Advanced Search

Author Topic: Roguelikes - the RPGs that want you dead  (Read 3123 times)

April 11, 2014, 08:04:23 AM
Read 3123 times

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
Roguelikes - the RPGs that want you dead
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
Roguelikes are fun games with randomly generated worlds that can be as large as Minecraft's, permadeath, huge amounts of cryptic game mechanics nobody understands and completely overpowered enemies and items.

Ascension reports, memorial files, YASDs and opinions about these games go here.

Games of this RPG sub-genre include:
And many more!

April 11, 2014, 05:35:08 PM
Reply #1

Offline Isaac940

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 09, 2010, 07:13:26 PM

• View Profile
Re: Roguelikes - the RPGs that want you dead
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
Oh yeah, I heard DCSS updated to 0.14. I should try that again since I haven't in a few versions.

Some other roguelikes not on that list I've tried and liked were Dungeons of Dredmore and TOME4. Personally I like Dredmore's brand of humor and since Dredmore works by picking 7 ability trees for your character, I have fun just hitting the random button and seeing how well I do. Sometimes it works, other times it blows up horribly on floor 1. Meanwhile I also like TOME4's big selection of classes and races and the fact that it basically eliminated consumables, though since the campaign is so long it sometimes turns into a slog. Also both would be a decent jumping in point since both have ways to mitigate permadeath. In Dredmore, you can just turn it off and have normal saves if you want and in TOME4, there's a mode where your character gains lives as they level up and one with infinite lives for donators (if you buy it on Steam you automatically get the donator bonuses, and you can get TOME4 for free on the main site for it). Both also have really good modding support, both with and without Steam Workshop.

I've also played a couple of "roguelites" or "roguelike-likes" or whatever they're called and enjoyed them. Spelunky is a platformer that has a randomly generated layout each time and you start from scratch when you die, and Rogue Legacy is a platformer with rpg elements that persist through characters that has a different map every time you die also. One of my favorite games currently though, is FTL. In it you pick a ship (each of the 28 ships has a different layout, starting armament, starting crew and sometimes unique aspects) and get a randomly generated map of points to jump to, and each point has a random encounter based on the sector you're in (and the order of sectors and map of what sectors you can access changes each playthrough). The point of the game is to upgrade your ship and weapons as much as possible for the boss at the end of sector 8 while being on the run from the Rebel fleet. If you end up in a Rebel fleet controlled part of the sector you end up in a battle with a Rebel ship with the fleet taking potshots at you that do a large amount of damage when they hit and go through all shields. Also the only reward for those fights is a single unit of fuel. In a nutshell, you need to manage your health, position in terms of the Rebel fleet and exit beacon, ammunition, and scrap to reach the final boss in the best possible condition to fight it in.

As a final note, has anyone ever tried Elona? It seems interesting and I've heard hilarious stories of things that happened in the game.

April 18, 2014, 12:11:31 AM
Reply #2

Offline Swordkirby

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 02, 2014, 03:40:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
ADOM Fucking made me paranoid.

April 18, 2014, 10:40:48 AM
Reply #3

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »
A very nice but failed attempt at beating nLarn:
(click to show/hide)
I should try not to be careless. Such dumb deaths happen much too often to me.