm(boomerang) to infect survivors, but suffers from long wait times to do it again  and moderate-slow moving speeds to compensate for having a ranged infecting tool.

Well anyways, just an idea to consider.

April 03, 2011, 10:31:00 AM
Reply #36

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
So...You're thinking of something similar to classes roboenza? First I'd say put that into another mod of roboenza.

It's an interesting idea; though I don't think people would be happy with a random type of zombie being chosen for them. However, it would be ridiculous if all zombies chose to be the boomerang type you suggested.

April 03, 2011, 02:11:43 PM
Reply #37

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Quote from: "Ivory"
Course, it could always be interesting for different types of zombies. becoming a random zombie type when infected.
varying from fast but weak, to slow sponge(though maybe not vanilla roboenza slow). Maybe some sort of zombie with new abilities like a long range zombie that can throw it's arm(boomerang) to infect survivors, but suffers from long wait times to do it again  and moderate-slow moving speeds to compensate for having a ranged infecting tool.

Well anyways, just an idea to consider.

This had been suggested a couple of times and I think it's a great idea.  I won't implemented in the scope of this project, but there's a part of me that wants to make Roboenza that works with the classes mod that implements this kind of idea.  Heh, classes roboenza with classes.  Maybe once this his a good balance I'll play around with other ideas.

On a side note I'm scrapping the regen idea.  While it has it's merits, trying to find a proper rate is a bit too much of a pain.  I will continue to tweak the health formula for now until it feels a bit better for everyone.

April 03, 2011, 04:26:15 PM
Reply #38

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
Quote from: "Ivory"
Maybe some sort of zombie with new abilities like a long range zombie that can throw it's arm(boomerang) to infect survivors, but suffers from long wait times to do it again  and moderate-slow moving speeds to compensate for having a ranged infecting tool.
It'd be just like Super Mario Bros., with everyone (human) avoiding the Boomerang Bros. at all costs! And of course the Bros. would camp near each other so they could attack one at a time while the others recharge, allowing for non-stop boomerang buttrape action :p

April 04, 2011, 03:25:30 AM
Reply #39

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »
(Deleted and reposted so I wouldn't double post.)

What is with the popularity of the classes? I'll stick with the old Roboenza, thank you. I think this is going to break the balance even more (and to think the Rage player was already overpowered...).

I was overreacting a bit in the server earlier. This update has actually made the mode a bit fun, though it's still way too easy to win in it. The health of the zombies is just about perfect...I'd say just a slight buff in health will do it. Zombies still move too fast, though. I can catch even skilled players fairly easily at this speed. I would slow it down to the point where the Zombie can just barely catch a straferunning player (or slightly faster than the old speed). If not that much of a nerf, then just some kind of nerf in speed. It's way too easy to catch survivors right now.

April 05, 2011, 03:11:41 AM
Reply #40

Anonymous

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:41 AM »
I can't download the zip file, it sends me to a blank page when i click the link.
EDIT:the link return this page to me:

April 05, 2011, 03:24:04 AM
Reply #41

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 03:24:04 AM »
Expansion Packs of all kinds are bound to roll around eventually...so go ahead and rename Yoku-Man's theme "YOKMUS."  At least you'll save someone the time.

Also, it would appear that, with some weapons, you are randomly launched into the air.  Gizmo the Cat reports this happening with a Crash Bomb.  I think this would have something to do with the zombie's new Alternate Fire, but that's about it.

April 05, 2011, 02:31:45 PM
Reply #42

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
Ah I'm probably going to change the music again (I know I know) but it will be the last time and the name will make a bit more sense.

Also:
v1c changelist -
- Rage now blasts close zombies away when activated and gives the bearer an additional 3 wtanks
The being knocked away is a result of Rage mode, or at least it should be.

I'll also put up a mediafire link for those having trouble with wadhost.

April 06, 2011, 03:23:56 AM
Reply #43

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 03:23:56 AM »
Mistakes you did:
Code: [Select]
ZOMA A 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("InfectMorpher",cos(-pitch)*50,0,32+(sin(-pitch)*50), momx, momy, sin(-pitch),0,SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM,0)should be:
ZOMA A 0 A_SpawnItemEx ("InfectMorpher",cos(-pitch)*39,0,32+(sin(-pitch)*39), momx, momy, momz,0,SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM,0)Why's that? Yours spawns too far, which can still make pointblanks fail. It should spawn at a distance that equals to playerpawn's raidus+projectile radius.

And here is the worst mistake:
ACTOR InfectMorpher : MorphProjectile
{
Damage 1
+RIPPER
Projectile
+FOILINVUL
MorphProjectile.MorphFlash ""
MorphProjectile.UnMorphFlash ""
MorphProjectile.PlayerClass "InfectedClass"
MorphProjectile.Duration 999999999999
MorphProjectile.MorphStyle MRF_FULLHEALTH|MRF_NEWTIDBEHAVIOUR|MRF_UNDOBYDEATH
Speed 25
Height 15
Radius 15
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 AAA 1
stop
}
}

Why it is wrong? Think with the "spawn" above. It means an object idles there for 3 tics. meanwhile, it also fires an object that travels too slow for 3 tics, making it EASIER to infect than it was, but WAY TOO EASY.

Instead, the projectile should be:
ACTOR InfectMorpher : MorphProjectile
{
Damage 1
+RIPPER
Projectile
+FOILINVUL
MorphProjectile.MorphFlash ""
MorphProjectile.UnMorphFlash ""
MorphProjectile.PlayerClass "InfectedClass"
MorphProjectile.Duration 999999999999
MorphProjectile.MorphStyle MRF_FULLHEALTH|MRF_NEWTIDBEHAVIOUR|MRF_UNDOBYDEATH
Speed 75
Height 15
Radius 15
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 1
stop
}
}

I knew it was strange for people to infect way too easily.

April 06, 2011, 03:45:51 AM
Reply #44

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »
Have you considered giving RegenRune to *just* the Alpha? it might protect him from being gimped/mobbed/etc. and he dies the fastest anyway(from time).