Advanced Search

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] Port Forwarding I CANT SEE MY SERVER ON THE LIST!  (Read 89375 times)

June 18, 2011, 06:20:16 AM
Reply #45

Offline Muzaru

• Bugs/Suggestions Managers
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2010, 05:55:28 AM

• View Profile
Re: [TUTORIAL] Port Forwarding I CANT SEE MY SERVER ON THE L
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 06:20:16 AM »
Ill try it now
For about an hour or so.

Its up, as of 1:25am central time.

June 18, 2011, 07:50:10 AM
Reply #46

Offline ficarra1002

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 25, 2010, 04:32:30 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
Name?

June 18, 2011, 08:59:46 AM
Reply #47

Offline Muzaru

• Bugs/Suggestions Managers
  • Date Registered: November 27, 2010, 05:55:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
aw.. Its called the Server for Testing.

Its running classes v5c and8bdm v2b
Its still running too.

Edit... I forgot, when I was trying to get it to work from doomseeker, i changed something that I couldnt remember of... It kept asking for a version of doom, so Im using the one from the launcher...

Another Edit...
Its almost 5am, and I gotta get to sleep...
So I'll close it and try again later today.

June 20, 2011, 07:11:13 PM
Reply #48

Offline MasterXman

• Standard Member

• Status Unknown
  • Date Registered: April 26, 2011, 12:15:48 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
Ok. I did not understand any of this. Do I just host a local server then look at it's ip?

September 05, 2011, 04:40:22 PM
Reply #49

Offline rinsuru

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2011, 10:48:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Add me to the list of users unable to put up a server anyone can connect to despite all known factors being set correctly...

Here's the weird part for me, I set 10666 at the forwarded port for my internal ip (set to static dhcp of 192.168.1.80), and in the mm8bdm launcher I leave the default port at 10666,. Public server broadcast is checked, everything is default. I open up doom seeker, and lo and behold, there my external ip is....

"No response"

Ok, now the really odd part, it shows my port as 1156...

Now where the heck did that come from? So on a hunch I change my forwarded port as well as the port for the skull tag server to 1156, shutting down the old one beforehand and there I am again...except the port is now 1158.........

Ok, So I keep incrementally increasing the range, and the port continues to fleet, often taunting me with a port one number outside of the range I specified..... I tried setting the range to the max possible ie 0-65535 but at that point I can't even get google to load, not that it would matter since there's no way in hell keep every port on the router to my computer open, even if the server did work then.

I've tried both tcp and udp on at the same time as well as either on by itself, I've tried adding my ip to the router's dmz, no change. I've completely disabled the windows 7 firewall, and I do not have any additional firewall or similar such software running in the background, still nothing.

To add Insult to injury, take a gander at what the skulltag server log tells me:

P_Init: Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
ParseSectInfo: Loading sector identifications.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
using alternate port 10666
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Initializing network subsystem.
Server using alternate port 10666.
Winsock initialization succeeded!
IP address 192.168.1.80:10666

MD5 sum of skulltag.wad is a7aa1fc8dc8d8193d0e3f28586ce2e90
UDP Initialized.
MM1CUT (CUT MAN) added to map rotation list.

*** MM1CUT: CUT MAN ***

compatflags changed to: 0

Yet doomseeker, and reality, beg to differ. What gives? Might the compatflags comment at the end help shed some light on this?

September 05, 2011, 04:47:51 PM
Reply #50

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
Try this http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16461

It has worked for some but not all.

September 08, 2011, 11:20:05 AM
Reply #51

Offline rinsuru

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2011, 10:48:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
Ok, I believe I figured out why I will not be able to host a server and am reporting back in the hopes that what I learned will be of any help to those still pulling their hair out at this.

First, read this thread on the skulltag forums: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic ... 72&t=23236

I determined that my isp is definitely running a router on their end, and in my case, I don't care that much to call them and see if they will allow me to run a skulltag server. (Long story short, it's a hokey local isp outfit that I actually know the owners personally. If it comes down to them having to make a change, I'll just cut my losses and see about a friend running a server.)

Anyways, how did I determine this in my case? Well, my isp provises the service via RF towers, an antenna on the roof recieves the signal. In the house, a PoE (Power over Ethernet) box both powers the antenna and provides the internet via a standard ethernet jack.

From there we can run it to a router, and we do, but it you can also connect your computer straight to said jack. (and if my isp would have it their way, we'd be paying extra to be allowed the 'privilege' of connecting any router to 'their' internet. They still provide the exact same bandwidth, they are just greedy and want the ignorant client to pay more for the exact same thing.)

Anyways, connected via the wireless or wired to the router (different one I was trying before), I can get the proper port I forward (10666) to appear in doomseeker by my ip, albeit still unresponsive. I could get this to work with the other router via upnp, though with the same result: proper port, no response. Connecting via upnp, of course, made no difference with this router. Finally, I decided to try a direct connection to the roof antenna, taking the router entirely out of the equation (we have no modem in this setup btw).

Lo and behold, the problem of the mysterious port I didn't assign problem returned, and upnp threw a NAT error in the skulltag server now. At this point, I was pretty sure that there was a router on the isp end that I could do nothing about blocking me from running a server. I was sure of it when I noticed the WAN (external) IP that my router was reporting: a 192.168.x.x ip, definitely not my WAN IP, but the IP of another router that my router was connecting to.

So if you are experiencing the symptoms that the OP describes in that thread I linked, do yourself a favor and call up your isp about possibly running a small, private game server. If they give you bs like being unable to give you your actual ip or other weirdness and they shrug their shoulders at your problem, either see about finding a better isp, or just give up on serving anything.

I know that depending on how your isp looks at 'running a server of any scale' they may require you pay for a separate option more suited for serving to begin with, ie, one with better upload speeds that servers require. Some will outright turn a blind eye at anything they really don't want the average customer to know about, and if your options are like mine, you really don't have any other choices.

It's just as well that my isp is blocking me from running a server, the download speeds are hardly decent at times; the lag would have most likely been too much to run any kind of game server.

For those of you with a better isp, in terms of overall speed and bandwidth, you might look into trying to get a VPN working or try something like Hamachi: https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... nload.aspx I have successfully ran a netplay server for some emulators in the past at my college with hamachi, but the lag made it beyond unworkable. Scratch that, with a VPN you are directly connecting to other computers via a 'virtual lan' so someone would run a server in LAN only mode, and everyone would connect to said virtual lan to get access to it. It does the same thing more or less, albeit with a lot of lag introduced in many cases.

October 23, 2011, 01:50:49 PM
Reply #52

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
I don't know what happened. Ever since I changed my masterserver address on doomseeker I'm not able to see my server anymore.  :(

Any ideas?

October 23, 2011, 04:16:34 PM
Reply #53

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
You have to change the address in the ini file too, so it broadcasts correctly.

October 23, 2011, 04:58:50 PM
Reply #54

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »
Thanks.   :)

October 31, 2011, 11:52:51 PM
Reply #55

Offline OZX

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 03, 2011, 11:26:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
Read through people's problems, and answers, and i still can't find a way to host a server. -_-.

Well, what website do i go to when i have a WRT54GL router, and i cant get connected.Don't know teh username or password.

A little help would be nice here plz?

November 01, 2011, 12:03:45 AM
Reply #56

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »
From the first Google result:
WRT54GL Default Password & Other Default Login Data
Username: [blank]
Password: admin
If that doesn't work, then ask whoever pays the internet bills.

November 01, 2011, 07:31:53 PM
Reply #57

Offline OZX

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
Quote from: "Orange juice :l"

tried thet first one a long time ago, then i asked my mom, who i think pays the internet bills, but she didnt know.

November 01, 2011, 10:34:14 PM
Reply #58

Offline ficarra1002

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 25, 2010, 04:32:30 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »
Quote from: "omegazerox12"
Quote from: "Orange juice :l"

tried thet first one a long time ago, then i asked my mom, who i think pays the internet bills, but she didnt know.
Reset it and reconfigure?

November 01, 2011, 11:19:41 PM
Reply #59

Offline OZX

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
That would work, but my parents don't want me to risk it for some reason. :geek: