Advanced Search

Author Topic: EMPX - GZDoombuilder strikes back  (Read 7208 times)

May 30, 2016, 05:42:41 PM
Read 7208 times

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
EMPX - GZDoombuilder strikes back
« on: May 30, 2016, 05:42:41 PM »
Oh hey there! Long time no see!

So, kept you waiting, eh? Nevertheless, EMPX is finally ready for a public beta!

You can download it here! Or you can use the mediafire mirror here!

Q&A
(click to show/hide)

Now without further ado, have some screenshots!

(click to show/hide)

Music credits
(click to show/hide)

I also would like to thank Dimpsy for providing me with custom textures and sprites you see here. I'd like to thank the rest of TheMod crew for helping me test. And I'd like to thank Mendez and Rozark for providing feedback here and there.

June 02, 2016, 12:22:35 AM
Reply #1

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
Re: EMPX - GZDoombuilder strikes back
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:35 AM »
Looking great, Jake!

June 02, 2016, 01:42:29 AM
Reply #2

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:42:29 AM »
Seeing some good looking things here, can't wait to see the finished product!

June 08, 2016, 10:52:12 PM
Reply #3

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Hey all! Back again for some new progress screenshots and some more previews. I got 1 more map to make before I get a solid 10. After that will be rigorous testing and touching up and then I SHOULD be ready to put out a public, host-able file for everybody!

Enough rambling lets get on with the previews!

(click to show/hide)

Once again, special thanks to Dimpsy for providing me with some bonus sprites for this map pack, most notably for this set of images the scraps you see in EON06. Now then thanks to all of you as well for checking out the thread and I will return with another preview sometime soon!

June 09, 2016, 04:54:30 AM
Reply #4

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
AVG shows more pop-ups of itself than it blocks :I
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:54:30 AM »
All these screenshots look pretty nifty, I'm just gonna drop some suggestions that may or may not help.
-For EON01, I'm liking the placement of the big health capsule, although I'm not quite fond of where the energy capsules and tanks are. The biggest issue for me is that you have the tank lying in the middle of a route for free while the energy capsules require players to go far out of their way toward the corners. I think the opposite should be true, unless you want to encourage more people to fight for the w-tank and only use the energy capsules as a backup after skirmishes.
-For EON02, I'm not sure what the Rush Coil is gonna used for since the map looks mostly flat, aside from the thunder bolt ledge. It's better to just design a little obstacle around thunder than to make people traverse the map for an item, and then traverse back for the weapon they wanted in the first place. Trust me, nobody likes dedicating lots of time for one weapon, unless it really is that good.
-For EON03, I feel like there's too much open space in this screenshot. I mostly say that because it looks like the corner of a map instead of a centerpiece, and even then there's not a whole lot going on in this section to really draw people toward fighting/platforming there. If you can cut down the length of that stretch of land by around 128 pixels, I think you'll have just the right amount of space for that area.
The other maps look pretty solid in terms of layout, although the aesthetics could use a bit more detail in spots. This is especially true in EON06, where it looks like the walls share the same texture with the pillars/platforms. It's cool to see you bringing some new ideas to the table though, keep it up.

June 09, 2016, 05:58:45 AM
Reply #5

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:58:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! Everything will be taken into consideration. As a side note however, cleaning up aesthetics are last on my to-do list. I'm more of a substance over style kind of guy but I do want to make sure my maps are pretty to look at when they are released (as well with looking at least decent before posting screenshots).

January 12, 2017, 02:19:09 AM
Reply #6

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 02:19:09 AM »
Hey! Bumping this since its been released, kinda.

You can download it here! Or you can use the mediafire mirror here!