Advanced Search

Author Topic: Opinions on roleplaying in general?  (Read 16883 times)

February 27, 2014, 05:13:42 AM
Read 16883 times

Offline CalicoRen

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 09, 2014, 06:52:51 PM

• View Profile
Opinions on roleplaying in general?
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »
I hope this doesn't offend anyone...

One thing that seems to be extremely commonplace within the MM8BDM servers is the act of roleplaying.  Most of it is pretty harmless, but there are a few who take it to the extreme.  I once had the unpleasure of joining a server where 2 people were in the middle of roleplaying.  They were "kissing" each other and kindly asked me to leave (I think they wanted to do/say even kinkier things).  Of course I left, not wanting to see what weird stuff they were going to say.  I know RPers have garnered a bad rep among some members of the community here (I have heard stories of magical serums, people using servers to have fake sex with each other, etc).  

These days, the "hotel" servers where many of the RPers can be found tend to be the most poplulated (that, or Saxton Hale). I think it is sad to see the number of people on these hotel servers outnumber those on DM or LMS servers on a consistent basis.  What about you all?  How do you feel about RPers?

February 27, 2014, 05:27:44 AM
Reply #1

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
Re: Opinions on roleplaying in general?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:27:44 AM »
Private servers dedicated for roleplaying are completely fine, and the people that want to use them shouldn't be bothered.

Bringing serious roleplaying to other servers that are for public use and kicking out regular players is bad.

February 27, 2014, 05:33:56 AM
Reply #2

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:33:56 AM »
I just want to start by saying I don't do RPing like that. I kill people because it's a deathmatch. Duh

Anyways, if you don't like it, you can either mute the players and/or start your own server. As much as it may disgust you, you don't have to be in that server. I've been to many hotel servers where people happily kill other people without "kinky" things happening. I have been in such a server that fits your description (I just kept killing them until they vote-kicked me but that's neither here nor there), but more often than not I don't have such trouble. If you do see things like that, start your own server or just go to another; there's almost ALWAYS multiple hotel servers up.

Bottom line: I may not agree with it, but I'm not going to persecute them for it. Leave them alone and move on.

EDIT: To Kapus's point (I've never seen this though...), if they start bringing mobs of RPs to a server and kicking everyone else out, then that's a problem. My main point was concerning you stumbling upon someone ALREADY doing that. They shouldn't be allowed to come in and dominate public servers, though

February 27, 2014, 06:47:39 AM
Reply #3

Offline fabledfrostbrand

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 28, 2013, 01:01:49 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:47:39 AM »
While I agree that RPers should be left alone if they go and make their own private servers, however, most of the time this isn't the case.  I remember way back when I used Best Ever to host Vanilla Duel servers-I would sometimes read the logs and what I found in one of my logs was pretty disturbing-two players (who shall go unnamed) were "sex" rping (for lack of a better term): making out, licking each other out, etc in a Vanilla Duel server I had hosted using Best Ever.  I can only imagine what would have happened if someone had tried joining the Duel server while those two were doing that *shakes head in disgust*.  Sometimes it always isn't apparent whether two people in a server are actually playing the game, or are roleplaying, unless they happen to be in a server that is designated as such.

I guess my main issue with RPers (not that I have anything against them personally), is that there are few players that actually play MM8BDM right now.  It is all too common to join a server, find that it is full of roleplayers, then leave because you actually wanted to play and not roleplay.  Even more distressing (to me personally) is seeing servers such as Giantmega's -RP- server as being one of the most populated servers.  Pretty much why I stopped playing MM8BDM; most people would rather chat and roleplay than actually play the game.   I just hope MM8BDM doesn't develop the reputation of being the best roleplaying application of all time (sarcasm).

February 27, 2014, 07:45:42 AM
Reply #4

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »
Honestly it could be just your choice in servers, because until now I've actually never heard of in-game RPing being a huge thing. Like, at all.

Sure, I've seen RP servers with roughly five or six people at a time, but usually I'm too busy with Classes TLMS or some manner of Deathmatch to notice them.

To be frank I thought those dark days of lewd amateur-hour RP shenannigans were far behind us.

February 27, 2014, 02:43:52 PM
Reply #5

Knux

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
Quote from: "Kapus"
Private servers dedicated for roleplaying are completely fine, and the people that want to use them shouldn't be bothered.

Bringing serious roleplaying to other servers that are for public use and kicking out regular players is bad.
I was going to say this exact same thing. I find myself muting RPers when in  the middle of a game, so yeah, it gets annoying because I tend to read pretty much everything. And when I bring down the console to read what I missed, I tend to slap my face when I see things like that.

THINK OF THE FACES YOU'RE DAMAGING HNNNGGGFFF

...Though this thread should probably go into MM8BDM Discussion as this section is more for forum related issues.

February 27, 2014, 03:06:36 PM
Reply #6

Offline Hilman170499

• MM8BDM Extender

• BLUE FOR DAYS!!!
  • Date Registered: March 18, 2012, 05:49:26 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
Time for me to dish my opinions out:

What do you exactly mean by "roleplaying"? If it means buddies chatting with each other as if they were characters, I don't see anything wrong with that. Honestly, I tend to do that myself, but usually when I'm spectating or waiting to respawn in LMS/TLMS(man I hate llamas and why should it be a good thing?). The only time I do that while I play is when I'm in a spot where I can't get shot long enough for me to chat. If you find anything wrong with my definition of "roleplaying", why should there be a reason to disallow it? Privileges are privileges. However, one thing I agree is wrong is what was said about people who votekick others out of a public server for the sake of their "roleplaying". I also don't like it when it involves EVERYONE in an ENTIRE public server without their consent(e.x.:This other time, I was in a server, and some guy came in and said "the next guy to talk will be -", even if they are totally not interested or anything)(bandawagons are fine, but don't look down on people who do not join those).
In general, my presumed definition of "roleplaying" is fine, just don't let it get in the way of your gameplay and don't make it serious business.

February 27, 2014, 05:04:09 PM
Reply #7

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
Not my thing but if you're gonna do roleplaying in xyz game, do it in a server that states it and probably password protect it. ESPECIALLY if it has cheats enabled, or you might find the server suddenly exploding.

February 27, 2014, 05:06:58 PM
Reply #8

Offline Zard1084

• Donator

• The world is pain...
  • Date Registered: August 24, 2012, 11:25:00 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Zard1084
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
Quote from: "<*Hilman170499*>"
Time for me to dish my opinions out:

What do you exactly mean by "roleplaying"? If it means buddies chatting with each other as if they were characters, I don't see anything wrong with that. Honestly, I tend to do that myself, but usually when I'm spectating or waiting to respawn in LMS/TLMS(man I hate llamas and why should it be a good thing?). The only time I do that while I play is when I'm in a spot where I can't get shot long enough for me to chat. If you find anything wrong with my definition of "roleplaying", why should there be a reason to disallow it? Privileges are privileges. However, one thing I agree is wrong is what was said about people who votekick others out of a public server for the sake of their "roleplaying". I also don't like it when it involves EVERYONE in an ENTIRE public server without their consent(e.x.:This other time, I was in a server, and some guy came in and said "the next guy to talk will be -", even if they are totally not interested or anything)(bandawagons are fine, but don't look down on people who do not join those).
In general, my presumed definition of "roleplaying" is fine, just don't let it get in the way of your gameplay and don't make it serious business.
all of this! i utterly hate when i kicked out of a server just because they want to role-play in that server! if it was a role-play server i'd understand. but a normal server that everyone wants to play on? oh hell no!

February 28, 2014, 01:35:59 AM
Reply #9

Offline The Killer Nacho

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2013, 06:14:13 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »
I hate RP in general for 8BDM because there are much better games to do it on. While I can use the "ignore" function in Zand to deal with obnoxious chat, it really gets on my nerves when roleplayers treat gameplay as a complete joke, joining the game and then choosing to chat over firing a shot. Really gets annoying when everyone's sitting on chat replying to a certain roleplayers, getting killed left and right, feeding kills and screwing teammates. The problem to me goes beyond their chat: it affects the gameplay of the server.

February 28, 2014, 07:21:56 AM
Reply #10

Offline fabledfrostbrand

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 28, 2013, 01:01:49 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 07:21:56 AM »
Exactly! There are many applications/games that are way better suited for roleplaying than MM8BDM.  Seriously, I have no idea why these people don't just do this RP stuff over skype (it can't be too hard to do that, can it?).   While I do agree that RP has been less of an issue recently than it has been in the past, it still bothers me that people can't be bothered to make their own servers and password lock them if they want to RP.  And please, don't use Best Ever to host these RP servers, have some respect for the people that maintain and host these servers for goodness sake.  There was a nice period when the queen (king?) of all RP was gone, but now she (he?) is back and has her (his?) own RP server (with BE no less), so yeah...then there's that weird person who usually goes by the name of Yuno Gasai who loves to RP in game...

At the very least, we had a good number of people showing up at a 4-team Classes LMS tonight.  Wish we could generate that amount of players all the time, but for now I'll take it.  Even if some of the people there love hearing the sound of their voice waaaay too often.

February 28, 2014, 01:36:41 PM
Reply #11

Offline Dr. Crasger

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 12, 2013, 11:55:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
Ah, RPing, of the sexual kind (or any kind for that matter). I remember when it hindered me from playing. There was a whole group of them, discussing their emotional issues or something. Kept asking me to leave. Besides RPing they just discuss their virtual social lives, over 8BDM. It was a fun thing to look at, spectate, watch; in times when I was really rather bored, I would intrude over the once notorious group of people who just came to servers for RP and read their chat. Then that group suddenly started playing less and less, they were seen less on the servers.

It would seem that they're back. Oh boy.

February 28, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
Reply #12

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
I think this topic is largely useless. There is nothing Cutstuff can do about users choosing to roleplay in MM8BDM servers, private or not. Don't get me wrong, I instantly ignore roleplayers in servers I want to play in and think the fact that they choose to enter public servers where actual gameplay is occurring rather than private servers is detestable, but there is little more anyone can do or say here than that.

As far as "why would you roleplay in MM8BDM", that's not really for us to decide; if they want to roleplay in MM8BDM, then, for whatever reason, they want to do that. Concerning roleplaying in public servers (meaning, servers that are not password-protected and designated for roleplay) is a nuisance, yes, but complaining about it on the forums is pointless for two reasons.

1) Again, no action can be taken from this end, directly. All you can do is ignore the roleplayers, kick them from the public server in question, or move to a different server (there are plenty out there thanks to Best-Ever).

2) Most of the roleplayers that show up frequently nowadays are not active (or even inactive) members of Cutstuff. Even if they are, they hardly ever/never make their presence known. And, even if those users that tend to roleplay were to see this thread and enter into the discussion, condition (1) means that it is unlikely anything productive will come from the ensuing confrontation.

Actually, the best course of action when one sees roleplayers in public servers is to politely request them to move to one of the designated roleplaying servers. If they don't comply, then follow up with your ignore and, if they are taking up space for players who may want to play (such as if a server is close to full), a kick.

After everything I have said, all this thread can amount to now is a virtually one-sided rant against a group of people, with little to no potential for additional productivity.

March 01, 2014, 05:13:47 AM
Reply #13

Offline The Killer Nacho

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2013, 06:14:13 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 05:13:47 AM »
Well, the thread topic is "Opinion on roleplaying in general?" so he could just be curious if he's not alone in disliking RP. The rest of your points are valid though.

March 01, 2014, 12:19:01 PM
Reply #14

Offline Dr. Crasger

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 12, 2013, 11:55:36 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
I largely agree with King Dumb's argument.