Advanced Search

Author Topic: Rom Hack Map Pack  (Read 14432 times)

November 14, 2014, 08:05:01 PM
Reply #15

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
Re: Rom Hack Map Pack
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
Sadly, this project has ended up being yet another one of those projects that is highly ambitious and full of hope, yet ends up being far more than what it capable from any of us.

It's doubtful that this will ever see the light of day any time soon.

November 15, 2014, 05:02:16 AM
Reply #16

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2014, 11:04:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 05:02:16 AM »
Even though this one was highly possible :l

November 15, 2014, 06:11:55 AM
Reply #17

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 06:11:55 AM »
It's a map pack, I don't think you realize that maps are the thing that holds back most expansions from ever seeing the light of day.

November 15, 2014, 07:00:38 AM
Reply #18

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Basic mapping layouts are hard now?
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 07:00:38 AM »
Oh. So I'm guessing coding is not a somewhat long and tedious thing?
or actors?
or weapons?
or textures?

No. Surely I do not realize. Teach me, O wise one.

Now that I think about it, is it? Mapping is not hard to do, UNLESS you are doing for quality so much so that someone is going to heavily critique it and you hope it pleases them and of course I am not counting the things I mentioned above.
Im going head long into this one I'm pretty sure things are the things that hinder an expansion not simply making a map. any mapper can do a map pack, in fact I'm doing one! 4 maps done within 4 weeks + open reviews and checking!

November 15, 2014, 12:49:35 PM
Reply #19

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
You've got a lot to learn about how this works.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
Quote from: "BookofDobson"
or actors?
or weapons?
or textures?

Now that I think about it, is it? Mapping is not hard to do, UNLESS you are doing for quality so much so that someone is going to heavily critique it and you hope it pleases them and of course I am not counting the things I mentioned above.
Im going head long into this one I'm pretty sure things are the things that hinder an expansion not simply making a map. any mapper can do a map pack, in fact I'm doing one! 4 maps done within 4 weeks + open reviews and checking!

Anyone can make a map pack; only a few people can make a good map pack. Just look at which packs have succeeded and failed over the past year. Why, I bet you don't remember most of the failed ones as they've disappeared into obscurity as quickly as they appeared. As the leader of the 4MI expansion, I can 100% confirm that motivation and mapping are the two things that keep an expansion from being released. People want quality control, not maps that look like they've been made in 2-3 hours. As a result, much energy and time, unpaid mind you, is needed in order to keep these fan expansions/packs afloat. This "expansion" if you were to call it that, is dead as a result of this. As a side note, please refrain from advertising your pack in a completely unrelated thing.

November 15, 2014, 06:16:04 PM
Reply #20

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member

• View Profile
2 hard 4 me apparently
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
Quote from: "BookofDobson"
or actors?
or weapons?
or textures?

Anyone can make a map pack; only a few people can make a good map pack. Just look at which packs have succeeded and failed over the past year. Why, I bet you don't remember most of the failed ones as they've disappeared into obscurity as quickly as they appeared. As the leader of the 4MI expansion, I can 100% confirm that motivation and mapping are the two things that keep an expansion from being released. People want quality control, not maps that look like they've been made in 2-3 hours. As a result, much energy and time, unpaid mind you, is needed in order to keep these fan expansions/packs afloat. This "expansion" if you were to call it that, is dead as a result of this. As a side note, please refrain from advertising your pack in a completely unrelated thing.

>advertising
... How is mentioning an example of my pace on my map pack remotely advertising?

And no I don't remember failed ones sorry.  To be honest, I can't speak for people motivation but LOL %100 it's mapping? So I'm guessing everything else is done? The stuff i listed is done? No?  I get the quality control (aka background shit to make stuff more appealing because I don't see what's so hard of getting a basic layout, reviewing it on skype or something, then adding or revising things) and ofc a map doesn't take 2 to 3 hours to make (not sure if that was implying something).

Motivation aside, you are making it sound like its harder than it actually is.

November 15, 2014, 08:35:55 PM
Reply #21

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
I'm done again
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
Yea you still aren't getting it.

November 15, 2014, 09:17:23 PM
Reply #22

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
Hi.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
Since BookOfDobson is a newer member, he hasn't seen all the expansions that are aspired yet never come to pass. Rozark, he was not advertising, he was just using an example to get his point across that it doesn't always need to take infinite time to get the maps done.

Some people a lot better than others when it comes to making good layouts and designs, and even those that can finish making good quality maps have to face the bombardment of nitpicking and demotivation from those who would rather tear the mappers apart.

A few of the maps for this map pack did end up getting finished, but for what we aspired to achieve (about 10 maps per release?), there was too much for the few of use to achieve. I remember how much I was looking forward to fully creating the map for Clashman's stage in Rockman 2 Minimum, yet I've always lacked the ability of getting the designs in my head onto Doom Builder, and could never get far with that map. Heck, in all my years of mapping I've only finished 1 map that I'm satisfied with. Unless you're great with level design, mapping is usually too big of a task with maps for expansions.

As for what else in this expansion was done. Weapons? Yeah, those were easy. Considering how creating them in huge quantity is a lot more possible than maps, a rom hack weapons pack might be worth considering.

I guess this thread may as well be locked seeing how there's no hope of this project ever being started back up, along with many other expansions. Mods, do as you wish with this thread.

November 15, 2014, 11:41:44 PM
Reply #23

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member

• View Profile
On a scale of 1 -10 how done are you? :D
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
Yea you still aren't getting it.
Maybe if you didn't act like I don't know the painfully obvious every time you confronted me Roz.

Quote from: "BiscuitSlash"
Since BookOfDobson is a newer member, he hasn't seen all the expansions that are aspired yet never come to pass. Rozark, he was not advertising, he was just using an example to get his point across that it doesn't always need to take infinite time to get the maps done.

Some people a lot better than others when it comes to making good layouts and designs, and even those that can finish making good quality maps have to face the bombardment of nitpicking and demotivation from those who would rather tear the mappers apart.

A few of the maps for this map pack did end up getting finished, but for what we aspired to achieve (about 10 maps per release?), there was too much for the few of use to achieve. I remember how much I was looking forward to fully creating the map for Clashman's stage in Rockman 2 Minimum, yet I've always lacked the ability of getting the designs in my head onto Doom Builder, and could never get far with that map. Heck, in all my years of mapping I've only finished 1 map that I'm satisfied with. Unless you're great with level design, mapping is usually too big of a task with maps for expansions.

As for what else in this expansion was done. Weapons? Yeah, those were easy. Considering how creating them in huge quantity is a lot more possible than maps, a rom hack weapons pack might be worth considering.

I guess this thread may as well be locked seeing how there's no hope of this project ever being started back up, along with many other expansions. Mods, do as you wish with this thread.

Not that new but yes, I never kept up to date with the map packs that were never released. I clearly know that motivation and critique (or fear of) are both VERY heavy factors on what gets done. I also never thought weapons are easy cuz holy shit all that code!
 But yea Mods, lock this thread .

November 16, 2014, 01:42:36 AM
Reply #24

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 01:42:36 AM »
May as well, considering there's nothing left here but arguments and the owner seems to have no real interest in this anymore.

If you want to revive this, send me a PM.