Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
Eyo Crash don't call me a faggot you nameless jerk
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 12:46:37 AM »
I'm hosting a 1-night server to help test my first map, so you're welcome to join and watch and listen and obviously play the first official map of AMP-2.
[Redacted]
Thanks to Rozark, Knux, FGG, Sanictrillster, and others for giving some feedback and advice on the map! I promise the final version will feel a little smoother and better to play on. Now I'll move on to AMP02 - Glazgow Style Mile

March 22, 2016, 01:27:30 AM
Reply #31

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
AMP02: Glazgow Style Mile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 01:27:30 AM »
Have you ever had those days where you feel super positive and relaxed before you're bombarded with a bunch of images on Imgur on Monday and you suddenly grit your teeth and remember-
Well, in an attempt to move on with the map pack, I'm currently producing a bunch of small sprites for use in the glazgow style mile. The next map will be styled like a mall and use the same kind of aesthetics previously seen in Glazty's version of the mall map. The map will also be partially based on the mall in my hometown since it has a pretty cool ice rink that I've never had the money/ice skating skills to use ): The layout is still being thought of, so don't expect any map screenshots until Wednesday at the earliest. In the meantime, I need you guys to give me ideas for shop names based on Cutstuff members. If you want to be immortalized with a cheeky shop name, just post in this topic. Here's some of the sprites I've come up with so far:
(click to show/hide)
Expect a picture/rant for Tuesday's update, and then I'll start making the map on Wednesday.
March 22 Update
So for everyone who was on Skype giving me ideas yesterday (especially Jax, FGG, and Raveman), I'd like to thank you guys a ton because I honestly would not have thought of most of these on my own and now the map will look several times more interesting than I had previously imagined. If you wanna see all the shopnames made so far, just check out this link. I've got 18 shopnames added so far, and I'll likely add a few more before finally importing them into the map and producing the layout. Speaking of producing maps though, someone recently asked me a good question on why I'm suddenly getting back into mapping and I'd figure I'd give an explanation.
[3/20/2016 6:49:06 PM] Rozark Kyouko: what made you reach the conclusion that things were getting stale?
[3/20/2016 6:49:19 PM] Rozark Kyouko: I've known that myself for awhile but I'm just curious
When you're coming out of a breakup, you see things with much more cynical eyes, so when I tried to get back into the game, I found myself only playing for five minutes and then leaving out of boredom. I guess it was when I started asking myself why I couldn't play for more than 5 minutes at a time, I started looking more critically at the maps that I was playing on. Honestly, the maps didn't feel stale. They felt static. Like, you see the map once and you already know what it's gonna look like the next time you play it. Nothing moves, nothing flashes, nothing changes, nothing catches my eyes, it's all nothing but a collection of rooms and corridors to me. Nothing changes except the mode you play it on, which means the only way you can keep a game fresh is by adding new toys to play with. The toyroom you play in never changes though. And the toyroom doesn't amplify your fun, it just houses it. So I really started asking myself "How do we make maps great again?" Well, the best idea I came up with was to make moving around the map as fun as it could be. I think one of the most recent examples I can come up with would have to be SHA15, and in particular a single room where the player feels challenged to time their jumps properly. You all likely know the room I'm talking about, but in case you forget:
(click to show/hide)
And so this is where I take a good moment to realize that this is one of the VERY FEW times in recent memory where a map has challenged the player to make a jump. But it's not even a hard jump either, and there's no major consequences for falling. Better yet, this jump is treated as part of the layout because it connects two areas together. It's one of those moments where I realize the reason that maps have felt static is because they've felt too safe and played it too careful because they fear the player would hate to be challenged by the map unless the challenge was a bunch of stairs. Screw that, I've climbed enough stairs in my life to know that's no fun. But SHA15 is fun. It's fun because I'm constantly kept on my toes by the jumps required to traverse the map. It's fun because those jumps are complimented by the silky flow of the layout. It's fun because this is the first time I could sense a custom map asking me "are you good enough to play on me?" and I smiled as I replied "Damn right I am". We've honestly forgotten that Megaman 8-bit deathmatch is supposed to be a marriage of shooting and platforming and that the platforming is what distinguishes us from 90% of other shooters. I'm hoping the next expansion gives me more of the creative platforming that's made it fun for me to play on the maps themselves and less of the baby toyrooms I get shoved down my throat on a near-endless basis. Experiment, change, evolve, adapt, remodel, innovate, do what you have to do. As long as you don't give me more of the same, I'll be happy. And we'll all be better for it.
March 23 Update
I got about 1/4 of the layout drawn out, and it's probably the most complex part of the layout since it involves the use of 3d floors on top of regular floors. The map is looking to be about 3500x3500, which is really stretching the limits of map size, but my plan is to use line teleporters/fast escalators/the ice rink to make travelling convenient. Expect more of the layout to be drawn tomorrow.
(click to show/hide)
March 24 Update (2 A.M.)
Can't really sleep so I'm just drawing whatever parts of the layout I feel certain about. Finally got the ice rink drawn which is nice. Gonna get some sleep and then start adding some stores and thinking of little games to put into Rave & Busters south of the ice rink.
(click to show/hide)
March 24 Update (10 P.M.)
Still drawing the basic parts of the layout I'm feeling certain about, but honestly there's this biiiig empty space in the eastern half of the map that I might just cut down on so we'll see how it goes. Here's another important lesson for all aspiring mappers out there: Give every space a purpose. I think it's easy to cover up meaningless space with complex routes and cover, but when you're playing on other maps next time, take a good look at where people go and how often you use certain rooms or routes. If the map is at least above decent, you'll see people using a route or room more than once. Sometimes though, I see there's spots that get avoided altogether because they have nothing to offer or feel too hard to reach. I could cover up the empty space with kiosks and plants, but honestly I'd prefer to have cover only if it benefits the people on the first floor. Now that I think about it, the second floor barely has any cover. Ugh, I really should just replace the second floor with a movie theater or something. Or maybe give the second floor some more plants and cool paths. Or maybe get rid of the department store in the north end and put it in the east end, make some connections to paths on the second floor, put a cool jewelry store somewhere, and then add plants and kiosks to the second and first floor. Don't expect this layout to look the same tomorrow, I'm gonna cut a lot of empty space tonight and hopefully have the layout done by tomorrow.
(click to show/hide)
March 25 Update
(click to show/hide)
Back to our regularly scheduled program, the layout for the map is now 99% done. I managed to fit every shop into the map and locate them according to similarities and assumed preferrences, so basically everyone has shops that are right next to their friends or peers and all that jazz. If you want me to move your shop closer to someone else's, just let me know. Here's the proper version of the image you saw just above you.
(click to show/hide)
Now I think the biggest question on your mind would be what all those lines and sectors translates to. Well, here's a series of images to explain how the layout will look.
(click to show/hide)
Tomorrow will be focused on making all the map gimmicks functional, and then comes the SUUUUUUUPER tedious task of texturing everything so that it all looks
March 29 Update
So there's three reasons I've been unable to update for the past few days, and 2 of them have to do with the map itself while the last reason is related to failing to take over the 8bdm dev team college classes starting again. So, remember when I said that I would make the map gimmicks functional? I've kinda pushed that to the side because I realize that would be more tedious than texturing the whole map. I decided to use some tilesets given to me by the 8bdm dev team for King 1 (The texture set should be posted in the 3rd post) and tried applying them to the mall so I can have a bright friendly look. This is the result so far:
(click to show/hide)
So it looks nice imo, and it may look a bit too plain now, but the plan is to make each shop as colorful and distinct as possible to add more variety and life to the map. The reasoning behind using King 1's tileset is because I needed a bright but simple palette that didn't draw attention to itself, similar to how most of a mall's walls are painted a plain color so that the shops can stand out even better. Obviously, though, I didn't want to spam a single color across every part of the map so I'm using a mixture of Tengu and Wily Tower 2 textures to add a bit of diversity. We'll see how decorating the shops goes later, but for now my main focus is just getting everything but the shops looking spiffy.
March 31 Update
After a super exhausting day of classes and exercise and home cooking, I'm back to work on texturing the map to my liking. The process is a bit slow because right now I'm working on the flagship stores (Ivo, Jax, Rave&Busters, Glazty Theatres) and it's hard thinking of a distinct palette for each one. For Jax/YDMaxx, I went with the same palette seen in AMP01 with Wily Tower 2 textures mixed with light grey and light blue.
(click to show/hide)
Rave & Busters is also done, which leaves Ivo and Glazty Theatres. The plan for Ivo is to use museum textures along with pictures of some of Ivory's maps scrolling along. For Glazty theatres, it'll mostly have a red carpet and darker textures and a golden concession stand, along with whatever comes to mind as I continue working. The gimmicks are still not functional except for the escalators, but that's fine by me as long as the map looks nice before the programming is started. The biggest concern is how... plain the food court looks to the rest of the map, but I guess I just haven't added any detail to the restaurants there which causes me to worry about the aesthetics more than I should. More updates and work is expected for tomorrow since I don't have lectures.
April 1 Update
It looks like I'm on track to have the map ready by Sunday afternoon, seeing as how decorating the shops isn't as tedious as I previously thought. I've got about 3 of the 18 side shops done: Blaze M.C. Pizza, Smashburger, and Forever 28. I'm not sure if I should change the colors of the signs to match with the textures, but who knows. Each shop will use a certain stage's tileset, so obviously Stardust's will use Time Man's green and brown tiles. Mike will go with a wily tileset, Shadidas will get Darkman, etc. Here's the progress done so far:
(click to show/hide)
Expect me to finally get to programming the gimmicks tomorrow, and (hopefully) we can all test it on Sunday or Monday at the latest.
April 1 Update (Part 2)
Got another batch of shops done, I'm happy with how they're turning out although it's pretty tricky for me to add much detail when I have only about 192-384 pixels of free space to work with, so the most I can do for each shop is a few pillars, something overhead, and doors. What's keeping me motivated though is a really cool song that I've had looping for the past hour, I hope you guys like it. In the meantime, here's a screenshot of the batch of shops I finished detailing.
(click to show/hide)
April 2 Update
I spent last night fighting a rough cold, but it's mostly gone now so I'm decorating the last 6 shops before finishing off the decorations for Ivo and Glazty Theatres. After that comes the programming for the two minigames in Rave & Busters and the elevator in the southwest corner. I told a friend that I'd hang out with him today though so just enjoy this screenshot.
(click to show/hide)

March 22, 2016, 05:34:09 PM
Reply #32

Offline IamaMedalHunter

• MM8BDM Extender

• Whimsical Metal Cyclops
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2014, 12:00:09 AM

• View Profile
    • Medal's Youtube, idk, I'm not a YTber
Re: AMP02: Glazgow Style Mile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:09 PM »
Quote from: "Mendez"
I need you guys to give me ideas for shop names based on Cutstuff members.

And thus, countless names were mercilessly butchered :

(click to show/hide)

Yeah. You asked or it. Although I'm sorry for the slaughter, I really like the names I've given to Blaze's, Blews's, Jax's and Stardust's shops :3 .

March 22, 2016, 06:57:13 PM
Reply #33

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
Re: AMP 2
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
You didn't do me? Forshaaaaame
We actually did a WHOLE lot in skype last night right after he posted this.
Though he did Rozark in the first set, you came up with the exact same thing Stardust did for himself.
Mendez surprisingly didn't come up with one for himself, unless he just hasn't shown us yet.
Here is the list of everything that got suggested, many were between Stardust and me (+my fiancee onlooking) coming up with stuff
(click to show/hide)

March 22, 2016, 08:29:41 PM
Reply #34

Knux

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
MW Knux (Knux + MW Tux[Formal wear])

Pizza Knux
Neither of these were my input but I'm okay with either since I couldn't find anything good or witty.

March 22, 2016, 11:09:34 PM
Reply #35

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
I went with MW Knux since it looked fancy and I already had a lot of restaurants

March 23, 2016, 04:13:11 AM
Reply #36

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 04:13:11 AM »
Quote from: "IamaMedalHunter"
SuperJustin & Bros (SuperJustinBros + Justice & Brothers[teen clothing])
I lol'd quite a bit at this.

April 03, 2016, 07:39:28 PM
Reply #37

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 07:39:28 PM »
I'm finally done with AMP02 so if you guys wanna test, I'll be hosting a server today to help work out any last bugs/issues. The link for the wad, and the server, will be taken down after today so this is gonna be your only chance to catch a glimpse of the Glazgow Style Mile before I begin work on my next map. The server should be up shortly after the end of this post.
AMP02 - Glazgow Style Mile
April 3: 6 P.M. update
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, everyone, I really didn't test the minigame as much as I should have haha. That should be fixed for now at least, which is good. I'll keep the map up on best-ever since it seems like people would want to use it as an RP map, so I don't mind that. I'll make some small additions tonight and then spend tomorrow talking to a pal about making another map for the pack. If he's really dedicated to the idea, I'll skip work on AMP03 to help produce the map with him. Otherwise, expect me to make an update regarding the next map tomorrow - Graffiti Rhapsody.

April 05, 2016, 06:32:10 AM
Reply #38

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
AMP14: Surf's Up
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 06:32:10 AM »
We interrupt this story about a lonely young man overcoming the fallout of his preventable breakup with his first love and his search for atonement to tell you the story of his friend, who after several years now feels ready to depart and move on from the community he's grown attached to.
Okay, now that we got that overdramatic crap out of the way, this next map is going to be based on water and ruins, using MWS and Centaur textures to produce a gloomy and torn aesthetic that hopefully goes well with the stage gimmicks we have in mind. By the way, I'm making this map with another person since they've been insisting on working with me for some time. Right now, we're gathering ideas for stage gimmicks to give off the feeling of a stage that's slowly falling apart as you play on it. So what that means is having 3d floors that can collapse and cause players to fall toward the bottom of the stage. Before I even begin imagining the layout, I always like to do "proof-of-concept" maps first that show my idea is possible. This was the case with more innovative maps such as High Tide and Ruby Queen.
Here is the concept map in case you wanna see what I'm talking about. So far, I've got good news and bad news regarding the proof-of-concept for collapsing floors. The good news is that floors can collapse just fine. The bad news is that players who get caught under the collapsing floor get stuck and become unable to move until the floor has passed through them or stopped moving. Now, the best remedy I can come up with is making the floors collapse quickly enough so that the player doesn't feel stuck for more than a quarter of a second. That still leaves the issue of getting the floor to rise again, since it's hard to get the invisible bridges to sync up with the non-solid 3d floors. I've tried using a scaling factor so that the bridge and 3d floor can fall at the same speed, but that didn't seem to work very well either. If anyone wants to suggest anything, then please post some ideas in the topic. Right now, the plan is just to get the concepts working together before putting them to use in a nice layout.
Also, here's the music chosen so far for the stage. It's not exactly as exciting or raw like the other tracks, so I'm planning to replace it when I find something better. I just need a track that sounds sober but also a bit invigorating. Like "yeah this is my last map and the last time I'll see the community, but at least let me go out on a high note before I go" kind of music. Oh well, this might take a while.
April 13 Update
University and uncertainty has been eating up my time, but I'm slowly forcing myself to learn just enough DECORATE to make the stage I've thought about doing for a while now. So, the name has been changed because the aesthetic/themes of this stage remind me a lot of Brian Wilson's song. In my head, since this is the second to last map in the pack, I wanted to go for a more somber and reflective tone with a stage that crumbes around me as I watch my memories and ideas literally breaking before my very eyes. So what does this mean? Earthquakes like in Ruby Queen, walls that can be destroyed, and statues of all my old friends that can be destroyed, along with flooding like in High Tide so it looks like the stage is being submerged. Now earthquakes and flooding is totally doable for me. Destructible statues is something I'm learning to do right now. The really annoying part is making walls that can be chipped down. If you want to know what I'm talking about, here is a map that shows the concept I'm going for. And if you don't have GZDoomBuilder, here's a screenshot:
(click to show/hide)
So with projectile weapons, the walls work exactly as intended. The walls flash white for a second, their ceiling is raised a bit, and you basically carve a nice little path for yourself. Now, getting the wall to detect explosive/AOE damage like with Crash Bomb/Rain Flush is where the concept falls flat on its face. I need an invisible object to detect the explosive/aoe damage and call on the script that raises the ceiling, but that's pretty much impossible unless I want a shootable actor with a 64-pixel radius, and that is way too fat for my liking. I'm trying to see if it's possible to make an object that is 8x64 pixels with a 192-pixel height so that it can be used against the wall without a problem. For now though, I gotta ask everyone: Would you be fine with a wall that only breaks from projectiles? Or should I go the extra mile to include explosive/aoe damage as well? All the other gimmicks should be ready for use soon, and the layout shouldn't take too long to produce. This is pretty much the only thing holding me back from starting the layout right now.
Also, before I forget, here's some of the statue sprites I plan to use soon:
(click to show/hide)
April 15 Update
I'm looking at the concepts I want to use, and I've settled on earthquakes and floods. I'm sorry, but making destructible walls that look nice is almost impossible unless I want to settle for retextured oil canisters. Of course, this is fine for me because the last 5 maps are meant to be about changing environments without player intervention. What that means is the stage changes around you, and you have to adapt to it. So with earthquakes, I'm changing up the formula from Ruby Queen and having terrain that rumbles and changes its height at random to provide cover/steps/walls/peus to keep the stage consistently fresh. To help demonstrate, take a look at this map I've posted on dropbox. What you'll see is a flat surface at first, followed by a sudden shift that creates new and unique terrain that can used for many different things. They could be the steps to a new path, they could be a wall that forces you to take a new path, or they could be a new path being cleared after a previous earthquake. Here's some screenshots to show what I mean.
(click to show/hide)
With my two stage gimmicks figured out, there's still the question of creating destructible statues like I mentioned earlier. The good news is that all the sprites have been produced and the only part left is coding. Here's a dropbox link that shows the statue sprites I plan to use. They're different robot masters or old skins that remind me of old friends, and the idea is that you have to destroy these statues in order to get a powerful item or pickup. Yes, the Hard Man statue will be hard to destroy. Yes, it will hide a very nice reward. Yes, it means something to me. Yes, I'm learning to just let go already, stop pestering me.
Expect me to take a break for Saturday as I celebrate my 21st birthday with drinks and friends, but expect a sign of work on Sunday as I finally work toward laying down the first sectors that will make up the penultimate map in this pack.
By the way, I changed the name of some maps because I wanted more names that reminded me of songs. For example, I'm naming my map "What Would I Want? Sky" after an Animal Collective song.

April 16, 2016, 06:04:20 PM
Reply #39

Offline HeelNavi

• Standard Member

• ᚵ ᚨ ᛘ ᛁ ᛀ ᚵ
  • Date Registered: January 25, 2014, 05:14:46 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
wait wait wait
so I'm not in your mall map eh just because i'm french is it
i'll let you know sir that i have like 30 POSTS HERE so a little respect towards me pls

btw i want a fireman statue gbye xdd

April 17, 2016, 05:31:48 PM
Reply #40

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Yeah. You asked or it. Although I'm sorry for the slaughter, I really like the names I've given to Blaze's, Blews's, Jax's and Stardust's shops :3 .

I feel super left out  :cry:

April 18, 2016, 12:30:25 AM
Reply #41

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »
Yeah, I've considered making an expandable version of the mall map so that other mappers could add shops dedicated to their favorite cutstuff members. It sucks because I know there's some people I had to leave out of my map due to space (Saviorsword, Lobsters, Darkaura, etc.). Also, I decided to make the fireman statue like someone else suggested since I remember Rtist using that skin quite often. I'll get to coding the sprites soon and then start producing the layout during the week.

June 12, 2016, 04:55:10 AM
Reply #42

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2016, 04:55:10 AM »
Heya, this is just a quick update to say that the university ate up a lot of my time, along with some other personal things that don't matter much. The prototype for the statues is done, and I have a week all to myself for producing maps so I'm gonna go and get a new map done by this Friday, guaranteed. Also, I went ahead and renamed the maps for possibly the last time so that they made more sense than just shoehorning a bunch of songnames there. Expect screenshots this week, or you can call me a talentless hack.

June 16, 2016, 07:50:10 PM
Reply #43

Offline Dimpsy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: January 15, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 07:50:10 PM »
Quote from: "Watzup7856"

(click to show/hide)

I feel super left out  :cry:
I feel the pain, though I think the map looks good and if I really cared about that so much I'd shove myself in there clientside-only (unless I could request a cameo for shits 'n giggles).
Probably as a joke to Dimps.

June 19, 2016, 04:59:27 AM
Reply #44

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Well..
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 04:59:27 AM »
Expect screenshots this week, or you can call me a talentless hack.

It's been at least 7 days and I'm 4 minutes overdue.
You're a talentless hack :^)