Advanced Search

Author Topic: A game for those who like M:TG or Pokemon TCG, but only have playing cards!  (Read 2229 times)

October 09, 2016, 01:43:57 AM
Read 2229 times

Offline Fourthwallbreak

• Standard Member

• I hope this pic's link doesn't change
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2016, 12:11:23 AM

• View Profile
So I was sitting around one day, messing with playing cards and thought, "Man, these cards sure are fun to mess with, but I don't know any fun games (Aside from some of the obvious games that everyone knows)!" Then I thought about the Pokemon cards sitting in my closet and thought, "Hey, what if I made a game like the Pokemon TCG or something of that sort, but with playing cards?" And then I stopped working on that project and did some other stuff, like MM8BDM. But recently, I revisited the idea after a friend let me try out Magic: the Gathering with them. And so, this game (which has no official name and constantly changing rules) was born. And I tried it out with some family members, and it seemed to be a big hit. And now, I'm sharing it with whoever desires to read this post. And if you're still reading this, I'm sorry for the long description. On to the rules and stuff!

-What you need
  2 decks of 54 playing cards (52 cards and 2 jokers in each)
  That's all you need.

-Terminology
  Fighter: A character played to the field as an attacking force. Formed with 3 cards: A Face Card of any suit other than 
   hearts, a numerical card of the same suit as the face card (attack value), and a numerical card of the heart suit (defense
   value).
  Guardian: A character played to the field as a one-time attack-absorbing defense line. Represented by a face card of Hearts

-Start of the Game
  The game starts with both players shuffling their decks and drawing 7 cards from their decks. Then, the top card of each
   deck is turned face up. Whichever player has the higher card of these two goes first. Rank in this draw is Joker, 2-10, J, Q,
   K, A. Both players also start with 100 health, but this value can be set lower for faster games.

-On your turn
  1. Draw a card, reveal attack values (if necessary), and discard played Aces (if necessary)
  2. Play up to one Fighter (with attack face-down) and up to one Guardian to the field. (See terminology for descriptions of
      what cards go with these)
  3. Play any of the following cards in any order (up to three per turn, and only one of any type per turn):
     a. Ace: Place on top of a fighter for 1.5 times attack and defense for one turn, or play on a guardian for 2 attack
         absorbances.
     b. Two: Discard the Two and draw two cards
     c. Three: Same as Two, but with a Three and three cards
     d. Four: Discard the Four, draw the top four cards, choose one card, place it in your hand, and discard the rest.
     e. Five: Discard your hand (with the five) and draw five new cards
     f. Joker: Either Shuffle your discard pile into your deck OR Remove one Fighter from your opponent's field.
  4. Play a Fighter or a Guardian if you did not in step 2.
  5. Attack

-Attacking
  Each Fighter gets one attack per turn. The attack of the fighter is determined by the value of the numerical card of the
   Fighter's suit. Guardians must be attacked first, and with the card with the highest attack value. If the Guardian has an Ace
   on it, it takes two attacks, so the two highest attack values hit it first.
  When attacking Fighters, the suits do have a purpose. Diamond does 2x damage to Spades, as does Spades to Clubs and
   Clubs to Diamonds. Meanwhile, Diamonds do 1/2 damage to Clubs, as does Clubs to Spades and Spades to Diamonds. An
   attack's value can be determined like this:

Attack times Effectiveness[2, 1, or .5] times Ace [1.5 if there is one on the fighter] minus
     Opponent's Defense times Ace [1.5 if the opponent has one on their fighter]

it seems complicated, but it's quite simple once you figure it out.
  If the opponent has nothing defending them, you instead attack their health, which should be self-explanitory.

-Winning
  When your opponenet's health drops to 0 or your opponent has no cards to draw at the beginning of their turn, you win.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and please, let me know if this is the proper place for this thread.

-EDIT- (Oct. 9, 2016)
  It seems I have left out an important detail related to attacking. If the calculation for attack comes out to equal zero,
   draw the top card of both decks and compare. If the attacker's card is higher, the recipient of the attack is removed.
   If the defender's card is higher, the attacked card is left on the field. Both drawn cards are then discarded.

November 14, 2016, 01:24:53 AM
Reply #1

Offline Fourthwallbreak

• Standard Member

• I hope this pic's link doesn't change
  • Date Registered: August 22, 2016, 12:11:23 AM

• View Profile
Rule Changes (11-13-2016)
After playing a few rounds with some extra rules, I decided to implement the extra rules into the game.

- Additions
  - Actions
    6: Play face-down behind Fighters. Upon enemy attack, you may show the 6 to the opponent, discard it, and draw 2   
        cards.
    7: Play face-down behind Fighters. Upon enemy attack, you may show the 7 to the opponent, discard it, and
        redirect the total damage of the attack to the Fighter that attacked. (This includes Ace boosts and
        Weakness/Resist, and damage dealt in this manner must be deflected to Defenders first if possible)
    8: Play face-down behind Fighters. Upon enemy attack, you may show the 8 to the opponent, discard it, and deal
        damage to your opponent's health equal to half of the damage the attack dealt to you/the attacked fighter. (This
        includes Ace boosts and Weakness/Resist)

- Changes
  - Actions
    2- Negate effects of all enemy attacks for one turn. (This does not include damage done by face-down cards)
    Removed 1 of each type of card limit
    Action limit increased from 3 to 5
    Attacks may be made as soon as a Fighter is played, except on the first turn, and Attack values are not placed face-
    down